Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #3481  
Old 16.03.2020, 10:38
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,146
Groaned at 383 Times in 332 Posts
Thanked 15,745 Times in 8,565 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Some random comments!
Got a message from Swiss Post, basically do not expect service as usual.
Tried to telephone a friend at home on Fixnet this morning and got a verbal message I never heard before "all lines are busy try later", Handy call worked OK.

Got a message yesterday from a firm that provides a service for Swiss to collect parcels in Germany, they said they would open at 5 am today so people could get in before the border closed.

My prescription for my regular monthly medicine is held by a German Apotheke so I will have to get another one, a nuisance but not serious. That medicine is not paid by the Krankenkasse and the Swiss price is 6 times the German (no Swiss generic).

I had a registered parcel delivered today but the guy ran away without waiting for my signature.

Difficult times, hopefully, problems will remain at the nuisance level for all of us.
__________________
It is naive to assume my posts are my own work
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #3482  
Old 16.03.2020, 10:39
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Côte
Posts: 1,095
Groaned at 86 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 1,023 Times in 496 Posts
FCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I just checked to them and there's nothing new on their site

What I do see on there recently is almost exactly the opposite



https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardio...ients-in-china
The bulletin cites specificaly:

'Published and anecdotal reports indicate case of acute onset heart failure, myocardial infarction, myocardidits, and cardiac arrest...'

It also goes on to say the following for those who have underlying CVD conditions:

'Make plans for quickly identifying and isolating cardiovascular patients with COVID-19 symptoms from other patients, including in the ambulatory setting

• Patients with underlying cardiovascular disease are at higher risk of contracting COVID-19 and have a worse prognosis'
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank FCBarca for this useful post:
  #3483  
Old 16.03.2020, 10:49
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,695
Groaned at 136 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,241 Times in 2,930 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
The bulletin cites specificaly:

'Published and anecdotal reports indicate case of acute onset heart failure, myocardial infarction, myocardidits, and cardiac arrest...'

It also goes on to say the following for those who have underlying CVD conditions:

'Make plans for quickly identifying and isolating cardiovascular patients with COVID-19 symptoms from other patients, including in the ambulatory setting

• Patients with underlying cardiovascular disease are at higher risk of contracting COVID-19 and have a worse prognosis'
Mind providing a link so we can all see where it comes from?

BTW - what is written above is not new and NOT the same as what was in your earlier quote. It is already well reported that people with underlying conditions have a much worse prognosis.

Oh and patients with CVD are not reported to have a greater risk of contracting COVID-19, just a much worse prognosis if they do get it.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #3484  
Old 16.03.2020, 10:53
CodPeace's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: BaselStadt
Posts: 354
Groaned at 73 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 703 Times in 282 Posts
CodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I just came back from our local Migros (Greifensee), and half the shelves were empty. No toilet paper anywhere, and most of the pasta, milk and meat were gone. The store was also busier than usual for being 10 am. I could see some of the workers frantically trying to get some stuff re-stocked, though it looks like many things can't be. I also saw someone wearing a mask here for the first time (she was walking through the parking lot). I have a feeling we'll be seeing more and more people wearing them.

I think this is just the first day of panic buying, should calm down.
There were NO reports from the locked down countries of ANY shortages of food. There is no reason to expect there will be shortages as all the transport is being kept open.
Reply With Quote
  #3485  
Old 16.03.2020, 10:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,042
Groaned at 308 Times in 251 Posts
Thanked 12,752 Times in 6,667 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I think this is just the first day of panic buying, should calm down.
There were NO reports from the locked down countries of ANY shortages of food. There is no reason to expect there will be shortages as all the transport is being kept open.
There will be shortages for fresh fruits, vegetables, everything we normally import from Italy, Spain etc. And a lot of other places too. You'll realise how important these countries are. Ha.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at greenmount for this post:
  #3486  
Old 16.03.2020, 11:02
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,551
Groaned at 99 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,791 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

What are you doing with the kids ?

