Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #141  
Old 01.07.2010, 09:34
oldmanc's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ex-CH-8058 Now in the Sandpit
Posts: 376
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 410 Times in 164 Posts
oldmanc is considered knowledgeableoldmanc is considered knowledgeableoldmanc is considered knowledgeable
Worried. Actually, very worried...

Today, my 4 year old woke up with a small black insect fixed to his upper left chest half-way between the shoulder and nipple.

We didn't take it out.
Wife is at Doctor with him right now.

He is not injected.

He'd been playing in the grass under a tree watching his older brother at football practice last night.

We can't believe we didn't spot it last night when we got him down to bed (without shower/bath).

Let's see what happens now...yes, we're worried.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 01.07.2010, 09:49
oldmanc's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ex-CH-8058 Now in the Sandpit
Posts: 376
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 410 Times in 164 Posts
oldmanc is considered knowledgeableoldmanc is considered knowledgeableoldmanc is considered knowledgeable
Re: Ticks in the forest, and vaccination

Tick removed by Doctor with a tool which looked like this

http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/...tion/tools.htm

Doctor gave our boy the Zecken injection.

We wait 2-5 weeks and ensure there's no swelling or redness else it's Antiobiotics.

Hope this is useful for others - I still don't understand how we missed seeing the little b*stard animal when we got him undressed last night...
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 01.07.2010, 09:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lugano
Posts: 6,502
Groaned at 128 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 7,880 Times in 3,673 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Worried. Actually, very worried...

Quote:
View Post
Today, my 4 year old woke up with a small black insect fixed to his upper left chest half-way between the shoulder and nipple.

We didn't take it out.
Wife is at Doctor with him right now.

He is not injected.

He'd been playing in the grass under a tree watching his older brother at football practice last night.

We can't believe we didn't spot it last night when we got him down to bed (without shower/bath).

Let's see what happens now...yes, we're worried.
Easier said than done but try not to worry. They are tiny and easy to miss, particularly in the scalp if you have long hair. Wearing a hat is a good idea. Vaccination is highly recommended.

You don't have to be in the forest to get a tick bite.

Hope your son is fine. (and the parents too).
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 14.05.2011, 23:22
telandy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 2,060
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 634 Times in 378 Posts
telandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputation
Re: Ticks in the forest, and vaccination

Just pulled 5 ticks of our twin boys in two days, so please look for the black dots that look so small that they can be mistaken for nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 14.05.2011, 23:33
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ticks in the forest, and vaccination

Never ever 'pull' - get a proper tool from the chemist's, just in case- and always twist very carefully, not leaving the head or any parts behind. You can also smother thickly with vaseline to suffocate the little blighters.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 15.05.2011, 08:45
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ticks in the forest, and vaccination

What I do to pull ticks off is put a dallop of hand sanitizer on them and let it sit for about 5 seconds. Then they will release to try and get away from the alcohol. Hand sanitizer adds an additional bonus because if it is thick enough it will also suffocate them.
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 15.05.2011, 09:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ticks in the forest, and vaccination

Quote:
Never ever 'pull' - get a proper tool from the chemist's, just in case- and always twist very carefully, not leaving the head or any parts behind. You can also smother thickly with vaseline to suffocate the little blighters.
Quote:
View Post
What I do to pull ticks off is put a dallop of hand sanitizer on them and let it sit for about 5 seconds. Then they will release to try and get away from the alcohol. Hand sanitizer adds an additional bonus because if it is thick enough it will also suffocate them.
Beware...

Quote:
Don't try to burn the tick or smother it with Vaseline etc..
Once that tick is firmly fastened in place, it takes time for the tick to detach itself and depart. No matter how badly the tick may wish to leave quickly, it simply can’t. A burning cigarette may kill the tick but won’t make it fall off. Ticks can live without air for a long time, so attempts to smother it allow disease transmission to continue for several hours. Anything that upsets or harms the tick without removing it can theoretically cause the tick to regurgitate its stomach contents back into the host, increasing the likelihood of disease transmission.
From here.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #148  
Old 15.05.2011, 09:07
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ticks in the forest, and vaccination

I always find it humorous when the public are advised to get vaccinated or take precautions against the en vogue disease du jour (I don't know to translate that to English so don't hate).

