English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Family matters/health (https://www.englishforum.ch/family-matters-health/)
-   -   Newborn Vaccination for Tuberculosis (BCG) (https://www.englishforum.ch/family-matters-health/243160-newborn-vaccination-tuberculosis-bcg.html)

Amrita_s 05.11.2015 15:37

Newborn Vaccination for Tuberculosis (BCG)
 
My daughter is 2.5 months old and we are living in Zurich. Her vaccination is ongoing as per Swiss schedule but it doesn't include one for Tuberculosis (BCG).

Our doctor also mentioned that it's not available here in Switzerland since it's low risk here. I am also aware of the fact that it doesn't protect completely against TB and leaves a scar permanently.

But I would prefer to get her vaccinated before we travel to India.

Can anyone please suggest any doctor/hospital in Zurich where this vaccinations is offered?

Thanks in advance..

Rangatiranui 05.11.2015 15:40

Re: Newborn Vaccination for Tuberculosis (BCG)
 
It would be best to ask your doctor.

Tell her that you will be traveling to India.

Tell her that it is important to you.
She is likely to be able to arrange that herself.

Guest 05.11.2015 15:51

Re: Newborn Vaccination for Tuberculosis (BCG)
 
I d recommend the Tropemmedizon Zentrum at Bellevue.http://www.tropdoc.ch

aSwissInTheUS 05.11.2015 16:03

Re: Newborn Vaccination for Tuberculosis (BCG)
 
It is recommended for babies which will live in affected regions:
Page 53 http://www.tbinfo.ch/fileadmin/user_..._TB_en_Web.pdf

kanga 10.11.2015 19:27

Re: Newborn Vaccination for Tuberculosis (BCG)
 
I'd go to the Travel Clinic of the University Hospital. You can get advice and vaccinations without registration. See here
http://www.ebpi.uzh.ch/en/services/travelclinic.html

jay_ 06.01.2016 15:19

Re: Newborn Vaccination for Tuberculosis (BCG)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amrita_s (Post 2479937)
My daughter is 2.5 months old and we are living in Zurich. Her vaccination is ongoing as per Swiss schedule but it doesn't include one for Tuberculosis (BCG).

Our doctor also mentioned that it's not available here in Switzerland since it's low risk here. I am also aware of the fact that it doesn't protect completely against TB and leaves a scar permanently.

But I would prefer to get her vaccinated before we travel to India.

Can anyone please suggest any doctor/hospital in Zurich where this vaccinations is offered?

Thanks in advance..

Hi Amruta,

Facing the same issue. Were you able to solve yours?

Rgds,
Jay

Guest 06.01.2016 15:21

Re: Newborn Vaccination for Tuberculosis (BCG)
 
You just have to go to your GP or peadiatrician and explain that it is important for your child due to travel and contact with countries where TB is still prevalent.

Guest 06.01.2016 15:25

Re: Newborn Vaccination for Tuberculosis (BCG)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jay_ (Post 2511832)
Hi Amruta,

Facing the same issue. Were you able to solve yours?

Rgds,
Jay

Hi Jay,

The Swiss TPH looks like the place for you to contact in Basel - and if they recommend it, your kid's doc.

NotAllThere 06.01.2016 15:48

Re: Newborn Vaccination for Tuberculosis (BCG)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amrita_s (Post 2479937)
... and leaves a scar permanently...

Funnily enough I was looking for my scar yesterday, and couldn't find it. So perhaps not permanent?

Sbrinz 06.01.2016 16:11

Re: Newborn Vaccination for Tuberculosis (BCG)
 
We had our daughter vaccinated at the top of her thigh. In my experience the scar disappears over the years.

Mélusine 06.01.2016 16:13

Re: Newborn Vaccination for Tuberculosis (BCG)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sbrinz (Post 2511882)
We had our daughter vaccinated at the top of her thigh. In my experience the scar disappears over the years.


I think it depends on how strongly you reacted to the vaccine in the first place. My mother is over 50 and still has a very visible scar from it.

LevAn 23.06.2022 13:47

Re: Newborn Vaccination for Tuberculosis (BCG)
 
Hi.

I would also like to vaccinate my child against tuberculosis in CH. (BCG)
Did anykne manage to figure how would that be possible? Where do they do vaccination in CH?
Thanks

Mica 23.06.2022 16:53

Re: Newborn Vaccination for Tuberculosis (BCG)
 
According to this (from 2019) BCG vaccination is not available on the market in Switzerland.
https://www.swissdocu.ch/de/news/103...-ausser-handel

But if anyone knows it would be institute for travel medicine:
https://www.ebpi.uzh.ch/en/services/travelclinic.html


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:28.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0