Here in VD the announcements to close schools was Friday at 14.30 .. Ten minutes before end of school, so the kids came home with nothing other than their usual couple of hours of homework .

Mine are young and not prepping for exams or anything but we don't have any course work etc, something for them to follow. Would be good to keep them going with something.

Do we expect the schools to issue something? Or we treat this as a holiday..
Reply With Quote
  #3487  
Old 16.03.2020, 11:04
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 218
Groaned at 14 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 448 Times in 266 Posts
leonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Does anybody have LeShop delivery scheduled for today? Do they still deliver? We have the scheduled delivery for March 18th but I am not sure that this order will come to us.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #3488  
Old 16.03.2020, 11:05
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,074
Groaned at 176 Times in 106 Posts
Thanked 935 Times in 464 Posts
V__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
What are you doing with the kids ?

Here in VD the announcements to close schools was Friday at 14.30 .. Ten minutes before end of school, so the kids came home with nothing other than their usual couple of hours of homework .

Mine are young and not prepping for exams or anything but we don't have any course work etc, something for them to follow. Would be good to keep them going with something.

Do we expect the schools to issue something? Or we treat this as a holiday..
It isn't holiday, the school program continues at home. You know schools in VD are closed for 6 weeks?

Your school needs to provide online program and kids to follow at home
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank V__ for this useful post:
  #3489  
Old 16.03.2020, 11:09
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zuriwest
Posts: 6,218
Groaned at 37 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 16,494 Times in 4,310 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Just had a call from a Swiss friend. The govt. are meeting at 12 to discuss closing all bars, clubs and restaurants throughout the country. She expects it to go ahead, probably from tomorrow.

Re panic buying, my cheese shop is almost sold out of cheese (I wasn't expecting that!), Friday and Saturday were crazy busy. The other big sellers have been Gin and Port
Reply With Quote
The following 18 users would like to thank grumpygrapefruit for this useful post:
  #3490  
Old 16.03.2020, 11:11
BLP's Avatar
BLP BLP is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,108
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 576 Times in 360 Posts
BLP has a reputation beyond reputeBLP has a reputation beyond reputeBLP has a reputation beyond reputeBLP has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Just had a call from a Swiss friend. The govt. are meeting at 12 to discuss closing all bars, clubs and restaurants throughout the country. She expects it to go ahead, probably from tomorrow.

Re panic buying, my cheese shop is almost sold out of cheese (I wasn't expecting that!), Friday and Saturday were crazy busy. The other big sellers have been Gin and Port
people are still going to work that could be done from home, any news on that?
Reply With Quote
  #3491  
Old 16.03.2020, 11:11
Sonnenbrand's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Small Farm Outside of Zurich
Posts: 151
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 140 Times in 71 Posts
Sonnenbrand is considered knowledgeableSonnenbrand is considered knowledgeableSonnenbrand is considered knowledgeable
Re: Coronavirus

I went to the local Aldi 7:30 this morning to grab some Coke Zero and a few other items and the parking lot was 90% full and people were buying overloaded shopping carts full of stuff.

Most meat was gone, they did however have lots of frozen fish and fish sticks. No toilet paper or baby wipes, many canned goods were sold out, some of the 6-packs of normally stocked beverages like Valser water were gone. Rest of the store looked normal.

2 Aldi employees stood by & monitored the entrance and exit the entire visit.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sonnenbrand for this useful post:
  #3492  
Old 16.03.2020, 11:12
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,952
Groaned at 341 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 11,627 Times in 5,665 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
people are still going to work that could be done from home, any news on that?

I´d be interested as well, so far the company expects us to be in the office. Even if you are high risk due to an existing condition......
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #3493  
Old 16.03.2020, 11:15
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,695
Groaned at 136 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,241 Times in 2,930 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
There will be shortages for fresh fruits, vegetables, everything we normally import from Italy, Spain etc. And a lot of other places too. You'll realise how important these countries are. Ha.
At the moment that all seems to be running more-or-less normally. And governments are trying to keep it that way. First thing there are normal quantities of fresh stuff available, the problem seems to be everyone is appearing the moment the shops open and buying everything. That will die down in a day or two.
Reply With Quote
  #3494  
Old 16.03.2020, 11:16
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 11,275
Groaned at 172 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 17,371 Times in 7,395 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
What are you doing with the kids ?

