English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Family matters/health (https://www.englishforum.ch/family-matters-health/)
-   -   Covid Vaccine: Will you get it? (https://www.englishforum.ch/family-matters-health/301442-covid-vaccine-will-you-get.html)

janvier 11.11.2020 12:51

Covid 19 vaccine arriving
 
Will you get the jab if its not compulsory? And if it is compulsory?

And who will pay-the Health Insurance?

Its 90% successfull so what happens to the other 10%?

Ace1 11.11.2020 13:04

Re: Covid 19 vaccine arriving
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by janvier (Post 3238021)
Will you get the jab if its not compulsory? And if it is compulsory?

And who will pay-the Health Insurance?

Its 90% successfull so what happens to the other 10%?

1. Yes, I would get it - why not?

2. Who cares? I rarely reach my franchise amount anyway, so it makes no difference.

3. It's in this situation that the so-called 'herd immunity' kicks in. Once most of the population is immune the disease will no longer be able to spread, so the 10% who may still be susceptible are protected by lack of exposure to carriers. (That's the theory, as has been demonstrated by many other diseases - whether it works in this one is not yet certain).

Axa 11.11.2020 13:07

Re: Covid 19 vaccine arriving
 
I'll get the vaccine when available. Since I'm not interested in competing neck to neck with other people to be first, I guess it will be a long wait.

I think it will only be compulsory in countries where problems are magically solved by presidential decree. In the real world, the vaccine will be scarce and/or expensive, therefore why make compulsory a thing that is not available to everyone? A similar situation to masks in CH last March/April.

If it works it reduces healthcare costs. Thus its saves money for health insurance companies, then it will be covered by the current insurances.

Massa 11.11.2020 13:10

Re: Covid 19 vaccine arriving
 
The logistics of distributing a vaccine which needs to be kept in dry ice at -109F (-78C) is mind boggling. You also need to have the vaccine twice several weeks apart for it to be effective. I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet...

JackieH 11.11.2020 13:22

Re: Covid 19 vaccine arriving
 
Won't be too bad for EU/Switzerland. But for UK - massive issues


'There are fears that Brexit could hold up the coronavirus vaccine in the United Kingdom, as the transition period comes to an end on December 31.
At present, there is an agreement with the European Union to keep the same rules in place until the end of the year, but the country needs a deal to keep many of the existing arrangements in place.
A deal that drops many of those agreements, or no deal at all, could cause significant disruption both for Europe and the UK.
Now there are fears this could have an impact on the coronavirus vaccine, which is expected at the end of this year, or start of next year after health secretary Matt Hancock insisted there would need to be "mammoth logistical operations" to transport the vaccine from the manufacture bases in Germany, Belgium and the US to the patient.'


Not good timing, for sure.

olygirl 11.11.2020 13:25

Re: Covid 19 vaccine arriving
 
More vaccine options will be launched soon which will lead scientists, researchers, doctors and ultimately politicians to decide which vaccine should be issued.

HickvonFrick 11.11.2020 13:28

Re: Covid 19 vaccine arriving
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace1 (Post 3238028)
1. Yes, I would get it - why not?

2. Who cares? I rarely reach my franchise amount anyway, so it makes no difference.

3. It's in this situation that the so-called 'herd immunity' kicks in. Once most of the population is immune the disease will no longer be able to spread, so the 10% who may still be susceptible are protected by lack of exposure to carriers. (That's the theory, as has been demonstrated by many other diseases - whether it works in this one is not yet certain).

I imagine there's a decent chance it's completely gratis. It's in Switzerland's interest that take up is maximised.

fatmanfilms 11.11.2020 13:32

Re: Covid 19 vaccine arriving
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieH (Post 3238043)
Won't be too bad for EU/Switzerland. But for UK - massive issues


'There are fears that Brexit could hold up the coronavirus vaccine in the United Kingdom, as the transition period comes to an end on December 31.
At present, there is an agreement with the European Union to keep the same rules in place until the end of the year, but the country needs a deal to keep many of the existing arrangements in place.
A deal that drops many of those agreements, or no deal at all, could cause significant disruption both for Europe and the UK.
Now there are fears this could have an impact on the coronavirus vaccine, which is expected at the end of this year, or start of next year after health secretary Matt Hancock insisted there would need to be "mammoth logistical operations" to transport the vaccine from the manufacture bases in Germany, Belgium and the US to the patient.'


