Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14.04.2021, 18:19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Italy
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Elisabeth has no particular reputation at present
Health insurance for a newborn?!?

Hi,

We are about to arrange the insurance policy for our baby coming this autumn and I was hoping to find some answers here. It's the first time and we have just moved to Switzerland, so kind of a jungle for us.

We have Helsana and have decided to go with the basic insurance of choice. We then have a choice of supplementary insurance to add. One is called "top" and is the more basic one. Then there is one with called "completa" and it's the more complete covering things like alternative medicine, dental care ect. Does anyone have experience in this matter? We wonder if it's important to pick "completa" right from the start or if we can add that later for the child?
Also, they have added "legal insurance" do we really need this in the first years for a baby? I hope someone have some useful input for me
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14.04.2021, 18:48
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,465
Groaned at 205 Times in 170 Posts
Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,371 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health insurance for a newborn?!?

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

We are about to arrange the insurance policy for our baby coming this autumn and I was hoping to find some answers here. It's the first time and we have just moved to Switzerland, so kind of a jungle for us.

We have Helsana and have decided to go with the basic insurance of choice. We then have a choice of supplementary insurance to add. One is called "top" and is the more basic one. Then there is one with called "completa" and it's the more complete covering things like alternative medicine, dental care ect. Does anyone have experience in this matter? We wonder if it's important to pick "completa" right from the start or if we can add that later for the child?
Also, they have added "legal insurance" do we really need this in the first years for a baby? I hope someone have some useful input for me
You best include the baby in your family insurance.
Supplementary insurance is a personal decision. I cancelled mine because I see no need for it at the Swiss level. Unless of course you already know you want any crazy alternative medicine available. Others will be able to give you detailed advice on that.

Legal insurance for the baby?? What do the genes say, will it definitely be a brat?
AfaIk, anything children brake is covered by the liability insurance of the parents. And I doubt your child will be taken to court before the age of 10 or 15 or so??

Don't overdo it with the insurances!! They will try to sell you anything.
__________________
It Ainít What You Donít Know That Gets You Into Trouble. Itís What You Know for Sure That Just Ainít So
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 14.04.2021, 18:53
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Italy
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Elisabeth has no particular reputation at present
Re: Health insurance for a newborn?!?

Quote:
View Post
You best include the baby in your family insurance.
Supplementary insurance is a personal decision. I cancelled mine because I see no need for it at the Swiss level. Unless of course you already know you want any crazy alternative medicine available. Others will be able to give you detailed advice on that.

Legal insurance for the baby?? What do the genes say, will it definitely be a brat?
AfaIk, anything children brake is covered by the liability insurance of the parents. And I doubt your child will be taken to court before the age of 10 or 15 or so??

Don't overdo it with the insurances!! They will try to sell you anything.

Thanks a million! This is very helpful! And yeah, legal cover I don't get, just wanted to get that straight and ask as life in Switzerland is new to me
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14.04.2021, 18:55
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,536
Groaned at 58 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 7,523 Times in 3,373 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health insurance for a newborn?!?

good that you get health insurance before the child is born.

I would recommend getting good dental for the child too.

The cost will max out around 250 a month, I expect? If there is major stuff you need for the child such as orthodontic treatment in the teens, it will cost you plenty.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 14.04.2021, 20:11
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,782
Groaned at 88 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 11,729 Times in 4,763 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health insurance for a newborn?!?

There's a difference between broad legal insurance for all sorts of things, and specific legal insurance limited to just one field.

The legal insurance sold by a medical insurance company (Krankenkasse in German and caisse maladie in French) may be for only those legal matters which are to do with medical issues. (By the way, the tenants' association, called Mieterverband in German and Asloca in French, has a similar field-related legal insurance which is only for matters to do with being a tenant.) This limitation can drive the premium down rather nicely.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 14.04.2021, 20:27
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Italy
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Elisabeth has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
good that you get health insurance before the child is born.

I would recommend getting good dental for the child too.

The cost will max out around 250 a month, I expect? If there is major stuff you need for the child such as orthodontic treatment in the teens, it will cost you plenty.

