English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Family matters/health (https://www.englishforum.ch/family-matters-health/)
-   -   Would you toss them? [sprouting potatoes] (https://www.englishforum.ch/family-matters-health/229224-would-you-toss-them-sprouting-potatoes.html)

glowjupiter 06.03.2015 00:08

Would you toss them? [sprouting potatoes]
 
Hi EFers

I had some mash for dinner, made from slightly sprouted potatoes which admittedly weren't completely firm anymore, milk (expiration date March 15th) and butter (expiration date sometime in April), and I just got extremely sick.

Now, I'm wondering if the rest of the 2.5 kg bag of sprouted potatoes (I have about 1kg left uncooked) should be tossed and if you would dare eat the rest of the mash. Knowing that it could be something completely unrelated to the mash, I'm kind of wary...

Thanks for any advice!

Mods, feel free to move this to Food and Drink if you wish, I wasn't sure where to post.

Island Monkey 06.03.2015 00:11

Re: Would you toss them?
 
I'd bin them. Might not be the potatoes, but for the cost of 1kg of potatoes, do you want to be ill again?

Ace1 06.03.2015 00:11

Re: Would you toss them?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by glowjupiter (Post 2353299)
Hi EFers

I had some mash for dinner, made from slightly sprouted potatoes which admittedly weren't completely firm anymore, milk (expiration date March 15th) and butter (expiration date sometime in April), and I just got extremely sick.

Now, I'm wondering if the rest of the 2.5 kg bag of sprouted potatoes (I have about 1kg left uncooked) should be tossed and if you would dare eat the rest of the mash. Knowing that it could be something completely unrelated to the mash, I'm kind of wary...

Thanks for any advice!

Mods, feel free to move this to Food and Drink if you wish, I wasn't sure where to post.

1. You really ought to learn som colloquial UK English, and words with alternative meanings.
2. Naah, they'll be fine. Had the same thing myself tonight and I'm fiiiiiiiiiiiiiii..............

glowjupiter 06.03.2015 00:14

Re: Would you toss them?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Monkey (Post 2353300)
I'd bin them. Might not be the potatoes, but for the cost of 1kg of potatoes, do you want to be ill again?

Definitely not. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace1 (Post 2353302)
1. You really ought to learn som colloquial UK English, and words with alternative meanings.
2. Naah, they'll be fine. Had the same thing myself tonight and I'm fiiiiiiiiiiiiiii..............

I didn't say that I ate cookies... :msntongue:

MidfieldGeneral 06.03.2015 00:15

Re: Would you toss them?
 
Don't beat yourself over it, toss it, you'll feel better for it!

Dougal's Breakfast 06.03.2015 00:15

Re: Would you toss them?
 
If the potatoes are/were green, then bin them.

Otherwise it was probably something else.

Deep Purple 06.03.2015 00:15

Re: Would you toss them?
 
Sprouting potatoes shouldn't be a problem. If they had gone green they could be slightly suspect, though if any green areas on the surface are peeled off there shouldn't be any issue. I would be more inclined to consider what else you ate. I guess it wasn't just buttered mash

glowjupiter 06.03.2015 00:17

Re: Would you toss them?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougal's Breakfast (Post 2353305)
If the potatoes are/were green, then bin them.

Otherwise it was probably something else.

They're not green but definitely softer than the potatoes one buys "fresh" at the store.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Purple (Post 2353306)
Sprouting potatoes shouldn't be a problem. If they had gone green they could be slightly suspect. I would be more inclined to consider what else you ate. I guess it wasn't just buttered mash

No, nothing else. Mash and water. Breakfast was this morning around 8, the usual toast and jam and I was fine with that.

greenmount 06.03.2015 00:38

Re: Would you toss them?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by glowjupiter (Post 2353307)
They're not green but definitely softer than the potatoes one buys "fresh" at the store.



No, nothing else. Mash and water. Breakfast was this morning around 8, the usual toast and jam and I was fine with that.

How was the mash? If it was gummy/sticky then probably that was the cause for indigestion.

P.S. I would toss the potatoes and the milk, just in case. My peace of mind is worth a few francs, even if they're not the culprits. ;)

glowjupiter 06.03.2015 00:42

Re: Would you toss them?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenmount (Post 2353322)
How was the mash? If it was gummy/sticky then probably that was the cause for indigestion.

It was normal, not gummy/stringy/waxy or anything out of the ordinary.

adrianlondon 06.03.2015 00:48

Re: Would you toss them?
 
All the ingredients sound fine; you may have just caught a stomach bug or got sick from something else you ate. Eat the same thing again and see what happens.

Island Monkey 06.03.2015 00:53

Re: Would you toss them?
 
Thing is, if you eat them, will you then sit there worried for hours that you will get sick? Will you get sick because of the nociebo effect? I just wouldn't bother and chuck them outů but then I am a stress head :rolleyes:

Sbrinz 06.03.2015 03:41

Re: Would you toss them?
 
Some friends of mine had some dubious fish left over. They gave a bit to the cat and waited and hour.
Then they started to eat the old fish, and they had just finished eating, when the cat was sick! :eek:

OP you probably have the stomach 'flu, there is a lot about, since December.

i-b-deborah 06.03.2015 08:57

Re: Would you toss them?
 
Pregnant? Congrats!

TiMow 06.03.2015 09:06

Re: Would you toss them?
 
When my doctor was checking my prostrate, he told me it would make me feel sick.

- "What", I said, "putting your finger up there wont make me feel sick"

- "But it will, when I put it your mouth afterwards" he replied with a grin.


You've probably got some other contamination from another source.

As stated above, green potatoes can contain a 'poison' which can cause upsets, but not if they're just soft and sprouting.

st2lemans 06.03.2015 09:15

Re: Would you toss them?
 
Send it all to me! :msntongue:

Tom

Village Idiot 06.03.2015 09:43

Re: Would you toss them?
 
You can add me to the 'tosser' camp. Wouldn't be the first time.

Richdog 06.03.2015 09:51

Re: Would you toss them?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by glowjupiter (Post 2353299)
Hi EFers

I had some mash for dinner, made from slightly sprouted potatoes which admittedly weren't completely firm anymore, milk (expiration date March 15th) and butter (expiration date sometime in April), and I just got extremely sick.

Now, I'm wondering if the rest of the 2.5 kg bag of sprouted potatoes (I have about 1kg left uncooked) should be tossed and if you would dare eat the rest of the mash. Knowing that it could be something completely unrelated to the mash, I'm kind of wary...

Thanks for any advice!

Mods, feel free to move this to Food and Drink if you wish, I wasn't sure where to post.

Reading this thread is actually very interesting... I have been eating sprouted and not 100% firm potatoes for as long as I can remember (it happens after a week or two of having them), and have never once had a problem. I just pull and cut the sprouts away and then peel them... they just taste like normal potatoes!

Are you sure it was the potatoes that made you sick, and not something else?

adrianlondon 06.03.2015 11:18

Re: Would you toss them?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Village Idiot (Post 2353381)
You can add me to the 'tosser' camp.

There's a camp?

Belgianmum 06.03.2015 12:10

Re: Would you toss them?
 
I'd have been dead a very long time ago if eating potatoes that had sprouted was dangerous. I just take the sprouting bits off, cut off all the green bits if there are any and use the potatoes as normal. I would only toss them if the sprouting bits actually had leaves on them as they'd be a bit far gone by then.

I think it was probably something else that made you sick.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:32.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0