Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06.07.2011, 14:46
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Basel, Switzerland
Posts: 102
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Lil'Angel has made some interesting contributions
Girl Guides Group!!

Can anyone help please??
I am moving to Reinach with my 9 year old daughter in 20 days time and am looking to try and get her enroled in a girl guide/scout group. I have no idea how i go about doing this or even where i start to find out.

I have emailed the WAGGGS to get some help, but just hoped that someone may be able to point me the right direction.

Thanks, Sarah x
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06.07.2011, 14:57
prof. taratonga's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zürich & Bignasco
Posts: 2,310
Groaned at 27 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 4,546 Times in 1,441 Posts
prof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Girl Guides Group!!

The scouts are called Pfadi as far as I know:

http://www.pfadirynach.ch/Pfadi_Ryna...illkommen.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank prof. taratonga for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 06.07.2011, 16:42
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,033
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1,309 Times in 653 Posts
irish_temptation has a reputation beyond reputeirish_temptation has a reputation beyond reputeirish_temptation has a reputation beyond reputeirish_temptation has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Girl Guides Group!!

That's right. Scout is called Pfadi in Swiss German (Pfadfinder is the proper German name). Given her age she would be looking for "Bienli's" which is the Swiss German name for cub scout. Usually they have a group specifically for girls but that depends on the size of the village. Please be aware that scouts are run by youths (15 years and older) here in Switzerland as opposed to adults in the US / UK. Nevertheless they had training and know what they do (I used to lead girl scouts for several years, I know).

More information can be found here http://www5.scout.ch/en?set_language=en

All the best for the move.

Allzeit bereit (Be prepared)
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank irish_temptation for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 06.07.2011, 16:44
wattsli1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Basel Land
Posts: 730
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 943 Times in 338 Posts
wattsli1 has a reputation beyond reputewattsli1 has a reputation beyond reputewattsli1 has a reputation beyond reputewattsli1 has a reputation beyond reputewattsli1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Girl Guides Group!!

Will she be at the International school? Because I know the ISB have their own "American" scouting group although I have no idea about girl guides. It's only open for kids that attend there though I think.

Edit to add: OK, I looked it up and the ISB has a Girl scouts group too but I do believe it's only open to students there. You could contact them though, maybe they can help as they must have connections with the rest of the community. Just go to the ISB website http://www.isbasel.ch and search for "scouts" and it'll come up.

Last edited by wattsli1; 06.07.2011 at 16:57.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank wattsli1 for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 06.07.2011, 16:52
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rheinfelden AG
Posts: 245
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 154 Times in 93 Posts
noella has made some interesting contributions
Re: Girl Guides Group!!

There is a Brownies/ Girl Guide group at the ISB, you do not have to go to school there to attend as my girls went there a couple of years ago.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank noella for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 06.07.2011, 16:56
wattsli1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Basel Land
Posts: 730
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 943 Times in 338 Posts
wattsli1 has a reputation beyond reputewattsli1 has a reputation beyond reputewattsli1 has a reputation beyond reputewattsli1 has a reputation beyond reputewattsli1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Girl Guides Group!!

Quote:
View Post
There is a Brownies/ Girl Guide group at the ISB, you do not have to go to school there to attend as my girls went there a couple of years ago.
Thanks for putting me straight on that.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07.07.2011, 19:10
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Basel, Switzerland
Posts: 102
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Lil'Angel has made some interesting contributions
Re: Girl Guides Group!!

Quote:
View Post
That's right. Scout is called Pfadi in Swiss German (Pfadfinder is the proper German name). Given her age she would be looking for "Bienli's" which is the Swiss German name for cub scout. Usually they have a group specifically for girls but that depends on the size of the village. Please be aware that scouts are run by youths (15 years and older) here in Switzerland as opposed to adults in the US / UK. Nevertheless they had training and know what they do (I used to lead girl scouts for several years, I know).

More information can be found here http://www5.scout.ch/en?set_language=en

All the best for the move.

Allzeit bereit (Be prepared)

Wow, thank you so much for your help and advice. Thank you x
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07.07.2011, 19:14
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Basel, Switzerland
Posts: 102
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Lil'Angel has made some interesting contributions
Re: Girl Guides Group!!

Quote:
View Post
Will she be at the International school? Because I know the ISB have their own "American" scouting group although I have no idea about girl guides. It's only open for kids that attend there though I think.

Edit to add: OK, I looked it up and the ISB has a Girl scouts group too but I do believe it's only open to students there. You could contact them though, maybe they can help as they must have connections with the rest of the community. Just go to the ISB website http://www.isbasel.ch and search for "scouts" and it'll come up.

Hiya, Thank you so much for all your help. Our daughter isnt going to the ISB, we did look around it and found out loads of info but like you said its onl open to children that attend the school and as we have decided due to finances not to put her through the ISB i wanted to try and find another option.
Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it very much. Sarah x
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07.07.2011, 19:15
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Basel, Switzerland
Posts: 102
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Lil'Angel has made some interesting contributions
Re: Girl Guides Group!!

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for putting me straight on that.

Oh wow!! thats different to what i was told when we looked around the school. I shall now investigate further. Thank you for your help..Sarah x
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07.07.2011, 19:28
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oberwil
Posts: 81
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 72 Times in 23 Posts
Claire6966 has an excellent reputationClaire6966 has an excellent reputationClaire6966 has an excellent reputationClaire6966 has an excellent reputation
Re: Girl Guides Group!!

Quote:
View Post
Can anyone help please??
I am moving to Reinach with my 9 year old daughter in 20 days time and am looking to try and get her enroled in a girl guide/scout group. I have no idea how i go about doing this or even where i start to find out.

I have emailed the WAGGGS to get some help, but just hoped that someone may be able to point me the right direction.

Thanks, Sarah x
Hi Sarah

Just to confirm that the American Girl Scouts of Basel who are based at ISB at the Aesch site (Junior part of the school) is definitely open to girls who do not attend ISB - 2 of my 3 go there and they are at local schools in Oberwil. If you PM me I can send you the e-mail contact details for the main leader of the Group who will be able to let you know details of meetings (Wednesday afternoons) and availability of spaces within the different sections - I think that at age 9 your daughter would be part of the 'Juniors' section.

I have to say that we have only been going since Feb (moved here in January) but my 2 love it - particularly as it is in English which gives them a break from speaking German all day at school!

Claire
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Claire6966 for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
off-piste snowboard guides Dr Alex Travel/day trips/free time 0 13.06.2010 11:53
Sewing machine books/guides (ZH area) Guest Other/general 0 16.03.2010 09:12
National cycling route guides Slogfester Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 2 15.05.2008 22:42
Resources: comprehensive town guides George Other/general 3 22.05.2005 22:24


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0