Here in VD the announcements to close schools was Friday at 14.30 .. Ten minutes before end of school, so the kids came home with nothing other than their usual couple of hours of homework .

Mine are young and not prepping for exams or anything but we don't have any course work etc, something for them to follow. Would be good to keep them going with something.

Do we expect the schools to issue something? Or we treat this as a holiday..
The school should contact all the parents and tell them of their strategy for the upcoming weeks.
There will be lessons to do in some form or another.

It may take a few days to set up though as most schools weren’t very well prepared for it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #3495  
Old 16.03.2020, 11:16
BLP's Avatar
BLP BLP is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,108
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 576 Times in 360 Posts
BLP has a reputation beyond reputeBLP has a reputation beyond reputeBLP has a reputation beyond reputeBLP has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I´d be interested as well, so far the company expects us to be in the office. Even if you are high risk due to an existing condition......
My friend has to go in but other depts are at home. I'm at his place right now and I'm high risk not him, he is not keen to kick up a fuss about but it makes no sense how blaise they are being. He does have a job he can do from home.
Reply With Quote
  #3496  
Old 16.03.2020, 11:20
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,074
Groaned at 30 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 4,861 Times in 2,200 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
There will be shortages for fresh fruits, vegetables, everything we normally import from Italy, Spain etc. And a lot of other places too. You'll realise how important these countries are. Ha.
My local coop was completely out of fresh produce this morning---baked everything else looked normal (although I didn't do an inventory, just got my energy drink and gipfelli and left).

I'm not too concerned, we're stocked up on the essentials enough to last at least a month if not longer.
Reply With Quote
  #3497  
Old 16.03.2020, 11:21
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,551
Groaned at 99 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,791 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
The school should contact all the parents and tell them of their strategy for the upcoming weeks.
There will be lessons to do in some form or another.

It may take a few days to set up though as most schools weren’t very well prepared for it.
Good stuff .. That's what we're hoping for .. A program from school instead of us trying to make something up.

I sure ain't no teacher!
Reply With Quote
  #3498  
Old 16.03.2020, 11:27
CodPeace's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: BaselStadt
Posts: 354
Groaned at 73 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 703 Times in 282 Posts
CodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
There will be shortages for fresh fruits, vegetables, everything we normally import from Italy, Spain etc. And a lot of other places too. You'll realise how important these countries are. Ha.

I'm not afraid that I'll be getting scurvy tbh.
Reply With Quote
  #3499  
Old 16.03.2020, 11:28
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,310
Groaned at 106 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 15,606 Times in 5,006 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
What are you doing with the kids ?

Here in VD the announcements to close schools was Friday at 14.30 .. Ten minutes before end of school, so the kids came home with nothing other than their usual couple of hours of homework .

Mine are young and not prepping for exams or anything but we don't have any course work etc, something for them to follow. Would be good to keep them going with something.

Do we expect the schools to issue something? Or we treat this as a holiday..
Here in BL my son's primary school teacher is going around house-to-house to deliver materials and instructions on how to proceed. There was a form to fill in send on Saturday asking parents to indicate who was an essential worker and what child care facilities were needed along with what IT capabilities they had.

Despite a slow start, the famous Swiss organisation is starting to come on-line.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #3500  
Old 16.03.2020, 11:30
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 788
Groaned at 118 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 760 Times in 373 Posts
Noth has earned the respect of manyNoth has earned the respect of manyNoth has earned the respect of many
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Does anybody have LeShop delivery scheduled for today? Do they still deliver? We have the scheduled delivery for March 18th but I am not sure that this order will come to us.

Thanks
I do, it's due for late afternoon (ordered Wednesday). I'll let you know if it comes through, no warnings of it not so far.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cold, corona, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, flu, health, medical, virus




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
PennyMama
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0