Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30.06.2020, 06:26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Vaud
Posts: 61
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Humph has no particular reputation at present
Babysitter costs Chexbres / Vevey

Hi, we used a babysitter for the first time yesterday to look after our 2 kids, 5 and 3, at our home (I was in but working for most of the time except for an hour when I went to the shops as all seemed calm). She’s a psychology student and wants to gain experience caring for boys who might be challenging (ours can be full on). She’s not trained in babysitting though other than this. What do you think a fair hourly rate would be? Do you pay travel expenses typically? We were a bit lost yesterday when it came to paying her, and offered 10 an hour as this is the Red Cross rate we know, but after a little digging we are worried we’ve low balled her. What does anyone think might be fair?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30.06.2020, 06:52
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,551
Groaned at 99 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,791 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Babysitter costs Chexbres / Vevey

Quote:
View Post
Hi, we used a babysitter for the first time yesterday to look after our 2 kids, 5 and 3, at our home (I was in but working for most of the time except for an hour when I went to the shops as all seemed calm). She’s a psychology student and wants to gain experience caring for boys who might be challenging (ours can be full on). She’s not trained in babysitting though other than this. What do you think a fair hourly rate would be? Do you pay travel expenses typically? We were a bit lost yesterday when it came to paying her, and offered 10 an hour as this is the Red Cross rate we know, but after a little digging we are worried we’ve low balled her. What does anyone think might be fair?
Going by 'she's a psychology student' I assume she's over 18 ?
Normally you would only pay 10chf / hour to your friend / neighbours kid who's around 13 years old.. pocket money thing.

Take a look at babysitting24 website as an idea .. School kids are normally down around 10.- .. Older sitters are normally 20-25.- .. I've seen a few up at 30.- .

We normally pay 20.- per hour roughly .. We pay a bit extra if we ask them for extra, like going out somewhere, early start, late finish.. And yeah we'll get them a taxi if they need it, money for lunch if they go out etc etc . We want to keep the good sitters.

Did you pay the insurance and tax etc ? :-)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30.06.2020, 06:56
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Vaud
Posts: 61
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Humph has no particular reputation at present
Re: Babysitter costs Chexbres / Vevey

Quote:
View Post
Going by 'she's a psychology student' I assume she's over 18 ?
Normally you would only pay 10chf / hour to your friend / neighbours kid who's around 13 years old.. pocket money thing.

Take a look at babysitting24 website as an idea .. School kids are normally down around 10.- .. Older sitters are normally 20-25.- .. I've seen a few up at 30.- .

We normally pay 20.- per hour roughly .. We pay a bit extra if we ask them for extra, like going out somewhere, early start, late finish.. And yeah we'll get them a taxi if they need it, money for lunch if they go out etc etc . We want to keep the good sitters.

Did you pay the insurance and tax etc ? :-)
Ah thanks - guess we’ll call her and try and rectify things. And tax / insurance - really?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Humph for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 30.06.2020, 07:08
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,551
Groaned at 99 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,791 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Babysitter costs Chexbres / Vevey

Quote:
View Post
Ah thanks - guess we’ll call her and try and rectify things. And tax / insurance - really?
One should be legally employing the babysitter . Work contract, insurance and social security..

If she has an accident while employed by you then you could be expected to pay for it. Same as employing a cleaner..

Not sure how many people do it in reality .. Probably not many but I'm sure somebody will correct me
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30.06.2020, 09:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 2,606
Groaned at 111 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 2,946 Times in 1,473 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Babysitter costs Chexbres / Vevey

Our cleaner is covered by insurance. Costs about f100 a year. Social charges close to f600 a year. She does work 6hrs/wk, obviously a babysitter would be less.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for a creche + babysitter near Vevey ANOUK DE GOLS Education 0 25.01.2013 12:22
Parking Space needed near Puidoux Chexbres travellerSA Housing in general 9 20.06.2012 14:22
New in vevey. Snow shoeing. Vevey area. septiale Social events 0 21.11.2011 20:52
Do you need a babysitter? Zoyafahim Employment 2 17.04.2008 20:54
looking for babysitter/childcare Blonay near Vevey jojo Family matters/health 0 28.06.2007 12:34


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0