Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #7661  
Old 18.04.2020, 11:54
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,404
Groaned at 107 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 1,481 Times in 859 Posts
yacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I feel they are using the situation, at least in VD here people are picnicking in parks with beach towels and now those same campers will be "afraid" to go back to work.

Few days ago I saw 4 camping cars parked near the lake just before Lutry beach with people eating bbq and swimming in the lake. I don't know about other places, but from Geneva and Lausanne I see much more activity in parks and people going out more often than usual. Everyday it's like a Sunday sunny day

Getting next day delivery on your Zalando boots is considered essential.

Children's education can wait for September, we don't consider it essential?
There is an immense difference between outdoor and indoor. Ever painted anything in both environments?
The state employees who aren't working full time could get a pay cut. Up to the tax payers to rebel.
Reply With Quote
  #7662  
Old 18.04.2020, 13:48
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,939
Groaned at 325 Times in 268 Posts
Thanked 10,249 Times in 5,407 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Given the relatively late infection curve in the UK, arrivals are mostly more likely to contract Covid in the UK than to bring it with them.
Late compared to the continent. FWIW, the airplanes shown by flightradar24.com above the British Isles at this moment are traffic from/to North America and the Middle East (of course other times day may show different routes).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #7663  
Old 18.04.2020, 16:45
Klostersgirl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Stäfa and Klosters
Posts: 372
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 489 Times in 179 Posts
Klostersgirl has an excellent reputationKlostersgirl has an excellent reputationKlostersgirl has an excellent reputationKlostersgirl has an excellent reputation
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will ( soon ) open the bathing areas in Zürich
I don't think you need to worry. I have just driven from Zurich Hauptbahnhof along the Seestrasse (legitimate journey as I was picking up my son in the Army who is home on one day's leave) and everywhere along the Lake is heaving with people sunbathing, eating picnics, swimming etc. We were completely shocked. The road itself was packed with cyclists. It looked as though the world and his wife is out for the day. I wondered if we had fallen into a time warp and were back in 2019.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Klostersgirl for this useful post:
  #7664  
Old 18.04.2020, 17:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 6,890
Groaned at 62 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 9,977 Times in 4,087 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I don't think you need to worry. I have just driven from Zurich Hauptbahnhof along the Seestrasse (legitimate journey as I was picking up my son in the Army who is home on one day's leave) and everywhere along the Lake is heaving with people sunbathing, eating picnics, swimming etc. We were completely shocked. The road itself was packed with cyclists. It looked as though the world and his wife is out for the day. I wondered if we had fallen into a time warp and were back in 2019.
You write so well, Klostergirl! And while your words transported me into that sunny busy-ness, and I believe you that you saw what you saw, I found these three otherwise beautiful webcam perspectives of Zurich seemingly nearly deserted, and in that, a little eerie.

https://nzz.roundshot.co/
View from the top of the NZZ building at the junction of Stadelhoferplatz and Sechseläutenplatz, next to the Operahaus.

https://zuerichtourismus.roundshot.co/
View from the old town, showing the promenade along Limmatquai, the Frauenbadi, Fraumünster and the bridge towards the Wasserkirche.

https://zuerichtourismus.roundshot.co/zuerichwest/
View up the Sihl, across the Platzspitz park and the Landesmuseum, over the lake to the mountains.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #7665  
Old 18.04.2020, 17:39
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 11,503
Groaned at 180 Times in 162 Posts
Thanked 17,901 Times in 7,576 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
You write so well, Klostergirl! And while your words transported me into that sunny busy-ness, and I believe you that you saw what you saw, I found these three otherwise beautiful webcam perspectives of Zurich seemingly nearly deserted, and in that, a little eerie.

https://nzz.roundshot.co/
View from the top of the NZZ building at the junction of Stadelhoferplatz and Sechseläutenplatz, next to the Operahaus.

https://zuerichtourismus.roundshot.co/
View from the old town, showing the promenade along Limmatquai, the Frauenbadi, Fraumünster and the bridge towards the Wasserkirche.

https://zuerichtourismus.roundshot.co/zuerichwest/
View up the Sihl, across the Platzspitz park and the Landesmuseum, over the lake to the mountains.
At five thirty in the afternoon most people have probably already made their way home.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #7666  
Old 18.04.2020, 17:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
For Coronavirus more like 60% to 80% I read. But given the best estimate of the number infected in Switzerland so far is about 3% rather a long way to go.
I read 80-95 for Covid-19 but as low as 40% for other illnesses. I guess it depends on source and studies etc. But yes, 3% is a low start!
Reply With Quote
  #7667  
Old 18.04.2020, 18:01
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
My elderly aunt was very careful about avoiding social contact during the lockdown. She died today in a freak accident.

