Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #5181  
Old 26.03.2020, 11:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,035
Groaned at 308 Times in 251 Posts
Thanked 12,747 Times in 6,663 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Am I still the only one on this forum who thinks V__ is trolling? Or are people still getting angry at me for making such call?
No, he's one of those contrarians we can't have enough of, just to keep things in balance etc etc etc

(I hope...)
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #5182  
Old 26.03.2020, 12:00
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 833
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,051 Times in 502 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
In a river of doom and gloom articles, end of the world news at the moment, we are skipping or we don't want to read some logical explanations and simple empirical proofs that not everything is so dark. To some extent the same has been happening over the years without people noticing and getting on with their lives. Just because it has a new name doesn't mean that we need to panicking 24/7
Before telling all is doom, gloom and end of the world news, check your information diet. Other people may not be having the same experience. Make sure you're not arguing with yourself
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #5183  
Old 26.03.2020, 12:02
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 745
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,178 Times in 510 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
As a millenial, I'm quite pleased that someone compliments my attention span, thanks
I can't figure out how millenials are to blame yet. Maybe it's because the lack of home purchasing has allowed millenials to travel more often to far flung places such as wuhan? Maybe if millenials all just bought houses this whole thing wouldn't have grown so quickly?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Ato for this useful post:
  #5184  
Old 26.03.2020, 12:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,035
Groaned at 308 Times in 251 Posts
Thanked 12,747 Times in 6,663 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I can't figure out how millenials are to blame yet. Maybe it's because the lack of home purchasing has allowed millenials to travel more often to far flung places such as wuhan? Maybe if millenials all just bought houses this whole thing wouldn't have grown so quickly?
If you don't find anything, just make up some shit. It works all the time...
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #5185  
Old 26.03.2020, 13:07
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 12,060
Groaned at 186 Times in 163 Posts
Thanked 17,352 Times in 7,056 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Am I still the only one on this forum who thinks V__ is trolling?
A fairly unpleasant person who seems to enjoy causing further upset to people who are already distressed and a bit of a prat isn't necessarily a troll - but worth not engaging.
Reply With Quote
  #5186  
Old 26.03.2020, 13:08
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,074
Groaned at 176 Times in 106 Posts
Thanked 934 Times in 464 Posts
V__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

While people get bombarded with deadly corona virus news, they start to feel symptoms or simply fake them just to get the test

https://www.20min.ch/ro/news/suisse/...stage-26183627

Quote:
However, this situation pushes some to deceive the medical profession, reveals "20 Minuten". S.T., a member of civil protection deployed to the Clinique des Grangettes in Geneva, confirms: “A woman in her forties wanted to pass the screening test. It looked like she was on the verge of death. She was coughing hard and looked like she was in pain. ”

S.T. and her colleague were convinced that she had the coronavirus. "We immediately sent him to the emergency room." One detail seemed strange to them, however: "She was dressed as if she were going to a club." After a few minutes, a doctor went to see S.T. "He was upset and told me that the lady was in good health."
Reply With Quote
  #5187  
Old 26.03.2020, 13:11
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 7,957
Groaned at 440 Times in 365 Posts
Thanked 9,801 Times in 4,678 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
No, he's one of those contrarians we can't have enough of, just to keep things in balance etc etc etc

(I hope...)
No he is not, he keeps pushing his opinion as facts, he misinterprets research, he places links to proof his opinion which often do not back up his opinion, he keeps saying that the flu is so much worse and completely ignores that army trucks are needed in Italy to transport the bodies, that medical systems are collapsing in some places while elsewhere they are working hard to build emergency hospitals, are struggling to find protective gear for staff and equipement hard needed ain't there while people are laying in the halls in hospitals hoping for a bed to come empty and he says that confinent is useless. He keeps saying that we should be like the Netherlands and England since they believe in herd-immunity however they on a lot of things have more restrictions than we have and both completely dropped their first approach since their hospitals simply cannot handle it.

