Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25.03.2010, 13:38
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Basel
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Eeyore has no particular reputation at present
IT Training

Sort of employment related I guess.....

Does anyone know any English speaking IT training companies in the Basel area (preferably)?

The kinds of courses I need are MCITP (used to be MCSE) courses.

I have a feeling if I don't get some new exams, I will never be offered a job. Despite years in the business.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25.03.2010, 13:40
PlantHead's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,680
Groaned at 65 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,015 Posts
PlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IT Training

Self study?
Or just get a subscription to braindumps and pass the exams by learning the questions and answers.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25.03.2010, 13:43
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Basel
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Eeyore has no particular reputation at present
Re: IT Training

I'm looking for proper class based courses.

Seeing as the nice people at the RAV can pay for them.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25.03.2010, 13:48
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,030
Groaned at 128 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 532 Times in 282 Posts
markalex has an excellent reputationmarkalex has an excellent reputationmarkalex has an excellent reputationmarkalex has an excellent reputation
Re: IT Training

Choose your courses carefully; I think if you look on the market you'll find Microsoft consultants are 10chf a dozen; Might be worth looking at something a bit more business focused such as CISA or CISSP.

Flights to the UK are not so expensive; the problem finding a place to stay while your on the course that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25.03.2010, 13:50
PlantHead's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,680
Groaned at 65 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,015 Posts
PlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IT Training

For someone with knowledge of IT already I would recommend SQL or Oracle...seems to be a massive shortage of DBAs in Switerzerland at the moment...also Sharepoint seems to be a remarkably popular skill requirement.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank PlantHead for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 25.03.2010, 13:55
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,030
Groaned at 128 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 532 Times in 282 Posts
markalex has an excellent reputationmarkalex has an excellent reputationmarkalex has an excellent reputationmarkalex has an excellent reputation
Re: IT Training

Quote:
View Post
For someone with knowledge of IT already I would recommend SQL or Oracle...seems to be a massive shortage of DBAs in Switerzerland at the moment...also Sharepoint seems to be a remarkably popular skill requirement.
I think this is a excellent suggestion; ITIL and PMI training a possibility too?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25.03.2010, 14:45
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,459
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IT Training

Quote:
View Post
Sort of employment related I guess.....

Does anyone know any English speaking IT training companies in the Basel area (preferably)?

The kinds of courses I need are MCITP (used to be MCSE) courses.

I have a feeling if I don't get some new exams, I will never be offered a job. Despite years in the business.
There are some good courses you can do in Portugal as well - full MCSE track, though these are in Portugese not sure if that would be a problem for you ?

I would away from core MCSE as suggested. Novell Networks are reliable. You could do the Netware 3.12 Administrator course.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25.03.2010, 14:51
PlantHead's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,680
Groaned at 65 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,015 Posts
PlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IT Training

Quote:
View Post
I would away from core MCSE as suggested. Novell Networks are reliable. You could do the Netware 3.12 Administrator course.
This is a joke in case anyone takes it seriously.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25.03.2010, 14:53
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,459
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IT Training

Quote:
View Post
This is a joke in case anyone takes it seriously.
are you kidding me ? Have you administered a 3.12 network ? Solid as a rock I tell you. there was even that snake that crawled round the monitor telling you how hard the thing was working.

They don't make them like that any more.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 25.03.2010, 15:04
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,553
Groaned at 49 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IT Training

Quote:
View Post
I have a feeling if I don't get some new exams, I will never be offered a job. Despite years in the business.
I've never had a problem getting a job without Microsoft or Citrix (my specialism) certification.

Actually I'd shy away from places that demanded those anyway as in practical terms they're not an indicator of skill, intelligence, professionalism or having a clue what IT in a large company is all about. Any company which thinks they're valuable is barking up the wrong tree.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 25.03.2010, 15:10
Jaro's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rafz (ZH)
Posts: 1,317
Groaned at 91 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 624 Times in 343 Posts
Jaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IT Training

these guys offer some courses in English all over CH.
http://www.digicomp.ch/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 25.03.2010, 15:14
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,459
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IT Training

Quote:
View Post
I've never had a problem getting a job without Microsoft or Citrix (my specialism) certification.

Actually I'd shy away from places that demanded those anyway as in practical terms they're not an indicator of skill, intelligence, professionalism or having a clue what IT in a large company is all about. Any company which thinks they're valuable is barking up the wrong tree.
yeah but out here they are sticklers for it aren't they ? I dunno because I've only been in one job which is the one I came out here to do but if your looking into the market from a cold start I thought they were keen you had to tick all the boxes.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 25.03.2010, 15:17
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,030
Groaned at 128 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 532 Times in 282 Posts
markalex has an excellent reputationmarkalex has an excellent reputationmarkalex has an excellent reputationmarkalex has an excellent reputation
Re: IT Training

Quote:
View Post
I've never had a problem getting a job without Microsoft or Citrix (my specialism) certification.

Actually I'd shy away from places that demanded those anyway as in practical terms they're not an indicator of skill, intelligence, professionalism or having a clue what IT in a large company is all about. Any company which thinks they're valuable is barking up the wrong tree.
In fairness to most companies they need to sort out the bullshitters and cowboys from the rest, and evil as certification may be I beg to differ on this opinion. Course it depends on the certificate; attendance certificates I agree are worthless; you should focus on qualifications that you take an exam for ideally; harder to get, but ultimately worth something.

Quote:
View Post
yeah but out here they are sticklers for it aren't they ? I dunno because I've only been in one job which is the one I came out here to do but if your looking into the market from a cold start I thought they were keen you had to tick all the boxes.
Yes, very true box ticking is a swiss national pass time.

