Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24.06.2011, 13:19
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,575
Groaned at 212 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Type 2 diabetes in newly diagnosed 'can be reversed' - drastic 2 month diet.

Hopefully very good news for people like myself, recently diagnosed.

In brief.

The 11 participants in the study were all diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes within the previous four years.

They cut their food intake drastically for two months, eating only liquid diet drinks and non-starchy vegetables.

Seven out of 11 people studied were free of diabetes three months later, say findings published in the journal.

"This diet was only used to test the hypothesis that if people lose substantial weight they will lose their diabetes."

"Such a drastic diet should only be undertaken under medical supervision. Despite being a very small trial, we look forward to future results particularly to see whether the reversal would remain in the long term."
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Upthehatters2008 for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 24.06.2011, 13:20
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
ZH2112 has made some interesting contributions
Re: Type 2 diabetes in newly diagnosed 'can be reversed' - drastic 2 month diet.

Thank you for posting. This should inspire people!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24.06.2011, 13:21
economisto
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Type 2 diabetes in newly diagnosed 'can be reversed' - drastic 2 month diet.

I suggest you just eat one Zinger tower burger per day.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 24.06.2011, 13:42
cran's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Basel Stadt
Posts: 608
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 635 Times in 264 Posts
cran has an excellent reputationcran has an excellent reputationcran has an excellent reputationcran has an excellent reputation
Re: Type 2 diabetes in newly diagnosed 'can be reversed' - drastic 2 month diet.

600 calories a day for two months... sounds fun!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cran for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 24.06.2011, 13:52
porsch1909
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Type 2 diabetes in newly diagnosed 'can be reversed' - drastic 2 month diet.

Is it not quite unhealthy to have only 600calories per day though?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24.06.2011, 13:53
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,575
Groaned at 212 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Type 2 diabetes in newly diagnosed 'can be reversed' - drastic 2 month diet.

Quote:
View Post
600 calories a day for two months... sounds fun!

I wouldn't think twice about doing it... Such a small price to pay to reverse what can be an awful disease later on in life...Blindness, kidney failure , amputations etc... I would probably go for a 2 month holiday , a nice hot climate, beach etc, where calorie intake is reduced anyhow.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24.06.2011, 13:54
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,575
Groaned at 212 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Type 2 diabetes in newly diagnosed 'can be reversed' - drastic 2 month diet.

Quote:
View Post
Is it not quite unhealthy to have only 600calories per day though?

It is a drastic diet. But "unhealthy" has to be viewed as overall, and the end results would mean you coming out of the two month period , in a relatively healthier state. It's only calories that are controlled, not vitamins , minerals etc, so no long term side affects.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Upthehatters2008 for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 24.06.2011, 14:05
Clarejane's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Where my heart is
Posts: 349
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 540 Times in 185 Posts
Clarejane has a reputation beyond reputeClarejane has a reputation beyond reputeClarejane has a reputation beyond reputeClarejane has a reputation beyond reputeClarejane has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Type 2 diabetes in newly diagnosed 'can be reversed' - drastic 2 month diet.

Quote:
View Post
I would probably go for a 2 month holiday , a nice hot climate, beach etc, where calorie intake is reduced anyhow.
But don't you usually have a higher alcohol intake on holiday and eat in nice places?

Oh and does this mean I can have the rest of the Godminster
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Clarejane for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 24.06.2011, 14:05
porsch1909
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Type 2 diabetes in newly diagnosed 'can be reversed' - drastic 2 month diet.

Quote:
View Post
It is a drastic diet. But "unhealthy" has to be viewed as overall, and the end results would mean you coming out of the two month period , in a relatively healthier state. It's only calories that are controlled, not vitamins , minerals etc, so no long term side affects.
I'd still stick to homeopathic
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24.06.2011, 15:16
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,569
Groaned at 246 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 11,572 Times in 6,319 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Type 2 diabetes in newly diagnosed 'can be reversed' - drastic 2 month diet.

