Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Entertainment & dining  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26.02.2020, 11:10
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: ZŁrich
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Giov has no particular reputation at present
Bass guitar player looking for a band

Iím Gianni, Iím from Italy and I live in Zurich since 2010. I play bass guitar at beginner-intermediate level, and Iím looking for a band to join or even to other musicians who are interested to form a new band for jam sessions and eventually live gigs. Iím mainly interested in classic rock í60-í70, blues and rock blues, to play covers but also new songs in the same genres. My availability is limited to the weekends.

If you are interested you can answer directly to this thread, or send me a PM.

Cheers: Gianni
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Giov for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 26.02.2020, 12:51
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored≤
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 14,097
Groaned at 230 Times in 174 Posts
Thanked 16,373 Times in 8,416 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bass guitar player looking for a band

Quote:
View Post
Iím Gianni, Iím from Italy and I live in Zurich since 2010. I play bass guitar at beginner-intermediate level, and Iím looking for a band to join or even to other musicians who are interested to form a new band for jam sessions and eventually live gigs. Iím mainly interested in classic rock í60-í70, blues and rock blues, to play covers but also new songs in the same genres. My availability is limited to the weekends.

If you are interested you can answer directly to this thread, or send me a PM.

Cheers: Gianni
Hi Gianni, I'd join but I play bass too.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 27.02.2020, 08:05
Caleb's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sevelen, SG
Posts: 783
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,028 Times in 452 Posts
Caleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bass guitar player looking for a band

Another bass player here. We could form an EF Apocalyptica version.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Caleb for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 27.02.2020, 09:45
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: ZŁrich
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Giov has no particular reputation at present
Re: Bass guitar player looking for a band

Quote:
View Post
Another bass player here. We could form an EF Apocalyptica version.

The funny thing is that in all bass courses one of the first advices is that ďas bassists, you will have the big advantage that there are very few around, and the request for bass players is very highĒ.

OK, most of people want to play guitarÖ but probably most of the beginners musicians prefer to play bass because itís easier (at least, it may be easier)!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 27.02.2020, 10:11
Caleb's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sevelen, SG
Posts: 783
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,028 Times in 452 Posts
Caleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bass guitar player looking for a band

I don't know, I don't think it's easier. Although it may be seem easier than guitar at first, it quickly becomes obvious that it's a lot less forgiving in other aspects. I can play piano, guitar and bass, and I personally do not find bass particularly easier by any standard. It does have a very different learning curve than other more melodic instruments.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Caleb for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 27.02.2020, 10:15
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS (and Alsace)
Posts: 7,942
Groaned at 299 Times in 195 Posts
Thanked 12,997 Times in 5,745 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bass guitar player looking for a band

Quote:
View Post
The funny thing is that in all bass courses one of the first advices is that “as bassists, you will have the big advantage that there are very few around, and the request for bass players is very high”.

OK, most of people want to play guitar… but probably most of the beginners musicians prefer to play bass because it’s easier (at least, it may be easier)!
The problem is that good, professional level bass players are indeed very rare. As one who plays "bass guitar at beginner-intermediate level" you're one of many, and any band looking for a bassist will have a lot of choice of presumed better players. The bass player is a huge part of the integrity of a band, and really needs to know his/her stuff.

Learning bass as you first, or indeed only, instrument will always leave you at a disadvantage. Chord shapes and progressions and various scales are a vital part of playing, but are much better, or more likely, acquired on guitar, so you tend to find that many really good bassists started out on guitar before shifting to bass.
__________________
Introduce yourself!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 27.02.2020, 10:42
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 4,089
Groaned at 76 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 7,705 Times in 3,084 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bass guitar player looking for a band

My friend has been a professional bass player (and double bass and classical guitar) for over 25 years. Indeed, finding someone to sub for him at his level can be incredibly difficult.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28.02.2020, 08:34
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored≤
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 14,097
Groaned at 230 Times in 174 Posts
Thanked 16,373 Times in 8,416 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bass guitar player looking for a band

Quote:
View Post
I don't know, I don't think it's easier. Although it may be seem easier than guitar at first, it quickly becomes obvious that it's a lot less forgiving in other aspects. I can play piano, guitar and bass, and I personally do not find bass particularly easier by any standard. It does have a very different learning curve than other more melodic instruments.

