Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05.01.2016, 18:17
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
ccorbett has no particular reputation at present
Dental Work/Implants in Zurich or Konstanz?

Dear all,

I have a quite a bit of dental work needing done including a root canal/filling, 2 crowns and a possible dental implant. Does anyone have experience with getting dental work done over the border for the same quality as Switzerland but less cost.

Alternatively, anyone have extensive work done here in Zurich and can recommend a good dentist who does implants too?

I live in Zurich so Konstanz would be an obvious choice.

Thanks very much!

Claire
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05.01.2016, 19:02
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,237
Groaned at 373 Times in 313 Posts
Thanked 14,353 Times in 6,655 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dental Work/Implants in Zurich or Konstanz?

No experience myself on that but heard good stories on Dr Hafner and Grose in Jestetten.
Use them myself for my half yearly checks and dental cleaning.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06.01.2016, 00:16
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ZH
Posts: 987
Groaned at 24 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,344 Times in 501 Posts
arrow has a reputation beyond reputearrow has a reputation beyond reputearrow has a reputation beyond reputearrow has a reputation beyond reputearrow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dental Work/Implants in Zurich or Konstanz?

Depending on what you need, your expectations and budget, there are many different routes to restoring your dentition. If you were my friend, I would suggest to have an OPT (orthopantomogram -panoramic) x-ray made and visit several offices. Simply choosing a practice according to price or location would not be my suggestion.

Once the OPT is made, it can be emailed to you or saved on a disk, which you can use at other dental practices. ( It belongs to you!) The small cost of a consultation ( Besprechung) is a good investment toward your peace of mind.

In Switzerland, the dentists charge according to a Tax Point system which is based upon experience, expertise and location. However, this is not always the end all, as a good professional can give you good advice to suit your needs and budget. For example, a completely edentulous patient ( no teeth) may not need to replace all his/her teeth. There are other options like :




In this case, the patient would only need four implants per arch, which would be less invasive and less costly. However, this may not be your dream or your case.

If you need only anterior cosmetic restorations, or have special considerations, you may want or need other types of treatment.

In all cases, I strongly suggest the X-ray and various consultations, to find your best choice.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank arrow for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 06.01.2016, 00:46
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ZH
Posts: 987
Groaned at 24 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,344 Times in 501 Posts
arrow has a reputation beyond reputearrow has a reputation beyond reputearrow has a reputation beyond reputearrow has a reputation beyond reputearrow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dental Work/Implants in Zurich or Konstanz?

Quote:
View Post
Dear all,

I have a quite a bit of dental work needing done including a root canal/filling, 2 crowns and a possible dental implant. Does anyone have experience with getting dental work done over the border for the same quality as Switzerland but less cost.

Alternatively, anyone have extensive work done here in Zurich and can recommend a good dentist who does implants too?

I live in Zurich so Konstanz would be an obvious choice.

Thanks very much!

Claire

Claire, as I reread your post and your list of needed procedures I realize my first suggestion is not at all helpful for you! Sorry! However, I shall leave it for others.

Finding a " good" dentist depends upon several factors. First of all, your nationality and expectations can determine a lot! Do you already have x-rays? Have you visited a Swiss dentist yet? Are you in pain?

One root canal and one implant is relatively llittle treatment. It may not be worth the trouble of going to Konstanz, in consideration of the follow up apppointments. Pm me!

Last edited by arrow; 06.01.2016 at 00:47. Reason: Add info...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09.01.2016, 02:11
telandy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 2,059
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 634 Times in 378 Posts
telandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputation
Re: Dental Work/Implants in Zurich or Konstanz?

There is a place in Zurich that will take all the xrays etc and you can have the work done in Hungary. Dentist work here is just too expensive in my view!
I think that the information is on the forum if you search!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20.01.2016, 20:00
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bonn, Germany
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
eddykalex has no particular reputation at present
Re: Dental Work/Implants in Zurich or Konstanz?

Quote:
View Post
Depending on what you need, your expectations and budget, there are many different routes to restoring your dentition. If you were my friend, I would suggest to have an OPT (orthopantomogram -panoramic) x-ray made and visit several offices. Simply choosing a practice according to price or location would not be my suggestion.

Once the OPT is made, it can be emailed to you or saved on a disk, which you can use at other dental practices. ( It belongs to you!) The small cost of a consultation ( Besprechung) is a good investment toward your peace of mind.

In Switzerland, the dentists charge according to a Tax Point system which is based upon experience, expertise and location. However, this is not always the end all, as a good professional can give you good advice to suit your needs and budget. For example, a completely edentulous patient ( no teeth) may not need to replace all his/her teeth. There are other options like :




In this case, the patient would only need four implants per arch, which would be less invasive and less costly. However, this may not be your dream or your case.

If you need only anterior cosmetic restorations, or have special considerations, you may want or need other types of treatment.

In all cases, I strongly suggest the X-ray and various consultations, to find your best choice.

Good luck!
Hi Susan,

Could you recommend a place where I could get a OPT x-ray around Zurich? Thanks!

Eddy
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20.01.2016, 21:33
jaudi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: zurich
Posts: 562
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 492 Times in 229 Posts
jaudi has a reputation beyond reputejaudi has a reputation beyond reputejaudi has a reputation beyond reputejaudi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dental Work/Implants in Zurich or Konstanz?

Going abroad for a few minor (one-off) fixes might make sense if travel+accomodation is cheap or you combine it with other travel (vacation etc.). But for implants there are a series of visits (best case probably 4-5) over a number of months during the treatment. You really want to travel each time ? What if the treatment does not go smoothly and you need more visits ? I have been quoted 4k - 5k per implant in Zurich (just one place, no shopping around), which is a lot. But the convenience of having a nearby dentist I can visit before work or during lunchtimes/evenings during such a treatment (especially in case of any complications) makes it worthwhile to pay the extra.

Also, people gripe about the cost of dentistry here, but next time you're there, take notice that there is a (well trained) dentist, a dental assistant and some top notch equipment. When I cost it all up, the price I pay does not seem so unreasonable.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jaudi for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 20.01.2016, 21:34
jaudi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: zurich
Posts: 562
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 492 Times in 229 Posts
jaudi has a reputation beyond reputejaudi has a reputation beyond reputejaudi has a reputation beyond reputejaudi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dental Work/Implants in Zurich or Konstanz?

Quote:
View Post
Hi Susan,

Could you recommend a place where I could get a OPT x-ray around Zurich? Thanks!

Eddy
I just had one done at SwissSmile (Hauptbahnhof / Bahnhofstrasse).
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ceiling lights in flat/apartment - where to buy in Zurich and/or Konstanz MitzEclipse Daily life 14 23.10.2015 11:38
Lost ring in or near Aldi or Praktiker in Konstanz cjnowinch Daily life 8 29.11.2012 13:52
Having dental work done in Germany - advice please hiaw Insurance 5 24.07.2011 14:54
American Dental Hygienist looking for work in Switzerland Zacandjaysaunt Employment 8 03.08.2010 19:35


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0