Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13.03.2013, 21:24
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Basel
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
lauragall has no particular reputation at present
Day Care in Basel

Hi,

My husband and I are moving to Basel next month and have been looking into day cares for our three year old son. We have narrowed our selection down to two, Little Foot and Susanna's. Has anyone got any feedback (positive or negative) on either.

Cheers,

Laura
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 19.03.2013, 15:50
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Basel
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Daiquiri has no particular reputation at present
Re: Day Care in Basel

Hi Laura,

I haven't quite moved to Basel and I have just joined the forum today. We are about to from the UK and I have been assessing day care options myself from over here and through recommendations from colleagues at my husbands work. My impression through email correspondence is that Susanne's International is very good. The other one I have heard about is The Bilingual Kids academy (the site at Gellerstrasse). The latter is gorgeous (a green leafy villa) with a waiting list. Susanne's has availability and is close to down town. I have heard about Kids Zone too (but haven't enquired yet). It is bilingual and also down town.

I hope that is helpful.
T
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 19.03.2013, 20:21
Meeyat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 680
Groaned at 18 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 874 Times in 349 Posts
Meeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Day Care in Basel

Quote:
View Post
impression through email correspondence is that Susanne's International is very good.
yes, this is the impression through email. However, the real-life is different. I was seriously disappointed with Susanna's daycare, though it may fit some parents. They are open every day. until 18h, and they make sure all the kids are having plenty to eat. The fact that they rarely take kids out to play (?!) and that they give them not-so-healthy food on a daily basis (sugar, sweets) is negative. What I disliked the most is the fact that there is no real experience in developing kids skills through play (playing sports outside, playing inside, scissors, cutting, gluing and painting for small motoric skills, creative play was all missing). Guidance in developing social skills with children was extremely disappointing.

Long story short - was very disappointed. Removed my kid from it after 3 painful months, and put it elsewhere, which was logistically much harder. Having happy kid going there and enjoying its time there was of course worth it. Definitely one of the best decisions I ever made, despite the logistical challenges.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 19.03.2013, 20:47
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Basel
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Daiquiri has no particular reputation at present
Re: Day Care in Basel

Yikes, thanks for letting me know ......so the BKA then......

Many thanks,
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 19.03.2013, 23:09
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Basel
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
lauragall has no particular reputation at present
Re: Day Care in Basel

Thanks for the posts. Very interesting review about Susanna's. We did visit both and will probably chose little foot now as we were impressed with it and the kids seem to go out quite a lot.

Daiquiri, we move at the end of April from the UK (although originally from Ireland) so maybe we could meet up. My husband is starting a job with Novartis and I am taking a year off as my second baby is due 5th June.

Hope your move goes well.

Thanks again to you both.
Cheers,
Laura
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 19.03.2013, 23:37
Meeyat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 680
Groaned at 18 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 874 Times in 349 Posts
Meeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Day Care in Basel

I would strongly recommend to spend a morning, or two in the daycare of your choice. That way you can see how your kid is reacting to the environment, and also how is the staff there. Do not forget that staff is the most important component of any daycare.
An experienced, motivated teacher that is properly educated and enthusiastic about kids and their well-being is making a world of difference.

No amount of web-site pictures and email responses can explain how skilled and motivated teachers are; yet in one or two days of observation you can get a very good understanding of their methodology, games they play with kids, arts & crafts they do, etc.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Meeyat for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 20.03.2013, 00:07
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Basel
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Daiquiri has no particular reputation at present
Re: Day Care in Basel

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the posts. Very interesting review about Susanna's. We did visit both and will probably chose little foot now as we were impressed with it and the kids seem to go out quite a lot.

Daiquiri, we move at the end of April from the UK (although originally from Ireland) so maybe we could meet up. My husband is starting a job with Novartis and I am taking a year off as my second baby is due 5th June.

Hope your move goes well.

