Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03.10.2021, 03:02
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 94
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
MoiToi has made some interesting contributions
Visiting UK with single COVID dose from CH

As you might know by now that UK is no more accepting single dose vaccinated people from Switzerland (People who have had covid before were given only one dose in CH), is there any advise what i should do?
I see no other option that taking two more doses of vaccine.

Kindly advise if you have any better suggestion. I must visit UK for an important trip. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03.10.2021, 08:11
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 6,919
Groaned at 126 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 7,855 Times in 3,558 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Visiting UK with single COVID dose from CH

You can have one more dose of the vaccine - then you have the required 2.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 03.10.2021, 08:49
otec's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Lugano
Posts: 644
Groaned at 249 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 491 Times in 244 Posts
otec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthy
Re: Visiting UK with single COVID dose from CH

Quote:
View Post
As you might know by now that UK is no more accepting single dose vaccinated people from Switzerland (People who have had covid before were given only one dose in CH), is there any advise what i should do?
I see no other option that taking two more doses of vaccine.

Kindly advise if you have any better suggestion. I must visit UK for an important trip. Thanks
You can travel any time without vaccine. Just need to take 3 tests. 5 days if quarantine with TTR
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03.10.2021, 09:48
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 14,387
Groaned at 285 Times in 242 Posts
Thanked 24,815 Times in 10,094 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Visiting UK with single COVID dose from CH

You can just get a second dose of the vaccine and you’ll be covered for the uk.

There is now a walk in vaccination centre in the Maladière shopping centre open every day where you can get the vaccine without an appointment.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 03.10.2021, 11:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 4,035
Groaned at 498 Times in 363 Posts
Thanked 4,008 Times in 2,107 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Visiting UK with single COVID dose from CH

How many days does one have to wait before the second dose?

Last edited by Belgianmum; 03.10.2021 at 12:24. Reason: Ignore me. Edited instead of quoted. Corrected now.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03.10.2021, 12:14
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,592
Groaned at 93 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 20,288 Times in 8,973 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Visiting UK with single COVID dose from CH

Quote:
View Post
How many days does one have to wait before the second dose?
In CH they have been doing 4 weeks between doses.

I think what otec says above is probably correct, though. It's not that the UK won't let you in at all, but that you might need more tests and/or quarantine.

Even so, friends of mine traveled to the UK last week. One of them only had one shot due to having Covid. AFAIK they weren't turned back. They had been in touch with one of the government offices to check permissions; sorry I don't know which one!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03.10.2021, 12:19
Sky's Avatar
Sky Sky is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere special far away
Posts: 4,322
Groaned at 69 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 7,205 Times in 2,664 Posts
Sky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Visiting UK with single COVID dose from CH

The rules will have changed as of Oct 4 according to the gov.uk website.
I believe you still can travel if partially vaccinated but must quarantine.
Check the website.

Last edited by Sky; 03.10.2021 at 12:33.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03.10.2021, 12:25
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 14,387
Groaned at 285 Times in 242 Posts
Thanked 24,815 Times in 10,094 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Visiting UK with single COVID dose from CH

Quote:
View Post
How many days does one have to wait before the second dose?

Minimum 3 weeks for Pfizer and 4 for Moderna.

I may have misunderstood the OP but I assumed that they had already had a single dose some time ago as recommended for people who had already had Covid.
In that case they can just go and get the second dose immediately. I think they then automatically get the Covid certificate which will allow them to travel to the UK as a fully vaccinated person without the need for the extra tests etc.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 03.10.2021, 12:31
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 4,035
Groaned at 498 Times in 363 Posts
Thanked 4,008 Times in 2,107 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Visiting UK with single COVID dose from CH

Sorry I must have poorly phrased my question (which has now been edited)- I meant- when you have the second dose, how many days do you have to wait afterwards to travel. Can you travel same day, or day after- or is there a number of days before the Covid Cert becomes valid.

We were discussing this recently with friends who have not had second dose as they had confirmed/tested Covid, and they believed they would have to wait after second vax.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JackieH for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 03.10.2021, 12:35
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Vaud
Posts: 163
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 253 Times in 109 Posts
keyboardandmouse has a reputation beyond reputekeyboardandmouse has a reputation beyond reputekeyboardandmouse has a reputation beyond reputekeyboardandmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Visiting UK with single COVID dose from CH

Quote:
View Post
Sorry I must have poorly phrased my question (which has now been edited)- I meant- when you have the second dose, how many days do you have to wait afterwards to travel. Can you travel same day, or day after- or is there a number of days before the Covid Cert becomes valid.

