Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11501  
Old 11.08.2020, 13:35
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is online now
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 1,023
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 1,317 Times in 621 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Russia's latest sempiternal state leader announced a working covid19 vaccine that was tested extensively. https://www.dw.com/en/russia-registe...ces/a-54524385

Personally, I don't trust it that much. Looks more like a Cold War flex than something medical. The good thing is that people striving to be right and anxious people already ingesting chlorine dioxide will go for it and they'll make a great real world experiment. We'll know in a few months.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #11502  
Old 11.08.2020, 13:41
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 869
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,415 Times in 609 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Russia's latest sempiternal state leader announced a working covid19 vaccine that was tested extensively. https://www.dw.com/en/russia-registe...ces/a-54524385

Personally, I don't trust it that much. Looks more like a Cold War flex than something medical. The good thing is that people striving to be right and anxious people and ingesting chlorine dioxide will go for it and they'll make a great real world experiment. We'll know in a few months.
Are we hoping for mutant superpowers or an mutagenic apocalypse? I've been reading too much dystopian fiction recently so I reckon mutagenic apocalypse.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Ato for this useful post:
  #11503  
Old 11.08.2020, 16:00
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,332
Groaned at 389 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 16,293 Times in 8,836 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I think it's time we took another look at Sweden. Now down at low single figure deaths per day. No masks, no second wave, importantly no lockdown. Sweden's economy has suffered as is to be expected in the globalised world, but far less than in countries where a strict lockdown was imposed.

Numbers are rising again in Spain, France and Greece. Not in Sweden though, they flattened the curve without going into a hard lockdown. They took a long term approach that now appears to be paying off.
Interesting view on masks;
Quote:
Dr. Monica Gandhi, an infectious disease specialist at University of California, San Francisco, has been working with a team of researchers to understand how more people could go through their infections with minimal or no symptoms.

Gandhi's team found masks make a difference.
"What the mask does is really reduce the amount of virus that you get in, if you do get infected," she said. "And by reducing that ... you have a lower dose, you're able to manage it, you're able to have a calm response and you have mild symptoms or no symptoms at all."
Source

Interesting study here in the Lancet on the effect of size of virus load for another corona virus sickness.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #11504  
Old 11.08.2020, 16:13
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,332
Groaned at 389 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 16,293 Times in 8,836 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Russia's latest sempiternal state leader announced a working covid19 vaccine that was tested extensively. https://www.dw.com/en/russia-registe...ces/a-54524385

Personally, I don't trust it that much. Looks more like a Cold War flex than something medical. The good thing is that people striving to be right and anxious people already ingesting chlorine dioxide will go for it and they'll make a great real world experiment. We'll know in a few months.
I am sure Trump will get an honorary dose from Putin.
Reply With Quote
  #11505  
Old 11.08.2020, 22:19
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 234
Groaned at 27 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 587 Times in 299 Posts
John William has an excellent reputationJohn William has an excellent reputationJohn William has an excellent reputationJohn William has an excellent reputation
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Russia's latest sempiternal state leader announced a working covid19 vaccine that was tested extensively. https://www.dw.com/en/russia-registe...ces/a-54524385

Personally, I don't trust it that much. Looks more like a Cold War flex than something medical. The good thing is that people striving to be right and anxious people already ingesting chlorine dioxide will go for it and they'll make a great real world experiment. We'll know in a few months.
Well what do you know the new Russin anti-Covid vaccine already approved for distribution in Russia by Putin
is called Sputnik-V
Surprised they are not launching it at Baikonur although who knows the name might be a clue of the vaccines
side effects.

Coronavirus - Putin says vaccine has been approved for use

Also note that it's the higher ranks in Russia as well as heathcare workers who will be getting the
vaccine first and from there the new vaccine filters down, again like the party faithful of the
Communist Party days getting their privileges and those that are members of the Komsomol.
__________________
Surely the time has come for Boris to 'circle the wagons' for a bit of herd immunity ?

