English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Family matters/health (https://www.englishforum.ch/family-matters-health/)
-   -   Birth experience in Swiss hospitals/clinics -advice/tips/stories? (https://www.englishforum.ch/family-matters-health/2331-birth-experience-swiss-hospitals-clinics-advice-tips-stories.html)

mamacass 22.10.2007 15:19

Re: Birth experience in Swiss hospitals/clinics -advice/tips/stories?
 
If you really want to go natural another suggestion would be a birthing haus . (there is one in Wald zh and there is bound to be one in your area . )

Mr Happy 23.10.2007 09:41

Re: Birth experience in Swiss hospitals/clinics -advice/tips/stories?
 
I think I can see the confusion.

The ten week from conception change in status is by law and you cannot be penalised for the change in insurance plan.

AFTER 10 WEEKS AT ANY STAGE an insurer will upgrade you, charge you more and throw premiums your way - thats just business.

Klar?

(PS. I am third hand on this, my wife read the terms and conditions contract and then told me so if there;s any problems I apologise).

Mr Happy 23.10.2007 09:46

Re: Birth experience in Swiss hospitals/clinics -advice/tips/stories?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by szi_vi (Post 120068)
i 100% agree with that.
the only reason i am asking about choosing a hospital because i am expecting twins, and hear and read nothing but how many more complications it means comparing with singletons. so i'd like to find a facility which is experienced to help delivering twins.

thanks,Viktoria

Firstly congrats on Twins, I keep saying to Mrs Happy that we should get some fertility drugs so we can have quads or something but strangely she's against it.

Secondly, and forgive me for saying it, twins is no problem and common for hospitals. Everytime my wife has had a baby there have been twins in the ward too, its a weekly occurance for most hospitals so you're fine.

At triplets however it gets a lot more complicated - in Spain, private hospitals won't touch you and you have to go to the state hospital as friends of ours discovered.

undercovermoles 23.10.2007 10:54

Re: Birth experience in Swiss hospitals/clinics -advice/tips/stories?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Happy (Post 120604)
I think I can see the confusion.

The ten week from conception change in status is by law and you cannot be penalised for the change in insurance plan.

AFTER 10 WEEKS AT ANY STAGE an insurer will upgrade you, charge you more and throw premiums your way - thats just business.

Klar?

(PS. I am third hand on this, my wife read the terms and conditions contract and then told me so if there;s any problems I apologise).

any idea how much the premium goes up? and whether it comes down again after birth? our situation is we are still in UK but will be moving out say at about 20 weeks pregnant - will get private healthcare as part of the package from the employer (which will include wife and family) but at that point our "family" is still a foetus - we want to have a fully private birth at Hirlanden for example, with obstetrician care/delivery.... do you think we will still have to pay the hospital for the birth (some on here have said 25k CHF) or will this be included in the "private" insurance - sorry I have read every post on this but still can't quite see how it works...

szi_vi 23.10.2007 10:59

Re: Birth experience in Swiss hospitals/clinics -advice/tips/stories?
 
thanks again Mr Happy. your comments are so comforting:)

Guest 23.10.2007 11:53

Re: Birth experience in Swiss hospitals/clinics -advice/tips/stories?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by undercovermoles (Post 120657)
any idea how much the premium goes up? and whether it comes down again after birth? our situation is we are still in UK but will be moving out say at about 20 weeks pregnant - will get private healthcare as part of the package from the employer (which will include wife and family) but at that point our "family" is still a foetus - we want to have a fully private birth at Hirlanden for example, with obstetrician care/delivery.... do you think we will still have to pay the hospital for the birth (some on here have said 25k CHF) or will this be included in the "private" insurance - sorry I have read every post on this but still can't quite see how it works...

In my experience, insurance companies differ from one another and also differ according to your personal situation so you would be best checking back with your own company. My policy was obviously different to some on this thread so if one of us tells you how it is/was for us, it might be something totally different for you.

Usually there is a helpline telephone number on the policy and I imagine someone there would speak English.

We changed from KBV a few years ago because we found a better, more comprehensive cover which suited us with Progés. And it was cheaper.

Good luck.

undercovermoles 23.10.2007 13:06

Re: Birth experience in Swiss hospitals/clinics -advice/tips/stories?
 
Quote:

In my experience, insurance companies differ from one another and also differ according to your personal situation so you would be best checking back with your own company. My policy was obviously different to some on this thread so if one of us tells you how it is/was for us, it might be something totally different for you.

