Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10.01.2021, 20:22
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
deekau has no particular reputation at present
Cost of levothyroxine

Hi,

I am new to Switzerland and am trying to figure out the best health insurance franchise for my case. I moved here from the United States. I am fairly healthy and don't usually visit the doctor except for an annual visit to get some basic blood work and my prescription for levothyroxine renewed. My insurance used to cover the cost of my prescription completely in the United States. Does anyone have any idea on how much the drug costs here and if I should opt for a lower franchise given I need a regular supply of levothyroxine? or is the cost of levothyroxine low enough that it shouldn't be a problem. I am used to taking the generic version of the drug.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12.01.2021, 09:40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Geneva
Posts: 39
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Pdalsantus has no particular reputation at present
Re: Cost of levothyroxine

Hello,

The overall cost per package (50 capsules) is below 25chf and your insurance will cover minimum up to 70% of it. The remaining 30% depends on the franchise limit of your health insurance model (check on comparis web site in English for a full comparison).

I hope this helps you.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12.01.2021, 09:45
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,534
Groaned at 353 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 12,771 Times in 6,082 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of levothyroxine

Quote:
View Post
Hello,

The overall cost per package (50 capsules) is below 25chf and your insurance will cover minimum up to 70% of it. The remaining 30% depends on the franchise limit of your health insurance model (check on comparis web site in English for a full comparison).

I hope this helps you.

Basically you will have to pay for it yourself. Your deductible minimum is 250 CHF and if you only need LThyroxin, you will not reach that threshold.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 12.01.2021, 09:48
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 12,069
Groaned at 198 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 19,346 Times in 8,042 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of levothyroxine

I guess the price varies depending on the dose but the box I have in front of me costs 14.70chf for a hundred 75ug tablets so a whole year’s supply would be under 60chf.
It doesn’t seem worth opting for a lower franchise and higher premiums just for that but it might be worth it if you need specialist visits and other tests associated with it throughout the year.

The insurance company won’t reimburse any if the costs until your franchise is reached and you wouldn’t even reach the lowest franchise possible (300chf) just for the tablets. It’s the consultation costs which will be the biggest expense for you.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 12.01.2021, 10:51
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,084
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,930 Times in 800 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of levothyroxine

Not covered. The blood tests aren't covered either in my experience.
The medication is far from breaking the bank though.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12.01.2021, 11:10
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 12,069
Groaned at 198 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 19,346 Times in 8,042 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of levothyroxine

Quote:
View Post
Not covered. The blood tests aren't covered either in my experience.
The medication is far from breaking the bank though.
They are all covered once the franchise is reached, at least they are for my husband.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12.01.2021, 11:12
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,084
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,930 Times in 800 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of levothyroxine

Quote:
View Post
They are all covered once the franchise is reached, at least they are for my husband.
My tests are pretty much the only routine thing I see a doctor for. My franchise remains beyond reach.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12.01.2021, 11:14
Izzt89's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Zurich, Zug
Posts: 66
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 158 Times in 57 Posts
Izzt89 has earned the respect of manyIzzt89 has earned the respect of manyIzzt89 has earned the respect of many
Quote:
View Post
Hi,

I am new to Switzerland and am trying to figure out the best health insurance franchise for my case. I moved here from the United States. I am fairly healthy and don't usually visit the doctor except for an annual visit to get some basic blood work and my prescription for levothyroxine renewed. My insurance used to cover the cost of my prescription completely in the United States. Does anyone have any idea on how much the drug costs here and if I should opt for a lower franchise given I need a regular supply of levothyroxine? or is the cost of levothyroxine low enough that it shouldn't be a problem. I am used to taking the generic version of the drug.
It doesn't matter if it is original or generics, prices of Levothyroxine are 10 times higher in Switzerland than in the rest of EU countries. I would strongly suggest to take the doctors' prescription, and, in any trip that you make to France, Germany, or any other country, go to a pharmacy, and buy 3 or 4 boxes (for the whole year). If the pharmacist frown (which, s/he shouldn't, as you have an original prescription), just tell him/her that you are on holidays and forgot to pack the pills. Price in EU countries = 2.5 EU/box.
Cheers, and welcome to Switzerland....

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

I am fairly healthy and don't usually visit the doctor except for an annual visit to get some basic blood work and my prescription for levothyroxine renewed. .....
and if I should opt for a lower franchise given I need a regular supply of levothyroxine? or is the cost of levothyroxine low enough that it shouldn't be a problem. I am used to taking the generic version of the drug.
BTW, If you decide to go to the minimum premium (with 2500 CHF cost/year allowance), and you co-pay 300 CHF+ for some GYN yearly check..(let alone the cost of your endocrinologist, which might be even higher), you will see that the Levothyroxine is the least of your costs...

