Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25.07.2011, 15:31
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Mid life eye check up (English Speaking / Zurich)

So denial is over, I am presbyopic, diagnosed 2 years ago in England, I ignored the Optometrist, mainly due to many things happening in my life including a move to Zurich.

I would now like to go for a through eye examination, with a view to looking for Glaucoma, eye pressure , cataracts etc etc and getting my prescription for bi-focals.

Can anyone recommend (trying to avoid the likes of Visilab etc) an English speaking Optometrist nearer to Zurich 8008 who is also capable of performing a decent eye examination ?

Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25.07.2011, 15:38
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mid life eye check up (English Speaking / Zurich)

I've been here for treatment for a persistent eye infection and she said she'd check me up for glaucoma once I pass 40 (it runs in our family).

The practice is really nice and the staff are pleasant (except the tear duct rinsing but no-one could make that pleasant!)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 26.07.2011, 14:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 11,249
Groaned at 37 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 26,732 Times in 8,253 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mid life eye check up (English Speaking / Zurich)

UTH, it sounds like you should see an Augenarzt rather than an optometrist. I know you said ZH, but if you are anywheres near the bottom end of the lake I can recommend Dr. Frei in Pfäffikon SZ:

http://www.augenarzt-praxis.ch/

Excellent English. Very thorough. He is much in demand so it can be a wait for an initial routine appointment - but if there is urgency they will try to squeeze you in quickly, just describe your symptoms when making an appointment.


Oops - just saw the 8008 - no where near you, sorry. But I'll leave this here in case anyone in the area needs an Augenarzt.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 26.07.2011, 14:50
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 2,358
Groaned at 24 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,164 Posts
biff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mid life eye check up (English Speaking / Zurich)

Quote:
The practice is really nice and the staff are pleasant (except the tear duct rinsing but no-one could make that pleasant!)
What is tearduct rinsing and why is it done?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26.07.2011, 15:05
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mid life eye check up (English Speaking / Zurich)

Quote:
View Post
UTH, it sounds like you should see an Augenarzt rather than an optometrist. I know you said ZH, but if you are anywheres near the bottom end of the lake I can recommend Dr. Frei in Pfäffikon SZ:

http://www.augenarzt-praxis.ch/

Excellent English. Very thorough. He is much in demand so it can be a wait for an initial routine appointment - but if there is urgency they will try to squeeze you in quickly, just describe your symptoms when making an appointment.


Oops - just saw the 8008 - no where near you, sorry. But I'll leave this here in case anyone in the area needs an Augenarzt.
Thanks - I agree.
Sandgrounders link is actually to an Augenartz. I have an appointment for Thursday.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Upthehatters2008 for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 26.07.2011, 15:06
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mid life eye check up (English Speaking / Zurich)

Quote:
View Post
Thanks - I agree.
Sandgrounders link is actually to an Augenartz. I have an appointment for Thursday.
Good luck, hope it all goes well.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 26.07.2011, 15:15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mid life eye check up (English Speaking / Zurich)

Quote:
View Post
What is tearduct rinsing and why is it done?
Don't read on if squeamish...






The tear duct is flushed with saline by inserting a long hollow needle into the tear duct opening and squirting slowly through. It felt like she was passing the needle down to my ankles but, in reality it probably only went in a centimetre or two.

The saline running down into the back of the throat completes the "Ewwww!" factor.

I had constantly runny eyes and she was making sure there was no blockage in the duct.

*SHUDDERS*
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 26.07.2011, 15:17
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mid life eye check up (English Speaking / Zurich)

Quote:
Don't read on if squeamish...






The tear duct is flushed with saline by inserting a long hollow needle into the tear duct opening and squirting slowly through. It felt like she was passing the needle down to my ankles but, in reality it probably only went in a centimetre or two.

The saline running down into the back of the throat completes the "Ewwww!" factor.

I had constantly runny eyes and she was making sure there was no blockage in the duct.

*SHUDDERS*

Do they suggest this is done as a matter of practice or more specific to your condition ?

