Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11301  
Old 02.08.2020, 19:20
komsomolez's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 256
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 247 Times in 114 Posts
komsomolez has earned the respect of manykomsomolez has earned the respect of manykomsomolez has earned the respect of many
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Is Melbourne going crazy with their new restrictions! And yes I know its a POLICE STATE! with a mongrel government

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavi...9-daily-update
Wow. Full curfew after 8 and mask obligation when leaving home, i.e. when cycling alone through the park. Who will accept this as necessary?
Reply With Quote
  #11302  
Old 02.08.2020, 19:23
komsomolez's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 256
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 247 Times in 114 Posts
komsomolez has earned the respect of manykomsomolez has earned the respect of manykomsomolez has earned the respect of many
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
https://www.rts.ch/info/suisse/11505...one-rouge.html

Belgium classifying the Lac Leman region as a red zone epidemiologically and spots to avoid in terms of tourism. Belgians visiting here will be forced to compulsory testing and quarantine upon return
Am in Montreux right now. Quite a few Belgian plates. Not a lot of people overall. Masks on the passeneger boats mandatory, also outside., but then inside where food and drinks are served of course no mask. Generally people are behaving like adults, with the few exceptions of people who reached adult stage by DOB only.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #11303  
Old 02.08.2020, 19:25
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,919
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Wow. Full curfew after 8 and mask obligation when leaving home, i.e. when cycling alone through the park. Who will accept this as necessary?
Yes crazy. Even the rats are suffering!

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...24-p55dzk.html
Reply With Quote
  #11304  
Old 02.08.2020, 19:37
komsomolez's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 256
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 247 Times in 114 Posts
komsomolez has earned the respect of manykomsomolez has earned the respect of manykomsomolez has earned the respect of many
Re: Coronavirus

Now, looking at Switzerland, there are a few things to observe: Opening is going very far in comparison to other countries in Europe (especially the June step, not 11 May). Increase of cases much more pronounced than other countries in Central Europe. Testing is down. Positivity is up.

WHO guidance is slowly open up when under 5% positivity, slow down / take back steps when at/above 5%. Looks to me we are almost there. What concerns me most is the lack of coordination between Federation and cantons - all look quite hesitant and show no clear strategy.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #11305  
Old 02.08.2020, 19:40
komsomolez's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 256
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 247 Times in 114 Posts
komsomolez has earned the respect of manykomsomolez has earned the respect of manykomsomolez has earned the respect of many
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Now, looking at Switzerland, there are a few things to observe: Opening is going very far in comparison to other countries in Europe (especially the June step, not 11 May). Increase of cases much more pronounced than other countries in Central Europe. Testing is down. Positivity is up.

WHO guidance is slowly open up when under 5% positivity, slow down / take back steps when at/above 5%. Looks to me we are almost there. What concerns me most is the lack of coordination between Federation and cantons - all look quite hesitant and show no clear strategy.
https://www.nzz.ch/panorama/coronavi...eit-ld.1542774

Paywall, I guess. Data source to the statements on degree of opening and case reaction. Before someone smart will challenge this as alarmistic.
Reply With Quote
  #11306  
Old 02.08.2020, 21:16
Hausamsee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 493
Groaned at 98 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 642 Times in 287 Posts
Hausamsee has an excellent reputationHausamsee has an excellent reputationHausamsee has an excellent reputationHausamsee has an excellent reputation
Re: Coronavirus

Just heard that The World Economic Forum in January in Davos might not go ahead, has anyone read any news on that too?
Reply With Quote
  #11307  
Old 02.08.2020, 21:32
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,919
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Just heard that The World Economic Forum in January in Davos might not go ahead, has anyone read any news on that too?
Thanks for that good news!!
Reply With Quote
  #11308  
Old 02.08.2020, 21:42
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,775
Groaned at 143 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 6,417 Times in 3,000 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
https://www.rts.ch/info/suisse/11505...one-rouge.html

Belgium classifying the Lac Leman region as a red zone epidemiologically and spots to avoid in terms of tourism. Belgians visiting here will be forced to compulsory testing and quarantine upon return
Can only hope the embarrassment helps persuade the Bund and Cantons to stop pointing fingers at each other and to actually do something.
Reply With Quote
  #11309  
Old 02.08.2020, 22:48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 355
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 444 Times in 227 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Now, looking at Switzerland, there are a few things to observe: Opening is going very far in comparison to other countries in Europe (especially the June step, not 11 May). Increase of cases much more pronounced than other countries in Central Europe. Testing is down. Positivity is up.

WHO guidance is slowly open up when under 5% positivity, slow down / take back steps when at/above 5%. Looks to me we are almost there. What concerns me most is the lack of coordination between Federation and cantons - all look quite hesitant and show no clear strategy.
I do find opening nightclubs really a step too far. With the number of nightclubs in Switzerland, the state could probably just pay the owners to keep them closed. It should have been obvious that opening them would cause the virus to spread.

Generally, I'm not for removing peoples liberties, but when its a pretty small thing that can prevent the re-imposition of other controls - isn't that just common sense?

Happy to wear a mask in the shops too.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #11310  
Old 02.08.2020, 23:08
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 1,046
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,363 Times in 639 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I do find opening nightclubs really a step too far. With the number of nightclubs in Switzerland, the state could probably just pay the owners to keep them closed. It should have been obvious that opening them would cause the virus to spread.

