Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 19.10.2010, 15:00
BasP72's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Adliswil (close to Zurich)
Posts: 1,932
Groaned at 89 Times in 43 Posts
Thanked 1,785 Times in 852 Posts
BasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: unemployment benefit if you GIVE UP job?

As far as the budget of the country goes its not that bad to also give benefits to a person who resigned voluntarily.
Since the job itself is still there one can assume it will be filled by someone who is now on unemployment benefit.
before: Mr A has a job, B gets unemployment support
after: Mr B has a job, A gets unemployment support
net result: 0.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 22.10.2010, 10:12
fl0werstar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 288
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
fl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeable
Re: unemployment benefit if you GIVE UP job?

Aaaaargh. It's not a question of being fair or not. Unemployment benefits are regulated by law and though it's nothing like in France where you can... well, just claim it and live off the system, it exists to reduce unemployment and help those without a job get one.

So I advise anyone on the lookout to contact RAV/ORP, because their job is to help you get one and they have amazing services (courses what not) even if you're not entitled to a sou.

Back to the original Q:
AFAIK you're entitled to benefits, but there's a penalty of 90 days or so, which means you don't get financial aid during the first 3 months. But other services are still available.
__________________
"Nothing is impossible. Some things are just less likely than others."
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 22.10.2010, 19:10
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: unemployment benefit if you GIVE UP job?

Quote:
View Post
Back to the original Q:
AFAIK you're entitled to benefits, but there's a penalty of 90 days or so, which means you don't get financial aid during the first 3 months. But other services are still available.
You may be penalized up to 3 months.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 27.10.2010, 19:17
fl0werstar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 288
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
fl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeable
Re: unemployment benefit if you GIVE UP job?

Quote:
View Post

So I advise anyone on the lookout to contact RAV/ORP, because their job is to help you get one and they have amazing services (courses what not) even if you're not entitled to a sou.
OK, it's more complicated than that, as it turns out. They were unable to help me because I quit my job on my own accord (to follow my husband, but still...). Plus, I've never worked in Switzerland, so I'm like category B of category B, so my chances of actually taking a course (let alone getting financial help) are practically zero. I could go through with my registration but then I'd get pestered for the documents each month and would only be considered for anything after 6 months. So it's not really worth it. Besides, they can't help you find a job really.

Quote:
View Post
Back to the original Q:
AFAIK you're entitled to benefits, but there's a penalty of 90 days or so, which means you don't get financial aid during the first 3 months. But other services are still available.
Yes, as MiniMia said earlier, not necessarily 90 days... but still, as far as I could see they like to penalize things like being late from a consultation, etc. =) and especially refusing a job. Personally, I don't think any meaningless toil would be worth a couple of day's RAV wages...
__________________
"Nothing is impossible. Some things are just less likely than others."
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 27.10.2010, 19:56
HollidayG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kanton Zürich
Posts: 3,038
Groaned at 50 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 1,180 Times in 738 Posts
HollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputation
Re: unemployment benefit if you GIVE UP job?

Quote:
View Post
This is the exact typical attitude of people now.
"I have a right to benefits" .
Benefits were not put in place to give you choice, but put in place as a safety net when you were in crisis. Resigning from employment is not a crisis; but a choice.

I use Tax Avoidance in the UK for exactly this reason; too many benefit scroungers and people that claim rights at the cost to me.
I would not mind paying tax if:
(1) So many people were not "playing the system".
(2) The Government spent the monies wisely.
The Swiss can be really nasty when they don't want you around. Mobbing
is very common here and is a HUGE source of stress.

It is in the law that people DO have a right to certain benefits if they
have paid in for at least a year.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 27.10.2010, 20:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: unemployment benefit if you GIVE UP job?

Thanks all. I must say I am very surprised he would be able to claim unemployment benefit after 3 months- even though the choice is entirely his to leave. Interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 27.10.2010, 20:06
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: unemployment benefit if you GIVE UP job?

Well I was unemployed for 3 years here, and went on several courses, met people in bad situations etc.

I can really strongly say that only one person I met was morally not entitled to unemployment pay.

As Richdog said, many times people are forced to leave a job for their own sanity or good health.

There are many laws covering what the RAV /ORP can and cannot do. Usually you loose 6 calendar weeks of pay if you contribute to your loss of job.

OP said he has a good job, so maybe he intends to finance his short holiday himself.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 15.01.2011, 10:05
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vaud
Posts: 43
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
gravitycantforget has no particular reputation at present
Re: unemployment benefit if you GIVE UP job?