Usually there is a helpline telephone number on the policy and I imagine someone there would speak English.

We changed from KBV a few years ago because we found a better, more comprehensive cover which suited us with Progés. And it was cheaper.

Good luck.
thanks - we don't have a Swiss insurance company yet as still in UK so in that case does anyone know which insurer is the "best" for our situation - i.e. will need full private birth cover within a few months of arriving in CH...

Guest 23.10.2007 13:15

Re: Birth experience in Swiss hospitals/clinics -advice/tips/stories?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by undercovermoles (Post 120779)
thanks - we don't have a Swiss insurance company yet as still in UK so in that case does anyone know which insurer is the "best" for our situation - i.e. will need full private birth cover within a few months of arriving in CH...

Try this website (there's an English language option) www.comparis.ch. It compares all sorts of services in Switzerland including health insurance.

muze7 23.10.2007 14:22

Re: Birth experience in Swiss hospitals/clinics -advice/tips/stories?
 
I thought this might be relevant to people who are getting complementary insurance to cover pregnancy, like private or semi-private insurance.

I looked into the details of one such insurance, and I am shocked :(. Unless I have misinterpreted the German, you have to pay back whatever bills they paid for you under this complementary insurance for pregnancy if you leave them within three years!! This is a shocker.

So please correct me if I am wrong. In any case, it seems imperative to read the fine print even more closely!

Quote:

Schwangerschaft und Niederkunft sind den Krankheiten gleichgestellt,
sofern die Mutter bei der Niederkunft während mindestens 365 Tagen ununterbrochen bei innova oder bei einem anderen Versicherer gleichwertig für Krankheit versichert gewesen ist und Mutterschaftsleistungen mitversichert sind.

Die Leistungen für Schwangerschaft und Niederkunft für Mutter und
Kind werden von innova als Vorleistung innert 30 Tagen nach
Vorlage der zur Abrechnung erforderlichen Unterlagen erbracht.

Wird die Versicherungsdeckung innerhalb von drei vollen Kalenderjahren
seit Versicherungsbeginn bei innova gekündigt oder
nicht gleichwertig weitergeführt, sind die von innova bezahlten
Versicherungsleistungen vom Versicherungsnehmer innert 30
Tagen seit der Rechnungstellung durch innova zurückzuerstatten.

innova informiert den Versicherungsnehmer über die Rückforderungen
innerhalb von 30 Tagen seit Bekanntgabe der Kündigung
oder der Reduktion der Versicherungsabteilung. Der
Versicherungsnehmer hat die Möglichkeit, die Kündigung oder
die Reduktion der Versicherungsabteilung innert 30 Tagen seit
Erhalt der Rückforderung mittels eingeschriebenen Brief rückgängig
zu machen und die Versicherungsabteilung im bisherigen
Rahmen weiterzuführen. Die Rückforderung entfällt in diesem
Fall.


Lou 23.10.2007 21:02

Re: Birth experience in Swiss hospitals/clinics -advice/tips/stories?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by muze7 (Post 120833)
I thought this might be relevant to people who are getting complementary insurance to cover pregnancy, like private or semi-private insurance.

I looked into the details of one such insurance, and I am shocked :(. Unless I have misinterpreted the German, you have to pay back whatever bills they paid for you under this complementary insurance for pregnancy if you leave them within three years!! This is a shocker.

So please correct me if I am wrong. In any case, it seems imperative to read the fine print even more closely!

With my insurance company if you upgrade to private then claim for pregnancy you cannot downgrade again for 2 years. Somthing to bear in mind if you go from two salaries to one.

Mr Happy 24.10.2007 10:52

Re: Birth experience in Swiss hospitals/clinics -advice/tips/stories?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by undercovermoles (Post 120657)
any idea how much the premium goes up? and whether it comes down again after birth? our situation is we are still in UK but will be moving out say at about 20 weeks pregnant - will get private healthcare as part of the package from the employer (which will include wife and family) but at that point our "family" is still a foetus - we want to have a fully private birth at Hirlanden for example, with obstetrician care/delivery.... do you think we will still have to pay the hospital for the birth (some on here have said 25k CHF) or will this be included in the "private" insurance - sorry I have read every post on this but still can't quite see how it works...

Couple of points. Mrs Happy tells me its not 10 weeks, its 9. And she's getting a little woolier on the details too so PLEASE do check yourself.