Last edited by John William; 11.08.2020 at 23:33.
Reply With Quote
  #11506  
Old 12.08.2020, 00:23
Flying Kite's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Carouge GE
Posts: 74
Groaned at 55 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 47 Times in 35 Posts
Flying Kite has annoyed a few people around hereFlying Kite has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Are we hoping for mutant superpowers or an mutagenic apocalypse? I've been reading too much dystopian fiction recently so I reckon mutagenic apocalypse.
Already masked zombie is walking...
Reply With Quote
  #11507  
Old 12.08.2020, 07:57
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,919
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Well what do you know the new Russin anti-Covid vaccine already approved for distribution in Russia by Putin
is called Sputnik-V
Surprised they are not launching it at Baikonur although who knows the name might be a clue of the vaccines
side effects.

Coronavirus - Putin says vaccine has been approved for use

Also note that it's the higher ranks in Russia as well as heathcare workers who will be getting the
vaccine first and from there the new vaccine filters down, again like the party faithful of the
Communist Party days getting their privileges and those that are members of the Komsomol.
yes. Kill them off first!
Reply With Quote
  #11508  
Old 12.08.2020, 07:59
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,919
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I agree with this assessment, with the new spikes we're seeing across Europe I think rather than being a "second wave" we're seeing just the persistent presence of the virus. Even in Australia, and splendidly isolated New Zealand has reported new cases today. It just goes to show that instead of knee-jerk reactive policy, long term planning is required that preserves society and the economy. Fortunately the likes of Switzerland, Austria and Sweden seem to have grasped this point.

Sweden have long said that it's a "good" thing for virus to spread amongst young people who do not get affected by it. The reasoning being that the more it spreads, the increased likelihood herd immunity is built up. The natural spread of the virus is how populations can shrug off its effects, retarding this process will just result in the second spikes we're seeing now in many parts of the world.
YEs. Survival of the fittest
Reply With Quote
  #11509  
Old 12.08.2020, 09:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,291
Groaned at 314 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 13,225 Times in 6,884 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
The schools in BS and BL started their new year yesterday. Full, normal school hours. Teachers and almost nobody else wore masks at the initial gathering for new students and parents, thereafter no masks at all. Just a few standard reminders from BAG about using the right hand side of the stairs, washing hands (just twice per day at school!), and avoiding handshakes. Business pretty much as usual.
Yes, thank you. This is pretty much all I know for the time being.
Reply With Quote
  #11510  
Old 12.08.2020, 09:38
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 570
Groaned at 216 Times in 136 Posts
Thanked 1,353 Times in 665 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
My previous post, about the partying in Basel, would support this. And what have the young got to fear anyway? The kids going back to school will be the 'super spreaders' though, sneezing in their hands and wiping it everywhere, filthy little blighters.
But anyway, the virus is here to stay for the forseeable future, lucky it can be avoided by washing hands and a bit of distancing.

I was on a boat on the Thunersee last weekend, 1st class deck (well worth the extra 40% cost or whatever it is). Of the 20 or so people on the deck, no one kept the mask on, just well spread out.
It's hard to begrudge kid's behaviour now we know more about the virus. I was far more judgmental earlier on in the lockdown but have softened my stance since as we know that kids and young people are extremely unlikely to be severely affected by the Coronavirus. More importantly we know now that they are distinctly bad transmitters of the virus. There was a study that was reported in The Times newspaper at the weekend conducted by Public Health England, where they've looked at data on schools and they can't find a single case Coronavirus being transmitted from a child to and adult within a school. This echoes similar findings made by the WHO where they haven't been able to trace any outbreaks back to a school.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #11511  
Old 12.08.2020, 09:58
Talk to you later's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 221
Groaned at 19 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 270 Times in 117 Posts
Talk to you later has an excellent reputationTalk to you later has an excellent reputationTalk to you later has an excellent reputationTalk to you later has an excellent reputation
Re: Coronavirus

I think it is all on weak foundation currently. I don't believe either side. Studies keep contradicting each other.



