Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 23.02.2021, 19:44
NickGB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 1,118
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,542 Times in 618 Posts
NickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: GP Referral to See Specialist

Yes, I meant the high franchise associated with cheaper insurances. My franchise is CHF300 and you can imagine how quickly that gets used up.


We went to a private clinic for the birth of our daughter, which would have been very expensive otherwise. (I know that is a luxury rather than a necessity)


Mrs GB also likes getting several opinions, so when our daughter broke her arm recently, we weren't quite happy with the opinion from the Kantonspital, so she then went to the childrens hospital in Zurich and then to be doubley sure she went to the Andreas Klinik for another opinion. In all cases the health insurer has not had any issues with all these separate visits.



Then there are all the added benefits (Gym, golf, massage my daughter's ballet lessons and swimming lessons, glasses etc etc)


Then there is the service we receive. We have an account manager, who looks after us, manages all our bills (very quickly) and provides us with any information we need.


So, yes, we probably pay more, but I find it worth the money. (Even if some of that 'value' is peace of mind)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 23.02.2021, 19:45
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 6,201
Groaned at 107 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 6,931 Times in 3,153 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: GP Referral to See Specialist

Quote:
View Post
I can't speak for NickGB, but here's my concern:

I have had trouble accessing expertise, having basic insurance is one reason. For that alone I wish I had private insurance. (I did not qualify for private when I moved here.)

Technically, one needs private insurance to see a Chefarzt in a hospital setting, semi-private insurance to see an Oberarzt in a hospital setting.

Now - this might not be a problem for most of us for most of our lives, less senior doctors are fully able to provide the level of care needed.

However, if you happen to be hit with an illness where only a few doctors have expertise, being able to access that expertise might significantly alter the outcome.

Now, from posts in other threads some EFers report being able to see the Chefarzt or Oberarzt even on basic insurance. Which is great. That unfortunately has not been my experience. I would assume it boils down to hospital policy and the individual specialist. Or perhaps the 'reach' of your referring doctor.'s network

As always, YMMV, perhaps significantly.

---

One fairly cost effective alternative - if you qualify - is to choose a flex plan. Under this type of plan you pay a reasonable addition monthly for the option to upgrade to a higher level of care per hospital event. There is usually then a hefty co-pay for that event, IIRC 4-5K, but that is still significantly less than paying full private out of pocket. One would only exercise this option when really necessary, I would think.

But again you have to qualify in order to get this type of add-on to your basic insurance.

---

As mentioned above, you can also pay fully out of pocket to upgrade your care. But if one is considering this option, be sure to get a detailed cost estimate upfront!
Thatís a bit misleading. If you have basic insurance and you truly need the expertise of a consultant, youíll get it. I only have basic insurance and I got to see one of the top neuro consultants in Europe - and it wasnít even serious. When I had an accident I had all levels of Dr treating me from Junior to Professor.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 23.02.2021, 19:49
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: GP Referral to See Specialist

Quote:
View Post
Yes, I meant the high franchise associated with cheaper insurances. My franchise is CHF300 and you can imagine how quickly that gets used up.


We went to a private clinic for the birth of our daughter, which would have been very expensive otherwise. (I know that is a luxury rather than a necessity)


Mrs GB also likes getting several opinions, so when our daughter broke her arm recently, we weren't quite happy with the opinion from the Kantonspital, so she then went to the childrens hospital in Zurich and then to be doubley sure she went to the Andreas Klinik for another opinion. In all cases the health insurer has not had any issues with all these separate visits.



Then there are all the added benefits (Gym, golf, massage my daughter's ballet lessons and swimming lessons, glasses etc etc)


Then there is the service we receive. We have an account manager, who looks after us, manages all our bills (very quickly) and provides us with any information we need.


So, yes, we probably pay more, but I find it worth the money. (Even if some of that 'value' is peace of mind)
I lived in CH from aged 34 to 54, only 1 year did I spend more than 300 CHF. 15 years the figure was Zero. The highest year was less than 700 CHF so having a large excess paid off many times over as the break even point between max & min excess was around 1700 of expenditure IIRC. Of course if you like going to the Dr YMMV

What was the outcome of your daughters broken arm & 3 opinions?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 23.02.2021, 20:01
NickGB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 1,118
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,542 Times in 618 Posts
NickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: GP Referral to See Specialist

Quote:
View Post
What was the outcome of your daughters broken arm & 3 opinions?

Both the Kinderspital and the Andreas Klinik informed us that they would have treated her arm differently to what it was by the Kantonspital. The result is that her arm now has a curvature, which, 95% sure, should grow out, but if not, she would need an operation. The Kantonspital also provided our paediatrician information which was not correct. Our health insurer has now started an investigation of the Kantonspital on our behalf.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NickGB for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 24.02.2021, 01:31
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: CH
Posts: 158
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 304 Times in 122 Posts
missenglish has a reputation beyond reputemissenglish has a reputation beyond reputemissenglish has a reputation beyond reputemissenglish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: GP Referral to See Specialist

Quote:
View Post
If you have basic insurance and you truly need the expertise of a consultant, youíll get it. I only have basic insurance and I got to see one of the top neuro consultants in Europe - and it wasnít even serious. When I had an accident I had all levels of Dr treating me from Junior to Professor.
That has been my experience throughout. Itís the main reason I am happy with basic insurance only. It helps if you have a degree of health literacy and can separate important questions from unimportant ones, and/or address them to the right people; they may be less eager to accommodate every whim, but if itĎs important, they deliver. The single most important thing is probably having a GP you trust. Makes everything else so much easier.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Referral/Affiliate Links mookicooki Forum support 3 07.12.2019 04:12
Bank Referral Please Jimmy.Johnson Business & entrepreneur 10 01.03.2013 14:22
referral needed TammieE Housing in general 1 11.08.2011 01:26
Assura health insurance referral to specialist darb Insurance 4 19.02.2011 22:33
Referral Letter: What should it contain? bARRON Employment 6 01.02.2010 23:10


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0