This. A guitarist loses it and people applaud him for creativity. A drummer or bass guitarist loses it and the song dies. Rhythm glues the song together completely differently than its melody.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 28.02.2020, 13:10
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 4,089
Groaned at 76 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 7,705 Times in 3,084 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bass guitar player looking for a band

Quote:
View Post
This. A guitarist loses it and people applaud him for creativity. A drummer or bass guitarist loses it and the song dies. Rhythm glues the song together completely differently than its melody.
Disagree.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 28.02.2020, 13:30
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS (and Alsace)
Posts: 7,942
Groaned at 299 Times in 195 Posts
Thanked 12,997 Times in 5,745 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bass guitar player looking for a band

Quote:
View Post
Disagree.
On principal, or what?

A lot of rock music is bass-lead, where it forms a foundation along with the drums, allowing guitar(s) to go off and do their own thing. The rhythm section may include guitar as well, which can take some of the dependency off the bass, but if you look at any of the great drums, one guitar, one bass rock lineups you'll find that the bassist is absolutely fundamental to the cohesion of the band.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 28.02.2020, 15:41
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 4,089
Groaned at 76 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 7,705 Times in 3,084 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bass guitar player looking for a band

Quote:
View Post
On principal, or what?

A lot of rock music is bass-lead, where it forms a foundation along with the drums, allowing guitar(s) to go off and do their own thing. The rhythm section may include guitar as well, which can take some of the dependency off the bass, but if you look at any of the great drums, one guitar, one bass rock lineups you'll find that the bassist is absolutely fundamental to the cohesion of the band.
Well aware. I disagree that a bass player can't riff. Rhythm and bass obviously vital, and form lots of classic hooks, but so is the melody.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 28.02.2020, 15:48
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS (and Alsace)
Posts: 7,942
Groaned at 299 Times in 195 Posts
Thanked 12,997 Times in 5,745 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bass guitar player looking for a band

Quote:
View Post
Well aware. I disagree that a bass player can't riff. Rhythm and bass obviously vital, and form lots of classic hooks, but so is the melody.
Well yeah, but nowhere in the post you replied to, nor elsewhere as far as I can tell, did anyone suggest that bass players can't riff, so you seem to be disagreeing with a point that nobody had made.

Some of my fave songs have great bass riffs in them - for some reason "You can call me Al" springs to my mind. Superb bass riffing on that track and throughout the album.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 28.02.2020, 15:58
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored≤
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 14,097
Groaned at 230 Times in 174 Posts
Thanked 16,373 Times in 8,416 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bass guitar player looking for a band

Quote:
View Post
Well yeah, but nowhere in the post you replied to, nor elsewhere as far as I can tell, did anyone suggest that bass players can't riff, so you seem to be disagreeing with a point that nobody had made.

Some of my fave songs have great bass riffs in them - for some reason "You can call me Al" springs to my mind. Superb bass riffing on that track and throughout the album.
Mais oui.

Melodic bass is lovely.

Last edited by MusicChick; 28.02.2020 at 16:29.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 28.02.2020, 18:02
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 4,089
Groaned at 76 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 7,705 Times in 3,084 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bass guitar player looking for a band

Quote:
View Post
Well yeah, but nowhere in the post you replied to, nor elsewhere as far as I can tell, did anyone suggest that bass players can't riff, so you seem to be disagreeing with a point that nobody had made.

Some of my fave songs have great bass riffs in them - for some reason "You can call me Al" springs to my mind. Superb bass riffing on that track and throughout the album.
Do I seem so?

Agree with second para. HTH.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bass player looking for a band brontozaur Other/general 0 27.05.2017 21:41
Guitar/Bass player lookin for a band.. Davide88 Daily life 0 11.12.2013 10:29
Bass Player looking for a band in ZH Schiavilli Introductions 6 21.02.2013 10:28
Bass player - Looking for band - Lausanne DJBlacklight Other/general 14 27.07.2011 14:09
Guitar/Bass player looking for.... Dez Daily life 3 13.07.2009 00:42


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0