Quote:
View Post
As far as the budget of the country goes its not that bad to also give benefits to a person who resigned voluntarily.
Since the job itself is still there one can assume it will be filled by someone who is now on unemployment benefit.
before: Mr A has a job, B gets unemployment support
after: Mr B has a job, A gets unemployment support
net result: 0.
very good point - however what can happen is the company decides that they can afford to lose that position and so the 'survivors' have to endure more work etc etc most companies are not that bothered about working conditions - Or they WILL find some other sucker (sorry person) to fill that vacancy pdq

I actually think people have a moral obligation to leave jobs they hate... several reasons

1 - your mental and physical health is normally affected badly

2 - the work you do is competent at best, not very productive

3 - you free up a job that someone else can actually enjoy

sadly with the ingrained work ethic ( people should be grateful of any job blah blah blah ) it does NOT encourage people to do that
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank gravitycantforget for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 15.01.2011, 10:15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vaud
Posts: 43
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
gravitycantforget has no particular reputation at present
Re: unemployment benefit if you GIVE UP job?

Quote:
View Post
This is the exact typical attitude of people now.
"I have a right to benefits" .
Benefits were not put in place to give you choice, but put in place as a safety net when you were in crisis. Resigning from employment is not a crisis; but a choice.

I use Tax Avoidance in the UK for exactly this reason; too many benefit scroungers and people that claim rights at the cost to me.
I would not mind paying tax if:
(1) So many people were not "playing the system".
(2) The Government spent the monies wisely.
You obviously have severe issues...Are you related to Scrooge?

Do you think that the vast majority of people quit jobs just at a whim? can almost guarantee that if you do a straw poll of 100 people who have quit jobs the vast majority will say 2 things - 1 the conditions forced them to quit 2 they did it as a last resort

Sorry people not only have a choice to resign but they SHOULD resign to move on to better things and free up the position for someone else. If the company chooses to close that position and force other employees to take up the slack then your moral outrage should be directed at companies
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank gravitycantforget for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 15.01.2011, 10:18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vaud
Posts: 43
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
gravitycantforget has no particular reputation at present
Re: unemployment benefit if you GIVE UP job?

I have heard through the grapevine that there has been some new law passed that you need to have worked at least for 2 years before being able to claim 1 years benefit - not certain if this is BS or truth...would be handy to know
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 15.01.2011, 10:34
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vaud
Posts: 43
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
gravitycantforget has no particular reputation at present
Re: unemployment benefit if you GIVE UP job?

Quote:
View Post
OK, it's more complicated than that, as it turns out. They were unable to help me because I quit my job on my own accord (to follow my husband, but still...). Plus, I've never worked in Switzerland, so I'm like category B of category B, so my chances of actually taking a course (let alone getting financial help) are practically zero. I could go through with my registration but then I'd get pestered for the documents each month and would only be considered for anything after 6 months. So it's not really worth it. Besides, they can't help you find a job really.



Yes, as MiniMia said earlier, not necessarily 90 days... but still, as far as I could see they like to penalize things like being late from a consultation, etc. =) and especially refusing a job. Personally, I don't think any meaningless toil would be worth a couple of day's RAV wages...
my experience with chomage/unemployment is that if you have the skills (basically if you're multi-lingual) they will push you to find work. This can be patronising and can also be a spur to finding work. Some people need prodding some dont. You WILL lose money if you miss appointments without good reason. If you are NOT multi lingual you will not find them much help - in fact you will receive subtle and not subtle pressure to find work outside of Switzerland. I have heard this is illegal but...it happened to me.

As for courses/training I think it depends on so many factors - I know from friends that it is mainly down to your advisor.As an example I managed to get a good French course after 9 months of unemployment. A friend got theirs after 3 months and was also offered a 2nd course to improve their language. I wasn't.

My wife who was unemployed recently managed to go on 2 courses (MS Office stuff) which she found very useful and shortly found new work after.

While I was on my French course, one of the other people was doing the training through chomage but was working part time but could not claim any money.

So you can see it all varies from person to person. If you want training ASK
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 15.01.2011, 10:37
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vaud
Posts: 43
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
gravitycantforget has no particular reputation at present
Re: unemployment benefit if you GIVE UP job?

Quote:
View Post
Well I was unemployed for 3 years here, and went on several courses, met people in bad situations etc.

I can really strongly say that only one person I met was morally not entitled to unemployment pay.

...
sadly for the more money orientated that single person seems to be their model of the unemployed...all a bunch of lazy good for nothing bastards flaunting the system while they work 80 hours a week...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank gravitycantforget for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 15.01.2011, 10:47
Mowvich's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Genève
Posts: 1,422
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: unemployment benefit if you GIVE UP job?

What i hate are Swiss who work for couple of years then resign and start to chill and travel for a year while getting paid by unemployment office, then come back to find work...i have seen so many cases like that where they travel around to South America, Australia, USA, Asia and they always return for their appointments then leave again....that's really abusive.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mowvich for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 15.01.2011, 11:35
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Solothurn
Posts: 725
Groaned at 88 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 645 Times in 325 Posts
Enaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond repute
Re: unemployment benefit if you GIVE UP job?

