Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18.03.2020, 20:49
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich (Uetikon)
Posts: 222
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 194 Times in 56 Posts
Mr. Happy has earned the respect of manyMr. Happy has earned the respect of manyMr. Happy has earned the respect of many
COVID-19 family situation

Hi Folks,
I am a UK citizen on a C permit in the IT sector. I have a 18.5 year old doing her A'levels in England, and with the COVID 19 her mum (my Ex) was stuck abroad in Iran for a few weeks, and with the borders closing, I flew to London last night to be next to her in this difficult situation. Of course they decided to close schools today in the UK. Things are changing so fast.

With the schools shut now, it would make sense for me to bring her back with me to Switzerland, least of all to save my job and to benefit from the support system in Switzerland. But I hear that Switzerland won't let non-Swiss and non-permit holders in for sometime (not sure how long). First question: is that information true and second question: If I fly with my daughter to Switzerland on her UK passport and my Swiss permit, and explaining the family situation, what are our chances of her being allowed in?

Your inputs are much appreciated.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mr. Happy for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 18.03.2020, 20:54
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,362
Groaned at 343 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 1,534 Times in 709 Posts
V__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: COVID-19 family situation

Quote:
View Post
Hi Folks,
I am a UK citizen on a C permit in the IT sector. I have a 18.5 year old doing her A'levels in England, and with the COVID 19 her mum (my Ex) was stuck abroad in Iran for a few weeks, and with the borders closing, I flew to London last night to be next to her in this difficult situation. Of course they decided to close schools today in the UK. Things are changing so fast.

With the schools shut now, it would make sense for me to bring her back with me to Switzerland, least of all to save my job and to benefit from the support system in Switzerland. But I hear that Switzerland won't let non-Swiss and non-permit holders in for sometime (not sure how long). First question: is that information true and second question: If I fly with my daughter to Switzerland on her UK passport and my Swiss permit, and explaining the family situation, what are our chances of her being allowed in?

Your inputs are much appreciated.
I crossed the French-Swiss border yesterday at 15:00 and there were cars that were not let in.

They were asking for documents and checking them with the SYMIC system to see if I were a resident.

They were also yelling as technically the border is closed.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank V__ for this useful post:
This user groans at V__ for this post:
  #3  
Old 18.03.2020, 20:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,871
Groaned at 88 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 11,884 Times in 4,829 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: COVID-19 family situation

Does your daughter live with her mother?
Is the mother back from Iran?

You're her parent, but in legal terms, your daughter is an adult. Therefore, although I don't know for sure, I imagine that, if you're called upon to justify why she should be with you, you might need proof that she is financially dependent upon you.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 18.03.2020, 21:08
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,607
Groaned at 206 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 14,406 Times in 7,447 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: COVID-19 family situation

Quote:
View Post
Hi Folks,
I am a UK citizen on a C permit in the IT sector. I have a 18.5 year old doing her A'levels in England, and with the COVID 19 her mum (my Ex) was stuck abroad in Iran for a few weeks, and with the borders closing, I flew to London last night to be next to her in this difficult situation. Of course they decided to close schools today in the UK. Things are changing so fast.

With the schools shut now, it would make sense for me to bring her back with me to Switzerland, least of all to save my job and to benefit from the support system in Switzerland. But I hear that Switzerland won't let non-Swiss and non-permit holders in for sometime (not sure how long). First question: is that information true and second question: If I fly with my daughter to Switzerland on her UK passport and my Swiss permit, and explaining the family situation, what are our chances of her being allowed in?

Your inputs are much appreciated.
Which is exactly what the Swiss are trying to avoid. If I remember correctly, that was even clearly stated at a press conference. (Concerning your daughter that is).

Check with the embassy, get it in writing if they you may bring her. Otherwise stay with her in England, risking your job (which I doubt, you can take holidays if you didn't already to be able to fly there) was not all that pressing when you went to England in the fist place.

Not to mention that all these people who you will approach about this now are at the moment very busy with much more important stuff, although to you this feels most important of course. Think about it?
__________________
It Ain’t What You Don’t Know That Gets You Into Trouble. It’s What You Know for Sure That Just Ain’t So
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 18.03.2020, 21:12
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,871
Groaned at 88 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 11,884 Times in 4,829 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: COVID-19 family situation

Is your daughter's legal domicile with you, in Switzerland... as in, is she already registered here and has a Swiss permit to reside here? Is this the place she ordinarily lives and to which she regularly returns during her school holidays, and she left Switzerland only to go to school? If so, it might be considered reasonable that now that school is closed, she should just come home.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 18.03.2020, 21:15
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich (Uetikon)
Posts: 222
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 194 Times in 56 Posts
Mr. Happy has earned the respect of manyMr. Happy has earned the respect of manyMr. Happy has earned the respect of many
Re: COVID-19 family situation

Quote:
View Post
Is your daughter's legal domicile with you, in Switzerland... as in, is she already registered here and has a Swiss permit to reside here? Is this the place she ordinarily lives and to which she regularly returns during her school holidays, and she left Switzerland only to go to school? If so, it might be considered reasonable that now that school is closed, she should just come home.
No unfortunately her place of residence is the UK and she goes to school in the UK. She never lived with me in Switzerland, only visits in the past.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Mr. Happy for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 18.03.2020, 21:18
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,122
Groaned at 406 Times in 315 Posts
Thanked 17,094 Times in 9,617 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: COVID-19 family situation

She's 18.5 and has looked after herself for the past few weeks from the sounds of it. So long as she's sensible and stays inside, looks after herself as per the instructions coming from the government I can't see why she can't continue as before.

