Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 25.08.2008, 11:00
gregv's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: -
Posts: 1,317
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 626 Times in 303 Posts
gregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lausanne - One doctor NOT to go to

Quote:
View Post
What about doing it the other way... Have you ever considered that the forum may be used for marketing, pushing good comments out about people and services in an attempt to cap in on the expat market in Switzerland?....
However, these actions do not put EF at legal risk.

Just to make things perfectly clear, users that do choose to put EF at legal risk will be banned.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank gregv for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 25.08.2008, 11:01
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,564
Groaned at 31 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 1,134 Times in 585 Posts
peachy has a reputation beyond reputepeachy has a reputation beyond reputepeachy has a reputation beyond reputepeachy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lausanne - One doctor NOT to go to

Quote:
View Post
What about doing it the other way... Have you ever considered that the forum may be used for marketing, pushing good comments out about people and services in an attempt to cap in on the expat market in Switzerland?....
This forum has maximum integrity and offers a neutral, impartial, marketing free place to discuss expat issues.


----------------
Peachy Enterprises
One stop shop for all expat needs, 9/10 expats prefer us.

Call 078 646 823882 NOW for accommodation, cheap telephones calls, satellite installation and British food.

www.peachyenterprises.ch - Go with the best
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank peachy for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 25.08.2008, 11:02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 290
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 106 Times in 67 Posts
PeterDB is considered knowledgeablePeterDB is considered knowledgeablePeterDB is considered knowledgeable
Re: Lausanne - One doctor NOT to go to

Quote:
View Post
Maybe he doesn't want to or doesn't feel comfortable speaking English. It's his preference. He's not obliged to speak English with you even if he is fluent or near fluent.

Clearly he didn't realize he spoke English with your fiancee otherwise he wouldn't have pretended not to speak English with you. This is not a crime though. Also, you don't know that he is "lying" about having an emergency.

You don't like him, go to someone else. I understand it's frustrating, but doctors are people too. They are not obliged to speak any language they don't want to even if they do speak the language well. It's not a crime nor unethical, nor immoral.

but why then agree to take the appointment for me in the first place, when I asked when he spoke English...

And him pretending not to English, but my knowing that he does, just puts him in more bad light.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 25.08.2008, 11:04
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,993
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lausanne - One doctor NOT to go to

Maybe he doesn't want to or doesn't feel comfortable speaking English. It's his preference. He's not obliged to speak English with you even if he is fluent or near fluent.

Clearly he didn't realize he spoke English with your fiancee otherwise he wouldn't have pretended not to speak English with you. This is not a crime though. Also, you don't know that he is "lying" about having an emergency.

You don't like him, go to someone else. I understand it's frustrating, but doctors are people too. They are not obliged to speak any language they don't want to even if they do speak the language well. It's not a crime nor unethical, nor immoral.


(opps, i went to edit & deleted by accident, that is why this is now below the reply).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 25.08.2008, 11:04
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 290
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 106 Times in 67 Posts
PeterDB is considered knowledgeablePeterDB is considered knowledgeablePeterDB is considered knowledgeable
Re: Lausanne - One doctor NOT to go to

Quote:
View Post
However, these actions do not put EF at legal risk.

Just to make things perfectly clear, users that do choose to put EF at legal risk will be banned.
so now, we are only allowed to post good experiences, since anyone that posts a bad experience and quotes the name of the persons/company/service, could be considered an act of defamation....
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 25.08.2008, 11:06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 290
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 106 Times in 67 Posts
PeterDB is considered knowledgeablePeterDB is considered knowledgeablePeterDB is considered knowledgeable
Re: Lausanne - One doctor NOT to go to

Quote:
View Post
This forum has maximum integrity and offers a neutral, impartial, marketing free place to discuss expat issues.


----------------
Peachy Enterprises
One stop shop for all expat needs, 9/10 expats prefer us.

Call 078 646 823882 NOW for accommodation, cheap telephones calls, satellite installation and British food.

www.peachyenterprises.ch - Go with the best

hmmm... marketing free... maybe you should check what you just posted...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank PeterDB for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 25.08.2008, 11:07
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,993
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lausanne - One doctor NOT to go to

Quote:
View Post
but why then agree to take the appointment for me in the first place, when I asked when he spoke English...

And him pretending not to English, but my knowing that he does, just puts him in more bad light.
Does he take his own appointments?

Look, maybe he was tired, stressed & overworked. When I get like that my language skills plummet.

I do understand your frustration, but really I don't think it's a reason to slam the man & his professionalism. As was said above, you didn't show he was incompetent. Maybe someone else would be happy with him just speaking French. It's difficult to find a good doctor & even more difficult to find a good doctor that you like. I have a good doctor, but I can tell you I don't _like_ him!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 25.08.2008, 11:07
gregv's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: -
Posts: 1,317
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 626 Times in 303 Posts
gregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lausanne - One doctor NOT to go to

Quote:
View Post
so now, we are only allowed to post good experiences, since anyone that posts a bad experience and quotes the name of the persons/company/service, could be considered an act of defamation....
Unfortunately, that's correct. You'll notice even the swiss publications, such as Beobachter are very careful about naming names.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 25.08.2008, 11:11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Lausanne - One doctor NOT to go to

Wrong, you can write you experiences in such a way as to stay the right side of acceptable behaviour. Ensure what you write is reasonable, and it is clear that you are expressing and opinion or comment.