Quote:
View Post
600 calories a day for two months... sounds fun!
If I read the article correctly then 1 week of the diet has a signicant positive effect?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 24.06.2011, 15:17
MathNut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kt. Glarus
Posts: 4,341
Groaned at 35 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 10,436 Times in 3,159 Posts
MathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Type 2 diabetes in newly diagnosed 'can be reversed' - drastic 2 month diet.

Quote:
View Post
"This diet was only used to test the hypothesis that if people lose substantial weight they will lose their diabetes."
Folk wisdom says this is definitely true; unfortunately I don't know anyone who's ever successfully done it. It's really hard to go on a strict diet and simultaneously change your whole way of eating to better control your blood sugar. Small meals often is where it's at for keeping your blood sugar level, and although "small meals often" certainly sounds like a medically reasonable way to lose weight, what actually happens is that you lose track of how much you're eating and how often. Then you start skipping "snacks" because your last one was too big and next thing you know you haven't lost any weight AND your blood sugar's out of whack again.

We're familiar with the three-meals-a-day pattern, we know about how big those meals should be and how much snacking, dessert, beer, etc. we can get away with. You might not be counting calories as such, but if you've maintained your current weight for any length of time, you have a pretty good sense of whether yesterday's food intake was compatible with that or not.

Now suddenly you try to translate that acquired intuition into eight snacks a day (NONE of which you're allowed to skip, no matter if you've overeaten on the previous snack or not). Doesn't work. You'll eventually get the hang of it, but in the meantime you're guaranteed to lose track, start eating things that are less like snacks and more like full meals, skipping other meals to cover them - and gain weight instead of losing it. Not my personal experience but that of several extended-family members.

I don't mean to be discouraging, and I wish you all the best however you go at it, but seriously, my advice would be to get the managing-your-blood-sugar thing down first and only then worry about losing weight. Bear in mind that this study's definition of "recently diagnosed" is "within the last four years": you've got time.
__________________
Need help? Contact a mod.


Last edited by MathNut; 24.06.2011 at 15:41.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MathNut for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 24.06.2011, 15:52
cran's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Basel Stadt
Posts: 608
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 635 Times in 264 Posts
cran has an excellent reputationcran has an excellent reputationcran has an excellent reputationcran has an excellent reputation
Re: Type 2 diabetes in newly diagnosed 'can be reversed' - drastic 2 month diet.

Quote:
"This diet was only used to test the hypothesis that if people lose substantial weight they will lose their diabetes."
The key seems to be the losing weight...

It is also possible to lose weight with exercise, so 1400 calories and an hour of cardio could achieve the same results...

Personally I would prefer to eat more and exercise (I'd even exercise 3 hours a day to lose weight) in that situation.

Would liposuction work?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 24.06.2011, 16:24
jaudi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: zurich
Posts: 515
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 430 Times in 205 Posts
jaudi has an excellent reputationjaudi has an excellent reputationjaudi has an excellent reputationjaudi has an excellent reputation
Re: Type 2 diabetes in newly diagnosed 'can be reversed' - drastic 2 month diet.

My understanding is that high fat diets contribute to insulin resistance. It stands to reason that if you change from a high fat diet to a low fat diet this may reduce the insulin resistance. But this is not the only factor (insulin production can also be at fault).

What is less clear to me is actually how one defines 'diabetes' and in what respect it is generally considered 'non-reversible'. Generally the aim with diabetics is to reach a level of control, rather than cure. I would be surprised to find a 3 month study could really reveal if a level of control had been sustainably reached, let alone cure. Consider that the usual measure (that I'm aware of) is the HbA1c test, which is a 3-month back-check analysis of average sugar level. So how in month 3 can we be sure that action in months 1, 2 have 'cured' the condition.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 24.06.2011, 16:25
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 11,570
Groaned at 309 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 16,047 Times in 6,567 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Type 2 diabetes in newly diagnosed 'can be reversed' - drastic 2 month diet.

Quote:
View Post
The key seems to be the losing weight...

