Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Entertainment & dining  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 26.09.2011, 12:16
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,066
Groaned at 651 Times in 504 Posts
Thanked 25,874 Times in 10,429 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non Smoking Restaurants/Coffee Shops in Zurich

Quote:
I wouldn't give a monkey's if they banned smoking outright tomorrow but I do respect people's right to choose and if they are smoking outside a restaurant then it's their choice - the effects on me are negligible.
On you maybe, but not on other people. Some people find it nauseating - including pregnant women.

It's not dangerous to health but it can be unpleasant.

If someone was sitting at the next table constantly letting off wind which smelt unpleasant - would you do anything - they're not breaking the law and it will not do you any harm?


I think Seattle and other places have got the right idea and I hope it spreads.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #62  
Old 26.09.2011, 12:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Non Smoking Restaurants/Coffee Shops in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
On you maybe, but not on other people. Some people find it nauseating - including pregnant women.

It's not dangerous to health but it can be unpleasant.

If someone was sitting at the next table constantly letting off wind which smelt unpleasant - would you do anything - they're not breaking the law and it will not do you any harm?


I think Seattle and other places have got the right idea and I hope it spreads.
I think it's just part and parcel of living in a city. If the OP wants perfectly clean air with no-one smoking, farting or expelling any other noxious gases within a mile radius of him, he should move to the mountains.

I'm not over-keen on sitting next to a table full of smokers outdoors either but, apart from it being mildly annoying (and maybe nauseating for pregnant women) it is essentially totally legal and probably not that bad for the health.

I was just smiling at the irony of his wish for A/C but his worry about picking up toxins from a puff of ciggie smoke in the breeze.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #63  
Old 26.09.2011, 13:51
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non Smoking Restaurants/Coffee Shops in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
not sure about that...if this was the case, a private establishment could also set its own rules and be smoking...
There's a restaurant near my house that is private. To sit inside you have to be a member, because they allow smoking. The food's not that good anyway.

And I know a lot of people luv the garden at Zic Zac but my Burger was delivered the other night and at the same time the guy at the next table lit up and his bloody cig smoke was going right in my face. Mmmm... yum. *cough cough* If there was a vote to ban smoking where food is served, I'd support it 100%.

I really think you have to have lived both lifestyles to understand both arguements. As an ex-smoker, I know I committed this offense too. For me, smoking bans in restaurants win hands down.
__________________
I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies. - Pietro Aretino
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 26.09.2011, 13:53
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,066
Groaned at 651 Times in 504 Posts
Thanked 25,874 Times in 10,429 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non Smoking Restaurants/Coffee Shops in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
There's a restaurant near my house that is private. To sit inside you have to be a member, because they allow smoking. The food's not that good anyway.
Smoking wrecks your taste buds anyway so they probably don't notice.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #65  
Old 26.09.2011, 15:52
cricketer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: near zurich
Posts: 1,196
Groaned at 29 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,051 Times in 427 Posts
cricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non Smoking Restaurants/Coffee Shops in Zurich

God I can´t stand the smell of burgers. Now they really stink.

Quote:
View Post
There's a restaurant near my house that is private. To sit inside you have to be a member, because they allow smoking. The food's not that good anyway.

And I know a lot of people luv the garden at Zic Zac but my Burger was delivered the other night and at the same time the guy at the next table lit up and his bloody cig smoke was going right in my face. Mmmm... yum. *cough cough* If there was a vote to ban smoking where food is served, I'd support it 100%.

I really think you have to have lived both lifestyles to understand both arguements. As an ex-smoker, I know I committed this offense too. For me, smoking bans in restaurants win hands down.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 26.09.2011, 20:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,315
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non Smoking Restaurants/Coffee Shops in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
God I can´t stand the smell of burgers. Now they really stink.
Ja ... it`s what you get used to.

I found out how like a bbq humans smell when they`re burning ... and thereafter, when my neighbors bbq`d on weekends, I had to leave my house.

Having smelled what humans smell like when they`re burning inside a car (fumes wafting everywhere) .... I just had to turn Vegan for a couple years!

Much like when finding a cooked frog in a tin of sweetcorn, canned sweetcorn was off my menu for about 10 years, till I got over it, and learned to "trust the system".....

But I must admit ..... instant hamburger patties are disgusting things - full of fat, ground up grissle, and bits of bones ...... and the more you fry them the smaller they get......What is actually IN them?
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 26.09.2011, 20:45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 50
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
cabarnes is considered a nuisancecabarnes is considered a nuisancecabarnes is considered a nuisance
Re: Non Smoking Restaurants/Coffee Shops in Zurich

Tom1234 - You seem like a genius. I agree 100% with your comments. I wish that these were the only comments on this thread. Let me know if you find anymore restaurants.

Sandgrounder and Wollishofener - Why do you keep commenting on this thread? I don't get it. What is your end goal? By the way, I wasn't advocating for A/C. I was advocating for a fan or something inside...or to sit outside so that I can cool off outside, but there are smelly smokers everywhere and I'm a pregnant woman who wants to throw up (o.k. i'm a guy, but I added the pregnant woman thing for dramatic effect...however I still want to throw up. Its just rude to blow your stinking cigarette smoke into someone else's face.)