It is the difference between saying:

"I bought a Big Kahuna burger the other day and felt ill after eating it.."
vs
"Big Kahuna Burgers make you ill..."

In your case, if I was Dr Whoever from your example, my lawyer's pen would be poised for response at what you had written. Exercise caution.

I have found that disgruntled posters usually have an agenda that is not often clear from their initial vitriol-filled post. But the truth will out.

dave



Quote:
View Post
so now, we are only allowed to post good experiences, since anyone that posts a bad experience and quotes the name of the persons/company/service, could be considered an act of defamation....
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 25.08.2008, 11:11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 290
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 106 Times in 67 Posts
PeterDB is considered knowledgeablePeterDB is considered knowledgeablePeterDB is considered knowledgeable
Re: Lausanne - One doctor NOT to go to

Quote:
View Post
Does he take his own appointments?

Look, maybe he was tired, stressed & overworked. When I get like that my language skills plummet.

I do understand your frustration, but really I don't think it's a reason to slam the man & his professionalism. As was said above, you didn't show he was incompetent. Maybe someone else would be happy with him just speaking French. It's difficult to find a good doctor & even more difficult to find a good doctor that you like. I have a good doctor, but I can tell you I don't _like_ him!

yes... he takes the appointments himself.... being stressed, tired or overworked (not possible on the last one, since I had to wait for his two week vacation to be done, before I could get an appointment on his first day back, which was today) is not an excuse for pretending to not speak English. He could have just as well explained that he was not taking new patients and I would have gone away happy..
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 25.08.2008, 11:13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Lausanne - One doctor NOT to go to

Hook, line and sinker.

dave

Quote:
View Post
hmmm... marketing free... maybe you should check what you just posted...
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 25.08.2008, 11:18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 290
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 106 Times in 67 Posts
PeterDB is considered knowledgeablePeterDB is considered knowledgeablePeterDB is considered knowledgeable
Re: Lausanne - One doctor NOT to go to

Quote:
View Post
Wrong, you can write you experiences in such a way as to stay the right side of acceptable behaviour. Ensure what you write is reasonable, and it is clear that you are expressing and opinion or comment.

It is the difference between saying:

"I bought a Big Kahuna burger the other day and felt ill after eating it.."
vs
"Big Kahuna Burgers make you ill..."

In your case, if I was Dr Whoever from your example, my lawyer's pen would be poised for response at what you had written. Exercise caution.

I have found that disgruntled posters usually have an agenda that is not often clear from their initial vitriol-filled post. But the truth will out.

dave
so, if I had written:

Thread Subject: Lausanne Doctor X
Thread: Visited doctor X after having made an appointment personally with him and asked if he spoke English. Only to arrive an find out, that he pretended not to speak English anymore. Even though, my fiance goes to this doctor and only speaks English with him.

If so, then please change my original post and subject to reflect this and reinstate his name.

and my ONLY goal is to share a very bad experience.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank PeterDB for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 25.08.2008, 11:21
BHBT's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: was Züri
Posts: 957
Groaned at 19 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 901 Times in 415 Posts
BHBT has a reputation beyond reputeBHBT has a reputation beyond reputeBHBT has a reputation beyond reputeBHBT has a reputation beyond reputeBHBT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lausanne - One doctor NOT to go to

Is this going anywhere? We now have over 30 postings about an unnamed doctor in Lausanne, who may or may not speak English (depending on the time of day and direction of the wind, it seems) and may or may not be trustworthy or reliable.
Either way, none of this helps any of us in avoiding him (and no please don't mention his name as that would be libel) and therefore this thread is of little use other than to discuss if the EF should be used for steering expats away from people or companies whose names should not be mentioned here anyway....

I say we get back to talking about speedos, curries, 5 year plans and other important things...

Barbra.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank BHBT for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 25.08.2008, 11:22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Lausanne - One doctor NOT to go to

"Mr DB, I am not in the habit of pretending in order to deceive when treating my patients, and find your assertion that I pretended highly offensive as it casts doubts on my honesty in a profession where trust is paramount. The fact that you have chosen to publish this libellous statement on an internet forum may where it may be read by prospective clients, leaves me with no alternative but to instigate legal actions for reparation."


Your move.

dave


Quote:
View Post
so, if I had written:

Thread Subject: Lausanne Doctor X
Thread: Visited doctor X after having made an appointment personally with him and asked if he spoke English. Only to arrive an find out, that he pretended not to speak English anymore. Even though, my fiance goes to this doctor and only speaks English with him.

