Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01.07.2022, 10:50
Susie-Q's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 2,830
Groaned at 504 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 6,294 Times in 2,255 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Menopausal ladies in Switzerland, have you received good medical treatment?

Quote:
View Post
My mum went through the menopause at 41 almost certainly due to a thyroid condition she had. She tried HRT but couldn’t get on with it so struggled on without it. I was still quite young at the time and it wasn’t until years later when she told me about it that I put the pieces together and realised that that was probably the cause of some of her strange behaviour during that time.
She ended up with a badly fractured femur and pelvis as a result of a simple little fall at age 51 due to undiagnosed osteoporosis and had to have a total hip replacement.
Thyroid issues also run in my family and I could have sworn that was my problem - but my numbers turned out fine.

Results showed I am completely deficient in testosterone, which causes almost the exact same symptoms as hypothyroidism. Anything below 20 ng/dl is considered low for perimenopausal women - and I am -0.25

Osteoporosis can also caused by low testosterone, so I will certainly be speaking with the hormonal specialist about this. Never thought I would take that kind of hormone, but many women on the menopause Reddit sub rave about it ...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Susie-Q for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 01.07.2022, 11:22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: zurich
Posts: 71
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 52 Times in 28 Posts
kari. has no particular reputation at present
Re: Menopausal ladies in Switzerland, have you received good medical treatment?

https://gyn-health.ch/

I would be prepared to say what you want a trail of (3 months).

it took me 2+ years to find a doctor to give me the right product and right dosage
the 7 other dr insisted to not allow or take me off all HT/HRT...they were not up to date.

It seems that some dr.s are up to date as I am hearing from friends it is getting easier

Last edited by kari.; 01.07.2022 at 11:29. Reason: clearer to understand
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank kari. for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 01.07.2022, 11:32
smackerjack's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.K/VAUD
Posts: 2,271
Groaned at 14 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 2,748 Times in 1,129 Posts
smackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Menopausal ladies in Switzerland, have you received good medical treatment?

I really wished that I was able to take HRT but as I suffer from heart disease I was told it was not an option -although some studies say it does protect our heart.
I have several friends who take it and some who wished they could but their Drs would not prescribe it - due to breast cancer concerns - which now have changed.
I wish you well Susie Q - as I was basically told to suck it up as I couldn't take anything I did take mainly soya milk and stopped dairy - I think it helped but the worst thing for me was the sleepless nights which is still an issue 10 years after.

I think everyones experience is different - mine kicked in at 53 and when I think how I was I was a different person who I normally am.

Get all the help you can - discussing it like we do on here is a tremendous help - hugs to everyone going through it
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank smackerjack for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 01.07.2022, 11:41
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: zurich
Posts: 71
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 52 Times in 28 Posts
kari. has no particular reputation at present
Re: Menopausal ladies in Switzerland, have you received good medical treatment?

https://www.balance-menopause.com/me...ormed-choices/

some UK doctors are challenging the current protocol for HER+

https://balance-menopause.com/upload...cer-care-2.pdf

https://www.balance-menopause.com/subject/hrt/
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01.07.2022, 13:36
MegsB's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Airport
Posts: 211
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 508 Times in 144 Posts
MegsB has a reputation beyond reputeMegsB has a reputation beyond reputeMegsB has a reputation beyond reputeMegsB has a reputation beyond reputeMegsB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Menopausal ladies in Switzerland, have you received good medical treatment?

I messaged OP privately, but then reconsidered as many women may benefit from finding a physician who is knowledgable about menopause, and willing to offer advice, information, and guidance about HRT.

https://www.frauenarztzuerich.ch/
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank MegsB for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 01.07.2022, 14:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich City
Posts: 7,835
Groaned at 609 Times in 359 Posts
Thanked 9,750 Times in 4,529 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Menopausal ladies in Switzerland, have you received good medical treatment?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks so much dear ladies, for all of your answers and well wishes. I also don't mind some humor in this thread, I love laughs in otherwise miserable situations.
OK, how‘s this :

https://youtu.be/Zn15pht6VIs
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 01.07.2022, 15:56
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich City
Posts: 7,835
Groaned at 609 Times in 359 Posts
Thanked 9,750 Times in 4,529 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Menopausal ladies in Switzerland, have you received good medical treatment?

