Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08.04.2021, 17:48
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Basel
Posts: 61
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
hyper has no particular reputation at present
Annual Health checkup in Basel

Folks,

Any recommended hospitals / clinics for annual health check-up in Basel? Would be great if someone can share their experience and also indicative costs.

Used to do it in India every year. Haven't done it here for the last couple of years. No symptoms, just want to ensure everything is running as it is supposed to be.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08.04.2021, 19:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 2,631
Groaned at 58 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,047 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Annual Health checkup in Basel

I think you have to figure out what kind of check-up you want. Blood test and blood pressure or full body scan? Insurance won't normally pay for check-ups but you can invent some appropriate symptoms.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Landers for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 08.04.2021, 20:13
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,393
Groaned at 2,324 Times in 1,692 Posts
Thanked 38,063 Times in 17,976 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Annual Health checkup in Basel

We don't do annual health checks here, that a USian thing.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 08.04.2021, 20:25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Basel
Posts: 61
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
hyper has no particular reputation at present
Re: Annual Health checkup in Basel

Quote:
View Post
I think you have to figure out what kind of check-up you want. Blood test and blood pressure or full body scan? Insurance won't normally pay for check-ups but you can invent some appropriate symptoms.
Actually, I asked Swica and they cover upto CHF 500 every 3 years for these check-ups.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank hyper for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 08.04.2021, 21:56
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 2,631
Groaned at 58 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,047 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Annual Health checkup in Basel

Quote:
View Post
Actually, I asked Swica and they cover upto CHF 500 every 3 years for these check-ups.
What's included?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Landers for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 08.04.2021, 23:05
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Basel
Posts: 61
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
hyper has no particular reputation at present
Re: Annual Health checkup in Basel

Quote:
View Post
What's included?
Medical check-ups for early diagnosis of illnesses - 90% up to CHF 500 for medical check-ups for early detection of illness every three years
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank hyper for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 09.04.2021, 08:48
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dübi
Posts: 525
Groaned at 13 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 390 Times in 228 Posts
Jaceq has earned the respect of manyJaceq has earned the respect of manyJaceq has earned the respect of many
Re: Annual Health checkup in Basel

Quote:
View Post
We don't do annual health checks here, that a USian thing.

Tom

Not really, in Poland if you work (any job) you will also have a yearly check-ups.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09.04.2021, 09:23
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 2,014
Groaned at 17 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,582 Times in 1,114 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Annual Health checkup in Basel

Quote:
View Post
What's included?
With Swica whatever you want basically. NB it’s part of their supplementary offer and they pay 90% up to CHF 500 every 3 years.

For taking part in marathons in France you need a doctor’s certificate to say you are fit. I’ve had them done twice. General health questionnaire and diagnostics, chest x-ray and then bloods from a menu. The doctor made a recommendation on what to test for, but I could have added anything else.

I imagine your sex and age will play a part in what is recommended to be done by the doctor.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank eyebeebe for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 09.04.2021, 09:31
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,606
Groaned at 429 Times in 326 Posts
Thanked 21,400 Times in 11,221 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Annual Health checkup in Basel

Quote:
View Post
With Swica whatever you want basically. NB it’s part of their supplementary offer and they pay 90% up to CHF 500 every 3 years.

For taking part in marathons in France you need a doctor’s certificate to say you are fit. I’ve had them done twice. General health questionnaire and diagnostics, chest x-ray and then bloods from a menu. The doctor made a recommendation on what to test for, but I could have added anything else.

I imagine your sex and age will play a part in what is recommended to be done by the doctor.
A French Dr will give you a cert for €22 in 2 minutes after taking blood pressure, you need one to get an annual gym membership too.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 09.04.2021, 09:45
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 13,157
Groaned at 211 Times in 188 Posts
Thanked 19,183 Times in 7,801 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Annual Health checkup in Basel

I use the Swica health check every three years. Once you reach fifty, they'll pay for a colonoscopy every 10 years (that's true of all insureres, I think).