He completely misses what this is all about and refuses to see the facts about what is happening. And he keeps pushing his shit which is damn irritating.
__________________
Everything we do before a pandemic will seem alarmist. Everything we do after will seem inadequate
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #5188  
Old 26.03.2020, 13:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 7,957
Groaned at 440 Times in 365 Posts
Thanked 9,801 Times in 4,678 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Dutch parlament will soon vote to force pharmaceutical Roche to disclose the ingredients/methods to make test liquid. The companies simply cannot keep up with demand and the world is in urgent need of huge supplies.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #5189  
Old 26.03.2020, 13:38
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,819
Groaned at 2,029 Times in 1,117 Posts
Thanked 5,068 Times in 3,201 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Would you believe anything this guy has to say?

https://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/wir-sin...s-789678188180

"We are two steps ahead in the crisis" Norman Gobbi

Name:  Norman Gobbi.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  24.3 KB

Name:  remote.adjust.rotate=0&remote.size.w=1280&remote.size.h=853&local.crop.h=731&local.crop.w=1279&l.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  43.4 KB

Last edited by omtatsat; 26.03.2020 at 13:49.
Reply With Quote
  #5190  
Old 26.03.2020, 13:51
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,007
Groaned at 175 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 12,320 Times in 6,465 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
No he is not, he keeps pushing his opinion as facts, he misinterprets research, he places links to proof his opinion which often do not back up his opinion, he keeps saying that the flu is so much worse and completely ignores that army trucks are needed in Italy to transport the bodies, that medical systems are collapsing in some places while elsewhere they are working hard to build emergency hospitals, are struggling to find protective gear for staff and equipement hard needed ain't there while people are laying in the halls in hospitals hoping for a bed to come empty and he says that confinent is useless. He keeps saying that we should be like the Netherlands and England since they believe in herd-immunity however they on a lot of things have more restrictions than we have and both completely dropped their first approach since their hospitals simply cannot handle it.

He completely misses what this is all about and refuses to see the facts about what is happening. And he keeps pushing his shit which is damn irritating.
No need to use DUTCH's very polite demand for V to reign what ever V does (not followed) in to start bitching heavily about members!

There is an ignore button. And I'm sure they deliver punchbags via internet-shops.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #5191  
Old 26.03.2020, 14:03
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 2,599
Groaned at 111 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 2,936 Times in 1,468 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
No need to use DUTCH's very polite demand for V to reign what ever V does (not followed) in to start bitching heavily about members!

There is an ignore button. And I'm sure they deliver punchbags via internet-shops.
It’s a pity that the Ignoree isn’t advised they have been ignored. They might learn something from the experience.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #5192  
Old 26.03.2020, 14:03
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,819
Groaned at 2,029 Times in 1,117 Posts
Thanked 5,068 Times in 3,201 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

I went for a walk today

Name:  90604047_2734354616620024_2632763326941102080_n.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  27.7 KB
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #5193  
Old 26.03.2020, 14:11
gaburko's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: BL
Posts: 666
Groaned at 109 Times in 74 Posts
Thanked 1,448 Times in 577 Posts
gaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
No, he's one of those contrarians we can't have enough of, just to keep things in balance etc etc etc

(I hope...)
He's not the only one, but at this volume of media bull$hit and the irrational fear they are proliferating, I've decided it's not worth arguing with panicking and overly-dramatic human beings. 22k deaths over the past 5 months and we've basically closed the world. Once we wake-up with a massive hang-over it will all seem surreal and unbelievable. Oh, a hard recession, increased unemployment and increased taxes later that is.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank gaburko for this useful post:
  #5194  
Old 26.03.2020, 14:17
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 833
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,051 Times in 502 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

An initiative from canton Genčve. A platform for small business to offer their services or products, pre-sell them now and deliver the services or products once the virus passes.