I feel faint.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26.07.2011, 15:22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mid life eye check up (English Speaking / Zurich)

Quote:
View Post
Do they suggest this is done as a matter of practice or more specific to your condition ?

I feel faint.
I'd had constantly runny eyes and had tried treatments for conjunctivitis including drops, bathing with black tea, warm compresses, etc., which didn't work.

My eye wasn't damaged, I'm not allergic to anything and there were no obvious signs so she flushed the tear ducts to make sure.

I'm pretty sure it's not a first line of treatment.

Having said that, it worked a treat - a few minutes of "Ewww!" followed by comfy eyes thereafter.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08.08.2011, 17:11
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mid life eye check up (English Speaking / Zurich)

OK, some feedback.

I went to Omma as Sandgrounder suggested. Very polite, friendly and professional. They did a variety of tests over 45 minutes and concurred with the earlier diagnosis of Presbyopia. I took my prescription away, around the corner to "Linsen am Stadelhofen" who measured me for frames. I decided on a pair for reading and a pair for normal daily usage. Progressives/Bi-Focals were considered overkill by Omma. The lady at Linsen was polite, friendly and very professional. (and sexy, but that's another story).

1890CHF later for two pairs, reading glasses in a Rayban Frame, and my daily pair (transition lenses) in a style slightly more modern than my last pair. I didn't expect new glasses to make my eyes water, but hey, excellent service and an excellent solution does not come cheap in Zurich. I am tickled pink at my new reading glasses, the difference just blows me away, even the smallest print is read with ease.

So there ya go , thumbs up for Omma and Linsen and Sangrounder.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Upthehatters2008 for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 08.08.2011, 17:19
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,232
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mid life eye check up (English Speaking / Zurich)

Mate, when I saw the fancy term Presbyopia, I thought it was serious. Turns out you, like the rest of us, are just getting old...
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 08.08.2011, 17:23
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mid life eye check up (English Speaking / Zurich)

Quote:
View Post
Mate, when I saw the fancy term Presbyopia, I thought it was serious. Turns out you, like the rest of us, are just getting old...
Yes, that I can accept. Having some other premature eye disease/fault was worrying me pre-diagnosis for a while. For once I was happy be labelled "getting old"
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Upthehatters2008 for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 08.08.2011, 17:23
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mid life eye check up (English Speaking / Zurich)

Quote:
View Post
OK, some feedback.

I went to Omma as Sandgrounder suggested. Very polite, friendly and professional. They did a variety of tests over 45 minutes and concurred with the earlier diagnosis of Presbyopia. I took my prescription away, around the corner to "Linsen am Stadelhofen" who measured me for frames. I decided on a pair for reading and a pair for normal daily usage. Progressives/Bi-Focals were considered overkill by Omma. The lady at Linsen was polite, friendly and very professional. (and sexy, but that's another story).

1890CHF later for two pairs, reading glasses in a Rayban Frame, and my daily pair (transition lenses) in a style slightly more modern than my last pair. I didn't expect new glasses to make my eyes water, but hey, excellent service and an excellent solution does not come cheap in Zurich. I am tickled pink at my new reading glasses, the difference just blows me away, even the smallest print is read with ease.

So there ya go , thumbs up for Omma and Linsen and Sangrounder.

Glad things sound like they worked out alright!

I'm curious about the "eyes water" bit, although reading on it sounds like you are referring to cost, or am I imagining that bit? (If it has been a while since last updated pair, it may take some adjustment for the new script.)



Also, in my experience it is common practice for the optician to retain the / an original copy of the eyeglass prescription -- if you travel at all, it is a good idea to ask the prescribing doctor for an additional copy to keep with you.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Peg A for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 08.08.2011, 17:28
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mid life eye check up (English Speaking / Zurich)

Quote:
View Post
Glad things sound like they worked out alright!

I'm curious about the "eyes water" bit, although reading on it sounds like you are referring to cost, or am I imagining that bit? (If it has been a while since last updated pair, it may take some adjustment for the new script.)



