Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #221  
Old 31.01.2020, 21:20
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 583
Groaned at 60 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 370 Times in 210 Posts
saiya-jin is considered knowledgeablesaiya-jin is considered knowledgeablesaiya-jin is considered knowledgeable
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I claim that glory .. I think I have it.

I was at a popular VD ski resort last weekend, Sat morning I was in a sport shop buying a new helmet at the same time as around 100 (two coach loads) Chinese people were in hiring ski equipment, the shop was packed!! We were in same restos and bars etc at various points.

Since Sun/Mon I've had a crappy cold ..

Do I win?
And so you came to work this week into open space with +-80 people... crappy behavior from you, man. Anyway this virus should have much longer incubation period, so you have only usual stuff.

One advice - next time stay at home. You can work remotely easily. Think about others too.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank saiya-jin for this useful post:
  #222  
Old 01.02.2020, 10:40
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 175 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 12,298 Times in 6,451 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

After seeing that joke, I wondered, why the virus got that name and if Corona beer could not sue re it being their trade-name?

I also noticed, that this virus is far from new and even has been "discussed" briefly on EF in 2013, a time I was not hanging out here.
First reported in Saudi Arabia in 2012.
adrianlondon had a pragmatic solution on how to deal with it. (a member who I kind of miss).

<<There is currently no vaccine or cure for MERS-CoV, and so far it has been fatal in around 36 percent of cases.>> that was 2017. And 2020 there still is none?
__________________
be inventive!

Last edited by curley; 01.02.2020 at 10:51.
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 01.02.2020, 11:32
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 11,481
Groaned at 86 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 17,471 Times in 7,764 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I also noticed, that this virus is far from new and even has been "discussed" briefly on EF in 2013, a time I was not hanging out here.
First reported in Saudi Arabia in 2012.
adrianlondon had a pragmatic solution on how to deal with it. (a member who I kind of miss).
There is an even older variant of the Coronoa Virus: SARS, which made its round in 2003.
https://www.who.int/csr/sars/biosafety2003_12_18/en/
https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus
(Has actually been mentioned a few times in this thread before )

Maybe this time they did not want name it CARS or WARS and used the generic name.
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 01.02.2020, 11:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 7,942
Groaned at 439 Times in 364 Posts
Thanked 9,771 Times in 4,670 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
After seeing that joke, I wondered, why the virus got that name and if Corona beer could not sue re it being their trade-name?

I also noticed, that this virus is far from new and even has been "discussed" briefly on EF in 2013, a time I was not hanging out here.
First reported in Saudi Arabia in 2012.
adrianlondon had a pragmatic solution on how to deal with it. (a member who I kind of miss).

<<There is currently no vaccine or cure for MERS-CoV, and so far it has been fatal in around 36 percent of cases.>> that was 2017. And 2020 there still is none?
There is not just one Coronavirus, it is a whole family of viruses of which each has it's own characteristics and needs its own method of diagnostics and its own medicins, and they also keep mutating constantly, each time a new version comes we have to find new methods to diagnose and cure it.

The same with influenza, each year new versions pop up some pretty weak, others damn strong and the whole battle to make a proper flu-shot starts all over again.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #225  
Old 01.02.2020, 11:37
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,795
Groaned at 2,025 Times in 1,116 Posts
Thanked 5,049 Times in 3,191 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
After seeing that joke, I wondered, why the virus got that name and if Corona beer could not sue re it being their trade-name?

I also noticed, that this virus is far from new and even has been "discussed" briefly on EF in 2013, a time I was not hanging out here.
First reported in Saudi Arabia in 2012.
adrianlondon had a pragmatic solution on how to deal with it. (a member who I kind of miss).

<<There is currently no vaccine or cure for MERS-CoV, and so far it has been fatal in around 36 percent of cases.>> that was 2017. And 2020 there still is none?
No they should sue corona bier. There no virus in this bier. Misrepresentation of product.
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 01.02.2020, 14:06
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,795
Groaned at 2,025 Times in 1,116 Posts
Thanked 5,049 Times in 3,191 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I claim that glory .. I think I have it.

I was at a popular VD ski resort last weekend, Sat morning I was in a sport shop buying a new helmet at the same time as around 100 (two coach loads) Chinese people were in hiring ski equipment, the shop was packed!! We were in same restos and bars etc at various points.

Since Sun/Mon I've had a crappy cold ..

Do I win?
VD ski resort

Corona has got nothing to do with venereal disease!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #227  
Old 02.02.2020, 08:03
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,795
Groaned at 2,025 Times in 1,116 Posts
Thanked 5,049 Times in 3,191 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

They have to do the right thing now and disinfect EVERY item that comes here from China


"Sometime in the space of the galaxy, the tides turn. Nature makes a swift, unnoticed change and just like that, everything changes."

Abstract
The persistence of several types of viruses on hard, inanimate surfaces under different relative humidities, temperatures, and types of surfaces was investigated. No differences in survival on glass, vinyl asbestos tile, ceramic tile, and stainless steel were found. Under conditions of low humidity and room temperature, adenovirus, poliovirus, and herpes simplex virus survived for at least 8 weeks. Vaccinia and coxsackie viruses survived for at least 2 weeks but differences due to surfaces found in many environments, in addition to the laboratory, emphasizes the possible role of hard surfaces in the transmission of viruses.
__________________
The following 3 users would like to thank Omtatsat for this useful post:

President Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, Kim Jong-un
Reply With Quote
This user groans at omtatsat for this post:
  #228  
Old 02.02.2020, 10:02
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,137
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,727 Times in 8,556 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
They have to do the right thing now and disinfect EVERY item that comes here from China


"Sometime in the space of the galaxy, the tides turn. Nature makes a swift, unnoticed change and just like that, everything changes."

