Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12.11.2019, 20:16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 30
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Juice has earned some respectJuice has earned some respect
Cataract Surgery - Zürich

Hello All,

I realised I openned the third thread regarding cataract because I need some advice regarding clinic and eye surgent in Zürich.

My husband will need to be operated from one eye and we have the option to do the operation in our home country. Obviously we will pay it from our pocket. But it will cost less compared to here. I know compulsory insurance covers 90% if the operation is done in CH. We have supplementary insurance but I guess this is not related to that. We have been told that compulsory (basic) insurance does not cover some premium lenses and laser technique which is used to do a more precise cut in the eye to replace the lense.
I have the following questions:

1-Does anyone have a recent experience as to what is not covered by the insurance?
2- Would you advice to go to another country considering the post operation activities?
3- Any experience with Augenklinik within Hirslanden Seefeld or any other advice as to ethical and successful surgent?

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12.11.2019, 21:25
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,994
Groaned at 324 Times in 260 Posts
Thanked 17,335 Times in 9,467 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cataract Surgery - Zürich

Be careful with eyes, I would go to London but not many other places. Skill of surgeon is key.

Quote:
View Post
Hello All,

I realised I openned the third thread regarding cataract because I need some advice regarding clinic and eye surgent in Zürich.

My husband will need to be operated from one eye and we have the option to do the operation in our home country. Obviously we will pay it from our pocket. But it will cost less compared to here. I know compulsory insurance covers 90% if the operation is done in CH. We have supplementary insurance but I guess this is not related to that. We have been told that compulsory (basic) insurance does not cover some premium lenses and laser technique which is used to do a more precise cut in the eye to replace the lense.
I have the following questions:

1-Does anyone have a recent experience as to what is not covered by the insurance?
2- Would you advice to go to another country considering the post operation activities?
3- Any experience with Augenklinik within Hirslanden Seefeld or any other advice as to ethical and successful surgent?

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 12.11.2019, 21:47
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cataract Surgery - Zürich

My husband’s had retinal tear/detachment in both eyes, and cataract repair. There are lots of good doctors here, but if you don’t have vision coverage, insurance won’t pay much for lenses themselves. All the surgery is covered. Most of my husband’s work was done in Bern at the Lindenhof, and he’s thinking about going to Uni Zurich for the next round of stuff - he needs another lens replacement in one eye.

So we’ve had good experiences with surgery, just haven’t used that clinic.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 12.11.2019, 21:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 6,760
Groaned at 60 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 9,662 Times in 3,977 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cataract Surgery - Zürich

Quote:
View Post
2- Would you advice to go to another country ...
No.
If at all possible, I'd say it is best to have the surgery near where you live, in the same/nearest city. Or - if there is a particular medical reason to get the work done by a certain specialist in that field, then in another city within no more than an hour or a few hours by train from where you live.

Last edited by doropfiz; 12.11.2019 at 23:10.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 12.11.2019, 22:33
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 10,281
Groaned at 29 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 23,404 Times in 7,411 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cataract Surgery - Zürich

Here's a Beobachter article from 2018 discussing what the standard insurance does, and does not, pay for:
https://www.beobachter.ch/geld/krank...e-krankenkasse

And two from SRF 'Espresso':
https://www.srf.ch/sendungen/kassens...rden-verguetet

https://www.srf.ch/news/panorama/teu...s-grauen-stars

And an interesting discussion of how recent changes to the tariff system for cateract operations have affected providers, and thus patients:
https://www.luzernerzeitung.ch/zentr...chten-ld.92584

Primary take-away from all of the above:

Get a cost estimate from your doctor, and speak with the KK well in advance to clarify what exactly you can expect them to cover.


Wishing you all the best... from one who is putting off the op as long as I can.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 13.11.2019, 08:11
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,216
Groaned at 107 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,013 Times in 674 Posts
Busby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cataract Surgery - Zürich

I had both eyes done at the beginning of the year with about 4 weeks between each eye. This was done locally and I followed the instructions to the letter. From going in to coming out it took half an hour each time. It has taken some time for my brain to adjust to the new situation. I do (so to speak) read with my left eye and drive with my right. I no longer need glasses to drive but am helped by having glasses to read. Initially it was quite startling just how bright the world was. I do however need to wear sunglasses if it gets too bright to avoid watering and smarting.


The whole procedure cost the KK about Sfr.7000. However at my age I don't need anything special so chose bog standard lenses which prove to be quite adequate for my needs.


I was slightly worried about the procedure as I have a dry macular degeneration in the right eye but this hasn't been affected and has stayed stable.

Last edited by Busby; 13.11.2019 at 08:31.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Busby for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 13.11.2019, 11:01
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 75
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 103 Times in 54 Posts
Lasers pew pew pew is considered knowledgeableLasers pew pew pew is considered knowledgeableLasers pew pew pew is considered knowledgeable
Re: Cataract Surgery - Zürich

Out of curiosity, how unpleasant is the procedure?
I hope I'm years away from needing it but the fact I find the glaucoma air test uncomfortable has me dreading a cataract procedure.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Lasers pew pew pew for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 13.11.2019, 15:50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 30
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Juice has earned some respectJuice has earned some respect
Re: Cataract Surgery - Zürich

I will look at those links. Thank you very much.

Quote:
View Post
Here's a Beobachter article from 2018 discussing what the standard insurance does, and does not, pay for:
https://www.beobachter.ch/geld/krank...e-krankenkasse

And two from SRF 'Espresso':
https://www.srf.ch/sendungen/kassens...rden-verguetet

https://www.srf.ch/news/panorama/teu...s-grauen-stars

And an interesting discussion of how recent changes to the tariff system for cateract operations have affected providers, and thus patients:
https://www.luzernerzeitung.ch/zentr...chten-ld.92584

Primary take-away from all of the above:

Get a cost estimate from your doctor, and speak with the KK well in advance to clarify what exactly you can expect them to cover.


Wishing you all the best... from one who is putting off the op as long as I can.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 13.11.2019, 17:50
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,004
Groaned at 156 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 6,239 Times in 2,863 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cataract Surgery - Zürich

Quote:
View Post
Out of curiosity, how unpleasant is the procedure?
I hope I'm years away from needing it but the fact I find the glaucoma air test uncomfortable has me dreading a cataract procedure.
It really is no worse that a filling at the dentist from a pain point of view . The eye is numbed and held in place so there really is not much to do but lie back and let it happen. What did freak me out though was the removal and replacement of the lens. I went from poor sight, to just a kaleidoscope of colour to suddenly a much clear vision and then complete darkness as they put on the eye patch....
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
cataract, zurich




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My wife has cataract, I need help :-( need help Family matters/health 100 08.09.2019 03:40
Sinuses surgery FESS - insurance probably not cover - travel for surgery abroad? Helele Family matters/health 29 24.06.2018 00:43
Cataract Surgery Laurie C Family matters/health 46 23.03.2018 00:04
Having spinal surgery in Zürich suemck2 Family matters/health 2 05.11.2012 13:57
A thumbs up for Permanence Surgery (HB Zürich) Slaphead Family matters/health 7 04.01.2012 11:29


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0