Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #141  
Old 09.12.2010, 22:23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Depression Sufferers

Thinking of you Bertrand- hope things look up soon. xx Odile
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 09.12.2010, 22:33
DilysDidoreth's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zdnssdok
Posts: 157
Groaned at 15 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 138 Times in 60 Posts
DilysDidoreth has an excellent reputationDilysDidoreth has an excellent reputationDilysDidoreth has an excellent reputationDilysDidoreth has an excellent reputation
Re: Depression Sufferers

Quote:
View Post
Thanks guys. it's warming a lot

I'm used to that now, had a lot of talks about it with my psychiatrist.
It's related to my loneliness, the fact I need to have somebody to love.
It has always been.

It will become more and more painful these next days until I can "crack in tears" and things will get better from there.
Have you considered getting a cat?
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 09.12.2010, 22:36
NSchulzi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 2,422
Groaned at 52 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,215 Posts
NSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Depression Sufferers

Quote:
View Post
Thanks guys. it's warming a lot

I'm used to that now, had a lot of talks about it with my psychiatrist.
It's related to my loneliness, the fact I need to have somebody to love.
It has always been.

It will become more and more painful these next days until I can "crack in tears" and things will get better from there.
Bertrand, it takes a big man to admit to his tears - submit to them and hopefully it will give you some form of release and peace.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 09.12.2010, 23:54
Xenith's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rafz, Zürich
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 3 Posts
Xenith has earned some respectXenith has earned some respect
Re: Depression Sufferers

Quote:
View Post
I would suggest caution when considering taking medication for depression or anxiety. They both can have very serious side effects and can be very addictive. You check out the web to search for side effects. Also there have been books out recently about explaining the effects of medications and what they can do. A very good one is called
The Anatomy of an Epidemic
http://www.madinamerica.com/madiname...0Epidemic.html
I've been on the following antidepressants, (all with different affects),during my treatment regime: Cymbalta, Abilify, Trittico, Zyprexa, Wellbutrin, Efexor Er, Cypralex, Seroquel XR, and Deroxat. I wasn't on any of them for more than 6 months so I don't really know if they could have become addictive.
As mood stabilisers I take Lithium and Sodium Valproate.
Against anxiety/panic attacks I take Xanax 3mg, Lyrica 400mg and have also taken Themesta 2.5mg at times. I've heard that Xanax can become very addictive and I was able to put this theory to the test last week. I have been taking Xanax for the last 18months now and upon meeting with a couple of other Psychiatrists, (for a 2nd and 3rd opinion), they advised me as to the addictive properties and recommended that I slowly reduce my dosage. So I went from 3mg down to 2mg and promptly after 3 days started having panic attacks again. I freaked out so much that I instantly returned to 3mg. How do you know if this was a side affect, withdrawl symptom or just a lack of Alprazolam in my body ???
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 10.12.2010, 09:38
Bertrand - Geneva
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Depression Sufferers

Quote:
View Post
Have you considered getting a cat?
Got one. But I need a person to love....and who love me back

Quote:
View Post
Bertrand, it takes a big man to admit to his tears - submit to them and hopefully it will give you some form of release and peace.
Thanks. I know it releases very effectively... but it's so painful before it happens....
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 10.12.2010, 10:37
Focus
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Depression Sufferers

Quote:
View Post
Hey people,

It's funny, before I began my regime of hundreds of tablets I had a clearish head and my memory and thought processes seemed to be on an okay level. Now I suffer from very mild and not too often panic attacs() but my brain is mush.

So my post was really to hear from other people who are or have been in a similar situation. Would love to hear from you.......Thanks.
Yes, feeling like your brain is mush and feeling unclear is a side effect of the medications. Many people get off of meds because they feel like they are in a fog. As I mentioned previously get the book Anatomy of An Epidemic. It will really open ypour eyes.

I have been a neurofeedback coach here in Zurich for 13 years. I got into it because a relative was on ritalin and wanted to get off og them. The neurofeedback helped and I decided to stay with it because of its favourabel results.

I liked neurofeedback and biofeedback because it was a training rather than a therapy which often has the view of people as broken. In addition it is not all about talk. Talk can help to a certain extent but training is much more effective.

The only problem is many people today want a quick fix which they supposedlöy get from meedication. Training takes little more time and effort burt will be more effective and permanent.