Increase in premiums inside 9 weeks (if my earlier posts were accurate) are whatever semi-to-fully covered difference is. No issues. Elsewhere yes you'll probably pay a premium.

I recommend you speak to an insurance agent (independent) for the best deals. Better, speak to two.

This can be done remotely through google/etc but if an issue PM me and I'll try to help too. Don't forget to include Geneva (IIRC?) when googling as there's a wealth of difference between DE and FR speaking parts of CH.

muze7 14.11.2007 21:27

Re: Birth experience in Swiss hospitals/clinics -advice/tips/stories?
 
Has anyone given birth in Bern? The thing is, it looks like there is only one clinic, the Frauenklinik, which is linked to the Inselspital I think

Tey also say they do not do private, as all rooms are double rooms. Now, if I wanted to have a choice in doctor, I guess I would still have to go private just for this reason?

Any experiences with this clinic?

Polorise 14.11.2007 21:39

Re: Birth experience in Swiss hospitals/clinics -advice/tips/stories?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by muze7 (Post 132838)
Has anyone given birth in Bern? The thing is, it looks like there is only one clinic, the Frauenklinik, which is linked to the Inselspital I think

Tey also say they do not do private, as all rooms are double rooms. Now, if I wanted to have a choice in doctor, I guess I would still have to go private just for this reason?

Any experiences with this clinic?

Our son was born there just under two years ago ... no problems with the staff or facilities etc. He just took his time with negotiating the plumbing ... 36hrs :msncrazy:
Is very modern & the staff are helpful. Mrs P had acupuncture, aromatherapy, bathing etc.
As for private, you can do that in connection with the Salem Spital, Mrs P's fantastic Gynie practices there.

Guest 15.11.2007 08:32

Re: Birth experience in Swiss hospitals/clinics -advice/tips/stories?
 
To have a choice in doctors, one needs to be either half or full private.

Lou 15.11.2007 16:36

Re: Birth experience in Swiss hospitals/clinics -advice/tips/stories?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissMs2000 (Post 132931)
To have a choice in doctors, one needs to be either half or full private.

This depends on the insurance company/policy you have. I only have basic insurance but can & have choosen doctors.

mightymarce 15.11.2007 17:40

Re: Birth experience in Swiss hospitals/clinics -advice/tips/stories?
 
Going back to the original discussion on this thread, I thought I'd post a link to a different thread I just posted on talking about a birthing center just outside of Geneva for anyone who might be interested. It seems to be the one place nearby that does offer water-births for those who want it:

http://www.englishforum.ch/family-ma...periences.html

mightymarce 15.11.2007 17:43

Re: Birth experience in Swiss hospitals/clinics -advice/tips/stories?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou (Post 133286)
This depends on the insurance company/policy you have. I only have basic insurance but can & have choosen doctors.

I'm not sure if this is what the other poster meant, but I know in Geneva if you want to have your choice of doctor delivering your baby you have to go to one of the private clinics, in which case I think you have to have either semi- or fully private insurance. If you go to the public hospital you can choose the doctor you use for pregnancy check-ups, but when it comes to giving birth you have to use the hospitals' mid-wives and staff doctors.

I don't know if this is the case for other Swiss cities/hospitals.

Lou 15.11.2007 20:04

Re: Birth experience in Swiss hospitals/clinics -advice/tips/stories?
 
Maybe SwissMiss could clarify. Here in Kt Zurich I choose the Dr who delivered my baby with only basic insurance in the regional hospital.

marish 15.11.2007 22:01

Re: Birth experience in Swiss hospitals/clinics -advice/tips/stories?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou (Post 133398)
Maybe SwissMiss could clarify. Here in Kt Zurich I choose the Dr who delivered my baby with only basic insurance in the regional hospital.

Hi Lou,
It was not like this in my case. It was at Zurich Universitatspital and I cannot choose or request for my gynae to be there during the delivery.
But this was almost 4 years back. Maybe they have change now.

Lou 15.11.2007 22:14

Re: Birth experience in Swiss hospitals/clinics -advice/tips/stories?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by marish (Post 133428)
Hi Lou,
It was not like this in my case. It was at Zurich Universitatspital and I cannot choose or request for my gynae to be there during the delivery.
But this was almost 4 years back. Maybe they have change now.

I would presume the difference is with the insurance companies rather than the doctors?? I guess women need to check what their company does cover since experiences seem to differ so greatly.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:29.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0