Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16.08.2010, 22:16
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: geneva
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
ycnan has no particular reputation at present
Got an offer, but still waiting for another company's offer.

I just got an offer, but i'm still waiting for the result from another dream job+dream company. It may take quite awhile, What should I do?

Can I sign the contract first and then if I get the 2nd offer, I just say "sorry" to the first company? I know in north america you can do that.

Please advise, thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16.08.2010, 22:19
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,672
Groaned at 284 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 18,524 Times in 7,776 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Got an offer, but still waiting for another company's offer.

Quote:
View Post
I just got an offer, but i'm still waiting for the result from another dream job+dream company. It may take quite awhile, What should I do?

Can I sign the contract first and then if I get the 2nd offer, I just say "sorry" to the first company? I know in north america you can do that.

Please advise, thanks!
get the other company to hurry up.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16.08.2010, 22:22
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: geneva
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
ycnan has no particular reputation at present
Re: Got an offer, but still waiting for another company's offer.

Phil - my last round interview for company 2 is in next week.. :S
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16.08.2010, 22:42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 351
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 178 Times in 123 Posts
AlreadyPacked has earned some respectAlreadyPacked has earned some respect
Re: Got an offer, but still waiting for another company's offer.

Quote:
View Post
I just got an offer, but i'm still waiting for the result from another dream job+dream company. It may take quite awhile, What should I do?

Can I sign the contract first and then if I get the 2nd offer, I just say "sorry" to the first company? I know in north america you can do that.

Please advise, thanks!
It depends on the contract, is this for a full-time job or contract work?
For contract role, I would never sign and then backout. Full-time, HR expects some people to back-out as their current employers make them a better offer to stay.

Bye the way, there is no such thing as a dream job+dream company, just new job new company. Where ever you work, things change, what was a good role can become a nightmare, or vis a versa. HTH
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16.08.2010, 22:45
AnAustralian's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,207
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 560 Times in 318 Posts
AnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeable
Re: Got an offer, but still waiting for another company's offer.

An offer in the hand is worth much more than the promise of one.

I have been in this situation before. I chose to take the first offer, even though on paper the second possible offer did promise more.

I am very happy I took the first offer once getting to know the company and the work and challenges available.

In the end only you can decide whether to risk not taking the first offer to see if the other one pays off.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16.08.2010, 22:48
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Dielsdorf ZH
Posts: 155
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 74 Times in 45 Posts
S00ty_0 has become a little unpopular
Re: Got an offer, but still waiting for another company's offer.

Quote:
View Post
I just got an offer, but i'm still waiting for the result from another dream job+dream company. It may take quite awhile, What should I do?

Can I sign the contract first and then if I get the 2nd offer, I just say "sorry" to the first company? I know in north america you can do that.

Please advise, thanks!
Tell the second company what the 1st has offered and tell them you will make a decision in 1 or 2 weeks.
Ever heard of Ebay??....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 16.08.2010, 22:51
AnAustralian's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,207
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 560 Times in 318 Posts
AnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeable
Re: Got an offer, but still waiting for another company's offer.

Quote:
View Post
Tell the second company what the 1st has offered and tell them you will make a decision in 1 or 2 weeks.
Ever heard of Ebay??....
This can work but it depends how interested the second company is in the potential employee. Sometimes they say they are interested then change their mind for whatever reason. Also, some companies (not all) do not appreciate being put in a bargaining position and this can put them off. It really depends on the company, your relationship you have formed with them and their culture in dealing with these issues and circumstances.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18.08.2010, 00:32
Moscow's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moscow has no particular reputation at present
Re: Got an offer, but still waiting for another company's offer.

Quote:
View Post

Can I sign the contract first and then if I get the 2nd offer, I just say "sorry" to the first company?

Please advise, thanks!
It may sound unprofessional...Better to avoid this situation if you can...
Also -what about your reputation? in case both employers are in good relations

However it depends on the job ofc
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18.08.2010, 12:26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 46
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 28 Times in 14 Posts
genius has made some interesting contributions
Re: Got an offer, but still waiting for another company's offer.

At times like this, I would ask the second company to hurry up with the final decision. You are definitely in a bargaining position, if the second company is really interested in you, they'll do the needful. Else you also try to negotiate a new timeframe for your commitment from the first company. (Depending on your suitability for them, they either acceed or refuse.) So you know now where you stand.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20.08.2010, 17:00
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: geneva
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
ycnan has no particular reputation at present
Re: Got an offer, but still waiting for another company's offer.

thanks very much fellows...

I called the 2nd company and told them I already got an offer, they said even though they may have the 4th round on-site interview, they decided to give me the offer...

Thanks a bunch.. this idea rocks!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ycnan for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 20.08.2010, 20:35
MysteryMachine's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Prangins
Posts: 185
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 82 Times in 42 Posts
MysteryMachine has no particular reputation at present
Re: Got an offer, but still waiting for another company's offer.

Quote:
View Post
Can I sign the contract first and then if I get the 2nd offer, I just say "sorry" to the first company? I know in north america you can do that.
Sure you CAN do that but its a quick way to make enemies. I know of some big name global companies that if you do that you get "blacklisted" and you will never in the future get an interview at the company that you dumped.

I'd just try your best to get the first company to extend your deadline. Let them know you have another offer coming that you want to compare to theirs - who knows the first company may then up their offer. There is a small chance telling the first company that will make them unhappy but since they want to hire you it should be no surprise to them that another company does as well.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20.08.2010, 20:47
AnAustralian's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,207
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 560 Times in 318 Posts
AnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeable
Re: Got an offer, but still waiting for another company's offer.

Congrats on your offer
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 20.08.2010, 22:16
MysteryMachine's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Prangins
Posts: 185
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 82 Times in 42 Posts
MysteryMachine has no particular reputation at present
Re: Got an offer, but still waiting for another company's offer.

Quote:
View Post
thanks very much fellows...

I called the 2nd company and told them I already got an offer, they said even though they may have the 4th round on-site interview, they decided to give me the offer...

Thanks a bunch.. this idea rocks!
Congratulations, I hope this is indeed the "dream job" for you!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just got a job offer! It is possible! english-ish Employment 19 16.02.2010 12:29
I would like to offer... nickatbasel Swiss politics/news 4 18.10.2007 21:19


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0