We were discussing this recently with friends who have not had second dose as they had confirmed/tested Covid, and they believed they would have to wait after second vax.
Its 14 days. There must be 14 clear days since the second jab was administered before you are considered fully vaccinated.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank keyboardandmouse for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 03.10.2021, 12:36
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 6,919
Groaned at 126 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 7,855 Times in 3,558 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Visiting UK with single COVID dose from CH

Quote:
View Post
Sorry I must have poorly phrased my question (which has now been edited)- I meant- when you have the second dose, how many days do you have to wait afterwards to travel. Can you travel same day, or day after- or is there a number of days before the Covid Cert becomes valid.

We were discussing this recently with friends who have not had second dose as they had confirmed/tested Covid, and they believed they would have to wait after second vax.
Depends on country but normally 2 weeks after 2nd dose.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 03.10.2021, 12:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 4,035
Groaned at 498 Times in 363 Posts
Thanked 4,008 Times in 2,107 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Visiting UK with single COVID dose from CH

For the UK. Yes, this is what they thought. You can't do second dose and just go.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03.10.2021, 12:55
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 14,387
Groaned at 285 Times in 242 Posts
Thanked 24,815 Times in 10,094 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Visiting UK with single COVID dose from CH

Quote:
View Post
Sorry I must have poorly phrased my question (which has now been edited)- I meant- when you have the second dose, how many days do you have to wait afterwards to travel. Can you travel same day, or day after- or is there a number of days before the Covid Cert becomes valid.

We were discussing this recently with friends who have not had second dose as they had confirmed/tested Covid, and they believed they would have to wait after second vax.
I didn’t actually edit your question.

Just accidentally added a bit which I subsequently deleted.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 03.10.2021, 12:56
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 14,387
Groaned at 285 Times in 242 Posts
Thanked 24,815 Times in 10,094 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Visiting UK with single COVID dose from CH

Quote:
View Post
Depends on country but normally 2 weeks after 2nd dose.
Yes, you need to check the rules for the country you’re travelling to.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03.10.2021, 15:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 4,035
Groaned at 498 Times in 363 Posts
Thanked 4,008 Times in 2,107 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Visiting UK with single COVID dose from CH

Of course- the OP however was about the UK. So does anyone know the answer?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03.10.2021, 15:26
Sky's Avatar
Sky Sky is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere special far away
Posts: 4,322
Groaned at 69 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 7,205 Times in 2,664 Posts
Sky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Visiting UK with single COVID dose from CH

Yes, all of the information regarding the new travel requirements as of Oct 4 can be found on gov.uk
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sky for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 04.10.2021, 00:03
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 94
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
MoiToi has made some interesting contributions
Re: bringing aging parent from UK to CH

Thanks all for your support.

I took one & only vaccine in May. Don’t know if I can take second, as per below text, I must take second, thought in first paragraphs it’s written “if I’m fully vaccinated in Switzerland, I will be considered fully vaccinated”, but at last lines, they negate the single dose as fully vaccinated. Bizarre.

What counts as fully vaccinated
You may not be considered to be fully vaccinated for the purpose of entering the UK even if you’re considered to be fully vaccinated in your country of origin.

In the UK, ‘fully vaccinated’ means you’ve had either:

2 doses of an approved 2 dose vaccine (such as Pfizer or AstraZeneca)
one dose of an approved single dose vaccine (such as Janssen)
You must have had your final dose at least 14 whole days before you arrive in England. The day you had your final dose does not count as one of the 14 days.

2 dose vaccines
If you were vaccinated with a 2 dose vaccine (such as Moderna or Pfizer) you must have had both doses to be considered fully vaccinated. This applies in all cases, even if you have recently recovered from COVID-19 and have natural immunity. Those who have had COVID-19 and have only had one dose of a 2 dose vaccine must follow the rules for unvaccinated arrivals.

