Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05.07.2011, 23:25
telandy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 2,064
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 636 Times in 379 Posts
telandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputation
7 year old marched out of the class by the scruff of his neck

I just want to have a feeling about what is right, wrong or acceptable behaviour by a Swiss first grade teacher in a Swiss school. Both of our boys have had problems after we moved to a new area and school. We have heard on several occasions and it was mentioned by another parent that the teacher has marched the child (ren) not only ours but others out of the class on several occasions when they have misbehaved in class by the grabbing them on the backs of their necks. Is this type of behaviour by the teacher in a Swiss school acceptable or are such things here tolerated? Sorry the child is 7, just wrote 6 in haste!

Last edited by telandy; 06.07.2011 at 00:00.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06.07.2011, 00:18
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 6 year old marched out of the class by the scruff of his neck

Quote:
View Post
I just want to have a feeling about what is right, wrong or acceptable behaviour by a Swiss first grade teacher in a Swiss school. Both of our boys have had problems after we moved to a new area and school. We have heard on several occasions and it was mentioned by another parent that the teacher has marched the child (ren) not only ours but others out of the class on several occasions when they have misbehaved in class by the grabbing them on the backs of their necks. Is this type of behaviour by the teacher in a Swiss school acceptable or are such things here tolerated? Sorry the child is 7, just wrote 6 in haste!
If he learnt his lesson, and no damage was done, then all is well that end's well.

Kid gloves do not work. Back to basics. No pussy-footing around.
Reply With Quote
The following 19 users would like to thank Upthehatters2008 for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 06.07.2011, 00:22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 6 year old marched out of the class by the scruff of his neck

Quote:
View Post
I just want to have a feeling about what is right, wrong or acceptable behaviour by a Swiss first grade teacher in a Swiss school. Both of our boys have had problems after we moved to a new area and school. We have heard on several occasions and it was mentioned by another parent that the teacher has marched the child (ren) not only ours but others out of the class on several occasions when they have misbehaved in class by the grabbing them on the backs of their necks. Is this type of behaviour by the teacher in a Swiss school acceptable or are such things here tolerated? Sorry the child is 7, just wrote 6 in haste!
No, I can assure you that such things are not tolerated in Swiss schools.

I find that deeply shocking, if it's true.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 06.07.2011, 09:11
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Basel
Posts: 226
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 241 Times in 107 Posts
fareehasharafat has earned the respect of manyfareehasharafat has earned the respect of manyfareehasharafat has earned the respect of many
Re: 6 year old marched out of the class by the scruff of his neck

this is not normal. you should have a meeting with the teacher and ask her what is the school policy in case child is misbehaving/ not following instructions etc.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06.07.2011, 09:16
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,768
Groaned at 419 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 18,284 Times in 5,664 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 6 year old marched out of the class by the scruff of his neck

It's hearsay. Do you have actual evidence of this?

Last edited by olygirl; 06.07.2011 at 13:47. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 06.07.2011, 09:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,894
Groaned at 97 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,932 Times in 921 Posts
Anthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 6 year old marched out of the class by the scruff of his neck

god where are the days we would get slapped on the back of the head or a slap on the fingers with a ruler (and Im only 27 so not that long ago) how times have changed imo for the worse.....
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank Anthony1406 for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 06.07.2011, 09:23
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,348
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,745 Times in 2,186 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 6 year old marched out of the class by the scruff of his neck

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Ouchboy for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 06.07.2011, 09:25
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 6 year old marched out of the class by the scruff of his neck

Im in ........
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank grumpygit for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:04
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,653
Groaned at 279 Times in 230 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 6 year old marched out of the class by the scruff of his neck

I'm not exactly a grey haired old bluffer - although the hair is going a bit George Clooney - but there was nothing wrong with this style of "discipline" when I was at school.

I missed the cane by a few years - and so the teachers made do with flicking chalk (with unerring accuracy) at those miscreants who played up in class.

Mind you, school has become all touchy feely ever since they got rid of the shiny toilet paper!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 6 year old marched out of the class by the scruff of his neck

It's not my place to tell parents how to bring up their children, but if a trained and qualified teacher is unable to manage the behaviour of the children in his class without administering physical punishment or manhandling them, then he shouldn't really be doing the job.

Consider the size and weight of a typical teacher. Now consider the size and weight of a typical first grader. The phrase 'physical intimidation' doesn't even begin to describe it. The argument that "it never did me no 'arm" is, quite frankly, reactionary bollocks. We are not living in the 19th century any more. Slavery has been abolished, we no longer send children down the pit, and dragging first graders out of classrooms by the scruffs of their necks is no longer permitted.

