Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 05.07.2011, 20:33
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,778
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Searching for Medical Advice in the EF: Common sense

The medical helpline I have with my insurance is great. I had to call it about my son last weekend, you don't speak to a nurse but a Doctor. They asked my to take photos & send them to help with the diagnosis after which the Dr I spoke to consulted with a senior Dr who verified her diagnosis. They then give advice on what to do next and can even give out prescriptions if necessary.

Quote:
View Post
My medical insurance has a 24 hour advice line (and presumably most/all of them do). Do they provide a service similar to NHS Direct or is it only related to their insurance?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Lou for this useful post:
  #42  
Old 05.07.2011, 20:35
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Penin
Posts: 3,518
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Searching for Medical Advice in the EF: Common sense

Quote:
View Post
Just be very careful what you do next time you sit in the dentist's chair then!
So there was that lady who sat down in the dentist's chair and said, "Gosh doc, I think I'd rather give birth to yet another baby than spending another night with this kind of toothache." [I heard patients say this for real, not as part of a joke, by the way]

The dentist, without hesitation, said, "Ok, make your decision so I can put the chair in the right position."
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank Captain Greybeard for this useful post:
  #43  
Old 05.07.2011, 20:37
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Searching for Medical Advice in the EF: Common sense

Quote:
View Post
The medical helpline I have with my insurance is great. I had to call it about my son last weekend, you don't speak to a nurse but a Doctor. They asked my to take photos & send them to help with the diagnosis after which the Dr I spoke to consulted with a senior Dr who verified her diagnosis. They then give advice on what to do next and can even give out prescriptions if necessary.

I have this type of insurance, but I'm hesitant to use it. I see it as a reactive care mechanism rather than a proactive care mechanism. it just seems odd to me.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05.07.2011, 20:43
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,778
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Searching for Medical Advice in the EF: Common sense

On a Sunday when you suspect that there could be something seriously wrong with your child and he could require medical care but it is not an emergency this service is invaluable. Getting a response from the helpline & a qualified Dr was quicker than the time it would have taken me to drive him the hospital or figure out which pead was on call for our area. One caveat though, it is a helpline and not a subsitute for seeing your own Dr when that is possible.

Quote:
View Post
I have this type of insurance, but I'm hesitant to use it. I see it as a reactive care mechanism rather than a proactive care mechanism. it just seems odd to me.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Lou for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 05.07.2011, 21:01
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
in the us, telephone triage lines have been used a lot with pediatrics practices. usually experienced nurses take the calls, and use fairly sophisticated algorithms to work through an issue. many peds questions can be answered by an experienced nurse, and there is always the option to contact the doctor. in the US primary care for kids under 18 is provided by pediatricians... is this different here?

triage call centers save trips to emergency, and allow physicians to concentrate on more emergent problems. lots of calls are of the non-urgent variety.

i used to be part of the the nonclinical management staff in one of these call centers, and i think they can provide a valuable service.

in switzerland, medgate is one of the call centers. a doctor calls you back, within the hour usually, and the srvice is pretty good i think. certainly if you have to decide whteher or not you need to go to emergency, this can help. and if you have an urgent but straightforward problem, perhaps an uncomplicated urinary tract infection, they can prescribe antibiotics.

i haven't quite sorted out the nurse role in switzerland.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #46  
Old 05.07.2011, 21:09
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Searching for Medical Advice in the EF: Common sense

Quote:
in the us, telephone triage lines have been used a lot with pediatrics practices. usually experienced nurses take the calls, and use fairly sophisticated algorithms to work through an issue. many peds questions can be answered by an experienced nurse, and there is always the option to contact the doctor. in the US primary care for kids under 18 is provided by pediatricians... is this different here?

triage call centers save trips to emergency, and allow physicians to concentrate on more emergent problems. lots of calls are of the non-urgent variety.

i used to be part of the the nonclinical management staff in one of these call centers, and i think they can provide a valuable service.

in switzerland, medgate is one of the call centers. a doctor calls you back, within the hour usually, and the srvice is pretty good i think. certainly if you have to decide whteher or not you need to go to emergency, this can help. and if you have an urgent but straightforward problem, perhaps an uncomplicated urinary tract infection, they can prescribe antibiotics.

i haven't quite sorted out the nurse role in switzerland.
I understand the value for reactive causes... me/my kid is/are sick with some nasty bug and just puked up a lung on the Persian rug...

but how does one use this line for something routine like "I need to get bloodwork so I can check my cholesterol and get on medication because I know it's well over 10.0 due to all of lard I've been cooking with."

It just seems a bit ludicrous to have to call the 0800 number, but it is required to get access to a doctor.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05.07.2011, 21:29
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
View Post
I understand the value for reactive causes... me/my kid is/are sick with some nasty bug and just puked up a lung on the Persian rug...

but how does one use this line for something routine like "I need to get bloodwork so I can check my cholesterol and get on medication because I know it's well over 10.0 due to all of lard I've been cooking with."

It just seems a bit ludicrous to have to call the 0800 number, but it is required to get access to a doctor.
if you have the type of insurance where it's required to "announce" an appointment...you either ask the call center to suggest a primary care doctor for a physical or whatever else you need or you find your own doc and call to tell them you've made an appointment for a check up.

i guess the other option is change your insurance.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05.07.2011, 21:58
Sky's Avatar
Sky Sky is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere special far away
Posts: 4,317
Groaned at 68 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 7,167 Times in 2,652 Posts
Sky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Searching for Medical Advice in the EF: Common sense

Excellent post Angela.