The lat time I had the health check, my doctor checked vital signs, sugar levels - checking for age-related health issues. It was a good job as my blood pressure was super high (now under control). I found it strange that the doctor I had before hadn't taken my blood pressure more often - in the UK it was pretty much standard practice.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 09.04.2021, 12:10
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 2,014
Groaned at 17 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,582 Times in 1,114 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Annual Health checkup in Basel

Quote:
View Post
A French Dr will give you a cert for €22 in 2 minutes after taking blood pressure, you need one to get an annual gym membership too.
Sadly for the “race” I enter marathon du Medoc, you have to upload in advance and I can’t guarantee I’ll be in France in that time frame. As it’s part of my health insurance, paid at 90%, and it’s compulsory for me to take that part of the supplementary policy if I want a corporate discount and contribution, I can live with it (and it’s good to check that there’s nothing underlying I need to be concerned about).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank eyebeebe for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 09.04.2021, 17:12
summergirl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 313
Groaned at 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 553 Times in 185 Posts
summergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Annual Health checkup in Basel

OP, how often do you go back to India? I very much recommend you do this back home, if you were happy with the full exam you were able to get there.

In Japan we have special clinics for these full health check-ups. It is usually half a day or one day, depending what you get checked, but when I moved to Switzerland, I realized it doesn't exist for "normal people". The check-ups offered were so basic, it was like a joke (and still cost CHF1.5K)The clinics would tell me "oh you want your eyes checked? you need to go to an optician, for ears, visit a ENT doctor, for your heart a cadiologist, you want bone density?? Tumor markers?? what?? etc." When I explained the full extend of what I normally got checked in Japan, oh yes, they so exist but cost approx 6-10K! (read: those very luxurious medical centers where the wealthy fly in for)

So anyway, I am also with Swica, and also covered for overseas treatment, I book my full medical exam in Japan when I visit my family (which is approx CHF800 for a very extensive list of check-ups) and get 90% reimbursed. It's perfect.
(with the original Japanese receipt, I translate the whole itemized list and get the clinic's official stamp-which is also on the original receipt, and signed by the doctor.)
My parents forward me the results a few weeks later and anything that needs "regular monitoring" or "re-checked", I visit my local doctors here with my report.

So, if you do regular trips back home (annually or every 2 years), I'd recommend going this route.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank summergirl for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 09.04.2021, 17:32
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,606
Groaned at 429 Times in 326 Posts
Thanked 21,400 Times in 11,221 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Annual Health checkup in Basel

Quote:
View Post
OP, how often do you go back to India? I very much recommend you do this back home, if you were happy with the full exam you were able to get there.

In Japan we have special clinics for these full health check-ups. It is usually half a day or one day, depending what you get checked, but when I moved to Switzerland, I realized it doesn't exist for "normal people". The check-ups offered were so basic, it was like a joke (and still cost CHF1.5K)The clinics would tell me "oh you want your eyes checked? you need to go to an optician, for ears, visit a ENT doctor, for your heart a cadiologist, you want bone density?? Tumor markers?? what?? etc." When I explained the full extend of what I normally got checked in Japan, oh yes, they so exist but cost approx 6-10K! (read: those very luxurious medical centers where the wealthy fly in for)

So anyway, I am also with Swica, and also covered for overseas treatment, I book my full medical exam in Japan when I visit my family (which is approx CHF800 for a very extensive list of check-ups) and get 90% reimbursed. It's perfect.
(with the original Japanese receipt, I translate the whole itemized list and get the clinic's official stamp-which is also on the original receipt, and signed by the doctor.)
My parents forward me the results a few weeks later and anything that needs "regular monitoring" or "re-checked", I visit my local doctors here with my report.

