Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 14.01.2011, 15:19
swiss_in_training's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,350
Groaned at 19 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,392 Times in 606 Posts
swiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond repute
Re: breakfast for kids-what do you do?

Quote:
View Post
Hubby and I eat oatmeal most mornings. 1 cup of cut rolled oats, 1 cup of water, 1 cup of milk in the rice cooker for 15 minutes. I either add brown sugar and cinnamon, raisins and chopped dried apricots, or grated apple and cinnamon. And we always crumble a few walnuts on top.

The kids only want cereal, and of course they want the crap cereals. In the interest of moderation, they are allowed to alternate mornings of having crap cereal (cookie crisp or cinniminis) and Cherrios, which at least has less sugar and a good oatmeal content.

If you're into bread, but don't like it stale, you can always make fabulous french toast with stale bread. Just slice it up and put it in a casserole dish, beat up some eggs, milk, a tiny bit of sugar and some cinnamon and pour that on top. Leave it covered over night in the fridge and cook it up the next morning (or midday - it makes a great lunch too).
We do make french toast on weekends, from leftover eggs, but I can't see it as a weekday morning breakfast...maple syrup + desire to fingerpaint = oh no...OH NO!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 14.01.2011, 15:24
swiss_in_training's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,350
Groaned at 19 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,392 Times in 606 Posts
swiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond repute
Re: breakfast for kids-what do you do?

Quote:
View Post
No, but the ideas are good, why not introduce those foods to kids. It can take 15 or 20 times before a kid will like a food.
Yes, but that's for foods like green beans or scrambled eggs. I wouldn't eat pickles or olives for breakfast, so I can't see forcing my picky toddler to do so!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 14.01.2011, 15:26
swiss_in_training's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,350
Groaned at 19 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,392 Times in 606 Posts
swiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond repute
Re: breakfast for kids-what do you do?

Quote:
View Post
Not too bad, but I would lay off the juice for the kids. Better for them to eat the fruit whole. The juice is mainly sugar.
Sorry, but what is so terrible about sugar? I understand not feeding them candy, but a bit of juice doesn't seem so bad. Then again, I'm so desperate to feed this child calories that I will, on occasion, let her eat straight-up butter.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 14.01.2011, 15:27
Serafina's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canton Geneve
Posts: 504
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 230 Times in 153 Posts
Serafina has earned the respect of manySerafina has earned the respect of manySerafina has earned the respect of many
Re: breakfast for kids-what do you do?

Quote:
View Post
We do make french toast on weekends, from leftover eggs, but I can't see it as a weekday morning breakfast...maple syrup + desire to fingerpaint = oh no...OH NO!
You can have it with jam or sprinkled with powdered sugar instead. That is how my eldest son likes his. But honestly for us it's a weekend thing too. I'm not a morning person.

That's why we have oatmeal (and also for the health benefit). I throw the ingredients in the rice cooker, go back upstairs to get ready, and when I come back down it's ready. I love my rice cooker. It cooks WAY more than rice.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Serafina for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 14.01.2011, 15:31
swiss_in_training's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,350
Groaned at 19 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,392 Times in 606 Posts
swiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond repute
Re: breakfast for kids-what do you do?

Quote:
View Post
You can have it with jam or sprinkled with powdered sugar instead. That is how my eldest son likes his. But honestly for us it's a weekend thing too. I'm not a morning person.

That's why we have oatmeal (and also for the health benefit). I throw the ingredients in the rice cooker, go back upstairs to get ready, and when I come back down it's ready. I love my rice cooker. It cooks WAY more than rice.
Maybe I need to make friends with my rice cooker. I would like to be friends with at least one piece of kitchen equipment...
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 14.01.2011, 15:40
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,231
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: breakfast for kids-what do you do?

Quote:
View Post
Maybe I need to make friends with my rice cooker. I would like to be friends with at least one piece of kitchen equipment...
WTF!?! You have room for a rice cooker but not a toaster... sheesh.

Quote:
View Post
Sorry, but what is so terrible about sugar? I understand not feeding them candy, but a bit of juice doesn't seem so bad. Then again, I'm so desperate to feed this child calories that I will, on occasion, let her eat straight-up butter.
Child murderer.

