Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17.02.2017, 12:52
Rachimus's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Windisch
Posts: 37
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Rachimus has earned some respectRachimus has earned some respect
Questions about Pampers, Nappies, Diapers etc

Weird question but I was wondering if anyone had spotted any of the Pampers Baby Dry nappies anywhere recently WITHOUT the new 'Magical Pods'?

I don't know why but these new ones just seem to make the kid smell like wee all the time, even if he's only done a dribble of a pee.

My second question is, if I can't find any more of the old kind, how would you rate some of the other brands out there? I'm guessing i'll have to change but I haven't really had experience with anything other than the various Pamper types.
Has anyone tried the Pingu nappies?

Third question- How do you change a baby on a long train trip? We travelled to Geneva and back yesterday and the kid needed changing twice and we couldn't see anywhere in the toilets to do it so just changed him on the seats
Obviously with changing pads down and in an emptier part of the carriage and all that, but it was still a bit strange and probably pretty for the other passengers! Is there a better way?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17.02.2017, 12:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,945
Groaned at 165 Times in 130 Posts
Thanked 10,229 Times in 3,448 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Questions about Pampers, Nappies, Diapers etc

we tried out many brands and variations of diapers and ended up with Lidl diapers. Just as good or better than any other brand. I wasn't really impressed by pampers.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 17.02.2017, 13:15
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 623
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 299 Times in 193 Posts
simple_person is considered knowledgeablesimple_person is considered knowledgeablesimple_person is considered knowledgeable
Re: Questions about Pampers, Nappies, Diapers etc

One tip is to upgrade the diaper size as soon as possible. Like your child weight might be suitable for 4, 4+ and 5 sizes. Take the biggest one. We also tried many and settled with coop ones. Pampers were worst of the lot.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank simple_person for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 17.02.2017, 13:20
MathNut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kt. Glarus
Posts: 4,256
Groaned at 35 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 10,106 Times in 3,091 Posts
MathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Questions about Pampers, Nappies, Diapers etc

I usually change my kids in the train toilets. Sit down, lay baby across your lap, change diaper. It's horrendously cramped (especially if you have to lean forward the whole time because you have baby's twin in a carrier on your back) but still manageable till the age of about 1.5. After that we switched to standing-up diaper changes, also in the train toilets.

If one child is napping and the other needs a change, I ask someone sitting across the aisle to keep an eye on the one sleeping. So far I've always found people willing to help out. Or if there's nobody near enough that I feel comfortable asking, I wheel the stroller with sleeping kid down to the toilets and leave it standing just outside.

Or I have also gotten off at the next station, changed diapers all round, bought myself a coffee and gotten back on the next train half an hour or an hour later. That works too.

Not saying I would definitely never ever under any circumstances change a kid right there in the train carriage... just saying that with a little resourcefulness so far it hasn't been necessary.
__________________
Need help? Contact a mod.

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MathNut for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 17.02.2017, 13:26
donpiedro's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 616
Groaned at 28 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 849 Times in 329 Posts
donpiedro has earned the respect of manydonpiedro has earned the respect of manydonpiedro has earned the respect of many
Re: Questions about Pampers, Nappies, Diapers etc

Some people swear by Japanese diapers. God knows why

Japaneese diapers -Where to buy/order?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 17.02.2017, 13:35
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: GENEVA
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
philde has become a little unpopular
Re: Questions about Pampers, Nappies, Diapers etc

Quote:
View Post
One tip is to upgrade the diaper size as soon as possible. Like your child weight might be suitable for 4, 4+ and 5 sizes. Take the biggest one. We also tried many and settled with coop ones. Pampers were worst of the lot.
For us, it was the same, we changed up to a bigger size, especially for the night. Otherwise baby would wake up earlier ..... Pampers isn't cheap and is not so much effective ..... but that's our point of view
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 17.02.2017, 13:59
deutschmaad's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 341
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 104 Times in 73 Posts
deutschmaad has earned the respect of manydeutschmaad has earned the respect of manydeutschmaad has earned the respect of many
Re: Questions about Pampers, Nappies, Diapers etc

Slightly off-topic...I've put 2 pampers on my youngest charge at 8 months. One went on the right way and one back to front to help prevent leaks at night..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 17.02.2017, 14:35
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 111
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
proshut has no particular reputation at present
Re: Questions about Pampers, Nappies, Diapers etc

Quote:
View Post
My second question is, if I can't find any more of the old kind, how would you rate some of the other brands out there? I'm guessing i'll have to change but I haven't really had experience with anything other than the various Pamper types....

We use Moltex for our baby girl, and she has been happy with it so far. You can buy it from Amazon.de although as of 2017 it seems that you have to be a Prime member of amazon to be able to buy it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank proshut for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 17.02.2017, 14:50
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 5,706
Groaned at 40 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 8,236 Times in 3,684 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Questions about Pampers, Nappies, Diapers etc

Regarding diaper change in the train. I do not have a little shitter so I have to rely on what is written elsewhere: http://blog.sbb.ch/wickeln-im-zug/2013/04/16/

In single floor trains there seems to be a changing table in the bigger toilets for disabled persons. You can find it in a 1st class wagon.

In long distance double floor trains it is best to use the family wagon. You can find it either at the very end or very beginning of the train. AFAIK in trains going to Zurich it is at the end, and coming fro Zurich in the front.

In newer trains there seems to be a changing table in the family sections. In older trains nobody really cares in the family section as they all are parents and know the deal.

