Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 09.10.2017, 18:52
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: La Côte
Posts: 666
Groaned at 19 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 585 Times in 268 Posts
Marsalforn has an excellent reputationMarsalforn has an excellent reputationMarsalforn has an excellent reputationMarsalforn has an excellent reputation
Re: Are you vaccinated against measles?

Although monovaccines were available in the past, today in Switzerland only the triple vaccine is available. Source: infovac.ch
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 09.10.2017, 21:45
TheSpouse's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,576
Groaned at 22 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,571 Times in 835 Posts
TheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are you vaccinated against measles?

Just for general information, a 45-year-old British guy was diagnosed in my husband's office last week with whooping cough\pertussis\cocheluche. The Swiss National Health people got involved and sent a warning to everyone in the office that they had been exposed and warned them that their vaccines were way, way out of date and to be aware that they had been exposed.

DPT vaccines are one of those that are probably not effective after the age of 20 or so, but the chances of being exposed are so slim in Western countries that we never think about being re-vaccinated. Exposure is rare, but it does happen, even in Switzerland. Hubs appears to be fine, BTW, but I'm still listening to his breathing at night while he is sleeping.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank TheSpouse for this useful post:
  #123  
Old 10.10.2017, 02:43
Mrs. Doolittle's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 5,847
Groaned at 157 Times in 109 Posts
Thanked 6,775 Times in 3,208 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are you vaccinated against measles?

Quote:
View Post
Just for general information, a 45-year-old British guy was diagnosed in my husband's office last week with whooping cough\pertussis\cocheluche. The Swiss National Health people got involved and sent a warning to everyone in the office that they had been exposed and warned them that their vaccines were way, way out of date and to be aware that they had been exposed.

DPT vaccines are one of those that are probably not effective after the age of 20 or so, but the chances of being exposed are so slim in Western countries that we never think about being re-vaccinated. Exposure is rare, but it does happen, even in Switzerland. Hubs appears to be fine, BTW, but I'm still listening to his breathing at night while he is sleeping.
For those who travel to countries where exposure to diseases not generally found here is a possibility, it makes sense to be vaccinated.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 10.10.2017, 07:53
Mélusine's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lutry
Posts: 3,653
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 4,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are you vaccinated against measles?

Quote:
View Post
Just for general information, a 45-year-old British guy was diagnosed in my husband's office last week with whooping cough\pertussis\cocheluche. The Swiss National Health people got involved and sent a warning to everyone in the office that they had been exposed and warned them that their vaccines were way, way out of date and to be aware that they had been exposed.

DPT vaccines are one of those that are probably not effective after the age of 20 or so, but the chances of being exposed are so slim in Western countries that we never think about being re-vaccinated. Exposure is rare, but it does happen, even in Switzerland. Hubs appears to be fine, BTW, but I'm still listening to his breathing at night while he is sleeping.
Whooping cough is actually on the rise in CH, and not rare at all anymore. It’s made worse by the fact that most adults never get a booster and aren’t protected anymore.

Whooping cough can be very dangerous and even fatal in young children and babies too young to get the vaccine. The booster is now highly recommended for all new mothers and their family. I got mine in the last trimester of my last pregnancy three years ago
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Mélusine for this useful post:
  #125  
Old 10.10.2017, 07:56
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 2,832
Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 4,188 Times in 1,711 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are you vaccinated against measles?

Quote:
View Post

Whooping cough can be very dangerous and even fatal in young children and babies too young to get the vaccine. The booster is now highly recommended for all new mothers and their family. I got mine in the last trimester of my last pregnancy three years ago
Me too. It's now part of the standard vacs offered to pregnant women in the UK.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 10.10.2017, 08:32
gbn's Avatar
gbn gbn is online now
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Zuri Oberland
Posts: 2,616
Groaned at 104 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,010 Posts
gbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are you vaccinated against measles?

Quote:
View Post
...but the chances of being exposed are so slim in Western countries that we never think about being re-vaccinated....
1. We are losing "Herd immunity" because of anti-vaxxers.
2. The chance of exposure are increasing because of anti-vaxxers.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank gbn for this useful post:
  #127  
Old 10.10.2017, 10:46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 384
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 305 Times in 173 Posts
mgosia has an excellent reputationmgosia has an excellent reputationmgosia has an excellent reputationmgosia has an excellent reputation
Re: Are you vaccinated against measles?