Lastly the neurofeedback does help people to get out of states and be able to experience new states. It is totally non invasivwe and definitely helps a person to perform better. It is even being used to help professional atheletes to improve there performance
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #147  
Old 10.12.2010, 10:41
J.L-P's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Gocki
Posts: 2,741
Groaned at 53 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,044 Posts
J.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Depression Sufferers

Quote:
View Post
Yes, feeling like your brain is mush and feeling unclear is a side effect of the medications. Many people get off of meds because they feel like they are in a fog. As I mentioned previously get the book Anatomy of An Epidemic. It will really open ypour eyes.

I have been a neurofeedback coach here in Zurich for 13 years. I got into it because a relative was on ritalin and wanted to get off og them. The neurofeedback helped and I decided to stay with it because of its favourabel results.

I liked neurofeedback and biofeedback because it was a training rather than a therapy which often has the view of people as broken. In addition it is not all about talk. Talk can help to a certain extent but training is much more effective.

The only problem is many people today want a quick fix which they supposedlöy get from meedication. Training takes little more time and effort burt will be more effective and permanent.

Lastly the neurofeedback does help people to get out of states and be able to experience new states. It is totally non invasivwe and definitely helps a person to perform better. It is even being used to help professional atheletes to improve there performance
Not again!
Reply With Quote
This user groans at J.L-P for this post:
  #148  
Old 10.12.2010, 10:42
Focus
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Depression Sufferers

Quote:
View Post
they advised me as to the addictive properties and recommended that I slowly reduce my dosage. So I went from 3mg down to 2mg and promptly after 3 days started having panic attacks again. I freaked out so much that I instantly returned to 3mg. How do you know if this was a side affect, withdrawl symptom or just a lack of Alprazolam in my body ???
The advice to reduce slowly was good advice.

As far as I know it is withdrawal symptom. Actually what happens is that the brain has become accustomed to the medication. As you take away the the medication the brain tries to readjust and you will have all kinds of symptoms in this process. This what addicition is all about.

Again get the book I mentioned.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 10.12.2010, 10:46
kslausanne's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 412
Groaned at 39 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 565 Times in 228 Posts
kslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Depression Sufferers

Dear Bertrand,
I'm sorry you feel so bad, and I wish you courage and love.

Quote:
View Post
Got one. But I need a person to love....and who love me back



Thanks. I know it releases very effectively... but it's so painful before it happens....
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 10.12.2010, 10:52
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,614
Groaned at 416 Times in 279 Posts
Thanked 17,904 Times in 5,531 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Depression Sufferers

Quote:
View Post
Got one. But I need a person to love....and who love me back
During depression, one stops loving themselves, which helps you to fall deeper and deeper.

The key to being happy is to love yourself, forgive yourself and be kind to yourself. You can't depend on someone else to make you happy. (although a satisfying relationship can make you even happier.)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #151  
Old 10.12.2010, 11:04
Focus
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Depression Sufferers

Quote:
View Post
Not again!
Yes, again. And I will continue to do so. At one time I was intimidated by people like you and refrained from saying anything. Then someone told that I need to be sharing this.

Many people are now asking for biofeedback because what has become traditional and accepted no longer works. There are people who want more out of life and are prepared to do something about it.

I have experienced depression and thankfully I have not experienced again. I had a brothered who was schizophrenic and committed suicide. He was on a cocktail of medications and did not have much of a life.

In addition I have helped many people who were willing chnage their lives.

So I will ignore people like you who are cynical.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #152  
Old 10.12.2010, 11:06
kslausanne's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 412
Groaned at 39 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 565 Times in 228 Posts
kslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Depression Sufferers

That's true, and when you don't love and care for yourself, you may attract the wrong people. When I was hateful towards myself I attracted people with sick minns who saw a pretty girl who was easily controlled. Now that I'm making myself happy, all sorts of cool people like to hang around with me. People like to be with they admire, I think.
Quote:
View Post
During depression, one stops loving themselves, which helps you to fall deeper and deeper.

The key to being happy is to love yourself, forgive yourself and be kind to yourself. You can't depend on someone else to make you happy. (although a satisfying relationship can make you even happier.)
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 10.12.2010, 11:22
J.L-P's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Gocki
Posts: 2,741
Groaned at 53 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,044 Posts
J.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Depression Sufferers

Quote:
View Post
Yes, again. And I will continue to do so. At one time I was intimidated by people like you and refrained from saying anything. Then someone told that I need to be sharing this.
Many people are now asking for biofeedback because what has become traditional and accepted no longer works. There are people who want more out of life and are prepared to do something about it.
I have experienced depression and thankfully I have not experienced again. I had a brothered who was schizophrenic and committed suicide. He was on a cocktail of medications and did not have much of a life.
In addition I have helped many people who were willing chnage their lives.
So I will ignore people like you who are cynical.
I prefer people consult medical doctors for illnesses including mental illness before trying alternative treatments. Depression or rather Clinical Depression is recognized as a disease and although there are various methods of treating Clinical Depression a medical doctor should be the one making the diagnosis and offer possibilities of treatment.

