Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14.08.2017, 12:58
MFS MFS is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Basel
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 12 Posts
MFS has earned some respectMFS has earned some respect
Change married name after moving to Switzerland

Hi All,

Some advice would be appreciated on my wife's scenario. I've tried searching for name change threads but couldn't find (or somehow overlooked) this specific scenario.

She would like to change her passport to my surname. As we've already booked multiple flights to and from Switzerland over the coming months due to family occasions, we're looking at the possibility of changing her passport name after we move to Switzerland.

Will this pose a problem? Will it be possible to update her B permit at a later date to reflect the name change? Is it even required?

I assume having a passport name (her main form of ID) which differs to her permit name or residence card may cause difficulties for changing anything down the line such as opening additional bank accounts, purchasing a utility service, job changes, giving birth etc?

Some background:

- Both of us are EU Citizens (same nationality)
- Married in our country of residence and nationality
- Moving to Basel in October (undecided yet whether it's Stadt or Landschaft)
- Both of us will have B permits

Any advice, links, further reading or previous experience would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14.08.2017, 13:05
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 16,879
Groaned at 291 Times in 241 Posts
Thanked 14,311 Times in 7,993 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change married name after moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Hi All,

Some advice would be appreciated on my wife's scenario. I've tried searching for name change threads but couldn't find (or somehow overlooked) this specific scenario.

She would like to change her passport to my surname. As we've already booked multiple flights to and from Switzerland over the coming months due to family occasions, we're looking at the possibility of changing her passport name after we move to Switzerland.

Will this pose a problem? Will it be possible to update her B permit at a later date to reflect the name change? Is it even required?

I assume having a passport name (her main form of ID) which differs to her permit name or residence card may cause difficulties for changing anything down the line such as opening additional bank accounts, purchasing a utility service, job changes, giving birth etc?

Some background:

- Both of us are EU Citizens (same nationality)
- Married in our country of residence and nationality
- Moving to Basel in October (undecided yet whether it's Stadt or Landschaft)
- Both of us will have B permits

Any advice, links, further reading or previous experience would be much appreciated!
If your country of citizenship accepts a name change, so will Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 14.08.2017, 13:15
MFS MFS is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Basel
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 12 Posts
MFS has earned some respectMFS has earned some respect
Re: Change married name after moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
If your country of citizenship accepts a name change, so will Switzerland.
Thank you for your reply. Our country of citizenship does accept a name change once the desired name is on the marriage certificate.

So, it would not be an issue - perhaps only an administrative headache - to change her relevant Swiss documents such as permit name, at a later point?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14.08.2017, 13:29
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 16,879
Groaned at 291 Times in 241 Posts
Thanked 14,311 Times in 7,993 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change married name after moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Thank you for your reply. Our country of citizenship does accept a name change once the desired name is on the marriage certificate.

So, it would not be an issue - perhaps only an administrative headache - to change her relevant Swiss documents such as permit name, at a later point?
Why do you think it would be an administrative headache? Go to your town hall & tell them...... it's that simple.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 14.08.2017, 13:35
MFS MFS is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Basel
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 12 Posts
MFS has earned some respectMFS has earned some respect
Re: Change married name after moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Why do you think it would be an administrative headache? Go to your town hall & tell them...... it's that simple.
Having not lived there yet and having never lived in a country that may have many procedural differences depending on your community or region, it's all new to me. Hence my use of 'perhaps'

Thanks again for your responses, it's good to know that it is possible.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank MFS for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 14.08.2017, 14:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 4,140
Groaned at 213 Times in 172 Posts
Thanked 4,304 Times in 2,197 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change married name after moving to Switzerland

Perhaps it's easier to see how much it would cost for a name change for her tickets, then you can get a new passport in your own country, and on arrival in Switzerland there's nothing left to be arranged for this.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 14.08.2017, 14:24
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 24,860
Groaned at 1,452 Times in 1,119 Posts
Thanked 28,669 Times in 13,704 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change married name after moving to Switzerland

The Swiss won't care about a name change, as it's normal here when marrying.

The plane tickets, on the other hand, may pose a problem.

Tom

Last edited by st2lemans; 14.08.2017 at 18:01.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 14.08.2017, 14:44
MFS MFS is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Basel
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 12 Posts
MFS has earned some respectMFS has earned some respect
Re: Change married name after moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Perhaps it's easier to see how much it would cost for a name change for her tickets, then you can get a new passport in your own country, and on arrival in Switzerland there's nothing left to be arranged for this.
Most of the flights have been booked with Lufthansa which according to their website, do not permit name changes. So we would have to cancel the booking or at least my wife's ticket and pay again. I agree that this would be the most straight forward option. Our fault for beginning to integrate ahead of time and organise our visits home

Quote:
View Post
The Swiss won't care about a name change, as it's normal here when marrying.

The plane tickets, on the other hane, may pose a problem.