Recently they have started to screen pregnant women for measels immunity - this is when I found I am NOT immune even though I had 1 dose of single measles vaccine & 1 dose of MMR that are documented. It is possible that one of these doses was bad (I have to wait for a booster until the baby is out as measles vaccination is not recommended during pregnancy) or that I am one of those non-responders who therefore depends on herd immunity! So please vaccinate!!!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank mgosia for this useful post:
  #128  
Old 10.10.2017, 11:42
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 4,430
Groaned at 111 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 7,323 Times in 2,729 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are you vaccinated against measles?

Quote:
View Post
1. We are losing "Herd immunity" because of anti-vaxxers.
2. The chance of exposure are increasing because of anti-vaxxers.
I have wondered from time to time if the anti-vaxxers are not on the right track and if the species as a whole would not benefit from less people vaccinating, sort of cull the herd to a more environmentally friendly level so to speak.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 10.10.2017, 11:48
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 11,498
Groaned at 105 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 19,925 Times in 7,649 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are you vaccinated against measles?

Quote:
View Post
I have wondered from time to time if the anti-vaxxers are not on the right track and if the species as a whole would not benefit from less people vaccinating, sort of cull the herd to a more environmentally friendly level so to speak.
The problem then is that people who can't vaccinate (very young babies, for example) have to suffer for others' willful stupidity.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 10.10.2017, 11:52
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 10,179
Groaned at 153 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 14,294 Times in 5,796 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are you vaccinated against measles?

Quote:
View Post
I have wondered from time to time if the anti-vaxxers are not on the right track and if the species as a whole would not benefit from less people vaccinating, sort of cull the herd to a more environmentally friendly level so to speak.
This would be ok, so long as we could ensure that only anti-vaxxers were winnowed out.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #131  
Old 10.10.2017, 11:53
gbn's Avatar
gbn gbn is online now
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Zuri Oberland
Posts: 2,616
Groaned at 104 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,010 Posts
gbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are you vaccinated against measles?

Quote:
View Post
I have wondered from time to time if the anti-vaxxers are not on the right track and if the species as a whole would not benefit from less people vaccinating, sort of cull the herd to a more environmentally friendly level so to speak.
I dunno, population is increasing even where there is minimal takeup of vaccines (Pakistan, Africa etc).

As a culling mechanism it is remarkably inefficient.

In addition, there are costs incurred for the medical care of the afflicted individuals. We'd also need to just let them die, or euthanase them.

But hey, these problems are a gazillion miles away from Silicon Valley...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank gbn for this useful post:
  #132  
Old 10.10.2017, 11:56
gbn's Avatar
gbn gbn is online now
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Zuri Oberland
Posts: 2,616
Groaned at 104 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,010 Posts
gbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are you vaccinated against measles?

Quote:
View Post
This would be ok, so long as we could ensure that only anti-vaxxers were winnowed out.
Which is a bit of a bugger.

The vaccination does not always "take" (right word?), nd some folk can't be vaccinated for medical reasons. So these unlucky individuals benefit from herd immunity.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 10.10.2017, 14:14
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 4,430
Groaned at 111 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 7,323 Times in 2,729 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are you vaccinated against measles?

Quote:
View Post
I dunno, population is increasing even where there is minimal takeup of vaccines (Pakistan, Africa etc).

As a culling mechanism it is remarkably inefficient.

In addition, there are costs incurred for the medical care of the afflicted individuals. We'd also need to just let them die, or euthanase them.

But hey, these problems are a gazillion miles away from Silicon Valley...
Hmm! Hadn´t thought of that, we would have to get our middle ages on.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 20.02.2018, 11:28
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy McModface
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 8,624
Groaned at 59 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 9,223 Times in 3,402 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are you vaccinated against measles?

WHO warns of soaring rates of measles in Europe

Quote:
Europe has seen a massive surge in measles cases in 2017, which the World Health Organization says is a tragedy after a record low of 5,273 cases in 2016.

Cases increased by 400%, with more than 20,000 people affected and 35 deaths.
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-43125242
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #135  
Old 13.03.2018, 10:05
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 3,993
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 4,077 Times in 2,091 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are you vaccinated against measles?

Measles confirmed on Air Canada flight from Zurich to Toronto - Air Canada flight 0879 on March 6

This was the second case in the last month.


Link: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...cials-say.html
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
measles




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can you get measles twice? glendamwm Family matters/health 29 31.03.2018 23:00
You know it's bad when you are given price quote with the question...Are you sitting? V__ Transportation/driving 25 22.12.2011 14:54
Have you had measles? Lakeside Family matters/health 22 28.04.2011 20:42
Check to ensure you are vaccinated Zug bound Football/sports 24 18.05.2008 16:43


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0