Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2321  
Old 10.03.2020, 20:02
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 550
Groaned at 47 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 1,065 Times in 442 Posts
terrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
It's an interesting site. Granted, they were often very wrong in the past.

But with COVID19, I was always sure they were dead on.
I think ZeroHedge is an interesting site too; however a lot on the site is utter nonsense and one has to carefully sift through material on the site and reference other sources to determine if it is true or could be true/have relevance.
Reply With Quote
  #2322  
Old 10.03.2020, 20:06
Sky's Avatar
Sky Sky is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere special far away
Posts: 4,139
Groaned at 54 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 6,396 Times in 2,442 Posts
Sky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Don’t know what to say to cheer up.
It breaks my heart to see this through the eyes of my Italian 80 year old mom.
My aunts and uncles are all 70+ and living in Italy.
I am thankful she is here instead of there.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Sky for this useful post:
  #2323  
Old 10.03.2020, 20:14
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 15,005
Groaned at 283 Times in 205 Posts
Thanked 17,433 Times in 9,018 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Oufffff...hope they are doing ok.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #2324  
Old 10.03.2020, 20:50
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,626
Groaned at 99 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 4,621 Times in 1,828 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Mild amusement from 4chan .. which could be true

(direct image since 4chan is naughty)

https://files.catbox.moe/d6elqr.png
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
  #2325  
Old 10.03.2020, 20:56
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,344
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 726 Times in 450 Posts
axman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

If you have booked a vacation and want to cancel, it seems that most travel cancellation insurance will pay your cancellation costs due to pandemics only if the BAG recommends against travel to that particular area. Until a few days ago, the BAG recommended against any travel to China.

Now, the BAG has decided that "There is now a risk of becoming infected with new coronavirus in almost all parts of the world. As of 9 March we will therefore no longer be referring to ‘affected areas’."

So therefore, you cannot claim from your travel cancellation insurance anymore!

The govt and the insurance companies seem to be in cahoots!
Reply With Quote
  #2326  
Old 10.03.2020, 20:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I don't think Klostergirl is underestimating the amount of skill and knowledge needed to care for the elderly - she's merely stating that people don't give the young enough credit for the amount of compassion that they may have when asked to undertake such a task.

Of course getting them to do it in the first place is far from ideal but this isn't really a typical situation and I think we're all going to have to make do somewhere along the line.
I know a lot of young carers. Age isn't the issue, aptitude is. Forcing someone into such a crucial role could have devastating consequences on both sides.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #2327  
Old 10.03.2020, 21:02
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Hahahaha.

Baaaaa. It is not working.



Everything is getting cancelled, all my friends in orchestras and theaters, getting messages of all the stuff being called off. Gotta lift up my spirit.
There's some cracking stuff on Netflix. HTH.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #2328  
Old 10.03.2020, 21:02
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,626
Groaned at 99 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 4,621 Times in 1,828 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
If you have booked a vacation and want to cancel, it seems that most travel cancellation insurance will pay your cancellation costs due to pandemics only if the BAG recommends against travel to that particular area. Until a few days ago, the BAG recommended against any travel to China.

Now, the BAG has decided that "There is now a risk of becoming infected with new coronavirus in almost all parts of the world. As of 9 March we will therefore no longer be referring to ‘affected areas’."

So therefore, you cannot claim from your travel cancellation insurance anymore!

The govt and the insurance companies seem to be in cahoots!
It's the insurance companies who fund your pension pot and keep the government afloat.. Of course they are in cahoots..

Why are the Swiss only testing the sickest people, keeping numbers low to keep the illusion of nothing going on ..

Why is the WHO not calling this a pandemic? Because the world bank would need to pay out $500m in bonds..

There's a HUGE economic element here,
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
  #2329  
Old 10.03.2020, 21:02
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 15,005
Groaned at 283 Times in 205 Posts
Thanked 17,433 Times in 9,018 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Mild amusement from 4chan .. which could be true

(direct image since 4chan is naughty)

https://files.catbox.moe/d6elqr.png
Thanks. That worked.
Reply With Quote
  #2330  
Old 10.03.2020, 21:14
Klostersgirl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Stäfa and Klosters
Posts: 372
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 489 Times in 179 Posts
Klostersgirl has an excellent reputationKlostersgirl has an excellent reputationKlostersgirl has an excellent reputationKlostersgirl has an excellent reputation
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
I know a lot of young carers. Age isn't the issue, aptitude is. Forcing someone into such a crucial role could have devastating consequences on both sides.
Unfortunately this is already the case in CH. The military has two recruitment schools per year and those put into the medical corps are assigned a three week Praktikum which will be in a care home or possibly a hospital. I don't know how much close contact there will be with the care home residents, but I think some is expected from what my son has told me about the training they have had.