It's either, SARS, H1N1, or a tick disease, for which we absolutely must (so they say) get a preventative vaccine. In reality, the odds of becoming infected without the vaccine are actually quite low. There are other things to be worried about, which we aren't:


The Odds of Injury Requiring Medical Treatment From:
ˇ Lyme's disease: 1-in-18,100
ˇ Snake bite: 1-in-25,300
ˇ West Nile: 1-in-68,500
ˇ Shark attack: 1-in-6,000,000

The Odds of Being a Victim of ...
ˇ Assault by Firearm*: 1-in-325
ˇ Poisoning: 1-in-1,400
ˇ Murder this year: 1-in-16,917
ˇ Strangulation: 1-in-34,424

The Odds of Dying From ...
ˇ Heart disease: 1-in-438
ˇ Cancer this year: 1-in-600
ˇ Staph infection: 1-in-16,146
ˇ Measles: 1-in-300,000,000

The Odds of Dying in ...
ˇ Motor vehicle: 1-in-84
ˇ Motorcyle: 1-in-938
ˇ Bicycle: 1-in-4,472
ˇ Air travel: 1-in-5,552
ˇ Bus: 1-in-94,242
ˇ Train: 1-in-139,617

The Odds of Drowning in ...
ˇ Natural water: 1-in-2,828
ˇ Swimming pool: 1-in-6,031
ˇ Bath tub: 1-in-9,377

The Odds of dying in a ...
ˇ Flood: 1-in-30,000
ˇ Tornado: 1-in-60,000
ˇ Lightning strike: 1-in-83,930
ˇ Earthquake: 1-in-131,890
ˇ Asteroid impact: 1-in-200,000
ˇ Tsunami: 1-in-500,000

The Odds You'll ...
ˇ Be a Victim of ID Theft: 1-in-465
ˇ Have an adverse reaction to a prescription drug: 1-in-3,000
ˇ Be sued by the RIAA for illegal filesharing: 1-in-4,666
ˇ Be wrongly declared dead by a Social Security data mistake:
1-in-23,483
ˇ Die from a food-borne illness this year: 1-in-33,333

The Odds of ...
ˇ Dating a millionaire: 215-to-1
ˇ Writing NYTimes bestseller: 220-to-1
ˇ Finding four-leaf clover on 1st try: 10,000-to-1
ˇ Getting Rich on 'Antiques Roadshow': 60,000-to-1
ˇ Dating a supermodel: 88,000-to-1

The Odds That You...
ˇ Have fallen asleep or have felt very sleepy at work in the last month: 1-in-3
ˇ Work at a job where you never get a paid day off: 1-in-4
ˇ Plan to take sick days this summer to go to the beach or go shopping: 3-in-10
ˇ Do not have health insurance: 1-in-7
ˇ Leave home for your commute to work before 6 a.m. to beat traffic: 1-in-8
Are a practicing nudist: 1-in-6,000
ˇ Will get injured by a toilet this year: 1-in-10,000
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank KeinFranzösisch for this useful post:
  #149  
Old 15.05.2011, 09:14
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ticks in the forest, and vaccination

Quote:
View Post
I always find it humorous when the public are advised to get vaccinated or take precautions against the en vogue disease du jour (I don't know to translate that to English so don't hate).

It's either, SARS, H1N1, or a tick disease, for which we absolutely must (so they say) get a preventative vaccine. In reality, the odds of becoming infected without the vaccine are actually quite low. There are other things to be worried about, which we aren't
That would have been cold comfort to me when I discovered a tick on me when I was 4 months pregnant.

I had to be monitored for 10 very long, very scary days after the removal of the tick.

The transference of either encephalitis or Lyme disease has been around for years; my husband has a tick scar on the back of his head from when he was a child and playing frequently in wooded areas.