Abstract
The persistence of several types of viruses on hard, inanimate surfaces under different relative humidities, temperatures, and types of surfaces was investigated. No differences in survival on glass, vinyl asbestos tile, ceramic tile, and stainless steel were found. Under conditions of low humidity and room temperature, adenovirus, poliovirus, and herpes simplex virus survived for at least 8 weeks. Vaccinia and coxsackie viruses survived for at least 2 weeks but differences due to surfaces found in many environments, in addition to the laboratory, emphasizes the possible role of hard surfaces in the transmission of viruses.
Are you trying to start a panic by not mentioning the topic of this thread, the corona virus?

Quote:
Most viruses from the respiratory tract, such as corona, coxsackie, influenza, SARS or rhino virus, can persist on surfaces for a few days.
Source

Or this more detailed study which says corona virus survival is measured in hours

Name:  CoronaLife.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  56.7 KB

Source
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #229  
Old 02.02.2020, 12:15
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,795
Groaned at 2,025 Times in 1,116 Posts
Thanked 5,049 Times in 3,191 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Are you trying to start a panic by not mentioning the topic of this thread, the corona virus?



Source

Or this more detailed study which says corona virus survival is measured in hours

Attachment 138577

Source

"Most viruses from the respiratory tract, such as corona, coxsackie, influenza, SARS or rhino virus, can persist on surfaces for a few days."
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 02.02.2020, 12:25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 338
Groaned at 26 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 323 Times in 171 Posts
Rjellsch has an excellent reputationRjellsch has an excellent reputationRjellsch has an excellent reputationRjellsch has an excellent reputation
Re: Coronavirus

Just as an observation...

Galaxus has sold out and delisted almost all of its surgical masks and respirators over the past week. Wait times for the items still shown are 4-6 weeks.

Infections show no signs of slowing down in China. If I were dependent on a Chinese supply chain for my health or livelihood, I’d be concerned.
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 02.02.2020, 12:28
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,795
Groaned at 2,025 Times in 1,116 Posts
Thanked 5,049 Times in 3,191 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Just as an observation...

Galaxus has sold out and delisted almost all of its surgical masks and respirators over the past week. Wait times for the items still shown are 4-6 weeks.

Infections show no signs of slowing down in China. If I were dependent on a Chinese supply chain for my health or livelihood, I’d be concerned.
No worries! Its a storm in a teacup

Amazon has plenty of masks
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 02.02.2020, 15:27
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,795
Groaned at 2,025 Times in 1,116 Posts
Thanked 5,049 Times in 3,191 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Wtf!!

Name:  5ca0550c-d765-47be-9e3e-cac570a58f6d.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  60.1 KB
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 02.02.2020, 16:38
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus




Which one is you ?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #234  
Old 02.02.2020, 17:38
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,137
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,727 Times in 8,556 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

A big problem in the US is that many people do not have paid sick leave so go to work when they are sick consequently if a coronavirus infection gets a foothold then it can quickly spread.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #235  
Old 02.02.2020, 17:43
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,795
Groaned at 2,025 Times in 1,116 Posts
Thanked 5,049 Times in 3,191 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
A big problem in the US is that many people do not have paid sick leave so go to work when they are sick consequently if a coronavirus infection gets a foothold then it can quickly spread.
Yes. Big problem in these third world countries!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #236  
Old 02.02.2020, 19:42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 338
Groaned at 26 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 323 Times in 171 Posts
Rjellsch has an excellent reputationRjellsch has an excellent reputationRjellsch has an excellent reputationRjellsch has an excellent reputation
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
A big problem in the US is that many people do not have paid sick leave so go to work when they are sick consequently if a coronavirus infection gets a foothold then it can quickly spread.
US healthcare has been managed for political correctness and bottom-line concerns for the past 40 years or so. There’s not much extra bed capacity or a huge pool of unemployed doctors or trained technicians. If there were a sudden demand for hospitals or urgent care facilities, staffing them would also be a major problem.
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 03.02.2020, 12:58
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 338
Groaned at 26 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 323 Times in 171 Posts
Rjellsch has an excellent reputationRjellsch has an excellent reputationRjellsch has an excellent reputationRjellsch has an excellent reputation
Re: Coronavirus

SRF reporting a Swiss flight attendant with a possible case. Awaiting test results.
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 03.02.2020, 13:23
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,795
Groaned at 2,025 Times in 1,116 Posts
Thanked 5,049 Times in 3,191 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
SRF reporting a Swiss flight attendant with a possible case. Awaiting test results.
I had a bit of a sore throat this morning. Could it be Corona?
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 03.02.2020, 13:39
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 175 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 12,298 Times in 6,451 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I had a bit of a sore throat this morning. Could it be Corona?
I've had that for several weeks now, I must be carrying the Corona of 2013. And considering all the sneezing in the same time I'm definitely highly contagious.
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 03.02.2020, 14:37
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 833
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,051 Times in 502 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

And......it was just a flu. A passenger on a NY-Zürich flight just scared everyone today https://twitter.com/BAG_OFSP_UFSP/st...17453678927873
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
cold, corona, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, flu, health, medical, virus




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0