Susie-Q, I get that you‘re referring to Reddit a couple of times, so I went and looked at that. Wow, that would be enough to make me scared of a perfectly natural part of life, that we all (with female genitals) experience as well!

Stop worrying. Being on the „other side“ now, is just a good feeling. So what that we need to run our wrists under cold water before every meeting for a while, or need to feel for our hips occassionally just to make sure that they are still there, or have to put-up with male doctors in a sleep lab trying to diagnose why we have insomnia since years - don‘t be scared.

I admire you for seeking the best possible help, and understand your motives - but it‘s just a part of life that make women even stronger
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01.07.2022, 16:16
Susie-Q's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 2,830
Groaned at 504 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 6,294 Times in 2,255 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Menopausal ladies in Switzerland, have you received good medical treatment?

Quote:
View Post
Susie-Q, I get that you‘re referring to Reddit a couple of times, so I went and looked at that. Wow, that would be enough to make me scared of a perfectly natural part of life, that we all (with female genitals) experience as well!

Stop worrying. Being on the „other side“ now, is just a good feeling. So what that we need to run our wrists under cold water before every meeting for a while, or need to feel for our hips occassionally just to make sure that they are still there, or have to put-up with male doctors in a sleep lab trying to diagnose why we have insomnia since years - don‘t be scared.

I admire you for seeking the best possible help, and understand your motives - but it‘s just a part of life that make women even stronger
Please note I am not worried or scared - I am trying to seek medical care for something I am already living in. I also know you are trying to help (and thanks), but you are not. There are women out there who don't just need to run their wrists under cold water and eat walnuts to feel normal. The women's stories on Reddit are real. I've seen women go through the same in my life and now I am feeling it too, it really sucks.

And discounting it as just a "natural" part of life is the kind of gaslighting women have received for decades in medical care. If a man for even a second went through the fraction of what a woman went through, there were be loads of research & medical treatments on the market.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Susie-Q for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 01.07.2022, 16:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich City
Posts: 7,835
Groaned at 609 Times in 359 Posts
Thanked 9,750 Times in 4,529 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Menopausal ladies in Switzerland, have you received good medical treatment?

Quote:
View Post
Please note I am not worried or scared - I am trying to seek medical care for something I am already living in. I also know you are trying to help (and thanks), but you are not. There are women out there who don't just need to run their wrists under cold water and eat walnuts to feel normal. The women's stories on Reddit are real. I've seen women go through the same in my life and now I am feeling it too, it really sucks.

And discounting it as just a "natural" part of life is the kind of gaslighting women have received for decades in medical care. If a man for even a second went through the fraction of what a woman went through, there were be loads of research & medical treatments on the market.
Apologies if I’ve offended you. I went through absolute hell as a single working Mom (with no family network) during peri-menopause and menopause.

(And I‘m very happy nowadays). And yes, I agree completely with all your statements.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 01.07.2022, 16:49
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,361
Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 689 Times in 451 Posts
minimimi has an excellent reputationminimimi has an excellent reputationminimimi has an excellent reputationminimimi has an excellent reputation
Re: Menopausal ladies in Switzerland, have you received good medical treatment?

Different people have different attitudes towards alternative/traditional medicine. I don't know what is used in case of early menopause but for hypothyroidism I know multiple people who got good results with young walnuts (young walnuts - around may when their shells are still soft are put into honey and kept for a while in dark and a spoon per day taken later).

I myself have found traditional preparations useful for a variety of medical issues.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank minimimi for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 01.07.2022, 17:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich City
Posts: 7,835
Groaned at 609 Times in 359 Posts
Thanked 9,750 Times in 4,529 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Menopausal ladies in Switzerland, have you received good medical treatment?

Quote:
View Post
Please note I am not worried or scared - I am trying to seek medical care for something I am already living in. I also know you are trying to help (and thanks), but you are not. There are women out there who don't just need to run their wrists under cold water and eat walnuts to feel normal. The women's stories on Reddit are real. I've seen women go through the same in my life and now I am feeling it too, it really sucks.

And discounting it as just a "natural" part of life is the kind of gaslighting women have received for decades in medical care. If a man for even a second went through the fraction of what a woman went through, there were be loads of research & medical treatments on the market.
My mother was diagnosed a couple of decades ago as schizophrenic. I grew up with that, and it was not easy. At the time, they all called it „the Change“ aka Menopause. But my mother actually suffered from schizophrenia. It would have been good for all if this had been recognised sooner.