I understand. But is it necessary to have the dental and orthodontic treatments added already when the child is born? Or can we change this for example when the child is a couple of years older? This is where we are stuck.

Quote:
View Post
There's a difference between broad legal insurance for all sorts of things, and specific legal insurance limited to just one field.

The legal insurance sold by a medical insurance company (Krankenkasse in German and caisse maladie in French) may be for only those legal matters which are to do with medical issues. (By the way, the tenants' association, called Mieterverband in German and Asloca in French, has a similar field-related legal insurance which is only for matters to do with being a tenant.) This limitation can drive the premium down rather nicely.

Ah I see, so it's worth asking the insurance company more specific what is covered in the legal cover.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 14.04.2021 at 21:46. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 14.04.2021, 20:30
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,536
Groaned at 58 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 7,523 Times in 3,373 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health insurance for a newborn?!?

certainly it's worth getting good insurance before the child is born because once the child is born and (hopefully not but) any significant issue is discovered, above-basic health insurance becomes expensive.

ask this of your provider. But I think any complication in health would make the insurance not available or expensive.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sean Connery for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 15.04.2021, 11:42
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Luzern
Posts: 119
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 72 Times in 35 Posts
memihai is considered knowledgeablememihai is considered knowledgeablememihai is considered knowledgeable
Re: Health insurance for a newborn?!?

better add the alternative medicine now. You may cancel it later if not needed.
dentist : you have time until child is 3-4 years old

if you need to add alternative medicine insurance, then they will insure the child with exceptions if you find something after birth.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank memihai for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 15.04.2021, 14:18
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: ZŁrich
Posts: 148
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 129 Times in 69 Posts
erchegyia has slipped a little
Re: Health insurance for a newborn?!?

Quote:
View Post
I understand. But is it necessary to have the dental and orthodontic treatments added already when the child is born? Or can we change this for example when the child is a couple of years older? This is where we are stuck.
I wouldn't recommend planning for this. Later you try to add it, the more chance for refusal. In the end, it's an insurance... You could also try to put the money to what you would send on the premium to a jar and use it to pay orthodontics later on. Personal preference, but supplemental for children is relatively cheap
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank erchegyia for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 16.04.2021, 10:14
peaky's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: zurich
Posts: 357
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 245 Times in 135 Posts
peaky has earned the respect of manypeaky has earned the respect of manypeaky has earned the respect of many
Re: Health insurance for a newborn?!?

How it was explained to us. You should take out the basic insurance and then the max complimentary package prior to the birth.

After the birth you can cancel or adjust the complimentary as required.

The logic being, if there are any issues or complications at birth and the baby doesnt have the complimentary insurance to cover this, they will never have it as the insurance wont accept to cover a known issue.

And with this logic in mind, if there was any issue, you will never be able to change the complimentary insurance, it will only be covered by the provider that covered you at birth. So dont go for providers that give you a great lead in deals but are unreasonable after the first year. You really should look at the full price no offer conditions and pick one you would accept that you could be stuck with for a long time.

It sounds all negative but it really is just business, and how the Swiss system works
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank peaky for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 16.04.2021, 10:25
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Luzern
Posts: 119
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 72 Times in 35 Posts
memihai is considered knowledgeablememihai is considered knowledgeablememihai is considered knowledgeable
Re: Health insurance for a newborn?!?

Quote:
View Post
How it was explained to us. You should take out the basic insurance and then the max complimentary package prior to the birth.

After the birth you can cancel or adjust the complimentary as required.

The logic being, if there are any issues or complications at birth and the baby doesnt have the complimentary insurance to cover this, they will never have it as the insurance wont accept to cover a known issue.

And with this logic in mind, if there was any issue, you will never be able to change the complimentary insurance, it will only be covered by the provider that covered you at birth. So dont go for providers that give you a great lead in deals but are unreasonable after the first year. You really should look at the full price no offer conditions and pick one you would accept that you could be stuck with for a long time.