Train with a family wagon are labeled with FA in the time table. An FZ marks trains with a little bit smaller family zone.
__________________
Discover the beauty of Switzerland and its many wonderful passes with your motorbike - http://motofun.ch/paessefahren.html
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 17.02.2017, 15:49
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
aurora australis has no particular reputation at present
Re: Questions about Pampers, Nappies, Diapers etc

We also tried out a few brands and we ended up using a different brand for each size. The Pampers newborn size were the best fit at the beginning, than for sizes 2 and 3 we switch to Coop and Migros ones and they were both perfectly fine. Strangely, both Coop and Migros brands started to leak when we switched to size 4. Now we are back to Pampers with no issues so far. You can try Coop and Migros ones, it might work for you.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aurora australis for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 26.02.2017, 13:06
Rachimus's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Windisch
Posts: 37
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Rachimus has earned some respectRachimus has earned some respect
Re: Questions about Pampers, Nappies, Diapers etc

Quote:
View Post
I usually change my kids in the train toilets. Sit down, lay baby across your lap, change diaper. It's horrendously cramped (especially if you have to lean forward the whole time because you have baby's twin in a carrier on your back) but still manageable till the age of about 1.5. After that we switched to standing-up diaper changes, also in the train toilets.

If one child is napping and the other needs a change, I ask someone sitting across the aisle to keep an eye on the one sleeping. So far I've always found people willing to help out. Or if there's nobody near enough that I feel comfortable asking, I wheel the stroller with sleeping kid down to the toilets and leave it standing just outside.

Or I have also gotten off at the next station, changed diapers all round, bought myself a coffee and gotten back on the next train half an hour or an hour later. That works too.

Not saying I would definitely never ever under any circumstances change a kid right there in the train carriage... just saying that with a little resourcefulness so far it hasn't been necessary.

Quote:
View Post
Regarding diaper change in the train. I do not have a little shitter so I have to rely on what is written elsewhere: http://blog.sbb.ch/wickeln-im-zug/2013/04/16/

In single floor trains there seems to be a changing table in the bigger toilets for disabled persons. You can find it in a 1st class wagon.

In long distance double floor trains it is best to use the family wagon. You can find it either at the very end or very beginning of the train. AFAIK in trains going to Zurich it is at the end, and coming fro Zurich in the front.

In newer trains there seems to be a changing table in the family sections. In older trains nobody really cares in the family section as they all are parents and know the deal.

Train with a family wagon are labeled with FA in the time table. An FZ marks trains with a little bit smaller family zone.
These replies are both very helpful, thank you! And MathNut, hats off to you juggling the two kids!

Quote:
View Post
We also tried out a few brands and we ended up using a different brand for each size. The Pampers newborn size were the best fit at the beginning, than for sizes 2 and 3 we switch to Coop and Migros ones and they were both perfectly fine. Strangely, both Coop and Migros brands started to leak when we switched to size 4. Now we are back to Pampers with no issues so far. You can try Coop and Migros ones, it might work for you.
We did some switching between the Pampers types from size to size, atm he's very much a size 3. I've been trying out the Migros Milette ones for the last week and they're ok but not great - keep finding those nappy granule things on his bum and we've had a couple of leaks.
Next try will be the Coop brand!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 26.02.2017, 15:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 20,007
Groaned at 403 Times in 301 Posts
Thanked 22,953 Times in 10,384 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Questions about Pampers, Nappies, Diapers etc

Another consumer survey showing that many of the disposable have just too many chemicals, etc, including some of the major brands. Will go and look for the link.

From March 'Bon à Savoir' Romandie consumer mag:

Parmi les huit produits qui écopent de la mention «insuffisant», on trouve les Toujours (Lidl), les écologiques Naty by Nature Babycare et trois variantes de Pampers: les Active Fit, les Simply Dry et les Premium Protection. Deux paquets ont carrément été notés «très insuffisant»: les Pampers Baby Dry et les Baby Eco Planet de Carrefour.

Among the 8 unsatisfactory label, we find ... (see list) 2 packs have been found totally unsatisfactory ....(see list above).
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09.03.2017, 19:21
LisaPickles's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Schwerzenbach, ZH
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 2 Posts
LisaPickles has no particular reputation at present
Re: Questions about Pampers, Nappies, Diapers etc

Hi! I have tried Pingo ones and found them really stiff and scratchy. The Lidl ones feel just as soft and stay as dray as the old (none smelly) Pampers. I tried the Lidl ones first only during the day but accidentally grabbed one whilst changing during the night and it held. So no I mostly use them.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10.03.2017, 11:28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 270
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 189 Times in 110 Posts
mgosia is considered knowledgeablemgosia is considered knowledgeablemgosia is considered knowledgeable
Re: Questions about Pampers, Nappies, Diapers etc

Pampers active fit keep our little princess the dryest in my opinion, never any rash or redness, even after a postponed nappy change. No smells whatsoever. I am not hauling a toddler and all my luggage through the train to find a changing table that might or might not exist so do it on the seats if necessary - in an empty part of the train or I warn my fellow passengers ahead
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10.03.2017, 14:31
LisaPickles's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Schwerzenbach, ZH
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 2 Posts
LisaPickles has no particular reputation at present
Re: Teacher training?

Oh yes: I've never searched for a changing table on a train. Now the youngest is walking I just change him standing up if I really need to do it on a train
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
changing on a train, diaper brands, magical pods, nappies, pampers




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cloth Diapers/nappies Amski Family matters/health 6 10.06.2016 15:12
For sale: Pampers diapers Size 2 - ZH mylestubZH Items for sale 3 20.10.2015 09:53
Cloth nappies / diapers SwissMommy Family matters/health 48 24.01.2014 12:03
Half-price Pampers nappies/diapers 22 yards Family matters/health 8 14.06.2013 17:07
Pampers Size 3 Nappies [ZH] buono Items for sale 1 24.09.2012 21:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0