Health is a delicate subject, and you've done really well to point out it's importance (and considering all that is said on a public forum as irrelevant).
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sky for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 05.07.2011, 22:42
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Searching for Medical Advice in the EF: Common sense

So I should stop drinking milk or it will kill me, right? Damned!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #50  
Old 06.07.2011, 09:49
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,726
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,915 Times in 3,646 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Searching for Medical Advice in the EF: Common sense

Quote:
View Post
So I should stop drinking milk or it will kill me, right? Damned!
You're lucky. You have your own supply of fresh milk.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #51  
Old 06.07.2011, 09:50
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,726
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,915 Times in 3,646 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Searching for Medical Advice in the EF: Common sense

Quote:
View Post
Excellent post Angela.
(considering all that is said on a public forum as irrelevant).
I removed the excess wordage.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #52  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:13
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,693
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Searching for Medical Advice in the EF: Common sense

Angela what prompted you to write this? wasn't the teething post was it?
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:18
Niranjan
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Searching for Medical Advice in the EF: Common sense

Quote:
View Post
OMG MusicChick you took my thread completely out of context, the milk example was an example I made up! I have never read that here and if I had I would have haughed it off.
My point is that an opinion is an opinion not a scientific statement when not backed up by a source. Now, I always look for sources becaue that is my job, that is what I am good at, and I know I can be a bit intolerant when it comes to silly comments about medicine, but please read my OP first, the milk thing was an example I made up!
I think most professionals who are good at it will have a flourishing medical practice, and won't really have time to flaunt their knowledge on internet forums; the ones that tend to are more likely the ones with no practice and have free time.

Personally, I base my judgement based on posting history. If it involves health, especially kids'health, I would pay heed to a consistently sensible poster like for example Tom1234 or Longbyt (both non-specialists, but with lot of commonsense and experience with kids), than some internet doctor. So, basically I disagree with your implication that only those with specialist training should talk about health here; even medically trained ones can brain-fart. Also, suggestion that everything should be backed by a source is bollocks; you form a judgment based on several studies that so very often are conflicting, and that is subjective; it calls for tacit knowledge. If everything could be black and white, you could automate the medical profession .

Just my internet opinion, more likely wrong than right
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #54  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Searching for Medical Advice in the EF: Common sense

Quote:
View Post
Angela what prompted you to write this? wasn't the teething post was it?
Well it was mostly the ADHD thread...btw my company has decided to make EF a forbidden webpage so I am posting from my Iphone... I am addicted or what?
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:29
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Searching for Medical Advice in the EF: Common sense

Funny I also disagree with you Niranjan, as I do with many of your posts
And I find you a very opinionated person but hey thats life. BTW I know many doctors who even when having excellent practices do take the time to post their own columns and advice because they like helping people like I do. Also I was referring to medical facts when asking for a source most us scirntific people will do
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:34
Niranjan
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Searching for Medical Advice in the EF: Common sense

Quote:
View Post
Funny I also disagree with you Niranjan, as I do with many of your posts
And I find you a very opinionated person but hey thats life. BTW I know many doctors who even when having excellent practices do take the time to post their own columns and advice because they like helping people like I do. Also I was referring to medical facts when asking for a source most us scirntific people will do
Chill, no personal comments You are more than welcome to disagree though, that is what makes EF fun(ny)
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:41
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Searching for Medical Advice in the EF: Common sense

Quote:
View Post
Chill, no personal comments You are more than welcome to disagree though, that is what makes EF fun(ny)
Oh don't hide behind smilies and that passive-aggressive attitude of yours, admit what you said in that you will get more respect... I personally find people who throw a rock and then hide the hand particularly spiteful and usually sad little people. But that is of corse just an opinion
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:58
Niranjan
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Searching for Medical Advice in the EF: Common sense

Hmmm, I just noticed you have sent me some red blobbies. Now you knew well enough that I am too old to retaliate in kind, eh

Respect? Nah, don't need to earn it on an internet forum; real life is fine enough.

Now if you can please take your thread back to its topic it was indeed a worthy topic.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 06.07.2011, 11:01
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Searching for Medical Advice in the EF: Common sense

See? Passive aggressive all over. And telling about the blobbies ha that says a lot ... Welcome to my ignore list
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 06.07.2011, 11:18
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Searching for Medical Advice in the EF: Common sense

Quote:
View Post
Well it was mostly the ADHD thread...btw my company has decided to make EF a forbidden webpage so I am posting from my Iphone... I am addicted or what?
Is it because of you they did this?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorway Common sense driving in Switzerland Swissinfo Transportation/driving 57 08.06.2011 12:20
Need medical treatment advice pertin Family matters/health 18 16.11.2010 17:39
Medical advice sought on an aduki bean stuck in an ear. Guest Family matters/health 55 01.03.2010 23:01
Advice needed: Medical Malpractice? bozothedeathmachine Family matters/health 4 30.12.2008 11:54
Advice needed on how to fight unfair medical charges ccmiller Insurance 3 15.10.2007 21:34


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0