Last year alone 15,000 men opted out of the military and are required by law to do a 390 day civil duty (I erroneously stated 360 days previously). The civil duty can be in a care home along with lots of other options. It just seems to me that there's a potential good resource of men here who could be very useful in the current circumstances and who are bound to perform a public service anyway.

The military is pretty stupid, but I don't think they would let anyone loose who is really unsuitable. I doubt anyone would want or expect a young man to perform an intimate caring task on an elderly lady for example, but at least their service might free up the time of the qualified nursing staff.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Klostersgirl for this useful post:
  #2331  
Old 10.03.2020, 21:15
VFR on top's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Used to be Basel.
Posts: 1,097
Groaned at 32 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,419 Times in 904 Posts
VFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
It's the insurance companies who fund your pension pot and keep the government afloat.. Of course they are in cahoots..

Why are the Swiss only testing the sickest people, keeping numbers low to keep the illusion of nothing going on ..

Why is the WHO not calling this a pandemic? Because the world bank would need to pay out $500m in bonds..

There's a HUGE economic element here,
Conspiracy theory: COVID-19 engineered on behalf of insurance industry to cull pre-existing conditions/costly age-related payouts.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank VFR on top for this useful post:
  #2332  
Old 10.03.2020, 21:17
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 15,005
Groaned at 283 Times in 205 Posts
Thanked 17,433 Times in 9,018 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Conspiracy theory: COVID-19 engineered on behalf of insurance industry to cull pre-existing conditions/costly age-related payouts.
I say pharma.
Reply With Quote
  #2333  
Old 10.03.2020, 21:28
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,475
Groaned at 62 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 3,602 Times in 1,959 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Mom is in Fuerteventura this week and next.

No cases there, yet, just the plane and the airports....

This was planned for a long time and will hopefully help against her chronic cough (most likely caused by an anti-epileptic medication).

I didn't want to talk her out of it. Well, I did and then I didn't.
With her pre-existing condition, it's almost a given that she would not survive if she caught it (IMO). If the projections are true, she might as well catch it anyway even when staying at home. But now, she has at least had a long-deserved super-nice vacation - and she has reported that the coughing has almost stopped already...

We will see, however, what kind of world she will return to in 1.5 weeks...
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank rainer_d for this useful post:
  #2334  
Old 10.03.2020, 21:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,281
Groaned at 314 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 13,212 Times in 6,878 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I don't think Klostergirl is underestimating the amount of skill and knowledge needed to care for the elderly - she's merely stating that people don't give the young enough credit for the amount of compassion that they may have when asked to undertake such a task.

Of course getting them to do it in the first place is far from ideal but this isn't really a typical situation and I think we're all going to have to make do somewhere along the line.
Or men. My father in law took care of his (very) old mom till they found a place in a good home for elderly with her issues. He was already a senior himself, who went through serious health issues too. I am thankful he's a strong person.
Sometimes she remembered who he was and was crying because she was too embarrassed her son had to clean her, bathe her etc. "What's the big fuss, mother? You did that for me when I was little too". People can prove incredibly resourceful and compassionate, we all have it in us. But I can agree with RufusB, this type of work as a profession needs a good, adequate training and empathy.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #2335  
Old 10.03.2020, 22:11
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,435
Groaned at 629 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 16,009 Times in 6,267 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