https://www.covid-heros.ch/

Initiatives like this may generate a bit of income and reduce the uncertainty for a lot of people.
Reply With Quote
  #5195  
Old 26.03.2020, 14:20
Castro's Avatar
ŕ la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,310
Groaned at 106 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 15,606 Times in 5,006 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
He's not the only one, but at this volume of media bull$hit and the irrational fear they are proliferating, I've decided it's not worth arguing with panicking and overly-dramatic human beings. 22k deaths over the past 5 months and we've basically closed the world. Once we wake-up with a massive hang-over it will all seem surreal and unbelievable. Oh, a hard recession, increased unemployment and increased taxes later that is.
We will never know if we managed to avoid catastrophe because or in spite of all these measures. The original estimates were based on us doing 'nothing', so the question is whether this response was proportionate?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #5196  
Old 26.03.2020, 14:23
gaburko's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: BL
Posts: 666
Groaned at 109 Times in 74 Posts
Thanked 1,448 Times in 577 Posts
gaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
We will never know if we managed to avoid catastrophe because or in spite of all these measures. The original estimates were based on us doing 'nothing', so the question is whether this response was proportionate?
sure, sure. Of course the crooks from WHO will claim its because of them. Btw, these are the same bunch of alarmists who put bacon next to Chernobyl as a carcinogenic.
Irrational fear cannot be tackled with data and arguments, it needs to be left on its own.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at gaburko for this post:
  #5197  
Old 26.03.2020, 14:26
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,819
Groaned at 2,029 Times in 1,117 Posts
Thanked 5,068 Times in 3,201 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Quote:
View Post
I can't figure out how millenials are to blame yet. Maybe it's because the lack of home purchasing has allowed millenials to travel more often to far flung places such as wuhan? Maybe if millenials all just bought houses this whole thing wouldn't have grown so quickly?
Millenials ae totally to blame. They travel so much around the world and take their infections everwhere they go

Quote:
View Post
An initiative from canton Genčve. A platform for small business to offer their services or products, pre-sell them now and deliver the services or products once the virus passes.

https://www.covid-heros.ch/

Initiatives like this may generate a bit of income and reduce the uncertainty for a lot of people.
this is by far the best

https://laedelishop.ch/
Reply With Quote
  #5198  
Old 26.03.2020, 14:31
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored˛
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 14,704
Groaned at 265 Times in 195 Posts
Thanked 17,035 Times in 8,815 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Ro is being recalculated, so are the estimates. CZ shut down a few weeks back. Before March 12 - Ro was 2.63, after strict measures on March 12 (school closure, state of emergency) - Ro is lowered to 1.84, after March 16 (no free movement of citizens without a few exceptions) Ro is 1.2. Those last two Ro numbers are still fairly inaccurate since they are just estimates based on real data, but it looks like flattening is happening and the response is faster than expected. The title of the article is 'Slow epidemics of coronavirus. Chechia is not intending to stop the spread but modify it.'.

https://www.idnes.cz/technet/veda/ce...90859_veda_mla
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H. Pestalozzi

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman
Reply With Quote
  #5199  
Old 26.03.2020, 14:32
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 198
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 522 Times in 272 Posts
John William has an excellent reputationJohn William has an excellent reputationJohn William has an excellent reputationJohn William has an excellent reputation
Re: Coronavirus

FYI - Some people are using condoms for finger protection when taking the lift.


Reply With Quote
  #5200  
Old 26.03.2020, 14:35
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,074
Groaned at 176 Times in 106 Posts
Thanked 934 Times in 464 Posts
V__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Nobel Prize winner biology professor says we need to control the panic...otherwise we will be fine.

Quote:
A Nobel Prize winning biology professor has provided a bit of good news amidst the coronavirus gloom; the US may see a downturn in new cases sooner than some models have predicted.

Michael Levitt, a Stanford University biology professor and a 2013 Nobel Prize winner in chemistry, said his models predict the virus is not likely to dwindle on for months or years and – most importantly – is not likely to cause millions of deaths.

Mr Levitt previously predicted – correctly – when China would experience and endure the worst of its coronavirus crisis.

Speaking with the LA Times, Mr Levitt said he wasn’t prepared to offer a specific date for the end of the coronavirus crisis in America, but said that there are “clear signs of slowed growth”.

“What we need is to control the panic … we’re going to be fine,” he said.
He also says

Quote:
Mr Levitt said that while isolating was an important step to fighting viral spread, he also believes a certain segment of the population may be naturally immune to the disease.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...0ptnBhcnktLmwk
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank V__ for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
cold, corona, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, flu, health, medical, virus




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 16 (2 members and 14 guests)
maudthecat, TheSpouse
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0