It is also possible to lose weight with exercise, so 1400 calories and an hour of cardio could achieve the same results...


Personally I would prefer to eat more and exercise (I'd even exercise 3 hours a day to lose weight) in that situation.

Yeah, but taking exercise involved getting of their backsides. And sadly, a lack of this is what got a lot of people to this state anyway.*

*with the usual caveat for those with a medical condition causing their obesity.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 24.06.2011, 16:45
E. Neubauten's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richterswil
Posts: 346
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 267 Times in 141 Posts
E. Neubauten is considered knowledgeableE. Neubauten is considered knowledgeableE. Neubauten is considered knowledgeable
Re: Type 2 diabetes in newly diagnosed 'can be reversed' - drastic 2 month diet.

Funny, my understanding is that high carb (refined carbs / sugar) diets contribute to insuline resistance. Its carbs/sugars that trigger the strongest insuline repsone, no?

The diet as described looks like a low carb crash diet. Last year a Dutch doctor had some publicity since he was (succesfully) treating people with diabetes 2 by using a high proteine/low or no carb diet combined with an exercise programm.

Quote:
View Post
My understanding is that high fat diets contribute to insulin resistance. It stands to reason that if you change from a high fat diet to a low fat diet this may reduce the insulin resistance. But this is not the only factor (insulin production can also be at fault).

What is less clear to me is actually how one defines 'diabetes' and in what respect it is generally considered 'non-reversible'. Generally the aim with diabetics is to reach a level of control, rather than cure. I would be surprised to find a 3 month study could really reveal if a level of control had been sustainably reached, let alone cure. Consider that the usual measure (that I'm aware of) is the HbA1c test, which is a 3-month back-check analysis of average sugar level. So how in month 3 can we be sure that action in months 1, 2 have 'cured' the condition.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 24.06.2011, 17:25
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 11,570
Groaned at 309 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 16,047 Times in 6,567 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Type 2 diabetes in newly diagnosed 'can be reversed' - drastic 2 month diet.

Quote:
View Post
Is it not quite unhealthy to have only 600calories per day though?
It's unhealthy to get type 2 diabetes. It's shocking if this is through lifestyle choice rather than through the one or two unpreventable reasons.

All this can cause it:

Smoking
Excessive alcohol
Too much food
Not enough exercise.

Hardly a case of "If only I had known those things were bad for me..."
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 24.06.2011, 17:32
JonnyLaRock!'s Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 498
Groaned at 116 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 262 Posts
JonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond reputeJonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond reputeJonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond reputeJonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Type 2 diabetes in newly diagnosed 'can be reversed' - drastic 2 month diet.

Quote:
View Post
Hopefully very good news for people like myself, recently diagnosed.

In brief.

The 11 participants in the study were all diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes within the previous four years.

They cut their food intake drastically for two months, eating only liquid diet drinks and non-starchy vegetables.

Seven out of 11 people studied were free of diabetes three months later, say findings published in the journal.

"This diet was only used to test the hypothesis that if people lose substantial weight they will lose their diabetes."

"Such a drastic diet should only be undertaken under medical supervision. Despite being a very small trial, we look forward to future results particularly to see whether the reversal would remain in the long term."
Tell us something we don't know, type 2 diabetes is dangerous side effect to a life-style choice.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 24.06.2011, 17:40
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,186
Groaned at 113 Times in 101 Posts
Thanked 9,824 Times in 4,138 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Type 2 diabetes in newly diagnosed 'can be reversed' - drastic 2 month diet.

Quote:
View Post
I wouldn't think twice about doing it... Such a small price to pay to reverse what can be an awful disease later on in life...Blindness, kidney failure , amputations etc... I would probably go for a 2 month holiday , a nice hot climate, beach etc, where calorie intake is reduced anyhow.
More to the point, you'll die 10 years younger (on average). If memory serves me right

Quote:
View Post
Tell us something we don't know, type 2 diabetes is dangerous side effect to a life-style choice.
That it can reversible in certain cases? That was news to me.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 24.06.2011, 17:56
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Zurich and Thalwil
Posts: 544
Groaned at 38 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 288 Times in 161 Posts
Focus has made some interesting contributions
Re: Type 2 diabetes in newly diagnosed 'can be reversed' - drastic 2 month diet.