I just read a newspaper article regarding the seizure of masks and other medical necessities by the German government destined for Switzerland. Apparently, the supply of the domestic population supersedes any legalities, seeing as one container with masks was/is located at a bonded warehouse. The gall the Krauts have to even justify such action is beyond my understanding and in my opinion should ensue some drastic consequences and repercussions.
Reply With Quote
  #2336  
Old 10.03.2020, 22:19
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I just read a newspaper article regarding the seizure of masks and other medical necessities by the German government destined for Switzerland. Apparently, the supply of the domestic population supersedes any legalities, seeing as one container with masks was/is located at a bonded warehouse. The gall the Krauts have to even justify such action is beyond my understanding and in my opinion should ensue some drastic consequences and repercussions.
I can see in a way they do not want to have the goods that are already in Germany exported. Even if we don't agree there is something to be said for such, since else we could just overbid German buyers on German stocks and grab a bunch of their stock which they also need themselves, I'm actually fine with such protection. Imagine how we would feel if we read in the paper that we'd have lack of supply since some Swiss firm exported it all to Germany since they would pay 10 cents more per mask. (This is indeed the idea behind the container with masks you refer to)

However that they also seize things we ourselves directly imported from China but are delivered in Hamburg Harbour and from there directly transported to Switzerland meaning the things have never been in German possession is very repulsive behaviour and should not be without consequences. I'd even be willing to toss out the German Ambassador to give a very strong political signal if they will not let that stuff pass.
Reply With Quote
  #2337  
Old 10.03.2020, 22:24
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,294
Groaned at 182 Times in 150 Posts
Thanked 12,655 Times in 6,627 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Mom is in Fuerteventura this week and next.

No cases there, yet, just the plane and the airports....

This was planned for a long time and will hopefully help against her chronic cough (most likely caused by an anti-epileptic medication).

I didn't want to talk her out of it. Well, I did and then I didn't.
With her pre-existing condition, it's almost a given that she would not survive if she caught it (IMO). If the projections are true, she might as well catch it anyway even when staying at home. But now, she has at least had a long-deserved super-nice vacation - and she has reported that the coughing has almost stopped already...

We will see, however, what kind of world she will return to in 1.5 weeks...
She could make a deal with someone who wants to cancel their trip.
That might be a the solution around the insurances-not-paying problem.
Reply With Quote
  #2338  
Old 10.03.2020, 22:25
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,435
Groaned at 629 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 16,009 Times in 6,267 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
I can see in a way they do not want to have the goods that are already in Germany exported. Even if we don't agree there is something to be said for such, since else we could just overbid German buyers on German stocks and grab a bunch of their stock which they also need themselves, I'm actually fine with such protection. Imagine how we would feel if we read in the paper that we'd have lack of supply since some Swiss firm exported it all to Germany since they would pay 10 cents more per mask. (This is indeed the idea behind the container with masks you refer to)

However that they also seize things we ourselves directly imported from China but are delivered in Hamburg Harbour and from there directly transported to Switzerland meaning the things have never been in German possession is very repulsive behaviour and should not be without consequences. I'd even be willing to toss out the German Ambassador to give a very strong political signal if they will not let that stuff pass.
Exactly, if they allocate a certain quantity for the domestic market, nobody would shed a word about it. However, seizing goods which were already sold are a completely different story and in my opinion should warrant a response.
Reply With Quote
  #2339  
Old 10.03.2020, 23:30
swissotter's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,115
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,234 Posts
swissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
We're btw already at 112 different countries/territories that have corona infections.

Still wondering when Turkey will stop denying the obvious.
"Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca announces first coronavirus case in Turkey saying that it is sad but not worrying case.

Koca, in the press conference organized, said that a Turkish citizen, male contracted the virus while travelling to Europe. He also pointed that the patient and his close circle is under control and warned the Turkish people not to travel abroad if it is not necessary."



http://www.milletnews.com/view.php?id=1100


i was also wondering about Turkey, it was beginning to look like the 'Indonesia of Europe'...so now we have one case...
Reply With Quote
  #2340  
Old 11.03.2020, 00:13
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 788
Groaned at 118 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 760 Times in 373 Posts
Noth has earned the respect of manyNoth has earned the respect of manyNoth has earned the respect of many
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I just read a newspaper article regarding the seizure of masks and other medical necessities by the German government destined for Switzerland. Apparently, the supply of the domestic population supersedes any legalities, seeing as one container with masks was/is located at a bonded warehouse. The gall the Krauts have to even justify such action is beyond my understanding and in my opinion should ensue some drastic consequences and repercussions.
I gather you didn't hear about the French government's decision to seize all stocks of masks in the country for government and medical use? That can't have helped things for Switzerland either.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cold, corona, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, flu, health, medical, virus




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0