Tom
Just to clarify in case there was any misunderstanding, we are already married rather than planning to get married. It seems though that this also won't be a problem, which is great!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 14.08.2017, 14:52
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS
Posts: 7,096
Groaned at 224 Times in 166 Posts
Thanked 11,368 Times in 5,009 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change married name after moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Just to clarify in case there was any misunderstanding, we are already married rather than planning to get married. It seems though that this also won't be a problem, which is great!
My wife also left her passport, and therefore all Swiss documentation, in her maiden name when she moved over here, and there was indeed no problem, but some incidental costs, to get everything changed later when the passport needed renaming anyway. Be aware that each official change, e.g the B permit, the driving licence, car registration etc. will incur a fee, usually something like 40chf or so, so your savings may not be quite as much as you think.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 14.08.2017, 14:56
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 8,471
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 12,940 Times in 6,056 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change married name after moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
The Swiss won't care about a name change, as it's normal here when marrying.

The plane tickets, on the other hane, may pose a problem.
To be clear, they don't care about the type of name change that OP is asking about - i.e. that she takes his last name as her own. Since the last few years they get picky about other types of changes such as combining names. There are a few threads on that.

MFS, when I first arrived in Switzerland everything was done under my maiden name - rental contract, insurance, driver's license, residence permit, etc. It took months for me to get an updated passport with the married name so I traveled under my maiden name until I had all the paperwork ready to switch.

I did have to pay a small fee for the name change to the residence permit, and driver's license but no issue with the rental contract or insurance.

She may find it handy to have a few certified copies of your marriage certificate to show if asked. I showed mine more than once, and the municipality kept one copy so I was glad I had multiples.

Congrats on your marriage and good luck with your move.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 14.08.2017, 15:22
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,886
Groaned at 99 Times in 90 Posts
Thanked 8,769 Times in 4,375 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change married name after moving to Switzerland

I think the easiest is to talk to the airline and ask them what to do in the case of marriage name change. I imagine they have dealt with this before.

I'm sure it will be easier to provide proof to the airline than to change again all the info in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 14.08.2017, 15:25
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 16,879
Groaned at 291 Times in 241 Posts
Thanked 14,311 Times in 7,993 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change married name after moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I think the easiest is to talk to the airline and ask them what to do in the case of marriage name change. I imagine they have dealt with this before.

I'm sure it will be easier to provide proof to the airline than to change again all the info in Switzerland.
Most airlines will change to change a name on a ticket is the issue at hand.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 14.08.2017, 17:57
foliorose's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Zürich Seefeld
Posts: 378
Groaned at 13 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 306 Times in 146 Posts
foliorose has earned some respectfoliorose has earned some respect
Re: Change married name after moving to Switzerland

I did this and it was not a huge problem. My case was even weirder because I waited until we'd been married for five years to finally change my name. Now I still use both names (maiden professionally and online and married in my personal life) and it's constantly confusing. HA! But, the long and short is once she has the new passport, take both the old and new passports (or send a side-by-side copy) everywhere you need to change the name and it's as easy as that. Mostly it's just tedious!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank foliorose for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 14.08.2017, 18:34
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 9,239
Groaned at 72 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 13,809 Times in 6,158 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change married name after moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Having not lived there yet and having never lived in a country that may have many procedural differences depending on your community or region, it's all new to me. Hence my use of 'perhaps'
The perhaps part: Most government stuff in Switzerland is quite fast (safe a few things, like getting the permit initially, but not the "DMV"). On the other hand there is a charge for this easy service. Literally. Either on the spot or by a payment slip sent by mail.

For how to pay such a slip, see: https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-...pay-bills.html
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 14.08.2017, 23:35
MFS MFS is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Basel
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 12 Posts
MFS has earned some respectMFS has earned some respect
Re: Change married name after moving to Switzerland

Thank you all for the helpful replies. My wife will now likely be getting a job offer soon so that combined with the fact her name can easily be changed later, cemented the decision to wait until after the move. We'll wait until spring when our flights are out of the way. Cheers EF.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 15.08.2017, 13:31
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,886
Groaned at 99 Times in 90 Posts
Thanked 8,769 Times in 4,375 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change married name after moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Most airlines will change to change a name on a ticket is the issue at hand.
I wasn't suggesting she change the name on the ticket. I suggest she bring proof she is both people. Both old and new passport and marriage certificate.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 15.08.2017, 13:36
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 16,879
Groaned at 291 Times in 241 Posts
Thanked 14,311 Times in 7,993 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change married name after moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I wasn't suggesting she change the name on the ticket. I suggest she bring proof she is both people. Both old and new passport and marriage certificate.
That won't work if passports are checked at boarding as name on passport must match boarding pass. API is required for many flights.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 18.03.2018, 21:13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
tob1cts has no particular reputation at present
Re: Change married name after moving to Switzerland

I have changed my maiden surname to that of my husband's surname after 8yrs of marriage on my passport (Non EU). Can anyone of you pls guide me the process on how to proceed?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 18.03.2018, 21:16
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 24,860
Groaned at 1,452 Times in 1,119 Posts
Thanked 28,669 Times in 13,704 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change married name after moving to Switzerland

Take your passport and permit to the local foreigner office.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Name change process after Namenserkaerung kar84 Permits/visas/government 5 30.03.2016 20:10
Passport/Permit name change after marriage kiwiguy08 Permits/visas/government 2 01.11.2011 09:39
name change (to married name) on GB passport Rory Permits/visas/government 3 12.09.2011 00:12
Dual nationality and name change after marriage Monkey72 Permits/visas/government 6 06.06.2011 19:55
Married name change in B permit, any idea? gcd1385 Permits/visas/government 8 24.05.2011 10:26


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0