Despite the lockdown, the nursing home down the road has over 20 cases of CV. I sometimes wonder if the lockdown had been less drastic, would the outcome still have been the same?
I'm sorry for your loss. My condolences.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7668  
Old 18.04.2020, 18:02
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 10,467
Groaned at 76 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 17,102 Times in 7,734 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
FIBO the largest fitness trade show in the world was supposed to have been held in April in Koln Germany but instead of outright cancelling, organisers have postponed it to the beginning of October. Not the remotest chance I would even consider going with circa 145,000 visitors from 140 nations (according to their website) and I think it is irresponsible and reckless that it is not completely cancelled for 2020. Sure money was the deciding factor
I don't know. These types of shows take a lot to organize and even more to reschedule. We really don't know how things will look in October as we sit here in April. Maybe this will all blow over or maybe it will explode when we let people back out. I see nothing wrong with waiting until at least early June to make a decision to cancel. Cancelling now seems to be jumping the gun, whereas cancelling in September would be chaos.

Quote:
View Post
I think we are going to have to get used to the idea that this sort of event isn't going to happen until we have a vaccine or reach eventually herd immunity.

Until that happens you just can't allow events that will inevitably increase the infection rate above 1.
Or can you? Depending on which stats you believe, up to 30 or 40% of people may have already been infected and the vast majority of those didn't even know. I think we have to start opening up and see how it goes. If things get insane really quick, we can lock down again. If they go well, we can open up further. Testing both for current illnesses and for antibodies needs to seriously ramp up.

A reasonable timeline for a vaccine that's tried and tested is probably a year from now. We won't get herd immunity if we all stay inside for a year either.

I don't envy the politicians that have to pretty much guess at the right thing to do to move forward.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 18.04.2020 at 19:08. Reason: extra word didn't make sense
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #7669  
Old 18.04.2020, 18:10
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,919
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I don't think you need to worry. I have just driven from Zurich Hauptbahnhof along the Seestrasse (legitimate journey as I was picking up my son in the Army who is home on one day's leave) and everywhere along the Lake is heaving with people sunbathing, eating picnics, swimming etc. We were completely shocked. The road itself was packed with cyclists. It looked as though the world and his wife is out for the day. I wondered if we had fallen into a time warp and were back in 2019.
I am referring to the official bathing areas like Tiefenbrunnen,Werd Insel etc. Unterletten
Reply With Quote
  #7670  
Old 18.04.2020, 18:10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Sure contact is limited but certain distances and conditions can be implemented even at school.

Children's education can wait for September, we don't consider it essential?
How do you do effective social distancing for c.26 people (32ish in the UK) in a classroom? How do you help a child with their work one on one from 6 ft away? How do you do PE lessons? What if you are Kita /early years and the children are still in nappies, what do you do to protect your staff? How do you manage a school if, consistently, a third or more of your teachers are ill/self-isolating/ caring for dependents? How do you force staff to work with hundreds of people a day who each have their own social bubbles to infect/reinfect etc. It's bad enough when there is a particularly horrid stomach bug doing the rounds in a school, this would be a lot worse.

The kids can catch up. They're resilient. They're forked if there isn't any staff left to teach them.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7671  
Old 18.04.2020, 18:57
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is online now
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,174
Groaned at 202 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 1,101 Times in 541 Posts
V__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
How do you do effective social distancing for c.26 people (32ish in the UK) in a classroom? How do you help a child with their work one on one from 6 ft away? How do you do PE lessons? What if you are Kita /early years and the children are still in nappies, what do you do to protect your staff? How do you manage a school if, consistently, a third or more of your teachers are ill/self-isolating/ caring for dependents? How do you force staff to work with hundreds of people a day who each have their own social bubbles to infect/reinfect etc. It's bad enough when there is a particularly horrid stomach bug doing the rounds in a school, this would be a lot worse.

The kids can catch up. They're resilient. They're forked if there isn't any staff left to teach them.
All the numbers so far show kids/youngsters are untouched by the virus. Even teachers probably in a very small minority are vulnerable and can easily be replaced while they isolate for the time being. Makes no sense to close a school for 300 kids just because of 3 teachers that can't work at the moment

Not to mention parents that will have to go back to work, where they gonna leave the kids?