Hey, I really respect what you are doing!
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 01.07.2022, 18:05
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Zug
Posts: 22
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 25 Times in 9 Posts
DutchandLost has no particular reputation at present
Re: Menopausal ladies in Switzerland, have you received good medical treatment?

So happy to read a thread on the Menopause - thank you!

I've spent the last few years educating myself on what it is and how I can turn it into a less-debilitating experience. I found myself at work not being able to understand the most basic things, struggling to sleep and being so down. After many visits to the doctor (usually leaving with a prescription for anti-depressants which I never took), my friend took me on a weekend retreat all about the Menopause. It was life-changing. I learnt so much and so I embarked on a journey to find out more - after all it's my body!

I also created a Menopause help group at work where we had a 50/50 Men/Women attendance* and we worked with our organisation to ensure our health provider covered Menopause, our facilities team provided access to fans, showers and a rest rooms for when people were struggling at work and also to encourage the Management Team to be aware of what to offer those struggling. Certainly in the UK there is a real push to support Women more in the work place and also from Government protection as most feel they cannot cope at work or at home. Positive steps but a long way to go!

My journey continues; I'm on HRT which certainly works for me. We've just moved here so I'm trying to find a specialist so I'll keep an eye on any recommendations!

My advice would be to read, read and read some more - there's great content out there from experts and those going through it - all available on the 'Meno-web' as I call it! No experience is the same; your Mothers experience won't be the same as yours; didn't have children - makes no difference; can't take HRT - you are not alone, don't loose hope. Diet can help and there's new evidence that when you are post-Menopause you should change your diet as the lack of Hormones can affect the gut. Oh I could go on and on! If I can help anyone or pass on some links, please do PM me; we are in this together!

*Men joined our meetings as they were so concerned about their wives/gfriends/mothers/daughters etc and felt that they couldn't help them without understanding it - they were a real asset to our group (perspectives etc) and the information we shared really helped them.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank DutchandLost for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 01.07.2022, 18:16
Susie-Q's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 2,830
Groaned at 504 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 6,294 Times in 2,255 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Menopausal ladies in Switzerland, have you received good medical treatment?

Quote:
View Post
Apologies if I’ve offended you. I went through absolute hell as a single working Mom (with no family network) during peri-menopause and menopause.

(And I‘m very happy nowadays). And yes, I agree completely with all your statements.
Not offended at all …

Happy you made it through! Strong lady xx
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01.07.2022, 18:18
Susie-Q's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 2,830
Groaned at 504 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 6,294 Times in 2,255 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Menopausal ladies in Switzerland, have you received good medical treatment?

Quote:
View Post
So happy to read a thread on the Menopause - thank you!

I've spent the last few years educating myself on what it is and how I can turn it into a less-debilitating experience. I found myself at work not being able to understand the most basic things, struggling to sleep and being so down. After many visits to the doctor (usually leaving with a prescription for anti-depressants which I never took), my friend took me on a weekend retreat all about the Menopause. It was life-changing. I learnt so much and so I embarked on a journey to find out more - after all it's my body!

I also created a Menopause help group at work where we had a 50/50 Men/Women attendance* and we worked with our organisation to ensure our health provider covered Menopause, our facilities team provided access to fans, showers and a rest rooms for when people were struggling at work and also to encourage the Management Team to be aware of what to offer those struggling. Certainly in the UK there is a real push to support Women more in the work place and also from Government protection as most feel they cannot cope at work or at home. Positive steps but a long way to go!

My journey continues; I'm on HRT which certainly works for me. We've just moved here so I'm trying to find a specialist so I'll keep an eye on any recommendations!

My advice would be to read, read and read some more - there's great content out there from experts and those going through it - all available on the 'Meno-web' as I call it! No experience is the same; your Mothers experience won't be the same as yours; didn't have children - makes no difference; can't take HRT - you are not alone, don't loose hope. Diet can help and there's new evidence that when you are post-Menopause you should change your diet as the lack of Hormones can affect the gut. Oh I could go on and on! If I can help anyone or pass on some links, please do PM me; we are in this together!

*Men joined our meetings as they were so concerned about their wives/gfriends/mothers/daughters etc and felt that they couldn't help them without understanding it - they were a real asset to our group (perspectives etc) and the information we shared really helped them.
Wow this is awesome! I wish I worked with you.