Why would dirty hand of a kid not pass the dirt to another surface that might get touched by an adult?
Reply With Quote
  #11512  
Old 12.08.2020, 10:07
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 570
Groaned at 216 Times in 136 Posts
Thanked 1,353 Times in 665 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Economic data from the UK is out not only the worst hit European country in terms of fatalities, now the worst hit in terms of economy. I guess this is what happens when a service based economy is turned off because people are scared of a virus with a 99% survival rate. Things are still to get worse too, just wait until furlough ends and people realise they don't have jobs to go back to
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #11513  
Old 12.08.2020, 10:18
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Economic data from the UK is out not only the worst hit European country in terms of fatalities, now the worst hit in terms of economy. I guess this is what happens when a service based economy is turned off because people are scared of a virus with a 99% survival rate. Things are still to get worse too, just wait until furlough ends and people realise they don't have jobs to go back to
...and for Brexit to kick in. Going to be a rough couple of years decades.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #11514  
Old 12.08.2020, 10:24
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,332
Groaned at 389 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 16,293 Times in 8,836 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
It's hard to begrudge kid's behaviour now we know more about the virus. I was far more judgmental earlier on in the lockdown but have softened my stance since as we know that kids and young people are extremely unlikely to be severely affected by the Coronavirus. More importantly we know now that they are distinctly bad transmitters of the virus. There was a study that was reported in The Times newspaper at the weekend conducted by Public Health England, where they've looked at data on schools and they can't find a single case Coronavirus being transmitted from a child to and adult within a school. This echoes similar findings made by the WHO where they haven't been able to trace any outbreaks back to a school.
A counter study.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #11515  
Old 12.08.2020, 10:41
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is online now
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,168
Groaned at 199 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 1,092 Times in 536 Posts
V__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
virus with a 99% survival rate.
Survival rate is well 99.999999999999999%

8B population after 9 months we have 0.7M victims.

Tobacco kills 8M people a year. Yet we can't seem to ban tobacco even though smoking seems to be 10 times more deadly than covid

But we can ban people's freedom, education, business, leisure...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank V__ for this useful post:
  #11516  
Old 12.08.2020, 11:10
CodPeace's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: BaselStadt
Posts: 456
Groaned at 80 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 901 Times in 361 Posts
CodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Survival rate is well 99.999999999999999%

8B population after 9 months we have 0.7M victims.
To be pedantic, 8B pop, 20.5 million confirmed cases, 750k deaths.


It's pure guess work of the true figures for infected and death by Covid.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank CodPeace for this useful post:
  #11517  
Old 12.08.2020, 11:18
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 14,863
Groaned at 467 Times in 373 Posts
Thanked 20,984 Times in 8,652 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post

Tobacco kills 8M people a year. Yet we can't seem to ban tobacco even though smoking seems to be 10 times more deadly than covid
I thought with your brand of politics - it would be up to the individual, and not the government to decide whether one could, or ought to smoke or not - and stuff anyone else.

Quote:
View Post

But we can ban people's freedom, education, business, leisure...
What are you being prevented from doing in Switzerland at the present time which restricts your freedom, education, business and leisure?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #11518  
Old 12.08.2020, 11:26
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 869
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,415 Times in 609 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
What are you being prevented from doing in Switzerland at the present time which restricts your freedom, education, business and leisure?
I don't mean to speak for others, but I can't go partner dancing at the moment. First world problems.
Reply With Quote
  #11519  
Old 12.08.2020, 11:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
What are you being prevented from doing in Switzerland at the present time which restricts your freedom, education, business and leisure?
Unfortunately, his freedom to whine nonsensically appears to still be intact.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #11520  
Old 12.08.2020, 12:25
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 570
Groaned at 216 Times in 136 Posts
Thanked 1,353 Times in 665 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
...and for Brexit to kick in. Going to be a rough couple of years decades.
Brexit is almost insignificant compared to the economic impact of the Covid lockdown. The economic downturn that's happened is several factors worse than even the most pessimistic of Brexit economic forecasts.

I think those people on the Remain side of the argument who were against Brexit for economic reasons and who support lockdown need to take a long hard look at themselves. These people however are far surpassed in their duplicity by those who campaigned for a hard lockdown and now have the nerve to complain about the economic figures (I'm looking at you Piers Morgan )!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cold, corona, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, flu, health, medical, virus




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 8 (4 members and 4 guests)
fatmanfilms, Axa, V__
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0