Where 2 doses of a vaccine are required for a full course, you can:

mix 2 different types of vaccine, for example Oxford/AstraZeneca and Moderna
have the 2 vaccinations under 2 different approved programmes
For example, if you’ve had one dose of Oxford/AstraZeneca in the USA and one dose of Moderna in an EU country, you are fully vaccinated.

Mixed vaccines are only permitted if you’re vaccinated under the UK, Europe, USA or UK overseas vaccination programmes.

You must be able to show proof of your vaccination status – see ‘Proving you’ve been fully vaccinated’ below.

Single dose vaccines
If you had an approved one dose vaccine, such as Janssen, you are fully vaccinated.


Copied from https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-q...ive-in-england
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04.10.2021, 00:17
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 4,035
Groaned at 498 Times in 363 Posts
Thanked 4,008 Times in 2,107 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: bringing aging parent from UK to CH

Are you sure you are posting in the right thread?

The UK requires 2 doses of vax, and 14 days wait after second dose.

Or 1 dose if from Johnson's vax, which is a specific 1 dose vaccine.


For UK you have to wait 14 days after second shot

Last edited by JackieH; 04.10.2021 at 11:59.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04.10.2021, 01:57
Sky's Avatar
Sky Sky is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere special far away
Posts: 4,322
Groaned at 69 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 7,205 Times in 2,664 Posts
Sky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Visiting UK with single COVID dose from CH

Hi MoiToi, I think you would like your recent post to be here.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04.10.2021, 12:15
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 14,387
Groaned at 285 Times in 242 Posts
Thanked 24,815 Times in 10,094 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: bringing aging parent from UK to CH

Quote:
View Post
Thanks all for your support.

I took one & only vaccine in May. Don’t know if I can take second, as per below text, I must take second, thought in first paragraphs it’s written “if I’m fully vaccinated in Switzerland, I will be considered fully vaccinated”, but at last lines, they negate the single dose as fully vaccinated. Bizarre.

What counts as fully vaccinated
You may not be considered to be fully vaccinated for the purpose of entering the UK even if you’re considered to be fully vaccinated in your country of origin.

In the UK, ‘fully vaccinated’ means you’ve had either:

2 doses of an approved 2 dose vaccine (such as Pfizer or AstraZeneca)
one dose of an approved single dose vaccine (such as Janssen)
You must have had your final dose at least 14 whole days before you arrive in England. The day you had your final dose does not count as one of the 14 days.

2 dose vaccines
If you were vaccinated with a 2 dose vaccine (such as Moderna or Pfizer) you must have had both doses to be considered fully vaccinated. This applies in all cases, even if you have recently recovered from COVID-19 and have natural immunity. Those who have had COVID-19 and have only had one dose of a 2 dose vaccine must follow the rules for unvaccinated arrivals.

Where 2 doses of a vaccine are required for a full course, you can:

mix 2 different types of vaccine, for example Oxford/AstraZeneca and Moderna
have the 2 vaccinations under 2 different approved programmes
For example, if you’ve had one dose of Oxford/AstraZeneca in the USA and one dose of Moderna in an EU country, you are fully vaccinated.

Mixed vaccines are only permitted if you’re vaccinated under the UK, Europe, USA or UK overseas vaccination programmes.

You must be able to show proof of your vaccination status – see ‘Proving you’ve been fully vaccinated’ below.

Single dose vaccines
If you had an approved one dose vaccine, such as Janssen, you are fully vaccinated.


Copied from https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-q...ive-in-england
It seems pretty clear to me.

You go and get a second dose of the vaccine here (which is totally possible and very easy to do) get your new Covid certificate and wait 14 days before travelling to the UK. You will then be considered fully vaccinated by the uk authorities.

If you don’t do that you will be classed as unvaccinated by the uk authorities and will need to follow the procedures for unvaccinated travellers.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shingles after 1st dose of Covid Vaccine dilip_gem Family matters/health 32 03.08.2021 16:39
What would you do if single and not visiting family over the holidays aa_248 Daily life 34 22.11.2017 02:07
Daughter got a dose of tear gas NotAllThere Daily life 6 04.03.2016 11:50
Metered Dose Inhaler Counter? meloncollie Family matters/health 2 17.11.2014 11:55
dose me haha Family matters/health 9 28.01.2010 20:02


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0