Generally, I'm not for removing peoples liberties, but when its a pretty small thing that can prevent the re-imposition of other controls - isn't that just common sense?

Happy to wear a mask in the shops too.
Indeed, tracing shows half of new cases can be traced to a nightclub. https://www.thelocal.ch/20200801/swi...or-restaurants

Well, it's the summer, barbecue and drink in open air, a biergarten maybe, no need to go to a closed space.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #11311  
Old 03.08.2020, 01:53
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Zürich
Posts: 901
Groaned at 84 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 1,192 Times in 581 Posts
YuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Indeed, tracing shows half of new cases can be traced to a nightclub. https://www.thelocal.ch/20200801/swi...or-restaurants

Well, it's the summer, barbecue and drink in open air, a biergarten maybe, no need to go to a closed space.
This was already corrected. Close to no infections in night clubs.. BAG fu... up big here.
Reply With Quote
  #11312  
Old 03.08.2020, 07:09
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,775
Groaned at 143 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 6,417 Times in 3,000 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
This was already corrected. Close to no infections in night clubs.. BAG fu... up big here.
Strictly speaking the BAG's correct interpretation of their own results should be that they haven't a clue. In about 62% of cases they don't have a source of the infection - drawing any sort of conclusion when you only have results for 38% of your sample is pretty stupid.

Also makes me suspect even more that the Swiss track and trace is simply not working.

Edit - thinking about it, the infection in the family figure is also meaningless. Important would be the original source that brought it into the family.

Last edited by baboon; 03.08.2020 at 10:21.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #11313  
Old 03.08.2020, 08:26
komsomolez's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 256
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 247 Times in 114 Posts
komsomolez has earned the respect of manykomsomolez has earned the respect of manykomsomolez has earned the respect of many
Re: Coronavirus

For contract tracing to work, you need much more testing. I don't understand why this is down so much.
Reply With Quote
  #11314  
Old 03.08.2020, 09:39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 355
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 444 Times in 227 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
This was already corrected. Close to no infections in night clubs.. BAG fu... up big here.
I can't believe that all the 20 year olds are social distancing in the clubs after a few drinks. If they aren't surely an outbreak is inevitable sooner or later, especially with cases rising.
Reply With Quote
  #11315  
Old 03.08.2020, 10:04
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 576
Groaned at 216 Times in 137 Posts
Thanked 1,355 Times in 666 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
For contract tracing to work, you need much more testing. I don't understand why this is down so much.
Perhaps because so many people are either asymptomatic or have coronavirus yet show no symptoms at the time of testing. I'm not sure that mass testing is as effective as was earlier believed.

Last edited by TonyClifton; 03.08.2020 at 10:31.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #11316  
Old 03.08.2020, 10:13
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Thun
Posts: 28
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 49 Times in 18 Posts
Limestone has made some interesting contributions
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
For contract tracing to work, you need much more testing. I don't understand why this is down so much.

I think it's partially due to the funny weather we have had in the last few weeks. I've heard people blaming their coughs on it.
Reply With Quote
  #11317  
Old 03.08.2020, 10:18
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 6,354
Groaned at 281 Times in 191 Posts
Thanked 14,424 Times in 4,430 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Question about testing in Switzerland:

Is it true that if you've been in contact with someone who has been tested positive and you're not exhibiting any symptoms, testing will cost you SFr. 200?
Reply With Quote
  #11318  
Old 03.08.2020, 10:25
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,775
Groaned at 143 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 6,417 Times in 3,000 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Question about testing in Switzerland:

Is it true that if you've been in contact with someone who has been tested positive and you're not exhibiting any symptoms, testing will cost you SFr. 200?
Seems so, not sure if it's CHF 200 but you pay. So just tell them you can't smell anything any more or you've got a sore throat or something.

Correction - according to the below, contact with an infected person IS enough to get the test free

https://www.nau.ch/politik/bundeshau...nahme-65736372

Last edited by baboon; 03.08.2020 at 10:38.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #11319  
Old 03.08.2020, 14:23
Klostersgirl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Stäfa and Klosters
Posts: 372
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 489 Times in 179 Posts
Klostersgirl has an excellent reputationKlostersgirl has an excellent reputationKlostersgirl has an excellent reputationKlostersgirl has an excellent reputation
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Just heard that The World Economic Forum in January in Davos might not go ahead, has anyone read any news on that too?
I read that it is going ahead, but with vastly reduced numbers. Sorry I cant find the source now. I think only key delegates will be allowed to attend.
Reply With Quote
  #11320  
Old 03.08.2020, 15:04
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,363
Groaned at 389 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 16,351 Times in 8,868 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Karma
Quote:
A Republican Michigan state lawmaker who has been outspoken in opposition to Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's (D) use of emergency powers during the coronavirus pandemic has tested positive for COVID-19.

State Sen. Tom Barrett (R), who is also a member of the Michigan National Guard, said in a statement on Sunday that he tested positive for the virus after receiving a required screening ahead of a training event.
Source
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
cold, corona, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, flu, health, medical, virus




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 42 (1 members and 41 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0