It's not really a disease du jour.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 16.05.2011, 02:54
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bassersdorf, zurich
Posts: 29
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts
redsoxfan has earned some respectredsoxfan has earned some respect
Re: Ticks in the forest, and vaccination

Any other recommendations for how to protect toddlers? We are just about to move to Zurich and I'm increasingly having second thoughts as I find out about the horrible wildlife!! Are there mosquitos there too? They love me
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 16.05.2011, 08:42
amyjo's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: zurich
Posts: 36
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 30 Times in 17 Posts
amyjo has no particular reputation at present
Re: Ticks in the forest, and vaccination

Quote:
View Post
Any other recommendations for how to protect toddlers? We are just about to move to Zurich and I'm increasingly having second thoughts as I find out about the horrible wildlife!! Are there mosquitos there too? They love me
I would have to say the "wildlife" around Zurich is quite mild...but that is all relative to where it is you have lived, I suppose. I come from Wisconsin, lived in Montana and moved here from the more the jungle area of Bali...so from my perspective, the "wildlife" is less than I'm used to (especially when camping out in the "wilderness"). As a child we had the daily "tick check" from spring thaw until the winter freeze...and we had ticks pulled off of us on a regular basis. You get used to spotting them...and yes we had scares of rashes appearing...and yes, sadly my mother has contracted Lyme in her later years and has quite serious symptoms from it. But that said...don't let them scare you out of the woods!

I haven't even been bit by a mosquito yet I don't think...but again, I come from a place where I feel that mosquitos are trying to take over the world.

I would say for toddlers...when out walking in the woods (especially in tall grass) have them wear tall socks and/or stuff their pants into their socks and do a check every night before bed...ticks are sneaky little b*st&rds.

Overall, come enjoy Zurich/Switzerland with us...it's beautiful and amazing...and don't be worried about the wildlife...unless you're talking about those down on Langstrasse late at night!
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 24.05.2011, 20:15
olympe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hong Kong now Bern before
Posts: 557
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 245 Times in 156 Posts
olympe is considered knowledgeableolympe is considered knowledgeableolympe is considered knowledgeable
Re: Ticks in the forest, and vaccination

I am thankful to my daugther's teacher today. What I thought was just a bite ( On her neck) turned out to be a tick bite. I noticed the spot about 5 days earlier but thought it was her moluscum which was coming back. The teacher removed the thing out and desinfected it. I just need to check its evolution for the next couple of days.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 25.05.2011, 11:37
5AVeci
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ticks in the forest, and vaccination

Quote:
View Post
Tick removed by Doctor with a tool which looked like this

http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/...tion/tools.htm

Doctor gave our boy the Zecken injection.

We wait 2-5 weeks and ensure there's no swelling or redness else it's Antiobiotics.

Hope this is useful for others - I still don't understand how we missed seeing the little b*stard animal when we got him undressed last night...
I don't think that's the best procedure. Tick after being removed should be send to laboratory to check for variants of lyme disease. During that time one should be taking antibiotics just in case (otherwise it will be too late, as after short time lyme disease becomes incurable). Exactly the same procedure as with being bitten by a dog/fox/wild animal (if one does not have a proof that the animal was rabies free, then has to take a series of injections).

Bear in mind that swelling/redness does not appear in all cases of lyme disease!
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 25.05.2011, 15:40
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Basel, Switzerland
Posts: 102
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Lil'Angel has made some interesting contributions
Re: Ticks in the forest

Quote:
View Post
Ticks are rife in Dübendorf my dog nearly died. She was never the same pup after contacting this virus. Don't sniff at this virus, for your dog, get the jab and walk easy.

Oh god, thats sad, sorry to hear that. I am moving over in July to Reinach and have a little 2 year old dog and 5 year old cat. Both have been vac against rabies and usual flea, worms and other nasties that we had been advised by our vet to do. Thanks for info.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 25.05.2011, 15:48
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ticks in the forest, and vaccination

Quote:
View Post
I always find it humorous when the public are advised to get vaccinated....

blah blah blah
Your point being?

BTW, 1 in 84 chance of dying in a road vehicle?