Last edited by vwild1; 29.03.2010 at 01:03. Reason: merged 2 successive posts into 1
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 25.03.2010, 15:23
PlantHead's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,680
Groaned at 65 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,015 Posts
PlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IT Training

Certificates get you to an interview, but if you can't answer the technical questions, you don't get a job.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank PlantHead for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 25.03.2010, 19:29
Butters's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 260
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 56 Times in 38 Posts
Butters is considered knowledgeableButters is considered knowledgeableButters is considered knowledgeable
Re: IT Training

Actually, I'm currently looking for IT training around Basel as well Eeyore.
I came across this place via Google - www.flane.ch, they have a bunch of Cisco courses on there, but they're not in Basel. I'm actually going a on a Perl course next month with this company as well - http://www.bodenseo.de/en/.

Does anyone know anywhere for good ITIL or other service/project management type training in English please?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 25.03.2010, 19:47
Shinigami's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gland, Switzerland
Posts: 827
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 352 Times in 239 Posts
Shinigami has a reputation beyond reputeShinigami has a reputation beyond reputeShinigami has a reputation beyond reputeShinigami has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IT Training

Quote:
View Post
Self study?
Or just get a subscription to braindumps and pass the exams by learning the questions and answers.
Please don't suggest braindumps. You learn NOTHING by doing them. They devalue the whole purpose of certification and it makes the IT field look bad when braindumpers end up in jobs they cannot perform. It is also rude against those of us who have spent years studying in order to gain these certs through honest, hard work. Besides, IT companies such as Microsoft do not allow this practice and consider it criminal. If you're caught, you are decertified for life.

Just say no to brain dumping.

Quote:
View Post
Choose your courses carefully; I think if you look on the market you'll find Microsoft consultants are 10chf a dozen; Might be worth looking at something a bit more business focused such as CISA or CISSP.
Actually, there's only around 60 of us "Microsoft Consultants" here in Switzerland (if you're referring to real employees of Microsoft Consulting Services at Microsoft Suisse Sàrl)

Also, do realize that you cannot legally/easily obtain the CISSP certification unless you have 5 years of experience in IT Security (backed by employers certifying that you've sat such a position), or 4 if you all ready own one of the other Security related certificates (such as CompTIA Security+) AND you've been recommended by an existing CISSP. So this particular certification is not something you just gain through a few months of self (or class) study.

Just my two cents
__________________
"Mommy, mommy! That man has ears!"
"Yes dear, we all have ears..."
"But mommy, he has CAT ears!"

Last edited by vwild1; 29.03.2010 at 01:04. Reason: merged 2 successive posts into 1
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 25.03.2010, 19:58
Jaro's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rafz (ZH)
Posts: 1,317
Groaned at 91 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 624 Times in 343 Posts
Jaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IT Training

Quote:
View Post
Actually, I'm currently looking for IT training around Basel as well Eeyore.
I came across this place via Google - www.flane.ch, they have a bunch of Cisco courses on there, but they're not in Basel. I'm actually going a on a Perl course next month with this company as well - http://www.bodenseo.de/en/.

Does anyone know anywhere for good ITIL or other service/project management type training in English please?
check the link i posted above an you will get you answers
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 25.03.2010, 20:02
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,553
Groaned at 49 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IT Training

Quote:
View Post
In fairness to most companies they need to sort out the bullshitters and cowboys from the rest, and evil as certification may be I beg to differ on this opinion. Course it depends on the certificate; attendance certificates I agree are worthless; you should focus on qualifications that you take an exam for ideally; harder to get, but ultimately worth something.
But say you have eight years employment at a top tier investment bank, that probably tells your next prospective employer you're not a cowboy or bullshitter.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 25.03.2010, 20:17
5AVeci
 
Posts: n/a
Re: IT Training

Quote:
View Post
Please don't suggest braindumps. You learn NOTHING by doing them. They devalue the whole purpose of certification and it makes the IT field look bad when braindumpers end up in jobs they cannot perform. It is also rude against those of us who have spent years studying in order to gain these certs through honest, hard work. Besides, IT companies such as Microsoft do not allow this practice and consider it criminal. If you're caught, you are decertified for life.

Just say no to brain dumping.
Well, even without brain dumping certifications are devalued. You can buy a book, cram it in one week or attend a course and pass the exam without any real life knowledge and experience. It is even more likely for such people to pass as in many cases the examination questions are rather far from the real-life situations (most likely to force people into buying courses/books).

Most of the common certification programmes are there just for one reason: to sell courses (and earn money)! Unfortunately in many places (CH) you need certification to get an interview - thus go for the cheapest way to obtain it in the area that you're knowledgeable. Your knowledge should be tested anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 25.03.2010, 22:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: IT Training

Quote:
View Post
are you kidding me ? Have you administered a 3.12 network ? Solid as a rock I tell you. there was even that snake that crawled round the monitor telling you how hard the thing was working.

They don't make them like that any more.
Solid as a rock? Isn't that the version where a certain key combination on a locked server would give you a supervisor shell? ;-)
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are there any gundog training or sniffer dog training schools in Luzern or Zug? Kiwi Lad Pet corner 3 21.03.2010 17:09
Puppy Training OurChris Pet corner 7 13.11.2008 10:12
Looking for a training room miso Housing in general 4 22.08.2008 12:48
Swimming Training Jennifer Willi Introductions 5 11.08.2008 10:36
Who Pays for Training ? Guest Employment 28 09.05.2008 16:21


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0