It sounds all negative but it really is just business, and how the Swiss system works
Yes and no.
Adjusting the insurance at a later point in time will require a new assessment anyway and leads to the same problems. So if you want to change from complimentary II to complimentary I (example)

Offer conditions: the offers that I have seen usually have 1-2-3% discount for the first 2-5 years so not much of a difference. We are talking of premiums that cost anyway 10-15-20 CHF/month.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 16.04.2021, 11:20
kri's Avatar
kri kri is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,791
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,520 Times in 789 Posts
kri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health insurance for a newborn?!?

Quote:
View Post
Yes and no.
Adjusting the insurance at a later point in time will require a new assessment anyway and leads to the same problems. So if you want to change from complimentary II to complimentary I (example)
Will it require an assessment if you decide to lower protection? Personally I never had to do that, only for increasing the protection but may depend on providers.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank kri for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 16.04.2021, 13:53
Mica's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 894
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1,149 Times in 508 Posts
Mica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health insurance for a newborn?!?

Your baby will be covered by basic insurance anyway, so you are only looking at additional insurance.

1. Already insure your baby with additional insurance prior to it being born. While your baby will not get the benefit of a "private" room should it ever need to go to hospital (childrens wards generally do not have it), should there be any issues at birth you will be covered for other treatments, etc, etc. You in any event only start paying once the baby is borne.

2. Whether you want to continue the additional insurance is a matter of finances and risk appetite. Basic insurance will get you quite far in Switzerland but there are always add-ons. I at least get some of the premiums back, e.g. by having the swimming courses reimbursed.

3. Dental insurance: Some insurers let you insure your child up to three years after birth without requiring an examination. So less urgency there. Considering that there is a high chance that a child will get braces... (i.e. believe around 50% in Switzerland) it is essentially flipping the coin.
__________________
Liability for any statements hereinabove excluded! - Need a Swiss lawyer PM me.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 19.04.2021, 09:30
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JoanPiper has no particular reputation at present
Re: insurance

The main thing is family insurance, apply for it first!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 29.04.2021, 13:06
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wallisellen
Posts: 30
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 10 Posts
weeksy has no particular reputation at present
Re: Health insurance for a newborn?!?

Weíre currently going through this process. Is there any reason for the baby to be with the same health insurance provider as the parents? Iíve found I can get better cover cheaper elsewhere but Iím not sure on downsides (if any)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 29.04.2021, 13:36
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,536
Groaned at 58 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 7,523 Times in 3,373 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health insurance for a newborn?!?

your administrative overheads....
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 29.04.2021, 14:22
kri's Avatar
kri kri is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,791
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,520 Times in 789 Posts
kri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health insurance for a newborn?!?

Quote:
View Post
Weíre currently going through this process. Is there any reason for the baby to be with the same health insurance provider as the parents? Iíve found I can get better cover cheaper elsewhere but Iím not sure on downsides (if any)
Downside is only the amount of work you need to do to understand the different policies. 2 apps, 2 processes etc. Personally unless the advantage is SO HIGH I would not do it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank kri for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 29.04.2021, 19:52
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wallisellen
Posts: 30
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 10 Posts
weeksy has no particular reputation at present
Re: Health insurance for a newborn?!?

Thanks both

Itís around 360chf a year difference with better supplemental coverage - probably worth the extra admin hassle
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank weeksy for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 29.04.2021, 20:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,782
Groaned at 88 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 11,729 Times in 4,763 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: insurance

Quote:
View Post
The main thing is family insurance, apply for it first!
Does family insurance exist, as a product, in the Swiss system? I'd always thought each person was insured individually.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 29.04.2021, 20:07
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,412
Groaned at 2,325 Times in 1,692 Posts
Thanked 38,091 Times in 17,990 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: insurance

Quote:
View Post
Does family insurance exist, as a product, in the Swiss system?
No.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Health insurance for newborn Tanya Insurance 33 14.10.2017 21:06
Health insurance for newborn - supplementary or not? expatnut Insurance 0 08.05.2017 23:18
Newborn fee trap: mother has foreign health insurance but baby has Swiss insurance wellswulsin Family matters/health 0 16.04.2016 11:18
Newborn insurance drkarthiks Insurance 9 05.11.2015 00:30
Newborn baby insurance : advice needed aout07 Insurance 19 20.09.2011 09:30


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0