I doubt she'd be let in. She wouldn't be coming here under family reunification, i.e. to stay permanently, but as a tourist presumably until her mom gets back then she'd go home again. If she was much younger then maybe, but at her age I can't see them relaxing the current restrictions.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 18.03.2020, 21:51
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,231
Groaned at 392 Times in 269 Posts
Thanked 19,901 Times in 10,369 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: COVID-19 family situation

You are in IT, I bet your employer could allow you (as recommended by gov here) to work online for a bit?

If I was in the situation of your ex, stuck in Iran, it would reassure me immensely to know that my child is with the other parent and doesn't have to fend for herself alone during this time. I get she's a grown up but it can still be scary and depressing, exams pushed and all. I'd stay a little longer to see how she's coping, if your work allows?

I hope the mom of your daughter, your daughter and you are doing ok and that you can safely return soon to your life here.
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H. Pestalozzi

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 18.03.2020, 22:07
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,864
Groaned at 67 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,596 Times in 1,690 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: COVID-19 family situation

I came back from Finland to Geneva today. No checks on either end
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank gata for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 18.03.2020, 22:14
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich (Uetikon)
Posts: 222
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 194 Times in 56 Posts
Mr. Happy has earned the respect of manyMr. Happy has earned the respect of manyMr. Happy has earned the respect of many
Re: COVID-19 family situation

Quote:
View Post
You are in IT, I bet your employer could allow you (as recommended by gov here) to work online for a bit?

If I was in the situation of your ex, stuck in Iran, it would reassure me immensely to know that my child is with the other parent and doesn't have to fend for herself alone during this time. I get she's a grown up but it can still be scary and depressing, exams pushed and all. I'd stay a little longer to see how she's coping, if your work allows?

I hope the mom of your daughter, your daughter and you are doing ok and that you can safely return soon to your life here.
She is extremely mature and wise for her age, but even then I really don't feel comfortable to leave her alone in this once in a generation crises. My current project is ending and my company has offered to continue paying me if they can, so lots of ifs and buts and unknowns. But I believe the right thing is to be with my child.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Mr. Happy for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 18.03.2020, 22:41
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: COVID-19 family situation

I would fly in to Switzerland tomorrow- the worst that could happen is that you have to go back- but I don't think so. Don't wait.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 18.03.2020, 23:29
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,004
Groaned at 113 Times in 101 Posts
Thanked 10,745 Times in 4,738 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: COVID-19 family situation

Quote:
View Post
But I hear that Switzerland won't let non-Swiss and non-permit holders in for sometime (not sure how long). First question: is that information true and second question: If I fly with my daughter to Switzerland on her UK passport and my Swiss permit, and explaining the family situation, what are our chances of her being allowed in?
I'm very sorry to say that it is true and I truly don't envy your predicament. You run the risk of your daughter not being allowed to board the flight in the UK, or being refused entry into Switzerland. I wouldn't be surprised if your daughter didn't even make it onto the flight in the UK as it would be (under normal circumstances) the airline's responsibility to fly her back to the UK if she doesn't possess the correct documentation to be allowed into the destination country, and it's not a risk or cost they incur lightly. I've read rumours that this has been changed during this crisis, and the responsibility is now on the passenger, but can't remember where I read it. Sorry.

A very kind soul named Marco, has taken it upon himself to translate much of the daily BAG press conferences and updates into English. This was part of the advice given yesterday...

What about bi-national couples? 'Bi-national, unregistered couples, don't get a special treatment. If their partner lives abroad, they won't get a special permit to enter Switzerland'. #CoronaInfoCH #CoronaVirusSwitzerland #COVID2019
https://twitter.com/CoronaEnglish/st...17395357171713

I have three guesses as to the reason behind this decision, and they are only guesses. Either the Swiss government are concerned about having people in the country who don't have sufficient medical insurance, or they will struggle to accommodate the needs of the people who are citizens and residents here, or they're concerned that a stay beginning now will exceed the 90 day visitor allowance.

Perhaps it would be worth you contacting the UK Embassy in Bern for advice first thing in the morning. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 19.03.2020, 00:12
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 5,732
Groaned at 95 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 6,282 Times in 2,876 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: COVID-19 family situation

Have you thought about what happens if you bring her here and she gets sick and needs treatment? She won't have Swiss health insurance, and travel insurance wouldn't cover her as she would have travelled against UK government advice.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 19.03.2020, 00:44
Pachyderm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,458
Groaned at 73 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 3,174 Times in 1,087 Posts
Pachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: COVID-19 family situation

Quote:
View Post
Have you thought about what happens if you bring her here and she gets sick and needs treatment? She won't have Swiss health insurance, and travel insurance wouldn't cover her as she would have travelled against UK government advice.
Govt advice was to avoid unnecessary travel. The OP could argue (successfully or not) that these current circumstances made such a journey necessary. Also, if she has an EHIC, the NHS should cover the cost.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pachyderm for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 19.03.2020, 09:59
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 2,930
Groaned at 37 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 3,944 Times in 1,830 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: COVID-19 family situation

Quote:
View Post
No unfortunately her place of residence is the UK and she goes to school in the UK. She never lived with me in Switzerland, only visits in the past.
Hope it brings some peace. I lived far away from my parents since 17 years old. Nothing went wrong.....I think so Also, it's probably a rich experience for a young adult.

Also, Switzerland is riskier at the moment (more sick people), why bring her here?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
covid-19




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Border closure - Covid 19 smileygreebins Daily life 999 23.04.2021 17:53
COVID - Government Aid for small businesses FindingMyFeet Employment 20 24.03.2020 11:25
Family reunion and Bpermit situation NGarnezzee Permits/visas/government 2 19.08.2012 10:28
Health insurance for family - family not living in Switzerland gykon Insurance 6 03.04.2008 10:42
Swiss family looking for an english speaking family, Lucerne Andeli Family matters/health 2 08.01.2008 11:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0