Quote:
View Post
No, but the ideas are good, why not introduce those foods to kids. It can take 15 or 20 times before a kid will like a food.
That must be it then. Our eldest must be stuck on try #19... permanently...
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #47  
Old 14.01.2011, 16:23
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,055
Groaned at 649 Times in 502 Posts
Thanked 25,851 Times in 10,419 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: breakfast for kids-what do you do?

Quote:
View Post
Black olives, tomato, pickled gurken, block of feta, hard boiled egg, glass of juice diluted with water. A great start to the day, without sugar/refined carbs, keeps em going till lunch. You can add Greek yoghurt or some smoked mackerel too.
Nah, they'd be demanding Znuni at 08.30 if they ate that.

Carbs are what kids need for breakfast!

Ours have weetabix or something else with low or no sugar, a glass of milk, yoghurt and sometimes fruit (half a grapefruit) or fruit salad.

We ought to get up five minutes early and make porridge more often.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 14.01.2011, 17:01
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: breakfast for kids-what do you do?

If you have the space get a sandwich iron, it is nice and warm, throw a slice of ham in it and cheese, butter both of the inside bread sides. Or, we make an oatmeal, with sprinkled chocolate powder, a bit of cinnemon and sugar and butter. Or I bake her a croissant, or pain au lait that one gets prebaked here. Hot chocolate, OJ, petit fromage fraiche, etc. Melons, raspberries, pears, apples. Toast and marmite.

As for being non breakfast person, everyone would be, if you go like this for while. It's a matter of habit, than a disposition. It's fab you decided to change your habits to teach your child good eating routine.
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H. Pestalozzi

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 14.01.2011, 17:11
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: breakfast for kids-what do you do?

Quote:
View Post

Carbs are what kids need for breakfast!
I'd like to respectfully disagree with that. Most carbs will be burnt off by kids on the journey to school, slow cook oats - perhaps but kids need a good whack of protein and fat in the morning, with fruit (carbs) as energy snacks mid afternoon.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #50  
Old 14.01.2011, 17:12
zurich99's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: zurich
Posts: 384
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 306 Times in 119 Posts
zurich99 has earned the respect of manyzurich99 has earned the respect of manyzurich99 has earned the respect of many
Re: breakfast for kids-what do you do?

Quote:
View Post
A croissant for a snack most days? Didn't their kinski tell them about foods and appropiate snacks? Actually the peanut butter in moderation is better than the Nutella
What do you mean? Croissants are bad for a snack? or are you talking about the fillings? i thought i was giving them a better option than crisps and biscuits
(this is at home btw when they get in from school around 2.30)
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 14.01.2011, 17:14
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: breakfast for kids-what do you do?

Quote:
View Post
What do you mean? Croissants are bad for a snack? or are you talking about the fillings? i thought i was giving them a better option than crisps and biscuits
(this is at home btw when they get in from school around 2.30)
Croissants are terrible, and nutritionally, identical to a biscuit. The type of flour is T45 (type 45) which is the most refined wheat flour in existence. This is combined with equal parts butter making it the nutritional equivalent of a Marlboro Red. Yum. Give your kids an apple.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #52  
Old 14.01.2011, 17:18
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: breakfast for kids-what do you do?

Quote:
View Post
Black olives, tomato, pickled gurken, block of feta, hard boiled egg, glass of juice diluted with water. A great start to the day, without sugar/refined carbs, keeps em going till lunch. You can add Greek yoghurt or some smoked mackerel too.
You are so TURK!

My two years old loves all of that and more (except for the mackerel). I'll make some menemen, sucuk (spicy turkish sausage), sausage, etc.

In the week days, she is a peanut butter huge fan. Do not take the Peanut butter away or you'll get into trouble!
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 14.01.2011, 17:19
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: breakfast for kids-what do you do?

Quote:
View Post
Croissants are terrible, and nutritionally, identical to a biscuit. The type of flour is T45 (type 45) which is the most refined wheat flour in existence. This is combined with equal parts butter making it the nutritional equivalent of a Marlboro Red. Yum. Give your kids an apple.
It's true. Just a really fatty biscuits, in fact. Simple fatty pastry dough. Unless you need to fatten your kiddo up. Ours don't even like them, unless I spread something on it. It flakes off and makes a mess, too easily.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 14.01.2011, 17:20
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,055
Groaned at 649 Times in 502 Posts
Thanked 25,851 Times in 10,419 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: breakfast for kids-what do you do?