Last edited by roegner; 12.01.2021 at 11:22. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Izzt89 for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 12.01.2021, 11:39
EastEnders's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: former Biennoise, now in Belp
Posts: 2,148
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 3,212 Times in 1,178 Posts
EastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of levothyroxine

Quote:
View Post
Not covered. The blood tests aren't covered either in my experience.
The medication is far from breaking the bank though.
Don't know where you got that info from, Ato.
Ob/Gyn exams and blood tests are also covered by basic insurance.

The blood tests are covered indeed, with basic insurance. They were already over 20yrs ago when my GP did them and are still now when the Endocrinologist does them, as well as the examination.


@OP I got Hashimoto since about ~25 yrs,
First on Eltroxine 0.05mg ( 100 tablets cost 9.35.-), am now on Euthyrox 50mcg ( 100tablets 14.70.-).

I buy the tablets in bulk at my pharmacy for one year ( because my son also has Hashi and is on same meds so should I snuff it, he can inherit them and use them up)

I pay myself, save the bills and at the end of the year I have accumulated more expenses than 500.- ( my deductible minimum) and then send everything in bulk to my insurance.
__________________
Voluntary SWISS shoe -horn to Expats since 1999, do I get a medal now?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank EastEnders for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 12.01.2021, 11:42
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 12,069
Groaned at 198 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 19,346 Times in 8,042 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of levothyroxine

Quote:
View Post
My tests are pretty much the only routine thing I see a doctor for. My franchise remains beyond reach.
Ah, it’s because of your franchise. I thought you meant they weren’t covered per se.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 12.01.2021, 11:49
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,084
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,930 Times in 800 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of levothyroxine

Quote:
View Post
Don't know where you got that info from, Ato.
Ob/Gyn exams and blood tests are also covered by basic insurance.
I'll try again this year so! Don't know why they didn't cover them last year, I still suspect my bargain basement insurance coverage though.
Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ato for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 12.01.2021, 12:14
EastEnders's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: former Biennoise, now in Belp
Posts: 2,148
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 3,212 Times in 1,178 Posts
EastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of levothyroxine

Quote:
View Post
I'll try again this year so! Don't know why they didn't cover them last year, I still suspect my bargain basement insurance coverage though.
Thanks for the info.
Could perhaps be the case indeed, that it depends on the company! DOH, didn't think of that.
I am on plain basic mandatory insurance without any bells and whistles
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank EastEnders for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 12.01.2021, 19:59
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
deekau has no particular reputation at present
Re: Cost of levothyroxine

Thank you for all your responses!

As I am healthy otherwise and the difference in premium between the 300 and 2500 franchise is almost 1500 CHF, I am going to risk it this year and go for the higher franchise. I hope my doctor visit and blood test doesn't come to 1500 CHF!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12.01.2021, 20:35
EastEnders's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: former Biennoise, now in Belp
Posts: 2,148
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 3,212 Times in 1,178 Posts
EastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of levothyroxine

Quote:
View Post
Thank you for all your responses!

As I am healthy otherwise and the difference in premium between the 300 and 2500 franchise is almost 1500 CHF, I am going to risk it this year and go for the higher franchise. I hope my doctor visit and blood test doesn't come to 1500 CHF!
It'll be in the region of 350 to 550 depending on doctor.
Either I misread or misunderstood.... but do you know what the franchise is?

It is the amount you have to pay yourself annually first, before the insurance kicks in. Then the insurance covers 90% of the cost and you cover the other 10%.

A franchise of 1'500 means, you should financially be able to cover 1500.- before the health insurance will cover costs. A franchise as high as that will result in a lower monthly premium. That's all.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank EastEnders for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 12.01.2021, 20:47
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
deekau has no particular reputation at present
Re: Cost of levothyroxine

Quote:
View Post
It'll be in the region of 350 to 550 depending on doctor.
Either I misread or misunderstood.... but do you know what the franchise is?

It is the amount you have to pay yourself annually first, before the insurance kicks in. Then the insurance covers 90% of the cost and you cover the other 10%.

A franchise of 1'500 means, you should financially be able to cover 1500.- before the health insurance will cover costs. A franchise as high as that will result in a lower monthly premium. That's all.