If someone told you to share and many people are asking for bio-feedback that is nice... your reputation speaks for itself.

I am cynical; that should not intimidate you. Keep preaching the good news.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank J.L-P for this useful post:
  #154  
Old 10.12.2010, 11:23
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Solothurn
Posts: 725
Groaned at 88 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 645 Times in 325 Posts
Enaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Depression Sufferers

Quote:
View Post
Yes, exactly, the same resurrecting power for those who accept it.


Even Monty Python got it right:

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...

So always look on the bright side of death
Just before you draw your terminal breath




Something else from the Monty Python film "Life of Brian" which I noticed is where the crowd are following Brian and mistaking him for the Messiah and he shouts "no I'm not the Messiah - go away and do it yourselves"....

Seems like the Monty Python team were trying to get a message across
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Enaj for this useful post:
  #155  
Old 10.12.2010, 11:30
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Solothurn
Posts: 725
Groaned at 88 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 645 Times in 325 Posts
Enaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Depression Sufferers

Quote:
Nope.

I'm still a selfish, egocentric bastard.
A strong ego is a prerequisite for losing it (the ego I mean). A strong ego is necessary for action i.e., without which you would possibly still be in Cannock.

People with a weak sense of self think about doing things, have the intention to do do things, but don't actually do them.

You're probably on the right path after all
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 10.12.2010, 11:40
Focus
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Depression Sufferers

Quote:
View Post
I prefer people consult medical doctors for illnesses including mental illness before trying alternative treatments. Depression or rather Clinical Depression is recognized as a disease and although there are various methods of treating Clinical Depression a medical doctor should be the one making the diagnosis and offer possibilities of treatment.

If someone told you to share and many people are asking for bio-feedback that is nice... your reputation speaks for itself.

I am cynical; that should not intimidate you. Keep preaching the good news.
Blind faith in a medical system that promotes the use of medications. We have been trained to believe that a medical doctor is the only answer. Pschiatry is built upon medication.What I am trying to share is that there is an alternative to medication. What I am not saying is that all Dr.s are bad. There are a few doctors who do care, who will spend time with their patients and not use medication. But they are hard to find.

A number of years ago, a doctor was referring patients to a certain neurofeedback trainer. Sometime later the Dr. called to say that he could not send them any more patients because the patients were not longer retunring to him because they were better.

People are not onkly coming to me because of my reputation but because they are looking for an alternative to something that is not working.

Believe it or not, medications in many cases are making people sicker and is even killing them. Check it our on the web.

In regard to depression vitamin D is a great help.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
This user groans at for this post:
  #157  
Old 10.12.2010, 11:49
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Depression Sufferers

Quote:
View Post
Yes, again. And I will continue to do so. At one time I was intimidated by people like you and refrained from saying anything. Then someone told that I need to be sharing this.

Many people are now asking for biofeedback because what has become traditional and accepted no longer works. There are people who want more out of life and are prepared to do something about it.

I have experienced depression and thankfully I have not experienced again. I had a brothered who was schizophrenic and committed suicide. He was on a cocktail of medications and did not have much of a life.

In addition I have helped many people who were willing chnage their lives.

So I will ignore people like you who are cynical.
I am sorry about your brother. And I do recognize that biofeedback helps.

But I'm going to rant now.

I don't think it is appropriate to blame medication for all problems and to necessarily denigrate people who use medication as people who don't really want to heal themselves. And I've seen a lot of this in this thread. These illnesses are notoriously difficult to treat.

I've been on an antidepressant for many years. But when I was adjusting my dose, I was very patient. I went up in small increments and went back and forth. I also take a stimulant to oddly enough, help me relax and focus. And it works. I also exercise, practice some forms of meditation and relaxation and I take vitamins D and B12 regularly. I also take fish oil. The truth is that we should avail ourselves of as many methods and tools as we can. But for me, at least, I appear to have a chemical imbalance which requires certain medication. I realize I'm lucky too - I've had a lot of support and opportunities to try different things to make me better. And I am so much better.

