Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 24.09.2008, 12:06
Mélusine's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lutry
Posts: 3,805
Groaned at 31 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 5,236 Times in 2,146 Posts
Mélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

Hello!

I breastfed my baby for 21 months, and it was a wonderful experience that I would recommand to anybody. I was lucky enough to have flexible work schedule, so I managed 5 feedings a day for that long.

In Switzerland, when you're working, half the time it takes you to leave the office and breastfed your baby is not taken on your working hours, you only have to compensate the other half. It's worth knowing!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mélusine for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 24.09.2008, 12:12
vwild1
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
6 months, wow I thought a couple of weeks was the normal order of play.
A couple of weeks...?!?!

My daughter breast feed till 25 months before her mother finally repossessed her breasts. Today she's a healthy (and slender) young lady soon to turn 19. Don't know if the breast feeding takes credit for this but I do believe it didn't hurt..
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 24.09.2008, 12:42
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,466
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,992 Times in 1,185 Posts
CH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

I am pro-breastfeeding too. I didn't think I would be but getting downstairs to make up to make a bottle in the early hours (and hearing him screaming) was far more difficult than bringing him in bed with me. I continued until my son was around 2 years and stopped only to try to get pregnant again.

I took as long as I needed to express milk at work, but legally you can take twice your normal lunch break.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 24.09.2008, 13:01
Zug bound's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Meisenberg Zug
Posts: 863
Groaned at 19 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 284 Times in 182 Posts
Zug bound is considered knowledgeableZug bound is considered knowledgeableZug bound is considered knowledgeable
Re: Breast feeding

Breast is best, undoubtedly. It is the people who ram it down your throat that are the problem. I couldn't feed our girl and was stigmatised on the ward by the nurses. I was a double failure because I'd delivered by caesarian and then couldn't feed her. Mr Bound had to have a letter from the hospital to enable him to buy bottles as they were not culturally acceptable. This was in the middle east and women had no other option due to the lack of clean water etc. I think the road show may be in Zug today, there was something going on at Metalli this morning to do with health.
__________________
The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world
Educate a woman, educate a nation
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Zug bound for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 24.09.2008, 13:01
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
I am pro-breastfeeding too. I didn't think I would be but getting downstairs to make up to make a bottle in the early hours (and hearing him screaming) was far more difficult than bringing him in bed with me. I continued until my son was around 2 years and stopped only to try to get pregnant again..
This is so true! I was kicking myself when I stopped breastfeeding and entered the world of having to stand over a bottle of boiling water waiting for it to cool to sodding 40C before measuring out scoops of powder at 3.00 in the morning...

Quote:
View Post
I took as long as I needed to express milk at work, but legally you can take twice your normal lunch break.
I did this too - a round trip to the little fella's nursery to feed him would have taken more than two hours each time so I was the office dairy cow hiding in the ladies loos expressing milk three times a day.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 24.09.2008, 13:22
Nev
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
so I was the office dairy cow hiding in the ladies loos expressing milk three times a day.
Whoa ...too much information here!!!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 24.09.2008, 13:29
kodokan's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Phoenix AZ, USA
Posts: 1,299
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 930 Times in 460 Posts
kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
It can last up to 2 years !!!
And even longer... I was at an NCT baby and toddler coffee morning once, when (as usual) the subject of breastfeeding came up. We were talking about how food tastes are passed on in the milk, and one woman piped up with: "Oh yes, it's definitely true! There was one time when Jemima was feeding, and she stopped to say 'Mummy, you've eaten pineapple this morning, haven't you?' And she was round a friend's house so she hadn't seen me, it was just the taste."

The rest of us - all supposedly enlightened, educated pro-breastfeeding NCTers - all gaped at her, all thinking exactly the same thing: "You're breastfeeding a child old enough to produce a sentence like that?!!'