Yes! It seems similar to the deductible in the US. Thank you for an estimate for the doctor visit as well. Assuming a doctor visit charge of 350-550 with the medicines costing ~60 CHF, the most I might end up paying would be ~600-650 for the year, which is still lower than the difference in annual premium for a 300 CHF franchise.... thats my logic to go with the higher franchise.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12.01.2021, 21:08
EastEnders's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: former Biennoise, now in Belp
Posts: 2,148
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 3,212 Times in 1,178 Posts
EastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of levothyroxine

Quote:
View Post
Yes! It seems similar to the deductible in the US. Thank you for an estimate for the doctor visit as well. Assuming a doctor visit charge of 350-550 with the medicines costing ~60 CHF, the most I might end up paying would be ~600-650 for the year, which is still lower than the difference in annual premium for a 300 CHF franchise.... thats my logic to go with the higher franchise.
My estimate is based on an appointment at the endocrinologists and the blood works plus prescription. Regular GP visits are much less.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 13.01.2021, 09:34
Izzt89's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Zurich, Zug
Posts: 66
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 158 Times in 57 Posts
Izzt89 has earned the respect of manyIzzt89 has earned the respect of manyIzzt89 has earned the respect of many
Re: Cost of levothyroxine

Quote:
View Post

@OP I got Hashimoto since about ~25 yrs,
First on Eltroxine 0.05mg ( 100 tablets cost 9.35.-), am now on Euthyrox 50mcg ( 100tablets 14.70.-).

.
The tablets might cost 9.35 or 14.70...but there is a pharmacy 'service fee' in this country for up to 25 CHF... want it or not! (particularly if you don't speak German, they will try to charge it to you)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 13.01.2021, 11:18
EastEnders's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: former Biennoise, now in Belp
Posts: 2,148
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 3,212 Times in 1,178 Posts
EastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of levothyroxine

Quote:
View Post
The tablets might cost 9.35 or 14.70...but there is a pharmacy 'service fee' in this country for up to 25 CHF... want it or not! (particularly if you don't speak German, they will try to charge it to you)
Hence, also why, I buy them in bulk, then you pay those charges only once. If you get that medication individually, the charges would be double each time.
One charge is 7.55.- for explaining the med to you, and 4.30.- is for filing a dossier and double check ( 4 augen Check, e,g asking Co-worker or superior) that it is the right med.

You can simply avoid the 7.55.- charge, when asked if you know the med with yes. Onviously, only when you know the medication indeed
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 14.01.2021, 14:20
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Bern
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
daniellabird has no particular reputation at present
Re: Cost of levothyroxine

Over the years I've had CSS, Group Mutuel, and KPT insurance. Levothyroxine (goes under the names Eltroxin and Euthyrox here) has not been covered until the franchise is met. The cost varies a bit depending on the insurer but is similar to the numbers others have reported:
Approx 22 chf for a box of 100 tablets (100mcg) at the pharmacy, or through the insurer's own pharmacy 14.80 chf per box. So won't break the bank. Lab tests are also not covered by the insurance until the franchise is met.

Unless you have substantial other yearly healthcare costs, it's definitely **not** worth paying more per month for your insurance to have a lower franchise just to get this medication covered.

A "Dauerrezept" here is valid for 1 year, and then they want you to make another appointment with your provider. Once your doctor has seen you a few times, it seems they're relatively ok with providing a prescription renewal for one more year without seeing you in person. I've just tried that for a second year as I'm trying to avoid unnecessary contact with covid until cases drop and such, and they've scheduled a phone consultation before reissuing the prescription.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 14.01.2021, 16:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,359
Groaned at 73 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 10,859 Times in 4,405 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of levothyroxine

Quote:
View Post
Thank you for all your responses!

As I am healthy otherwise and the difference in premium between the 300 and 2500 franchise is almost 1500 CHF, I am going to risk it this year and go for the higher franchise. I hope my doctor visit and blood test doesn't come to 1500 CHF!
That's a risk worth taking if, right from the start, you can set aside 1500 for medical expenses. If you do that at the beginning, you won't ever have to hesitate to get medical treatment, right away, whenever you need it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drug pricing, levothyroxine




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What does it cost to get rid of a car? JLF Transportation/driving 41 08.02.2018 08:21
What does a cost estimate cost (dentist) ? kittekat Family matters/health 0 22.07.2017 11:45
How much will it cost me to own a car here? me4sunny Transportation/driving 35 03.07.2011 08:18
Vet cost?? Yuna Pet corner 6 23.07.2010 16:46
Cost of a tow bar telandy Transportation/driving 7 23.09.2008 21:17


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0