So, if you do regular trips back home (annually or every 2 years), I'd recommend going this route.
Tell us how you get on, I doubt they will cover this.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 09.04.2021, 18:01
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,393
Groaned at 2,324 Times in 1,692 Posts
Thanked 38,063 Times in 17,976 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Annual Health checkup in Basel

Quote:
View Post
Actually, I asked Swica and they cover upto CHF 500 every 3 years for these check-ups.
So, that's one every three years, not annual.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 09.04.2021, 21:28
John McClane's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 379
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 279 Times in 142 Posts
John McClane has earned the respect of manyJohn McClane has earned the respect of manyJohn McClane has earned the respect of many
Re: Annual Health checkup in Basel

Quote:
View Post
Folks,

Any recommended hospitals / clinics for annual health check-up in Basel?



Medbase, on Henric Petri-strasse !!
They have a lot of equipment for taking most tests !!

You'd need to call and take an appointment !!


They speak Shuddh Hindi too !!






Kidding , they speak English well !!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank John McClane for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 09.04.2021, 22:01
kri's Avatar
kri kri is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,790
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,515 Times in 789 Posts
kri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Annual Health checkup in Basel

Quote:
View Post
Tell us how you get on, I doubt they will cover this.
I think OP needs to read the general insurance conditions and get someone to help him understand them or may come and rant about Swica being unethical in a few months
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank kri for this useful post:
This user groans at kri for this post:
  #17  
Old 09.04.2021, 22:28
summergirl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 313
Groaned at 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 553 Times in 185 Posts
summergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Annual Health checkup in Basel

Quote:
View Post
Tell us how you get on, I doubt they will cover this.
I’ve specifically called Swica before, telling them exactly what I wanted to do, and with the coverage I had it was no problem. As per their policy, I’ve been reimbursed 90%.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank summergirl for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 09.04.2021, 22:30
summergirl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 313
Groaned at 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 553 Times in 185 Posts
summergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Annual Health checkup in Basel

Quote:
View Post
I think OP needs to read the general insurance conditions and get someone to help him understand them or may come and rant about Swica being unethical in a few months
Yes, OP definitely needs to check first how he/she is covered. Unlike Mobility, it’s not even “fine print” Annual health check or not, it was important for me to be able to seek treatment outside of CH as well so I made sure I was covered right.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank summergirl for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 10.04.2021, 08:41
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Basel
Posts: 61
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
hyper has no particular reputation at present
Re: Annual Health checkup in Basel

Quote:
View Post
OP, how often do you go back to India? I very much recommend you do this back home, if you were happy with the full exam you were able to get there.
Typically, every year and I normally get it done in India as it is way cheaper as you mentioned. Haven't travelled and don't plan to in the near future due to Covid; hence, was looking for something here.

Quote:
View Post
So anyway, I am also with Swica, and also covered for overseas treatment, I book my full medical exam in Japan when I visit my family (which is approx CHF800 for a very extensive list of check-ups) and get 90% reimbursed. It's perfect.
Mine does not cover overseas treatment except emergencies; however, it is just around CHF 150-200 in India for a full medical exam.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10.04.2021, 08:50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Basel
Posts: 61
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
hyper has no particular reputation at present
Re: Annual Health checkup in Basel

Quote:
View Post
I think OP needs to read the general insurance conditions and get someone to help him understand them or may come and rant about Swica being unethical in a few months
It's funny how you advise to be nice to others while being snarky in your posts. This post is irrelevant here and not helpful!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at hyper for this post:
Reply

Tags
annualhealthcheckup




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to do Annual Health Check in Zurich LieInZurich Daily life 8 02.01.2019 10:34
health checkup during pregnency aout07 Insurance 12 17.01.2015 14:15
Is the Basel TNW annual pass refundable? Castro Transportation/driving 4 03.01.2011 15:07
Annual health Care Bill for someone in general good health OBone Insurance 12 01.05.2010 17:12
Health insurance question (Initial checkup) SherryLady Insurance 0 08.07.2009 22:22


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0