Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
View Poll Results: When searching for new employment, what have you found to be most effective:
Using your contacts in the target organisation 15 28.85%
Sending spontaneous offers 3 5.77%
Using recruitment agencies 10 19.23%
Using Executive search agencies 3 5.77%
All of the above 8 15.38%
I am self employed/own my own business 6 11.54%
Send the wife / husband out to work instead 3 5.77%
The Euro lottery saved me from this 4 7.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06.07.2007, 20:22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 58
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Salgou4 has no particular reputation at present
Response from Company job boards

Hi

I have, like a few others on this forum, the "opportunity" to start looking for a new job and was wondering if anyone has any positive feedback /or been successful when submitting to the large multinationals who have their own job boards, e.g. Nestle, IBM, HP etc?

To date, I have not used this method as from what I hear, your CV gets lost in an ocean of applications and if you don't have the right keywords in your CV, then you are lucky to get any response.

I appreciate responses will vary depending on industry so if I have missed obvious responses let me know.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06.07.2007, 20:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Response from Company job boards

Its a rhetorical question really as most people will apply for one job on one job site. Not may engineers will apply for receptionists' jobs. Your app either got a response or it didnt. You either got the job or didn't. If you were comparing types of advertising and job-application approaches, where people have a range of experience it may yield more interesting results.

dave

Quote:
View Post
Hi

I have, like a few others on this forum, the "opportunity" to start looking for a new job and was wondering if anyone has any positive feedback /or been successful when submitting to the large multinationals who have their own job boards, e.g. Nestle, IBM, HP etc?

To date, I have not used this method as from what I hear, your CV gets lost in an ocean of applications and if you don't have the right keywords in your CV, then you are lucky to get any response.

I appreciate responses will vary depending on industry so if I have missed obvious responses let me know.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06.07.2007, 21:09
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Response from Company job boards

Additionally people will stop applying once they get a job (one success). Therefore its not a very method of research success rates, beyond anecdotal: "I got a job by..:"

dave

Quote:
View Post
Hi

I have, like a few others on this forum, the "opportunity" to start looking for a new job and was wondering if anyone has any positive feedback /or been successful when submitting to the large multinationals who have their own job boards, e.g. Nestle, IBM, HP etc?

To date, I have not used this method as from what I hear, your CV gets lost in an ocean of applications and if you don't have the right keywords in your CV, then you are lucky to get any response.

I appreciate responses will vary depending on industry so if I have missed obvious responses let me know.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06.07.2007, 21:18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 58
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Salgou4 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Response from Company job boards

Thanks Dave,
The idea behind the poll was to generate discussion about what seems to work best in Switzerland with trying to find employment, and secondly, [maybe this should be in Complaints Corner], but adding myself to umteen company job boards does not seem to be the best approach and I was curious to see if anyone had actually found employment through this method. I wil try and add this obvious option to the selections.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06.07.2007, 21:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Response from Company job boards

Actually your poll options are pretty good. I was judging it on the introductory post.

dave

Quote:
View Post
Thanks Dave,
The idea behind the poll was to generate discussion about what seems to work best in Switzerland with trying to find employment, and secondly, [maybe this should be in Complaints Corner], but adding myself to umteen company job boards does not seem to be the best approach and I was curious to see if anyone had actually found employment through this method. I wil try and add this obvious option to the selections.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06.07.2007, 23:29
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Response from Company job boards

I think that those job boards are useless. I found that answering ads in the paper or contacts are the best way. When they put the ad on the job board, they usually have someone internally who will recommend someone. And by the time the ad gets to the paper they are more desperate to find someone ASAP.
Good luck!

*** EDIT: Note, I mis-spoke here! I must have been tired! See below!! ***

Last edited by miniMia; 07.07.2007 at 18:55. Reason: editted to add note!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06.07.2007, 23:34
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,778
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Response from Company job boards

Quote:
View Post
I think that those job boards are useless. I found that answering ads in the paper or contacts are the best way. When they put the ad on the job board, they usually have someone internally who will recommend someone. And by the time the ad gets to the paper they are more desperate to find someone ASAP.
Good luck!
I have found nearly every job I have had on Jobserve, which is a job board, so they do work.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07.07.2007, 00:03
spmull06's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Posts: 471
Groaned at 7 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
spmull06 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Response from Company job boards

As they say, "Vitamin B" (Beziehungen) works wonders if you are already here... That mean connections in German. Without them I would still be unemployed.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07.07.2007, 00:11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 391
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 330 Times in 157 Posts
Fraser has a reputation beyond reputeFraser has a reputation beyond reputeFraser has a reputation beyond reputeFraser has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Response from Company job boards

In the last somewhat unplanned 6 months, I've had 3 jobs. One I got direct from a companys own website, one through a recruitment agency and one via a personal contact in a company.

Don't dismiss any one approach. It's a total numbers game. The more jobs you apply for, however you apply for them, the greater your chances are of finding a job.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Fraser for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 07.07.2007, 18:37
chipmaker's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brugg AG
Posts: 207
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 30 Times in 22 Posts
chipmaker has no particular reputation at present
Re: Response from Company job boards

I got my job in CH from monster.ch. I'll be starting work in Sept.

My current job is from monster.com.sg.

The one before that: jobsdb.com.ph.

So far, I've had much success from job boards!

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07.07.2007, 18:53
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Response from Company job boards

Sorry! I didn't mean "job boards", like jobpilot, etc. I meant the company dedicated job pages... Like Nestle Careers page....
I think Monster, Jobpilot, etc are great!
Sorry for the confusion!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07.07.2007, 18:54
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Response from Company job boards

Quote:
View Post
I have found nearly every job I have had on Jobserve, which is a job board, so they do work.
sorry, I didn't mean what I wrote! I wrote "job board" but in my head I was thinking of the company job pages...
see my correction!
(Yikes!)


But I also agree that one should never dismiss any option. The more you apply for the more chances you have of finding the right job for you.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07.07.2007, 21:20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 58
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Salgou4 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Response from Company job boards

Thanks all for the posts and feedback.

Fraser, your "It's a total numbers game." remark seems to be more and more the case, and any way in is a way in I suppose, just the hardest part is getting to the interview. I havn't played this game for ten years and the rules seem to have changed slightly.

Still, I wonder how much talent the big guys miss out on as some may refrain from the job boards and word matching that goes on.

If you have specific skillsets (SAP BW and/or .Net) for example, matching this way works well.

I also remember being told that ~70% of all positions never make it to the job boards or newspaper, and this "hidden" job market is where you should focus on. If it is "hidden", how did they measure it??
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 23.08.2007, 18:07
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Zug
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MarionfromZug has no particular reputation at present
Re: Response from Company job boards

salgou,
this is a valid comment - you cannot measure it. but fact is that lots of jobs are going by word of mouth.
try using the english version of the www.jobs.ch or www.monster.ch.
or check the websites of headhunters specialized in 'english speaking' jobs, e.g. www.mrd.ch in zug
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jobboards




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Emergency First Response (First aid) mark Commercial events 2 10.06.2015 22:56
Response time from recruitment agencies Tanya Employment 28 07.01.2011 01:00
First aid / Emergency First Response (in English) mark Commercial 1 03.07.2006 18:46


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0