Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12.03.2017, 21:27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 57
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 45 Times in 20 Posts
amandals8879 has earned some respectamandals8879 has earned some respect
Toddler Passport photos

Hello everyone,

I am needing to get a id card done for my daughter. She is two years old and I am finding it very difficult to get a decent photo of her by myself that would be accepted. Does anyone have any advice about how to take a good toddler photo for passports and ids. I am also open to any suggestions that anyone might have for professionals that can take good id photos, especially when it comes to children and around the Zürich area. Any suggestions I would greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12.03.2017, 21:45
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 655
Groaned at 41 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 835 Times in 372 Posts
marischi has a reputation beyond reputemarischi has a reputation beyond reputemarischi has a reputation beyond reputemarischi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Toddler Passport photos

Ask at the Embassy of your choice. They will tell you what to do.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12.03.2017, 22:15
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 4,682
Groaned at 102 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 6,827 Times in 2,541 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Toddler Passport photos

We took a load of photographs of our son when he was a baby and put them on a CD - took them to a local photo shop who had a list of requirements for each of the different countries' passport requirements. They picked the best one and printed it the right size. Worked for UK and Netherlands passports.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 13.03.2017, 08:56
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 2,222
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,163 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Toddler Passport photos

Quote:
View Post
Hello everyone,

I am needing to get a id card done for my daughter. She is two years old and I am finding it very difficult to get a decent photo of her by myself that would be accepted. Does anyone have any advice about how to take a good toddler photo for passports and ids. I am also open to any suggestions that anyone might have for professionals that can take good id photos, especially when it comes to children and around the Zürich area. Any suggestions I would greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance.
What are the rules that you can't meet? Most ID requirements are less strict for young children.

All you need is an off-white wall and plenty of light (don't use a flash, too many shadows). It's also easier with a narrow aperture on your SLR or a nowadays a good phone camera, you don't want depth of field on this sort of factual picture.

Possibly she is reacting to your stress which is only going to get worse. I'd suggest sitting her in front of the necessary background and playing with her for a bit, then move back to get the camera, get her to look up, and shoot.

TBH my kids looked like grumpy criminals in all their early ID photos - I think that's normal, then they can look back at them and complain later

And I've printed them all myself - a good inkjet printer gives photos that are perfectly adequate for that purpose.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank newtoswitz for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 13.03.2017, 09:04
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 57
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 45 Times in 20 Posts
amandals8879 has earned some respectamandals8879 has earned some respect
Re: Toddler Passport photos

Quote:
View Post
What are the rules that you can't meet? Most ID requirements are less strict for young children.

All you need is an off-white wall and plenty of light (don't use a flash, too many shadows). It's also easier with a narrow aperture on your SLR or a nowadays a good phone camera, you don't want depth of field on this sort of factual picture.

Possibly she is reacting to your stress which is only going to get worse. I'd suggest sitting her in front of the necessary background and playing with her for a bit, then move back to get the camera, get her to look up, and shoot.

TBH my kids looked like grumpy criminals in all their early ID photos - I think that's normal, then they can look back at them and complain later

And I've printed them all myself - a good inkjet printer gives photos that are perfectly adequate for that purpose.
It is for the Swiss id. It is very possible that she is reacting to my stress. Thanks for your suggestions and I will keep on trying.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 13.03.2017, 09:17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
UrbanWarrior has no particular reputation at present
Re: Toddler Passport photos

If it is for the Swiss ID, they have everything set up at the passport office and some more senior ladies are always really excited to help with the baby/toddler pictures. They have lots of tips on taking their picture
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 13.03.2017, 09:23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Toddler Passport photos

We just made a Swiss ID + Pass for our son. Since we also ordered the passport, they had to make a special photo (I guess with some biometric data in it). The photo was taken at the official place where adults give their finger prints and get their photo taken. The seat where an adult normally sits folds away and there is a place where you can lay down your baby, with a camera mounted from above.

So I guess one possibility, although an expensive one, would be to order the "Kombi" IDK+Pass, 78chf instead of 35chf, then you don't need to bring your own photo.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 13.03.2017, 09:27
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,076
Groaned at 290 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 15,687 Times in 8,731 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Toddler Passport photos

Quote:
View Post
We just made a Swiss ID + Pass for our son. Since we also ordered the passport, they had to make a special photo (I guess with some biometric data in it). The photo was taken at the official place where adults give their finger prints and get their photo taken. The seat where an adult normally sits folds away and there is a place where you can lay down your baby, with a camera mounted from above.

So I guess one possibility, although an expensive one, would be to order the "Kombi" IDK+Pass, 78chf instead of 35chf, then you don't need to bring your own photo.
Biometric data can be taken from any photo, nothing special. Just measuring proportions of eyes nose & face.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 13.03.2017, 09:42
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Toddler Passport photos

Quote:
View Post
Biometric data can be taken from any photo, nothing special. Just measuring proportions of eyes nose & face.
Yes, but I guess they prefer to take it with their special cameras. It's clearly stated in the instructions, that if you are ordering a passport, you need to take the photo at the passport office and you don't need to bring your own.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 13.03.2017, 09:57
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 11,127
Groaned at 168 Times in 145 Posts
Thanked 15,808 Times in 6,415 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Toddler Passport photos

Quote:
View Post
... a good inkjet printer gives photos that are perfectly adequate for that purpose.
But make sure you use the right paper. For UK passports for example, the photo must be "on plain white photographic paper."
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 31.03.2017, 23:35
PTZ PTZ is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
PTZ has no particular reputation at present
Re: Toddler Passport photos

We had the same problem with our then 2-year-old son and went to Foto Beyeler (or something similar) near Stadelhofen. The lady, probably the owner, was very patient and she managed to take a good photo after cca 5-10 minutes of preparation and crying =).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank PTZ for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 31.03.2017, 23:44
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 57
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 45 Times in 20 Posts
amandals8879 has earned some respectamandals8879 has earned some respect
Re: Toddler Passport photos

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ended up taking her to the passport office in Zürich and having them do it there. The woman that took the photos did it very quickly with no problems. I only had to stand in the photo booth with the little one and tell her a couple of times to "look at that" to get her to look at the camera directly. The woman took 3 photos and two of them were acceptable. The whole process was very fast.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amandals8879 for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 08.09.2017, 22:02
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Kilchberg
Posts: 6
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
psilveira has become a little unpopularpsilveira has become a little unpopular
Re: Toddler Passport photos

I have been taking the pictures of my son.
For that I use a white wall and ensure there is no shadow.

Additionally, I use lightroom to edit a little bit (e.g. decrease possible shadow or centralize the picture).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
children, passport photo, toddler




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US Passport photos Nev Permits/visas/government 11 27.07.2017 15:30
5*5cm Passport photos niha Other/general 15 19.09.2013 08:28
Canadian passport photos JanerMacP Permits/visas/government 12 07.10.2010 11:14
canadian passport photos cute_seal Permits/visas/government 2 25.04.2009 08:30
Passport Photos - Lausanne nickolaus Other/general 5 07.06.2007 13:47


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0