And so wonderful that men are taking part too … I told my father last night I’m going through the change, and he made sure that I gave the phone to my husband so he could give him advice. Hehe My husband has luckily been very supportive and in a way relieved to know the problem is fixable.

So great that the UK is making a push to inform people too.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01.07.2022, 18:29
ennui's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Kt Zurich
Posts: 1,302
Groaned at 36 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,882 Times in 1,375 Posts
ennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Menopausal ladies in Switzerland, have you received good medical treatment?

I don’t think it’s gaslighting to say that menopause is a normal part of life. It is a normal part of life, it’s just that like menstruation, pregnancy and other phases, we all experience our own normals individually. I guess what I mean to say is that the myriad of things women face should be part of “normal”

It’s really important to discuss it and not made to feel ashamed of it. And to seek information and help.

Having said that, I had an awful time with periods - terrible PMS, weight cycling, cramping and mittelschmerz (pain upon ovulation). I often had to take the first or second day of my period off from work because I felt like shit.

So for me, menopause was actually a good thing. All the shit stopped. In my 40’s, I was treated for anxiety and depression and started on Zoloft, about 5 or 6 years before menopause, so probably when I was perimenopausal. I’ve read that in some people antidepressants can mitigate the effects of menopause, and in my case I’ve had very few hot flashes.

I’m not a candidate for hrt (breast cancer), so maybe the Zoloft has helped. I’ve also been on a drug that shuts down estrogen production to prevent a breast cancer recurrence, so who knows how that impacts me.

When I first went into menopause, I had recurrent urinary tract infections, and this is common, as thinning vaginal walls predispose some women to this. Something that can help is a topical estrogen like substance - I think estradiol, but when I was diagnosed with breast cancer I stopped that. I felt more comfortable not using it, although I’ve heard that recent research suggests it is ok to use, even if you are at risk of cancer.

So important to discuss it though. Thanks for bringing it up!

Last edited by ennui; 01.07.2022 at 18:49.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank ennui for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 01.07.2022, 19:13
Susie-Q's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 2,830
Groaned at 504 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 6,294 Times in 2,255 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Menopausal ladies in Switzerland, have you received good medical treatment?

Quote:
View Post
I don’t think it’s gaslighting to say that menopause is a normal part of life. It is a normal part of life, it’s just that like menstruation, pregnancy and other phases, we all experience our own normals individually. I guess what I mean to say is that the myriad of things women face should be part of “normal”

It’s really important to discuss it and not made to feel ashamed of it. And to seek information and help.

Having said that, I had an awful time with periods - terrible PMS, weight cycling, cramping and mittelschmerz (pain upon ovulation). I often had to take the first or second day of my period off from work because I felt like shit.

So for me, menopause was actually a good thing. All the shit stopped. In my 40’s, I was treated for anxiety and depression and started on Zoloft, about 5 or 6 years before menopause, so probably when I was perimenopausal. I’ve read that in some people antidepressants can mitigate the effects of menopause, and in my case I’ve had very few hot flashes.

I’m not a candidate for hrt (breast cancer), so maybe the Zoloft has helped. I’ve also been on a drug that shuts down estrogen production to prevent a breast cancer recurrence, so who knows how that impacts me.

When I first went into menopause, I had recurrent urinary tract infections, and this is common, as thinning vaginal walls predispose some women to this. Something that can help is a topical estrogen like substance - I think estradiol, but when I was diagnosed with breast cancer I stopped that. I felt more comfortable not using it, although I’ve heard that recent research suggests it is ok to use, even if you are at risk of cancer.

So important to discuss it though. Thanks for bringing it up!
Thanks … what I meant is that many brush it off as “normal” and it doesn’t get the medical attention and recognition from others it needs/deserves. I also think that about the cycle too … I have endometriosis, and this is vastly under researched and treated, while 1 in 10 women have the condition.

I was prescribed Zoloft too 1.5 years ago - it helped a bit, but it made me gain so much weight - & menopause has made it impossible to lose. As someone who has spent all of her life quite fit, healthy and attractive - it hasn’t been easy to accept. I have a prescription for Wellbutrin in my medicine cabinet, and I am hesitating to take it - although it is supposed to not make you gain weight like SSRI’s can.

