Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 09.08.2014, 11:48
TobiasM's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,025
Groaned at 134 Times in 94 Posts
Thanked 1,760 Times in 828 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Recent Ebola outbreak

While Europe has the facilities to trace the source and contain the spread of a Virus like Ebola, most African Nations do not have the medical facilities or resources to do so, that is part of why it has spread rapidly. I very much doubt that illegal immigrants from Africa transmitting diseases are going to be the downfall of the rich Northern world. We are more likely to become victims of a mass Flu epidemic then Ebola. But the right wing media loves a good scare story to keep us all afraid of the immigrants.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TobiasM for this useful post:
  #42  
Old 09.08.2014, 12:46
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,917
Groaned at 590 Times in 377 Posts
Thanked 11,539 Times in 5,936 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Recent Ebola outbreak

There have been historically, altogether, about 1'000 deaths from Ebola, whereas EVERY DAY 1'000 people die from tuberculosis, so let us stop worrying too much eh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuberculosis
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #43  
Old 09.08.2014, 15:08
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 6,237
Groaned at 215 Times in 166 Posts
Thanked 7,622 Times in 4,115 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Recent Ebola outbreak

Quote:
View Post
There have been historically, altogether, about 1'000 deaths from Ebola, whereas EVERY DAY 1'000 people die from tuberculosis, so let us stop worrying too much eh?
With the difference that tuberculosis is pretty well studied and there are TB vaccines and treatments, whereas there are no vaccines nor proper treatments against Ebola, because for the time being it affects "only" the African continent.
Shame.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09.08.2014, 15:20
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamburg, Deutschland
Posts: 671
Groaned at 20 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 640 Times in 361 Posts
lewton has earned some respectlewton has earned some respect
Re: Recent Ebola outbreak

Quote:
View Post
With the difference that tuberculosis is pretty well studied and there are TB vaccines and treatments, whereas there are no vaccines nor proper treatments against Ebola, because for the time being it affects "only" the African continent.
Shame.
It's unfair to the medical community to assume that they can easily "fix Ebola" but have not done it because it only affects Africa...
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09.08.2014, 15:23
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 6,237
Groaned at 215 Times in 166 Posts
Thanked 7,622 Times in 4,115 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Recent Ebola outbreak

Quote:
View Post
It's unfair to the medical community to assume that they can easily "fix Ebola" but have not done it because it only affects Africa...
It's unfair to assume that I assumed the medical community
Quote:
can easily "fix Ebola".
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 10.08.2014, 11:59
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamburg, Deutschland
Posts: 671
Groaned at 20 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 640 Times in 361 Posts
lewton has earned some respectlewton has earned some respect
Re: Recent Ebola outbreak

My bad then, but what exactly did you mean?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10.08.2014, 12:49
Mark75's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: by the lake (either one)
Posts: 2,485
Groaned at 44 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 3,102 Times in 1,347 Posts
Mark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Recent Ebola outbreak

Quote:
View Post
With the difference that tuberculosis is pretty well studied and there are TB vaccines and treatments, whereas there are no vaccines nor proper treatments against Ebola, because for the time being it affects "only" the African continent.
On a global scale, Ebola is a very rare disease. It's a common issue with rare diseases that pharmaceutical companies are reluctant to invest a lot of money into the development of vaccines or treatments against such diseases because it's unlikely that they'll ever recover these investments.

Now one could argue that publicly funded research should fill that gap, but funding and research resources are limited and even if this may sound cynical it makes sense to focus primarily on diseases that affect many people.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Mark75 for this post:
  #48  
Old 11.08.2014, 12:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,318
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Recent Ebola outbreak

Quote:
View Post
On a global scale, Ebola is a very rare disease. It's a common issue with rare diseases that pharmaceutical companies are reluctant to invest a lot of money into the development of vaccines or treatments against such diseases because it's unlikely that they'll ever recover these investments.

Now one could argue that publicly funded research should fill that gap, but funding and research resources are limited and even if this may sound cynical it makes sense to focus primarily on diseases that affect many people.
Yeah, but pharma were very quick to produce bird and swine flu vaccines - and then were left with huge unused quantities.

When the leaders of the (African) countries embezzle their people`s money, who else really cares about funding research into epidemics in those leaders countries?

As for being unable to afford research (or care) re Ebola ....
money is not the problem.... money is only the inspiration to acquire Leadership and Lordship and personal wealth.

http://mg.co.za/article/2014-06-06-w...kandla-houses/

http://www.newzimbabwe.com/pages/palace13.12328.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...orce-case.html

http://triplecrisis.com/rich-preside...-poor-nations/

http://triblive.com/home/2787113-74/...#axzz3A4f6Z7ox

http://buzinessafrica.com/index.php?...emid=5&lang=fr

........ and on and on the stories go .......

What Africa really needs is a cordon around it, and be left to its own devices (and diseases). Not allowing any bleeding hearts to interfere.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank smoky for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 10.09.2014, 19:39
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,917
Groaned at 590 Times in 377 Posts
Thanked 11,539 Times in 5,936 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Recent Ebola outbreak

Wednesday 19th September 2014

At 10 pm Swiss time tonight, on BBC-2 Horizon Ebola, the search for a cure, including reports from survivors, an doctors around the world,

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/c4...rch-for-a-cure

repeated tomorrow night at 00:20 Swiss time on BBC Two (only England, Wales)
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10.09.2014, 20:36
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 6,237
Groaned at 215 Times in 166 Posts
Thanked 7,622 Times in 4,115 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Recent Ebola outbreak

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, but pharma were very quick to produce bird and swine flu vaccines - and then were left with huge unused quantities.