If so, then please change my original post and subject to reflect this and reinstate his name.

and my ONLY goal is to share a very bad experience.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 25.08.2008, 11:23
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,564
Groaned at 31 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 1,134 Times in 585 Posts
peachy has a reputation beyond reputepeachy has a reputation beyond reputepeachy has a reputation beyond reputepeachy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lausanne - One doctor NOT to go to

Quote:
View Post
so, if I had written:

Thread Subject: Lausanne Doctor X
Thread: Visited doctor X after having made an appointment personally with him and asked if he spoke English. Only to arrive an find out, that he pretended not to speak English anymore. Even though, my fiance goes to this doctor and only speaks English with him.

If so, then please change my original post and subject to reflect this and reinstate his name.

and my ONLY goal is to share a very bad experience.
Thread Subject: Lausanne - Bad experience with a Doctor
Thread: I visited doctor <Name only, no address> after having made an appointment personally with him and asked if he spoke English. When I arrived he pretended he did not speak English any more and could not continue the appointment. I found this particularly strange sine my fiancée has visited him several times, spoke English and to date has been happy with him.

I've lost trust in him as a result, as I feel he hasn't been straight with me about why he couldn't see me, I will be changing doctors.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank peachy for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 25.08.2008, 11:23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Lausanne - One doctor NOT to go to

It is very frustrating for you as a patient, and could be inappropriate behavior on the part of the physician. But he's just a person, like anyone else. Would you be as angry if this were a car mechanic?

Not knowing the physician's situation, it's also difficult to judge. For example, maybe his office staff was out - your description leads me to think that it was just this guy in the office, answering the phone and seeing patients - I honestly don't know many physicians who see patients that don't have some sort of office staff to help with appointments, schedules and some medical tasks. And when that office staff is away - it can be a mess. Maybe he needs to hire office staff.

At any rate you may want to channel your frustration into contacting the FMH which is the equivalent of the Swiss Medical Association. Here's the website:

http://www.fmh.ch/ww/fr/pub/fmh/le_s...at_general.htm

Not much info in English, I'm afraid, but this is the contact info of the secretary general, who might be able to take your complaint. Beyond that, there is a wealth of information on ethics and so forth - in French and German that might explain better how physicians are expected to practice medicine in Switzerland, and what recourse you have, if any.

Good luck.


Elaine
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 25.08.2008, 11:24
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,993
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lausanne - One doctor NOT to go to

Quote:
View Post
yes... he takes the appointments himself.... being stressed, tired or overworked (not possible on the last one, since I had to wait for his two week vacation to be done, before I could get an appointment on his first day back, which was today) is not an excuse for pretending to not speak English. He could have just as well explained that he was not taking new patients and I would have gone away happy..

Ok. That's fine. But your level of indignation in your first post does not meet the level of the "crime". The doctor is not very nice and totally weird. But completely untrustworthy and a liar? That hasn't been shown.

I'd give you the name of my good but not very nice (and with little patience!) doctor but he's not taking new patients either!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 25.08.2008, 11:29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 290
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 106 Times in 67 Posts
PeterDB is considered knowledgeablePeterDB is considered knowledgeablePeterDB is considered knowledgeable
Re: Lausanne - One doctor NOT to go to

Quote:
View Post
"Mr DB, I am not in the habit of pretending in order to deceive when treating my patients, and find your assertion that I pretended highly offensive as it casts doubts on my honesty in a profession where trust is paramount. The fact that you have chosen to publish this libellous statement on an internet forum may where it may be read by prospective clients, leaves me with no alternative but to instigate legal actions for reparation."


Your move.

dave
I would then just leave out the word "pretend"... from my changed text.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 25.08.2008, 11:34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 290
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 106 Times in 67 Posts
PeterDB is considered knowledgeablePeterDB is considered knowledgeablePeterDB is considered knowledgeable
Re: Lausanne - One doctor NOT to go to

Quote:
View Post
Ok. That's fine. But your level of indignation in your first post does not meet the level of the "crime". The doctor is not very nice and totally weird. But completely untrustworthy and a liar? That hasn't been shown.

I'd give you the name of my good but not very nice (and with little patience!) doctor but he's not taking new patients either!
What is not untrustworthy and liar, in the sense, that you tell one thing, when the times comes you do the opposite and pretend not to know the first.

If you were a parent and your kid did this, you would try to re-educate your kid about their wrong doings.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 25.08.2008, 11:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Lausanne - One doctor NOT to go to

I think our efforts are wasted here. Feel free to continue to exercise your lack of discretion and judgement. The forum mods may not permit it here, but I am sure you could find somewhere else to demonstrate it.

dave


Quote:
View Post
What is not untrustworthy and liar, in the sense, that you tell one thing, when the times comes you do the opposite and pretend not to know the first.

If you were a parent and your kid did this, you would try to re-educate your kid about their wrong doings.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Orthopedic Doctor? Ruben Other/general 4 07.03.2010 14:10
opportunity for a non EU doctor drkadambari Permits/visas/government 7 20.08.2008 15:13
Advice on good doctor/GP in Lausanne/Pully muffin Family matters/health 3 15.04.2008 17:40
looking for a doctor [lausanne] paulo Family matters/health 6 24.03.2008 13:03


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0