As Olygirl observed, this is only hearsay, but if it is true I'd have serious concerns about the competence of the teacher involved.
Reply With Quote
The following 19 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:14
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 6 year old marched out of the class by the scruff of his neck

I'm all for a bit of school discipline, but there has to be some kind of limitations. My daughter's classmate was slapped across the face by her teacher last year. The parents wrote a letter to the school board and the teacher "went on sabbatical" for a year. I'm not sure if any other measures were taken. All the girl did was say "ca fait chiant*" under her breath after getting a poor mark for her homework, unfortunately the teacher heard her

*"that really pisses me off"
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:18
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 6 year old marched out of the class by the scruff of his neck

Quote:
View Post
I'm all for a bit of school discipline, but there has to be some kind of limitations. My daughter's classmate was slapped across the face by her teacher last year. The parents wrote a letter to the school board and the teacher "went on sabbatical" for a year. I'm not sure if any other measures were taken. All the girl did was say "ca fait chiant*" under her breath after getting a poor mark for her homework, unfortunately the teacher heard her

*"that really pisses me off"
The punishment was clearly because she got it wrong - its either "ca fait chier" or "c est chiant".
She clearly deserved the slap!
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank grumpygit for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:26
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 6 year old marched out of the class by the scruff of his neck

Quote:
View Post
The punishment was clearly because she got it wrong - its either "ca fait chier" or "c est chiant".
She clearly deserved the slap!
Good point. I couldn't remember the phrase exactly, I never use it myself. I normally look the geezer in the face and shout "You're really pissing me off" in my loudest English. If you get a bit of spittle on his collar, it counts double.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:26
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,191
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,781 Times in 704 Posts
ceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 6 year old marched out of the class by the scruff of his neck

Quote:
It's not my place to tell parents how to bring up their children, but if a trained and qualified teacher is unable to manage the behaviour of the children in his class without administering physical punishment or manhandling them, then he shouldn't really be doing the job.

Consider the size and weight of a typical teacher. Now consider the size and weight of a typical first grader. The phrase 'physical intimidation' doesn't even begin to describe it. The argument that "it never did me no 'arm" is, quite frankly, reactionary bollocks. We are not living in the 19th century any more. Slavery has been abolished, we no longer send children down the pit, and dragging first graders out of classrooms by the scruffs of their necks is no longer permitted.

As Olygirl observed, this is only hearsay, but if it is true I'd have serious concerns about the competence of the teacher involved.
Sounds as though you've lived a somewhat sheltered life DB.
My daughter, a primary school teacher in a deprived part of south London was quite seriously hurt by a weapon-wielding five-year-old. and there were another 29 of the little bl*****s causing mayhem while all this was going on.
Teachers in the UK aren't allowed to touch the little tykes, even in self-defence.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank ceppych for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:32
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 6 year old marched out of the class by the scruff of his neck

Quote:
View Post
Good point. I couldn't remember the phrase exactly, I never use it myself. I normally look the geezer in the face and shout "You're really pissing me off" in my loudest English. If you get a bit of spittle on his collar, it counts double.
I've long been planning to learn to swear in Ancient Islandic or Cherokeese or X'hi-N'babobble so people don't know what I'm saying but still get the gist.

Nowadays people mostly don't get what I'm saying but that's mostly because I talk too fast.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:35
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 6 year old marched out of the class by the scruff of his neck

son of a donkey = ఒక గాడిద కొడుకు or
Oka gāḍida koḍuku
in ?????
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank grumpygit for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:35
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 6 year old marched out of the class by the scruff of his neck

Quote:
View Post
Sounds as though you've lived a somewhat sheltered life DB.
My daughter, a primary school teacher in a deprived part of south London was quite seriously hurt by a weapon-wielding five-year-old. and there were another 29 of the little bl*****s causing mayhem while all this was going on.
Teachers in the UK aren't allowed to touch the little tykes, even in self-defence.
Yes, all this thanks to that Habeas Corpus thing and the dreaded Magner Carter. If only mad King George had kept his barons under control we wouldn't have to put up with it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:47
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,158
Groaned at 309 Times in 265 Posts
Thanked 23,432 Times in 9,530 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 6 year old marched out of the class by the scruff of his neck

Marching a misbehaving child out of class, and not given them the option to do otherwise sounds to me like acceptable restraint, so long as pain is not being inflicted.

Slapping a child on the face is common assault.

Quote:
View Post
Yes, all this thanks to that Habeas Corpus thing and the dreaded Magner Carter. If only mad King George had kept his barons under control we wouldn't have to put up with it.
I think you weren't paying attention in history class!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:52
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 6 year old marched out of the class by the scruff of his neck

Quote:
View Post
Sounds as though you've lived a somewhat sheltered life DB.
If you say so.

This thread isn't about me and my life, though, so shall we stick to the matter in hand?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06.07.2011, 10:53
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,231
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 6 year old marched out of the class by the scruff of his neck

Quote:
View Post
Mind you, school has become all touchy feely ever since they got rid of the shiny toilet paper!






Oh! You mean tracing paper!



Quote:
We are not living in the 19th century any more.
Indeed, and standards have been in decline ever since...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
first grade, swiss schools, teacher




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Collar neck muscle pain remedy? UKpassport Family matters/health 35 06.04.2015 04:01
Hernia in the neck mimi1981 Family matters/health 7 18.11.2010 14:58
how do you compare year 1 in the British system & 1st class of primary in Switzerland olympe Family matters/health 11 11.04.2010 11:16
Back/neck doctor needed in Zurich TheForeignField Family matters/health 0 10.02.2010 11:22
a final thursday night ride in my neck of the woods? PTKate Social events 17 22.04.2009 22:26


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0