15 months ago I was type 2 diabetic and I was on medication. I also had high blood pressure and was taking medication for that also. I decided I no longer wanted to take the medications because I felt they were doing more damage than good. I went on a diet and lost 18 kilos. I no longer take any medication and have not felt better in my life.

Before that I had a personal trainer but it did not help as I was still eating bad foods.

I stopped eating all sugar and refined carbs. I do not eat any dairy. I eat fruits, vegetables, unsalted nuts, fish and chicken.

I will not go off this diet because either I will have all kinds of unpleasant symptoms and possibly die early; non of which I want.Before my diet I was having toe nails turning black and falling off.

I know that carbs and sugar are addictive. I can make all kinds of excuses, such as no carbs are unheatlhy etc. I needed to face reality, either cut out the carbs or die. Very simple. I still have plenty of fun and excitement in my life.

Oh, I do not drink flavored drinks or alcohol.

Sounds boring? Well, I find ways to make life more interesting. I use hot spices in my foods.

The feeling good far exceeds the pleasures of sugar or alcohol consumption.

If any one wants some support or encouragement you can contact me by private message.
Reply With Quote
The following 12 users would like to thank Focus for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 24.06.2011, 18:26
JonnyLaRock!'s Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 498
Groaned at 116 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 262 Posts
JonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond reputeJonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond reputeJonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond reputeJonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Type 2 diabetes in newly diagnosed 'can be reversed' - drastic 2 month diet.

Quote:
View Post
15 months ago I was type 2 diabetic and I was on medication. I also had high blood pressure and was taking medication for that also. I decided I no longer wanted to take the medications because I felt they were doing more damage than good. I went on a diet and lost 18 kilos. I no longer take any medication and have not felt better in my life.

Before that I had a personal trainer but it did not help as I was still eating bad foods.

I stopped eating all sugar and refined carbs. I do not eat any dairy. I eat fruits, vegetables, unsalted nuts, fish and chicken.

I will not go off this diet because either I will have all kinds of unpleasant symptoms and possibly die early; non of which I want.Before my diet I was having toe nails turning black and falling off.

I know that carbs and sugar are addictive. I can make all kinds of excuses, such as no carbs are unheatlhy etc. I needed to face reality, either cut out the carbs or die. Very simple. I still have plenty of fun and excitement in my life.

Oh, I do not drink flavored drinks or alcohol.

Sounds boring? Well, I find ways to make life more interesting. I use hot spices in my foods.

The feeling good far exceeds the pleasures of sugar or alcohol consumption.

If any one wants some support or encouragement you can contact me by private message.
Do you think these magical diet choices have helped you? Do you not think it is of more benefit to anybody in a similar situation to advise them to eat a healthy balanced diet and take reasonable amounts of light exercise, as per international medical recommendation?

Do you not think fruits are chocked full of sugar? And that complex carbohydrate actually provides the basis for your body to function during exercise? And maybe red meat has a certain amount of Iron and good proteins that are beneficial in a balanced diet?

Maybe it would be wiser to advise balance and moderation on all food products to create a balanced and healthy diet, not food fascism that completely excises certain foods and/or promotes other foods above and beyond their station.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JonnyLaRock! for this useful post:
This user groans at JonnyLaRock! for this post:
Reply

Tags
diabetes ; type 2 ;




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diabetes - English speaking dietician / advisor ? Joolie Family matters/health 42 05.09.2011 15:59
Mother diagnosed with Lupus. Peg A Family matters/health 12 28.04.2011 01:43
diabetes desert recipes Echoro Food and drink 6 29.11.2010 11:16
diabetes 2 in switzerland [English groups wanted] mim Family matters/health 1 19.05.2008 10:11


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0