Quote:
View Post
What i hate are Swiss who work for couple of years then resign and start to chill and travel for a year while getting paid by unemployment office, then come back to find work...i have seen so many cases like that where they travel around to South America, Australia, USA, Asia and they always return for their appointments then leave again....that's really abusive.
Actually it is NOT possible to travel and claim benefits because the unemployed person has to present himself at the benefits office of the gemeinde or RAV itself, if not every week, then monthly and is expected to keep appointments and be immediately available for work should anything suitable turn up on the job market. They are also required to make at least 10 job applications per month and provide proof of those applications. Believe me, the system is well controlled.

Perhaps the people you are referring to resign their jobs, travel on money they have saved and then return to claim unemployment benefit till they find a job. And - what's wrong with that?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 15.01.2011, 11:45
Mowvich's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Genève
Posts: 1,422
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: unemployment benefit if you GIVE UP job?

It's possible and been done to death in Geneva at least, i know more than 4 people between Colombia and USA atm, they do job searches on internet & return only for interviews, they cash up, pay the bills and then leave again.

Quote:
View Post
Actually it is NOT possible to travel and claim benefits because the unemployed person has to present himself at the benefits office of the gemeinde or RAV itself, if not every week, then monthly and is expected to keep appointments and be immediately available for work should anything suitable turn up on the job market. They are also required to make at least 10 job applications per month and provide proof of those applications. Believe me, the system is well controlled.

Perhaps the people you are referring to resign their jobs, travel on money they have saved and then return to claim unemployment benefit till they find a job. And - what's wrong with that?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 16.01.2011, 12:45
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Solothurn
Posts: 725
Groaned at 88 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 645 Times in 325 Posts
Enaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond repute
Re: unemployment benefit if you GIVE UP job?

Quote:
View Post
It's possible and been done to death in Geneva at least, i know more than 4 people between Colombia and USA atm, they do job searches on internet & return only for interviews, they cash up, pay the bills and then leave again.
Well I've had 2 periods of unemployment for 18 months or longer, and no way would it have been possible in Solothurn because if you don't show up at the weekly/monthly interview, then no money. Geneva must be very generous in this respect
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 16.01.2011, 14:18
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: unemployment benefit if you GIVE UP job?

Quote:
View Post
Actually it is NOT possible to travel and claim benefits because the unemployed person has to present himself at the benefits office of the gemeinde or RAV itself, if not every week, then monthly and is expected to keep appointments and be immediately available for work should anything suitable turn up on the job market. They are also required to make at least 10 job applications per month and provide proof of those applications. Believe me, the system is well controlled.

Perhaps the people you are referring to resign their jobs, travel on money they have saved and then return to claim unemployment benefit till they find a job. And - what's wrong with that?
Yep, I know a few of those very well. What's wrong with it is that I, and all the others who work hard, have to pay for their jollies, again and again.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 18.01.2011, 07:51
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Solothurn
Posts: 725
Groaned at 88 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 645 Times in 325 Posts
Enaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond repute
Re: unemployment benefit if you GIVE UP job?

Quote:
Yep, I know a few of those very well. What's wrong with it is that I, and all the others who work hard, have to pay for their jollies, again and again.
Well I don't object to someone travelling for a year or so, so long as they pay for it themselves THEN coming back and claiming unemployment benefit until they find a job even if they are using up MY contributions. I do though think that the authorities in Geneva should tighten up their controls if it really is true that people are claiming benefit whilst acually travelling
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 18.01.2011, 09:31
rrs rrs is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zuerich
Posts: 986
Groaned at 91 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 348 Times in 226 Posts
rrs is considered unworthyrrs is considered unworthyrrs is considered unworthyrrs is considered unworthy
Re: unemployment benefit if you GIVE UP job?

Quote:
View Post
This is the exact typical attitude of people now.
"I have a right to benefits" .
Benefits were not put in place to give you choice, but put in place as a safety net when you were in crisis. Resigning from employment is not a crisis; but a choice.

I use Tax Avoidance in the UK for exactly this reason; too many benefit scroungers and people that claim rights at the cost to me.
I would not mind paying tax if:
(1) So many people were not "playing the system".
(2) The Government spent the monies wisely.
Should migrants in the UK that pay taxes be entitled to benefits?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 18.01.2011, 10:20
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: what's it to you?
Posts: 23
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
SomeRandomPerson has no particular reputation at present
Re: unemployment benefit if you GIVE UP job?

Quote:
View Post
It's possible and been done to death in Geneva at least, i know more than 4 people between Colombia and USA atm, they do job searches on internet & return only for interviews, they cash up, pay the bills and then leave again.
So what's your problem with it? They're looking for work, are available for interviews, and presumably for work, pay for it all, and... what? You think they should be locked into their flat and only be allowed out after dark?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unemployment Benefit, What IF crazysniper Employment 13 16.09.2010 01:25
Unemployment Benefit When Voluntarily Quit Job nickatbasel Employment 20 12.08.2010 10:26
Unemployment benefit Katze Employment 10 13.02.2010 01:00
Unemployment benefit Isambard Mews Employment 12 28.03.2009 17:25
Unemployment Benefit / Study licia2007 Employment 10 20.07.2007 15:05


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0