Thanks again to you both.
Cheers,
Laura
Laura meeting up is a great idea. Let's do that! I can be reached I guess through the forum (I only just joined and so haven't worked it all out) and on taniamkelly@gmail.com We arrive around the same time. Fab!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25.03.2013, 19:17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Basel
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Virg_Basel has no particular reputation at present
Re: Day Care in Basel

My family is also moving to Basel In September and I would really appreciate having info on English-speaking daycares. My oldest is 3 and my youngest 1. We will probably live in France so daycares in that directions would be ideal. Thank you for your help,
Virginie
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12.07.2013, 00:25
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Basel
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SLisboa has no particular reputation at present
Re: Day Care in Basel

Hi,

I was reading the forum looking for Music lessons for my kids and bumped into this comment and could not avoid commenting!
I have 3 girls (7,4 and 2yrs old) and they all went to Susanna's International Kindergarten during the last 4 years. The baby is still going there and I could not be more satisfied with it, I have recommended it to all new comers that have asked me about Daycares!

food is very healty, good habits, lots of kids' art being brought home and going out for walks nearly everyday (even with snow, whih is pretty stange for someone raised in Portugal )

Could not diagree more with this post and truly feel it does not correspond to the realty in Susanna's kindergarten!

Quote:
View Post
yes, this is the impression through email. However, the real-life is different. I was seriously disappointed with Susanna's daycare, though it may fit some parents. They are open every day. until 18h, and they make sure all the kids are having plenty to eat. The fact that they rarely take kids out to play (?!) and that they give them not-so-healthy food on a daily basis (sugar, sweets) is negative. What I disliked the most is the fact that there is no real experience in developing kids skills through play (playing sports outside, playing inside, scissors, cutting, gluing and painting for small motoric skills, creative play was all missing). Guidance in developing social skills with children was extremely disappointing.

Long story short - was very disappointed. Removed my kid from it after 3 painful months, and put it elsewhere, which was logistically much harder. Having happy kid going there and enjoying its time there was of course worth it. Definitely one of the best decisions I ever made, despite the logistical challenges.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12.07.2013, 10:31
mimi1981's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Basel/Alsace
Posts: 3,789
Groaned at 21 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 5,774 Times in 2,171 Posts
mimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Day Care in Basel

Quote:
View Post
yes, this is the impression through email. However, the real-life is different. I was seriously disappointed with Susanna's daycare, though it may fit some parents. They are open every day. until 18h, and they make sure all the kids are having plenty to eat. The fact that they rarely take kids out to play (?!) and that they give them not-so-healthy food on a daily basis (sugar, sweets) is negative. What I disliked the most is the fact that there is no real experience in developing kids skills through play (playing sports outside, playing inside, scissors, cutting, gluing and painting for small motoric skills, creative play was all missing). Guidance in developing social skills with children was extremely disappointing.

Long story short - was very disappointed. Removed my kid from it after 3 painful months, and put it elsewhere, which was logistically much harder. Having happy kid going there and enjoying its time there was of course worth it. Definitely one of the best decisions I ever made, despite the logistical challenges.
Quote:
View Post
Hi,

I was reading the forum looking for Music lessons for my kids and bumped into this comment and could not avoid commenting!
I have 3 girls (7,4 and 2yrs old) and they all went to Susanna's International Kindergarten during the last 4 years. The baby is still going there and I could not be more satisfied with it, I have recommended it to all new comers that have asked me about Daycares!

food is very healty, good habits, lots of kids' art being brought home and going out for walks nearly everyday (even with snow, whih is pretty stange for someone raised in Portugal )

Could not diagree more with this post and truly feel it does not correspond to the realty in Susanna's kindergarten!
I feel the same. My little one has been at Susanna's since she was 5 months old. In my opinion they feed the kids varied and healthy food (some of which I can never get her to eat at home), take them out to play frequently, do excursions to the zoo/circus/park and the amount of arts and crafts they do means I need an extra room in my apartment just to store all of the stuff she makes.

On top of that, I find Susanna and her husband to be extremely helpful, to the point where they have helped me fill out forms in German to apply for assistance in daycare costs when I was a single mother.

My daughter loves it there and has great relationships with the assistants and other children.

I really can't fault them.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 19.05.2016, 03:33
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Basel
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
abuska has no particular reputation at present
Re: Day Care in Basel

What is the current status? What is the minimum number of days they take in?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Day Care in Basel Mischa Family matters/health 1 02.12.2013 17:37
SUBSIDIZED day care space in ZH city - which day care? Naila Family matters/health 4 04.07.2011 11:55
Day Care Seeburg Luzern is looking for a day care worker Shirley van Wijlen Jobs offered 0 26.05.2010 07:34
Day care in Basel melissa_newz Family matters/health 5 28.09.2009 14:06
WANTED: [Basel/Lörrach] Day care for baby, 1 day per week Dodger Jobs wanted 2 25.07.2009 22:07


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0