Quote:
View Post
I'd like to respectfully disagree with that. Most carbs will be burnt off by kids on the journey to school, slow cook oats - perhaps but kids need a good whack of protein and fat in the morning, with fruit (carbs) as energy snacks mid afternoon.
I did list a glass of milk and milk on the non-sugar cereal.
How much more protein is feta cheese going to give? (With all respect, do you have any idea of how little cheese a young child can actually eat in one go?)
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 14.01.2011, 17:20
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: breakfast for kids-what do you do?

Quote:
View Post
You are so TURK!

My two years old loves all of that and more (except for the mackerel). I'll make some menemen, sucuk (spicy turkish sausage), sausage, etc.

In the week days, she is a peanut butter huge fan. Do not take the Peanut butter away or you'll get into trouble!
Make my own hummus and peynir too. IMO peanut butter is very healthy in moderation. Even healthier, you can get peanut butter made with the peanut skins, without sugar. Kids probably won't even tell the difference.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #56  
Old 14.01.2011, 17:21
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: breakfast for kids-what do you do?

Quote:
View Post
I did list a glass of milk and milk on the non-sugar cereal.
How much more protein is feta cheese going to give? (With all respect, do you have any idea of how little cheese a young child can actually eat in one go?)
No no sure it's going to be a little block, and I'd also give em some fish or meat in the morning, but the principle is that refined carbs aren't what people really need in the morning to keep them going longest. Milk is great.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 14.01.2011, 17:22
zurich99's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: zurich
Posts: 384
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 306 Times in 119 Posts
zurich99 has earned the respect of manyzurich99 has earned the respect of manyzurich99 has earned the respect of many
Re: breakfast for kids-what do you do?

Quote:
View Post
Croissants are terrible, and nutritionally, identical to a biscuit. The type of flour is T45 (type 45) which is the most refined wheat flour in existence. This is combined with equal parts butter making it the nutritional equivalent of a Marlboro Red. Yum. Give your kids an apple.
Jesus! well thanks for the info, I didnt realise....Its so hard sometimes getting the 'good' food into kids. My boy loves to eat apples infact he would eat one after another all day, but thats all he would eat if I let him
My girl loves to eat all sorts so she is no problem, but just as you 'think' you have found something good and easy to get the kids to eat, you find out its devil food. well back to the drawing board then....
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 14.01.2011, 17:23
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: breakfast for kids-what do you do?

Quote:
View Post
I did list a glass of milk and milk on the non-sugar cereal.
How much more protein is feta cheese going to give? (With all respect, do you have any idea of how little cheese a young child can actually eat in one go?)
Well, about 300gr ours. Ugh.

Feta is a lot more valuable than simple milk, for calcium content. I think more proteins, too.

I actually do agree with feta, dark bread and egg with some fruits or veggies to be the perfect breakfast, but cannot really see a 2yr old buying into this.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 14.01.2011, 17:23
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: breakfast for kids-what do you do?

Quote:
View Post
Jesus! well thanks for the info, I didnt realise....Its so hard sometimes getting the 'good' food into kids. My boy loves to eat apples infact he would eat one after another all day, but thats all he would eat if I let him
My girl loves to eat all sorts so she is no problem, but just as you 'think' you have found something good and easy to get the kids to eat, you find out its devil food. well back to the drawing board then....
Your kid could do a lot worse than overeat apples! try this as a sweet snack:

Get plate:

2 tablespoons plain greek yoghurt
handful of dried fruit
handful of walnuts
2 teaspoons of honey.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #60  
Old 14.01.2011, 17:24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 391
Groaned at 18 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 165 Times in 80 Posts
Country_Mouse is considered knowledgeableCountry_Mouse is considered knowledgeableCountry_Mouse is considered knowledgeable
Economisto, we are so alike!! Fantastic food sense, love the Greek salad in the morning, if ever I could be assed to make it. I eat organic peanut butter straight from the jar, which I think is one of the healthiest things ever. Oh, make my own hummus also ;-)

Last edited by jrspet; 14.01.2011 at 17:25. Reason: No real names on this public forum please.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Country_Mouse for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
breakfast, kids




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
American breakfast Sutter Social events 4 28.05.2011 10:29
My dog's breakfast Bobby.Buchi Pet corner 24 10.11.2010 18:51
Breakfast choices HAT Food and drink 56 10.06.2009 16:01


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0