Thanks for writing and hoping you are well & came out from the breast cancer ok!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Susie-Q for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 01.07.2022, 19:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich City
Posts: 7,835
Groaned at 609 Times in 359 Posts
Thanked 9,750 Times in 4,529 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Menopausal ladies in Switzerland, have you received good medical treatment?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks … what I meant is that many brush it off as “normal” and it doesn’t get the medical attention and recognition from others it needs/deserves. I also think that about the cycle too … I have endometriosis, and this is vastly under researched and treated, while 1 in 10 women have the condition.

I was prescribed Zoloft too 1.5 years ago - it helped a bit, but it made me gain so much weight - & menopause has made it impossible to lose. As someone who has spent all of her life quite fit, healthy and attractive - it hasn’t been easy to accept. I have a prescription for Wellbutrin in my medicine cabinet, and I am hesitating to take it - although it is supposed to not make you gain weight like SSRI’s can.

Thanks for writing and hoping you are well & came out from the breast cancer ok!
Well, am still „quite fit, healthy and attractive“ with my 59 years, despite a couple of years interlude with SSRis decades ago 😉. Happy as well 😉
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01.07.2022, 20:10
ennui's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Kt Zurich
Posts: 1,302
Groaned at 36 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,882 Times in 1,375 Posts
ennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Menopausal ladies in Switzerland, have you received good medical treatment?

Quote:
View Post
Well, am still „quite fit, healthy and attractive“ with my 59 years, despite a couple of years interlude with SSRis decades ago ��. Happy as well ��
Everyone is different. I’ve been on SSRI for 20 years and they’ve saved my life.

But we really need to take women’s health issues seriously. Heart disease in women is poorly understood- most of the research is done on men and they are different. Menstruation and menopause need to be better understood.

Endometriosis is a huge health issue, for example. And while we invest a lot of money on boob reconstruction, we are far behind with solutions for metastatic disease, which is the real killer.

And if you‘re non white, women‘s health issues are even more poorly understood. I think that holds for non white men too.

Last edited by ennui; 01.07.2022 at 23:00.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank ennui for this useful post:
  #39  
Old 02.07.2022, 10:09
itsjess's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Bellinzona, Ticino
Posts: 621
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,276 Times in 419 Posts
itsjess has a reputation beyond reputeitsjess has a reputation beyond reputeitsjess has a reputation beyond reputeitsjess has a reputation beyond reputeitsjess has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Menopausal ladies in Switzerland, have you received good medical treatment?

Quote:
View Post

And if you‘re non white, women‘s health issues are even more poorly understood. I think that holds for non white men too.
This is absolutely true. There is an incredible book called Invisible Women which talks about the many industries where the assumption of the default human is white and male, and the devastating impacts this has, from PPE that doesn't fit properly (remember when NASA couldn't do their first all-female space walk because of insufficient women-sized space suits?), to how heart attacks present differently in the emergency room (medical textbooks taught students to focus on male-specific symptoms), through to safety belts in cars actually causing greater damage to women passengers because again they are designed for men.

Sorry, not intending to derail, just wanted to support this comment and mention the book in case anyone else is interested in the topic.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank itsjess for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 02.07.2022, 11:12
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Zug
Posts: 22
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 25 Times in 9 Posts
DutchandLost has no particular reputation at present
Re: Menopausal ladies in Switzerland, have you received good medical treatment?

Quote:
View Post
Wow this is awesome! I wish I worked with you.

And so wonderful that men are taking part too … I told my father last night I’m going through the change, and he made sure that I gave the phone to my husband so he could give him advice. Hehe My husband has luckily been very supportive and in a way relieved to know the problem is fixable.

So great that the UK is making a push to inform people too.

I just love your Fathers reaction and it proves that it affects everyone. My ambition is to take away the fear of discussing it - to remove the barriers; there's a long way to go for people to feel comfortable about it but I think we are paving the way for the next generation.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank DutchandLost for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I get tax deduction private medical treatment? highsky Daily life 4 24.11.2021 19:12
Leaving Switzerland in the middle of medical treatment molisoft Leaving Switzerland 6 08.10.2019 19:36
Medical treatment at school Abbie Family matters/health 9 14.08.2011 17:27
Need medical treatment advice pertin Family matters/health 18 16.11.2010 17:39
Cost of medical treatment in Switzerland readingsteve Insurance 1 11.09.2007 11:40


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0