I must have died several 100 times over then.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 14.06.2011, 10:34
p42's Avatar
p42 p42 is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kanton Schwyz.
Posts: 827
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 420 Times in 269 Posts
p42 has an excellent reputationp42 has an excellent reputationp42 has an excellent reputationp42 has an excellent reputation
Re: Ticks in the forest, and vaccination

Just a warning. The ticks are out in Zug. Our 7 year old picked one up, yesterday we think. Had it taken out yesterday at Kantonspital, as soon as we saw it. The bug was not taken for analysis. Our boy seemed OK this morning.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank p42 for this useful post:
  #157  
Old 14.06.2011, 11:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ticks in the forest, and vaccination

Quote:
View Post
I am thankful to my daugther's teacher today. What I thought was just a bite ( On her neck) turned out to be a tick bite. I noticed the spot about 5 days earlier but thought it was her moluscum which was coming back. The teacher removed the thing out and desinfected it. I just need to check its evolution for the next couple of days.
Correct procedure according to all the doctors in our area as well. Basically you're looking for a red ring around the bite site that typically appears at 1 to 2 weeks and then disappears again. Fortunately, the Lyme disease bacterium takes about 12 hours to begin to be transferred over so as long as you very carefully check yourself / your kids after every forest trip or bit of gardening you should be OK. Encephalitis however gets transferred almost immediately therefore vaccination is the only reasonable protection. Fortunately this is rarer than Lyme.

Quote:
View Post
I don't think that's the best procedure. Tick after being removed should be send to laboratory to check for variants of lyme disease. During that time one should be taking antibiotics just in case (otherwise it will be too late, as after short time lyme disease becomes incurable). Exactly the same procedure as with being bitten by a dog/fox/wild animal (if one does not have a proof that the animal was rabies free, then has to take a series of injections).

Bear in mind that swelling/redness does not appear in all cases of lyme disease!
No reputable doctor will give antibiotics "just in case" for Lyme. Living in the country I know many people who have been bitten, most of whom contacted a doctor and of whom only a fraction (4) contacted Lyme. Of these 3 were treated quickly and have no ill effects, the 4th only detected the bite much later and had months of antibiotics but is also now fine (~4 years later).
BTW there is NO rabies in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 14.06.2011, 11:36
5AVeci
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ticks in the forest, and vaccination

Quote:
No reputable doctor will give antibiotics "just in case" for Lyme. Living in the country I know many people who have been bitten, most of whom contacted a doctor and of whom only a fraction (4) contacted Lyme. Of these 3 were treated quickly and have no ill effects, the 4th only detected the bite much later and had months of antibiotics but is also now fine (~4 years later).
BTW there is NO rabies in Switzerland.
Just few hundred km north east almost significant fraction of bites end in Lyme disease (and 10 years ago it was only few promiles). Lyme disease range is increasing rapidly, yet the doctors ignorance is amazing.

And how many do not even know that they've got it? It can take years to manifest itself.
People you've mentioned are still carrying Lyme (as Western Blot or polymerase test would show). It might reactivate when their immune system is weakened or just manifest itself by general 'weakness', 'tiredness' or neurological pains.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 14.06.2011, 22:24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ticks in the forest, and vaccination

Quote:
View Post
Lyme disease range is increasing rapidly, yet the doctors ignorance is amazing.
Can't speak for Geneva but here all the doctors I know are very well versed on Lyme disease and are working hard to communicate it to their patients. Perhaps a consequence of living in one of the worst areas of Switzerland for tick borne infections generally Then again given you seem to think there's a rabies risk in Switzerland perhaps I shouldn't worry about your opinion of Swiss doctors.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 26.06.2011, 22:18
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,799
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ticks in the forest, and vaccination

help please my husband just said his leg was bothering him, and when he showed me he had a tick (looked dead kind of gray) i removed it, but could not tell if it still had a head, his leg as a lump and very red around, he was in the forest on Wednesday, the only time he could of gotten the bite, i have tired researching the internet, but i am in too much of a panic to find something i know some of you can help me on here please thanks.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
forest, ticks, walking, zecken




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ticks - Dog related PlantHead Pet corner 50 22.04.2010 06:13
Picking up wood in a forest telandy Daily life 12 18.02.2008 16:14


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0