Not good timing, for sure.

The Vaccine comes from the US, Switzerland & the EU don't have a trade with the US.
Why will it be a problem for the UK?

I would be more worried about the Vaccine coming from the UK, plenty of doses ordered by the EU & I believe CH, they will be stuck at Dover if you were to be believed :D

HickvonFrick 11.11.2020 13:34

Re: Covid 19 vaccine arriving
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace1 (Post 3238028)
1. Yes, I would get it - why not?

2. Who cares? I rarely reach my franchise amount anyway, so it makes no difference.

3. It's in this situation that the so-called 'herd immunity' kicks in. Once most of the population is immune the disease will no longer be able to spread, so the 10% who may still be susceptible are protected by lack of exposure to carriers. (That's the theory, as has been demonstrated by many other diseases - whether it works in this one is not yet certain).

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieH (Post 3238043)
Won't be too bad for EU/Switzerland. But for UK - massive issues


'There are fears that Brexit could hold up the coronavirus vaccine in the United Kingdom, as the transition period comes to an end on December 31.
At present, there is an agreement with the European Union to keep the same rules in place until the end of the year, but the country needs a deal to keep many of the existing arrangements in place.
A deal that drops many of those agreements, or no deal at all, could cause significant disruption both for Europe and the UK.
Now there are fears this could have an impact on the coronavirus vaccine, which is expected at the end of this year, or start of next year after health secretary Matt Hancock insisted there would need to be "mammoth logistical operations" to transport the vaccine from the manufacture bases in Germany, Belgium and the US to the patient.'

Not good timing, for sure.

Lol. That really is project fear. You really think the EU would want to upset the country leading the development of the near room temperature stable vaccine?

The Pfizer one will be a complete pita to deploy, unlike the Astrozeneca vaccine. I don't think they will want to pick a fight on this issue.

fatmanfilms 11.11.2020 13:40

Re: Covid 19 vaccine arriving
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HickvonFrick (Post 3238055)
Lol. That really is project fear. You really think the EU would want to upset the country leading the development of the near room temperature stable vaccine?

The Pfizer one will be a complete pita to deploy, unlike the Astrozeneca vaccine. I don't think they will want to pick a fight on this issue.

I guess the UK could hold back supplies until they are happy with the deal :D Suddenly the balance of power would shift.

Then there is the Russian vaccine reportedly 92% successful. Who has a trade agreement with Russia? :D

baboon 11.11.2020 13:43

Re: Covid 19 vaccine arriving
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 3238053)
The Vaccine comes from the US, Switzerland & the EU don't have a trade with the US.
Why will it be a problem for the UK?

I would be more worried about the Vaccine coming from the UK, plenty of doses ordered by the EU & I believe CH, they will be stuck at Dover if you were to be believed :D

European manufacture is in Germany and Belgium as stated by JackieH. Given the storage requirements it is highly unlikely it will be shipped from the US to Europe.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...-COVID-19.html

Just checked AstraZeneca, looks like their European manufacturing sites are Belgium, Italy and the UK. So no problem there either with them being stuck in Dover. BTW vaccines are light so if there isn't an ultra low temperature storage requirement there would be no problem air freighting them. -80 is a bit more of an issue.

Jim2007 11.11.2020 13:47

Re: Covid 19 vaccine arriving
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by janvier (Post 3238021)
Will you get the jab if its not compulsory? And if it is compulsory?

And who will pay-the Health Insurance?

Its 90% successful so what happens to the other 10%?


I very much doubt we're going to have to concern ourselves with this decision for may be 18 months or more.


While the current news is encouraging, it does not look at all like it is suitable for mass immunization. There will be manufacturing issues, there will be distribution failures etc... the only question is what the defect rates will be.