Economisto - Your nature article says nothing other than the fact that second-hand smoke increases the risk for lung cancer significantly. It also says that it may increase the risk of heart attack. Lastly, it states that one guy's opinion is that banning smoking in open air places like beaches is likely a bad idea as it is going to far (in that guy's opinion). It says nothing about banning smoking outside restaurants. Also, the Tobacco Smoke website was down, but that doesn't seem like a legitimate source to me. (although I couldn't read about them as their whole site was down)
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 26.09.2011, 20:54
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Non Smoking Restaurants/Coffee Shops in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
I wish that these were the only comments on this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 26.09.2011, 21:22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Non Smoking Restaurants/Coffee Shops in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Sandgrounder and Wollishofener - Why do you keep commenting on this thread? I don't get it. What is your end goal? By the way, I wasn't advocating for A/C. I was advocating for a fan or something inside...or to sit outside so that I can cool off outside, but there are smelly smokers everywhere and I'm a pregnant woman who wants to throw up (o.k. i'm a guy, but I added the pregnant woman thing for dramatic effect...however I still want to throw up. Its just rude to blow your stinking cigarette smoke into someone else's face.)
Ah, so you wanted a thread where only people who agree with you post comments. My mistake - enjoy...
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #70  
Old 28.09.2011, 07:53
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 50
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
cabarnes is considered a nuisancecabarnes is considered a nuisancecabarnes is considered a nuisance
Re: Non Smoking Restaurants/Coffee Shops in Zurich

If you look at the original post, I stated that I was just looking for a list of establishments with non-smoking sections. I didn't even start the post as a discussion at all. I was just looking for a list. That's all.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 28.09.2011, 08:13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Non Smoking Restaurants/Coffee Shops in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
If you look at the original post, I stated that I was just looking for a list of establishments with non-smoking sections. I didn't even start the post as a discussion at all. I was just looking for a list. That's all.
Welcome to the English Forum!

(Does anyone know where I can buy halal toothpaste?)
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #72  
Old 28.09.2011, 08:14
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non Smoking Restaurants/Coffee Shops in Zurich

Quote:
Welcome to the English Forum!

(Does anyone know where I can buy halal toothpaste?)
If you find it, could you pass it out to all of the smokers and ask them to brush their lungs?
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 28.09.2011, 09:31
ximix's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK (formerly Zurich)
Posts: 2,098
Groaned at 22 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,179 Posts
ximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non Smoking Restaurants/Coffee Shops in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
If you look at the original post, I stated that I was just looking for a list of establishments with non-smoking sections. I didn't even start the post as a discussion at all. I was just looking for a list. That's all.
As a non-smoker myself, I do have some sympathy with your plight and would not be averse to at least knowing about such a listing if one exists.

The thing is, the EF is a discussion forum and as such, like it or not, sometimes the answers given will not be to yours/others liking but that's life - on or offline.

People agree and disagree all the time, some responses are helpful, some are not and so it goes. Expecting a thread to go only one way ie your way as the thread originator simply isn't feasible and is highly unlikely to happen, so best just go with the flow.

Besides, discussion is fun and is what keeps threads interesting and, in some cases, very entertaining indeed.
__________________
" The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. " ~ Arthur C Clarke
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank ximix for this useful post:
  #74  
Old 28.09.2011, 09:37
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Non Smoking Restaurants/Coffee Shops in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Ok, well please anyone else list places that might have no smoking rules. Surely, there are some place that don't like cancer.
Sorry mate, it all started with the above. Smarmy so and so.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #75  
Old 28.09.2011, 09:39
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Non Smoking Restaurants/Coffee Shops in Zurich

Quote:
Welcome to the English Forum!

(Does anyone know where I can buy halal toothpaste?)
I'm feeling very self righteous at that comment.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #76  
Old 28.09.2011, 14:32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 50
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
cabarnes is considered a nuisancecabarnes is considered a nuisancecabarnes is considered a nuisance
Re: Non Smoking Restaurants/Coffee Shops in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
As a non-smoker myself, I do have some sympathy with your plight and would not be averse to at least knowing about such a listing if one exists.

The thing is, the EF is a discussion forum and as such, like it or not, sometimes the answers given will not be to yours/others liking but that's life - on or offline.

People agree and disagree all the time, some responses are helpful, some are not and so it goes. Expecting a thread to go only one way ie your way as the thread originator simply isn't feasible and is highly unlikely to happen, so best just go with the flow.