Also, in my experience it is common practice for the optician to retain the / an original copy of the eyeglass prescription -- if you travel at all, it is a good idea to ask the prescribing doctor for an additional copy to keep with you.
Thanks, yes, eyewatering referred to the shock at the bill. They were kind enough to give me insurance invoices and a copy of the prescription. My old pair is now a usable travelling spare pair.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08.08.2011, 17:45
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,473
Groaned at 578 Times in 453 Posts
Thanked 24,631 Times in 9,919 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mid life eye check up (English Speaking / Zurich)

Quote:
View Post
Thanks, yes, eyewatering referred to the shock at the bill. They were kind enough to give me insurance invoices and a copy of the prescription. My old pair is now a usable travelling spare pair.
Lots of insurance companies stopped paying out for spectacles last year.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08.08.2011, 17:46
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mid life eye check up (English Speaking / Zurich)

For those with an iPad and an iPhone, there is a great free app that pairs them together to perform tests I did recently. It's called Vision test by 3 Sided Cube Design. It pairs both up using Bluetooth and you place the iPad 3m away, you press a letter on the iPhone to indicate what you see on the iPad, it does 5 basic tests. Standalone the app does tests for Visual accuity, Astigmatism, Duochrome and colour. It spotted the same weaknesses that my optician did.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08.08.2011, 17:49
cricketer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: near zurich
Posts: 1,196
Groaned at 29 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,051 Times in 427 Posts
cricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mid life eye check up (English Speaking / Zurich)

Jesus!!!
1890chf for 2 pairs. That´s made my eyes water too!!



Quote:
View Post
OK, some feedback.

I went to Omma as Sandgrounder suggested. Very polite, friendly and professional. They did a variety of tests over 45 minutes and concurred with the earlier diagnosis of Presbyopia. I took my prescription away, around the corner to "Linsen am Stadelhofen" who measured me for frames. I decided on a pair for reading and a pair for normal daily usage. Progressives/Bi-Focals were considered overkill by Omma. The lady at Linsen was polite, friendly and very professional. (and sexy, but that's another story).

1890CHF later for two pairs, reading glasses in a Rayban Frame, and my daily pair (transition lenses) in a style slightly more modern than my last pair. I didn't expect new glasses to make my eyes water, but hey, excellent service and an excellent solution does not come cheap in Zurich. I am tickled pink at my new reading glasses, the difference just blows me away, even the smallest print is read with ease.

So there ya go , thumbs up for Omma and Linsen and Sangrounder.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08.08.2011, 17:51
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mid life eye check up (English Speaking / Zurich)

Quote:
View Post
Yes, that I can accept. Having some other premature eye disease/fault was worrying me pre-diagnosis for a while. For once I was happy be labelled "getting old"
There are few things in life more wonderful than receiving a negative or benign diagnosis when you were expecting something a little bit worse.

Congratulations on merely being an old git!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 08.08.2011, 18:01
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mid life eye check up (English Speaking / Zurich)

Quote:
View Post
Lots of insurance companies stopped paying out for spectacles last year.
My Sanitas policy will throw 300 back at me. Softens the blow a bit.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Upthehatters2008 for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 08.08.2011, 18:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mid life eye check up (English Speaking / Zurich)

Quote:
View Post
Thanks, yes, eyewatering referred to the shock at the bill. They were kind enough to give me insurance invoices and a copy of the prescription. My old pair is now a usable travelling spare pair.
Don't mention that to the ophthalmologist - she'll be getting out the tear-duct rinsing torture machine to fix it...

Glad it all turned out well and you're back to eagle-eyed status...
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Separation- Mid Life crises? Guest Family matters/health 116 26.08.2010 14:20
Is there any english-speaking life in Bern? Alessia Daily life 4 14.08.2008 16:57
English-speaking stand-up comedy night Paris Wolf Commercial events 3 31.08.2007 12:58
English-speaking stand-up comedy night Paris Wolf Commercial events 0 16.08.2007 22:15
3-wheeler - must be a mid-life crisis ossian Transportation/driving 14 21.02.2007 12:09


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0