By the time it comes to making that decision we'll be making it in a different context than today.


When the time comes I expect I will take it, but then I'm also likely to be dead before any long term impact of taking it manifest itself. So the way I see it I've more to gain from it that to loose by it.

Caleb 11.11.2020 13:57

Re: Covid 19 vaccine arriving
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace1 (Post 3238028)
1. Yes, I would get it - why not?

Ditto.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace1 (Post 3238028)
2. Who cares? I rarely reach my franchise amount anyway, so it makes no difference.

Ditto.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace1 (Post 3238028)
3. It's in this situation that the so-called 'herd immunity' kicks in. Once most of the population is immune the disease will no longer be able to spread, so the 10% who may still be susceptible are protected by lack of exposure to carriers.

That.

Wow, that was easy. Thnx, Ace.

baboon 11.11.2020 14:00

Re: Covid 19 vaccine arriving
 
I would also certainly take it.

I'm still annoyed with the BAG idiots who seem to think that Switzerland needs its own special full length procedures to authorise the vaccine, therefore we shouldn't except it until next autumn. Fortunately I realised that the needs of the economy will put them right over that idea...

newtoswitz 11.11.2020 14:03

Re: Covid 19 vaccine arriving
 
They will use the vaccine initially for people in high risk groups and for critical people like healthcare.

Pretty much like they did at the start with the flu vaccine, before they extended it to everyone.

Hopefully once it's possible to give a level of protection to those people, the necessity for strict lockdown decreases proportionally, and we may also get some natural herd immunity without too much risk.

So I think it could make quite a big difference fairly quickly. Fingers crossed.

bowlie 11.11.2020 14:07

Re: Covid 19 vaccine arriving
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caleb (Post 3238062)
Ditto.

Ditto.

Wow, that was easy. Thnx, Ace & Caleb.

zuzi666 11.11.2020 21:56

Re: Covid 19 vaccine arriving
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by baboon (Post 3238067)
I'm still annoyed with the BAG idiots who seem to think that Switzerland needs its own special full length procedures to authorise the vaccine, therefore we shouldn't except it until next autumn. Fortunately I realised that the needs of the economy will put them right over that idea...

why do you think that the full procedure is not worthy? we are talking about possible toxicity of the vaccince which was tested so much faster than it is the standard that....who know what to expect.
and no, I am not anti-vax.

zuzi666 11.11.2020 21:58

Re: Covid 19 vaccine arriving
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by newtoswitz (Post 3238070)
They will use the vaccine initially for people in high risk groups and for critical people like healthcare.

where do you get the information about initiating it on people with high risk? high risk people could have higher possiblity on bad reaction for the vaccine and mybe due to fast testing they didn't test on those groups of people.
I still didn't find detailed information about phase 3 clinical study.

zuzi666 11.11.2020 22:01

Re: Covid 19 vaccine arriving
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim2007 (Post 3238061)
I very much doubt we're going to have to concern ourselves with this decision for may be 18 months or more.


While the current news is encouraging, it does not look at all like it is suitable for mass immunization. There will be manufacturing issues, there will be distribution failures etc... the only question is what the defect rates will be.


By the time it comes to making that decision we'll be making it in a different context than today.


When the time comes I expect I will take it, but then I'm also likely to be dead before any long term impact of taking it manifest itself. So the way I see it I've more to gain from it that to loose by it.

completely agree.
it is a big problem that vaccine from Pfizer needs -80C storage. this will complicate vaccination with it. how many local medical practices have capacity for this type of the storage?

JackieH 11.11.2020 22:07

Re: Covid 19 vaccine arriving
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by janvier (Post 3238021)
Will you get the jab if its not compulsory? And if it is compulsory?

And who will pay-the Health Insurance?

Its 90% successfull so what happens to the other 10%?


Question 1 - do you believe any Governement can make a jab compulsory. Somehow I do think there would be riots if the Swiss Government tried.


As for Insurance Ace1, I imagine it woule be free and not part of franchise, at least for at risk groups. And certainly if they made it compulsory (which, as said above, I don't really think they could make this law).


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:49.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0