Besides, discussion is fun and is what keeps threads interesting and, in some cases, very entertaining indeed.
@Isha - Thanks for your comment. I definitely understand the idea of a discussion (and discussion board online). However, I know lots of people in Switzerland who use EF to figure out how to do things once they move here. For instance, I found a bike shop and I found how to get a driver's license and I found out where to buy brown sugar (that seems to be a popular topic on EF). If people want to discuss the merits or non-merits of smoking bans, then they should start a topic about the merits or non-merits of smoking bans. Maybe I'll join their discussion maybe I won't, but I think that there could be a place in EF for basically listing instructions or tips on life in Switzerland and how to do/get things you want. Me asking for a list of non-smoking outdoor restaurants is no different than me asking where I can buy Marmite or Cheddar cheese. Its just that this particular topic pisses off smokers and they feel the need to waste space on a discussion that wasn't asked for. Below is my original post. I guess I could have omitted the line "Please, just offer useful advice if you have some", but otherwise I was just asking for a list. Nothing more.



Does anyone out there have a list of restaurants and coffee shops in Zurich that are totally non smoking? I know that its legal to smoke outside and generally accepted here in Zurich, but I would suppose that a private establishment could set its own rules, right? So, list those places here. I want to go to them.

I don't want to start any sort of long series of rants with this post. I've stopped using this site as much because of all of the ranting and name calling. Please, just offer useful advice if you have some.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cabarnes for this useful post:
  #77  
Old 28.09.2011, 14:43
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Non Smoking Restaurants/Coffee Shops in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Its just that this particular topic pisses off smokers
Except that most of the contributors to this thread are not smokers.

Now, perhaps you could exercise your brain cells a bit and work out why a bunch of non-smokers are giving you a hard time?

For a clue, look at Economisto's post above.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #78  
Old 28.09.2011, 16:59
ximix's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK (formerly Zurich)
Posts: 2,098
Groaned at 22 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,179 Posts
ximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non Smoking Restaurants/Coffee Shops in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
@Isha - Thanks for your comment. I definitely understand the idea of a discussion (and discussion board online). However, I know lots of people in Switzerland who use EF to figure out how to do things once they move here. For instance, I found a bike shop and I found how to get a driver's license and I found out where to buy brown sugar (that seems to be a popular topic on EF). If people want to discuss the merits or non-merits of smoking bans, then they should start a topic about the merits or non-merits of smoking bans. Maybe I'll join their discussion maybe I won't, but I think that there could be a place in EF for basically listing instructions or tips on life in Switzerland and how to do/get things you want. Me asking for a list of non-smoking outdoor restaurants is no different than me asking where I can buy Marmite or Cheddar cheese. Its just that this particular topic pisses off smokers and they feel the need to waste space on a discussion that wasn't asked for. Below is my original post. I guess I could have omitted the line "Please, just offer useful advice if you have some", but otherwise I was just asking for a list. Nothing more.

....
@Cabarnes - You're welcome.

Haven't got the time to re-read all the comments on this thread right now but I'm presuming there were some responses you were happy with ie provided you with suggestions. Right?

Then why not start compiling a list yourself from these responses (after you've tried them out of course) and then post that list - with a mini review of the non-smoking facilities provided in each case - in an appropriately titled thread on the forum and then keep updating it as you find other venues?

I'm sure there are EFers who'd appreciate that. I know I would, especially for those times when I'm out and the person/persons I'm with are also non-smokers.

Additionally, as you feel so strongly about a special place on the forum for listings only, you could also pitch that idea to the EF powers that be. After all, nothing ventured, nothing gained as the saying goes.
__________________
" The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. " ~ Arthur C Clarke
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 28.09.2011, 17:18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 50
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
cabarnes is considered a nuisancecabarnes is considered a nuisancecabarnes is considered a nuisance
Re: Non Smoking Restaurants/Coffee Shops in Zurich

@isha

The funny thing is that from the beginning everyone just started posting their thoughts and no one listed anything. There is no list. Just a lot of discussion about nothing with some posturing and grandstanding by most all involved (myself unfortunately included) so that we can all seem smarter than everyone else on the wonderful anonymous internet.

If I were to repost a topic asking for a list of restaurants (which is basically what I did), I would get the same bunch of response from the same bunch of people without actually generating a list. Its cool. I'm out. I might keep checking to see if anyone actually does post responses to the actual request, but this doesn't seem to be a fruitful pursuit unfortunately.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 28.09.2011, 17:18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 50
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
cabarnes is considered a nuisancecabarnes is considered a nuisancecabarnes is considered a nuisance
Re: Non Smoking Restaurants/Coffee Shops in Zurich

Quote:
Except that most of the contributors to this thread are not smokers.

Now, perhaps you could exercise your brain cells a bit and work out why a bunch of non-smokers are giving you a hard time?

For a clue, look at Economisto's post above.
You're funny.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gluten free food - where can I buy it? shops+restaurants Lisamacl Food and drink 90 18.10.2019 21:48
Smoking in restaurants mark Complaints corner 142 16.08.2008 20:13
Non-Italian Restaurants in Lugano sbdeaver Entertainment & dining 3 18.05.2008 21:32
Does non-smoking exist in Zug? India Entertainment & dining 12 28.10.2007 09:22
Finally: Lung association seeks petition to ban smoking in restaurants mark Swiss politics/news 11 15.03.2006 09:22


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0