There is no magic bullet for anything. One method may not be better than another. And certainly one size doesn't fit all.

Certainly people should use whatever means possible to help. But people who are depressed and anxious are often vulnerable. Don't make them feel guilty for trying traditional methods. At the same time, there is nothing wrong with the services you offer. But when you say you work with people who want to change their lives do you assume that individuals who use medication and therapy don't? That's unfair as well.

Sure, let's talk about different methods. But not at the expense of methods that some of us use now.

End of rant.

Edited to add - I tried lots of things before I went on medication - biofeedback, therapy, breathing exercises, walking, yoga etc etc. It wasn't until I actually went on meds and lowered my level of anxiety that I could even be receptive to any of these methods. So I know they work, but you have to be in the right frame of mind to get them to work. ANd if your level of anxiety or depression is too high, then it's hard to be receptive.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #158  
Old 10.12.2010, 12:07
Focus
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Depression Sufferers

Quote:

I don't think it is appropriate to blame medication for all problems and to necessarily denigrate people who use medication as people who don't really want to heal themselves. And I've seen a lot of this in this thread. These illnesses are notoriously difficult to treat.

But for me, at least, I appear to have a chemical imbalance which requires certain medication. I realize I'm lucky too - I've had a lot of support and opportunities to try different things to make me better. And I am so much better.

There is no magic bullet for anything. One method may not be better than another. And certainly one size doesn't fit all.

But people who are depressed and anxious are often vulnerable. Don't make them feel guilty for trying traditional methods. At the same time, there is nothing wrong with the services you offer. But when you say you work with people who want to change their lives do you assume that individuals who use medication and therapy don't? That's unfair as well.

Sure, let's talk about different methods. But not at the expense of methods that some of us use now.

End of rant.
I am not denigrating people who use medications. What I am trying to and maybe not too well, is to let people knolw of the side effects etc of using medications. should people not be mafe aware of this.

A couple of years ago, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and given medication with no expalanation. other than jsut take it. it was quite the roller coaster. I researched the medications on the web and found that they had side effects. I deiced that I needed to get off of these medications and to do that I needed chnage my diet. I did.lost 20 kiols and am not longer diabetic. Point being is that my docotr did not take the time to help with this.

Of course people want to feel better but they are being told told that the only solution is medication. I am hoping to let them know that there is hope an d another solution.

Secondly, we have been led to beleieve that these are diseases, illnesses etc. I along with other people are startin g to see that we are not all nbroken. I do not know anyone whol does not have probelms and issues in out lives. Wed can all learn how to feel better.

I am sorry but this chemical imbalance theory is what the docotrs have devbeloped . There has been brain scans done of people with a variety of these issues and it has been no indication of an imbalance.

I know what it is like to be depressed and full of anxiety. It is not pleasant and can be very hard. And when I was I very much wanted to not tzopp feel this way. But today I do not have these issues. I am not now always up but this is a part of life.

I have really stepped out on a limb here, I know. And I know that people who are using medications or are giving medications to children will be very defensive but do not people have the right to know that meedications are not the only solution.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #159  
Old 10.12.2010, 12:12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Depression Sufferers

Quote:
View Post
Thanks guys. it's warming a lot

I'm used to that now, had a lot of talks about it with my psychiatrist.
It's related to my loneliness, the fact I need to have somebody to love.
It has always been.

It will become more and more painful these next days until I can "crack in tears" and things will get better from there.

Bertrand, isn't the issue loneliness? Because of the loneliness, you get depressed, no? Therefore, you take medication for the depression?

But shouldn't you deal with the loneliness instead of taking pills for the depression? Seems to me that in such a case, a plan of action to deal with the loneliness is called for, rather than a box of pills.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #160  
Old 10.12.2010, 12:29
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Depression Sufferers

I know the mind can be trained to focus. But oftentimes, it is a poor attitude that leads a person to depression. The rumination that accompanies depression can be used to pinpoint troublesome attitudes, allowing a person to correct it.

But if a person does not run the full gamut of depression, but circumvents it with drugs or mental techniques, how would they ever learn which attitudes cause them problems in life?

Last edited by Phos; 10.12.2010 at 12:46.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Humanities BA and the depression that sets in afterwards dali Employment 26 20.01.2012 18:49
Germany's soccer player Enke Commits Suicide ( Depression ) darrylmitchell General off-topic 17 13.11.2009 09:06


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0