The whole system is a circle, if one part is missing it can not turn
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank V__ for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at V__ for this post:
  #7672  
Old 18.04.2020, 19:13
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Zürich
Posts: 901
Groaned at 84 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 1,192 Times in 581 Posts
YuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Even teachers probably in a very small minority are vulnerable and can easily be replaced while they isolate for the time being. Makes no sense to close a school for 300 kids just because of 3 teachers that can't work at the moment
Teachers can easily be replaced.. yeah right..

Plus all kids infecting each other, and then their parents, obviously isn't an issue either..
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank YuropFlyer for this useful post:
  #7673  
Old 18.04.2020, 19:15
Ace1's Avatar
A modal singularity
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS (and Alsace)
Posts: 8,305
Groaned at 323 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 13,795 Times in 6,069 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
How do you do effective social distancing for c.26 people (32ish in the UK) in a classroom?
Quite. I thought about answering in similar vein but decided to leave it, as it's so obvious that it's not worth arguing.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #7674  
Old 18.04.2020, 19:24
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,919
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Wow I underestimated Mr Berset! Now he will let the hardware shops, the massage / sex salons,the nail shops, and also tattoo shops open on 27 April.His tactic here is without bounds. Open the massage/sex salons -his dirty mates at the Bundesrat must be bursting at the crotch after one month abstinence. But the hair salon won't do much for him as he was born a skinhead.

Last edited by omtatsat; 18.04.2020 at 19:39.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users groan at omtatsat for this post:
  #7675  
Old 18.04.2020, 19:37
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 12,297
Groaned at 189 Times in 166 Posts
Thanked 17,768 Times in 7,229 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

<Tin foil hat>Another conspiracy theory I read recently. Coronavirus is actually what caused those vaping deaths in the US last year.</Tin foil hat>
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #7676  
Old 18.04.2020, 20:11
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 15,022
Groaned at 283 Times in 205 Posts
Thanked 17,458 Times in 9,027 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Quite. I thought about answering in similar vein but decided to leave it, as it's so obvious that it's not worth arguing.
I do not think worth arguing, tbh. May 11 isn't tomorrow, nor is June 8. This is CH, the numbers aren't so scary now, either.

We do have Austria and other pilot places to watch and adjust to.
Reply With Quote
  #7677  
Old 18.04.2020, 20:13
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is online now
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,174
Groaned at 202 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 1,101 Times in 541 Posts
V__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Teachers can easily be replaced.. yeah right..

Plus all kids infecting each other, and then their parents, obviously isn't an issue either..
By the looks of it a lot of people have been infected today and have no symptoms. Some have recovered without even knowing, some thought it was the flu and stayed in bed for few days.

In Switzerland there have been practically no hospitalization in the 0-9 age range, a fraction in the 10-19. No victims below 30.

It's one thing to be prudent another to be scared...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank V__ for this useful post:
This user groans at V__ for this post:
  #7678  
Old 18.04.2020, 20:44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
By the looks of it a lot of people have been infected today and have no symptoms.
Ever heard of incubation periods?
Quote:
Some have recovered without even knowing, some thought it was the flu and stayed in bed for few days.
Euh yeah, that is exactly what we are supposed to do.
Quote:

In Switzerland there have been practically no hospitalization in the 0-9 age range, a fraction in the 10-19. No victims below 30.
A 27 yr old male died, but facts are not your strongest point.
Quote:

It's one thing to be prudent another to be scared...
Being factual has nothing to do with being prudent or scared.

Last edited by EdwinNL; 18.04.2020 at 22:51. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7679  
Old 18.04.2020, 22:14
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
All the numbers so far show kids/youngsters are untouched by the virus. Even teachers probably in a very small minority are vulnerable and can easily be replaced while they isolate for the time being. Makes no sense to close a school for 300 kids just because of 3 teachers that can't work at the moment

Not to mention parents that will have to go back to work, where they gonna leave the kids?

The whole system is a circle, if one part is missing it can not turn
Kids are carriers of the virus. There is a shortage of teachers in the UK in some subjects as it is. Don't know the current picture in CH. Not as easy to replace as you blithely suggest.

You haven't answered my question about the practical difficulties of social distancing within schools.

As for your last point: is a school's primary function to educate, as you initially stated, or merely as a free place to warehouse your kids?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7680  
Old 18.04.2020, 22:15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Quite. I thought about answering in similar vein but decided to leave it, as it's so obvious that it's not worth arguing.
Oh I enjoy the occasonal tilt at a windmill.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cold, corona, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, flu, health, medical, virus




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (6 members and 1 guests)
SandyDown, komsomolez, Limestone, TinyK, baboon
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0