When the leaders of the (African) countries embezzle their people`s money, who else really cares about funding research into epidemics in those leaders countries?

As for being unable to afford research (or care) re Ebola ....
money is not the problem.... money is only the inspiration to acquire Leadership and Lordship and personal wealth.

http://mg.co.za/article/2014-06-06-w...kandla-houses/

http://www.newzimbabwe.com/pages/palace13.12328.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...orce-case.html

http://triplecrisis.com/rich-preside...-poor-nations/

http://triblive.com/home/2787113-74/...#axzz3A4f6Z7ox

http://buzinessafrica.com/index.php?...emid=5&lang=fr

........ and on and on the stories go .......

What Africa really needs is a cordon around it, and be left to its own devices (and diseases). Not allowing any bleeding hearts to interfere.
Smoky, I agree with most of your post except the last two sentences. If not from ethical reasons (and yes, I am a bleeding heart), then for practical reasons. It is virtually impossible to put a cordon around any continent. We are interconnected and must cooperate& help each other. It is counter-productive not to do so, anyway, as it was proven true time after time.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #51  
Old 11.09.2014, 17:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,318
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Recent Ebola outbreak

In the Zürcher Unterlander on Tuesday this week it stated that the deaths are now in the region of +2,000, with +2,000 infected .... and the search is going on for more infected victims.

Seems they are believing there`s something like 20,000 infected - with a recovery rate of 50% - means a possible death rate of 10,000.

The Organisation of African Unity discussed sending in a 200 man team to seek out infected people, but the President of OAU Commission, Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma (relative of SA President Zuma) warned that she "did not want isolation or stigmatism of victims, areas, or countries".

**************
How else can Ebola be treated if people are not isolated?
Who cares about "stigmatism" when a disease such at this is running riot?

********************

In the meantime vaccines are being intensively tested on Chimpanzees and Makaken (German spelling) monkeys in laboratories (poor apes )
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 11.09.2014, 18:02
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,318
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Recent Ebola outbreak

Quote:
View Post
Smoky, I agree with most of your post except the last two sentences. If not from ethical reasons (and yes, I am a bleeding heart), then for practical reasons. It is virtually impossible to put a cordon around any continent. We are interconnected and must cooperate& help each other. It is counter-productive not to do so, anyway, as it was proven true time after time.
Well, dire circumstances require dire treatment - imo.

In the same newspaper article the German Epidemic expert René Gottschalk said "It needs complete hospitals transferred there, or a Hospital ship anchored off the coast, and to send trained Personel and Laboratories".

But that is objected to by OAU President.
I guess she`d be happier if just money was sent?

Last edited by smoky; 11.09.2014 at 18:03. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12.09.2014, 00:05
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,917
Groaned at 590 Times in 377 Posts
Thanked 11,539 Times in 5,936 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Recent Ebola outbreak

Did anybody watch the BBC film / report? I think it was excellent.

It explained the status of the vaccine production, and the difficulties of nursing in Africa, without being infected yourself. It explained how the disease has spread, with an incubation of 3 weeks, there is a time delay.

The personal report from the British nurse who was given some vaccine and recovered almost instantly was very interesting.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #54  
Old 16.09.2014, 23:32
ratbag's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 466
Groaned at 21 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 374 Times in 203 Posts
ratbag is considered knowledgeableratbag is considered knowledgeableratbag is considered knowledgeable
Ebola

What will happen if (when) Ebola reaches Europe?

Reminiscent of circumstances that existed during times of the Black Death?
Reply With Quote
This user groans at ratbag for this post:
  #55  
Old 16.09.2014, 23:36
Kosti's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oranje County
Posts: 488
Groaned at 27 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 871 Times in 364 Posts
Kosti has a reputation beyond reputeKosti has a reputation beyond reputeKosti has a reputation beyond reputeKosti has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ebola

Quote:
View Post
What will happen if (when) Ebola reaches Europe?

Reminiscent of circumstances that existed during times of the Black Death?
No
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 16.09.2014, 23:38
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ZH
Posts: 4,985
Groaned at 62 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,500 Posts
SOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ebola

We all leave.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 16.09.2014, 23:44
ratbag's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 466
Groaned at 21 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 374 Times in 203 Posts
ratbag is considered knowledgeableratbag is considered knowledgeableratbag is considered knowledgeable
Re: Ebola

Quote:
View Post
We all leave.

Australia?
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 16.09.2014, 23:51
ximix's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK (formerly Zurich)
Posts: 2,104
Groaned at 27 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,179 Posts
ximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ebola

In case you missed it, there's already a recent and altogether more serious thread on this subject - http://www.englishforum.ch/internati...-outbreak.html.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 17.09.2014, 08:58
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 9,455
Groaned at 81 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 13,041 Times in 5,819 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ebola

They're going to set up an Ebola treatment centre in Ticino and isolate them there behind the alps.

( or so they said on the radio this morning)
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 17.09.2014, 10:05
Leggat's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lenzburg
Posts: 234
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 252 Times in 116 Posts
Leggat has earned the respect of manyLeggat has earned the respect of manyLeggat has earned the respect of many
Re: Ebola

Quote:
View Post
They're going to set up an Ebola treatment centre in Ticino and isolate them there behind the alps.

( or so they said on the radio this morning)
And thusly, even Ebola is different, .., better in Ticino... :P
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Leggat for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EHEC (E coli) outbreak Ittigen Family matters/health 77 19.06.2011 22:58
Measles outbreak in Geneva kodokan Family matters/health 13 23.02.2011 19:09
Ebola today, maybe the common cold tomorrow phdoofus International affairs/politics 1 02.06.2010 02:09
Zombie outbreak... can you survive? Richdog General off-topic 18 05.04.2009 11:39


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0