Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03.03.2020, 12:34
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Tallinn
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gerly has no particular reputation at present
Employment contract and pregnancy

Dears,

I am going to have a job interview in Basel and probably my employer wants to hire me for 6 month contract.

I would like to ask advice, because I am pregnant (9 weeks).

Should I mention this to my new employer during interview?

Is there any penalty, when I have already signed the contract and mention to my employer later that I am pregnant?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03.03.2020, 12:42
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Employment contract and pregnancy

Afaik you are not legally bound to tell them or even answer such questions, however you have a duty to inform about conditions that directly effect your function.

If you would start next week, than with a normal pregnancy and no hard labour there should be no problem with your six months contract. If you would work in a warehouse doing heavy work than you are unfit for the function and should tell so.

If it's an office job I'd say nothing since it should not effect the function.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 03.03.2020, 12:57
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Tallinn
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gerly has no particular reputation at present
Re: Employment contract and pregnancy

Hi!

Thank you for this answer.

I think 6-month contract goes under temporary contract?
If yes, then I read that during the trial period I have no protection against dismissal due to pregnancy. Is this correct as well?

And pregnancy can not be important reason for terminating the temporary contract?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03.03.2020, 13:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Employment contract and pregnancy

Quote:
View Post
Hi!

Thank you for this answer.

I think 6-month contract goes under temporary contract?
If yes, then I read that during the trial period I have no protection against dismissal due to pregnancy. Is this correct as well?

And pregnancy can not be important reason for terminating the temporary contract?
Being fired for pregnancy is abusive (unless it is clear that you should have known you cannot do the job during these 6 months due to the pregnancy). However you have no protection during the trial period and they can give whatever reason they please like "no good, or does not fit the team, blablabla, and your contract would end in 6 months anyway pregnant or not.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03.03.2020, 15:53
kri's Avatar
kri kri is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,344
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 999 Times in 526 Posts
kri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Employment contract and pregnancy

I would tell them. Personally if a person I was about to hire did this to me, it would be an immediate breach of trust and no way I would keep them past probation and certainly not later.

You could tell them and clearly mention you do not see this as an issue to deliver the mandate.

If they do not give you a contract because of it then you will know they probably would have made your life hell later.

Congratulations by the way!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank kri for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 03.03.2020, 19:14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Geneva
Posts: 38
Groaned at 20 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 48 Times in 19 Posts
Lapithos is considered a nuisanceLapithos is considered a nuisanceLapithos is considered a nuisance
Re: Employment contract and pregnancy

Quote:
View Post
Dears,

I am going to have a job interview in Basel and probably my employer wants to hire me for 6 month contract.

I would like to ask advice, because I am pregnant (9 weeks).

Should I mention this to my new employer during interview?

Is there any penalty, when I have already signed the contract and mention to my employer later that I am pregnant?

Thank you!
If u tell them they are not gonna hire you. As simple as that. Sad, but true.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03.03.2020, 19:18
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 10,609
Groaned at 77 Times in 74 Posts
Thanked 17,469 Times in 7,861 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Employment contract and pregnancy

Quote:
View Post
I would tell them. Personally if a person I was about to hire did this to me, it would be an immediate breach of trust and no way I would keep them past probation and certainly not later.

You could tell them and clearly mention you do not see this as an issue to deliver the mandate.

If they do not give you a contract because of it then you will know they probably would have made your life hell later.

Congratulations by the way!
In this case, I disagree. OP is only 9 weeks along, and miscarriages are unfortunately all too common. I would wait until at least 12 weeks and then tell them if necessary. But that's just me and based on personal experience.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pregnancy and employment alohasal Employment 6 14.05.2020 15:10
End of employment notice question - pregnancy Mag Employment 14 27.09.2015 09:50
Employment Contract Help CautiousOne Employment 18 28.04.2013 10:52
Revoke Contract Due to Pregnancy King of Queens Employment 5 11.02.2012 03:02
My employment contract any help? travnett Employment 6 05.03.2008 22:33


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0