The roadshow sounds a good initiative. I was fortunate enough to have excellent family support and nothing but positive feedback for discreet public feeding when in the UK, and hopefully it's the same here, or heading that way.

kodokan
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank kodokan for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 24.09.2008, 13:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,466
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,992 Times in 1,185 Posts
CH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
Breast is best, undoubtedly. It is the people who ram it down your throat that are the problem. I couldn't feed our girl and was stigmatised on the ward by the nurses. I was a double failure because I'd delivered by caesarian and then couldn't feed her. Mr Bound had to have a letter from the hospital to enable him to buy bottles as they were not culturally acceptable. This was in the middle east and women had no other option due to the lack of clean water etc. I think the road show may be in Zug today, there was something going on at Metalli this morning to do with health.
After I found it so easy when others in the hospital either couldn't breastfeed or had difficulties I thought I should stick with it as long as I could.

I needed to buy bottles and formula too when my son was 10 days old after an operation. The people in the Pharmacy looked at me a little stange and asked if I was sure I wanted to buy the formula.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 24.09.2008, 13:49
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,735
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

not that i have any experience to add about breast feeding but did anyone watch the documentary on Channel 4 the other week called 'Other Peoples Breast Milk' it was certainly an eye opener - showed a mother feeding her 5 & 7 year old kids - showed women in a group breast feeding each others babies, interviewed a mother and her childs wet nurse in the states and also interview an old guy who drank breast milk every day (he ordered it off the internet) and he claimed it cured him of his prostate cancer.

I found the programme quite shocking in parts and I certainly found mothers feeding other peoples babies while the babies mother watched quite unusual - I think if I had a baby I wouldn't want another person to breast feed

did anyone else see it?

Nicky

Quote:
View Post
And even longer... I was at an NCT baby and toddler coffee morning once, when (as usual) the subject of breastfeeding came up. We were talking about how food tastes are passed on in the milk, and one woman piped up with: "Oh yes, it's definitely true! There was one time when Jemima was feeding, and she stopped to say 'Mummy, you've eaten pineapple this morning, haven't you?' And she was round a friend's house so she hadn't seen me, it was just the taste."

The rest of us - all supposedly enlightened, educated pro-breastfeeding NCTers - all gaped at her, all thinking exactly the same thing: "You're breastfeeding a child old enough to produce a sentence like that?!!'

The roadshow sounds a good initiative. I was fortunate enough to have excellent family support and nothing but positive feedback for discreet public feeding when in the UK, and hopefully it's the same here, or heading that way.

kodokan
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 24.09.2008, 14:06
Nathu's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,674
Groaned at 18 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,248 Posts
Nathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
not that i have any experience to add about breast feeding but did anyone watch the documentary on Channel 4 the other week called 'Other Peoples Breast Milk'
More illustrative material in this thread:

Breast feeding at 8 !!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 24.09.2008, 14:10
PatriciaNBern's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bern
Posts: 128
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 73 Times in 39 Posts
PatriciaNBern has earned some respectPatriciaNBern has earned some respect
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
http://www.swissinfo.org/eng/front/R...42521000&ty=st



6 months, wow I thought a couple of weeks was the normal order of play.
Anyway there is a roadshow touring round Switzerland telling and hopefully(?) showing people all about the pleasures and necessity of breast feeding.
On a purely blokey point, its weird how unsexual breast feeding is, I mean all the necessary parts are there, breasts, nudity, female, sucking..but stick em together with a baby and its pretty meh!!
I've been taught that your baby benifits from nursing for up to a year. After that, its no longer benifitting exept that it is cheaper then buying formula, or milk.... I dont know if thats true, but thats what ive been taugh.

Quote:
View Post
Interesting then that we had the news and discussion some time ago about [Acceptable?] Breastfeeding in public
I think there is one question missing on that poll. Sure, we should be allowed to breastfead in public, its needed, but i think the option missing is -breastfeeding in public is natural, but stripping isnt... cover the darned tit up.

Quote:
View Post
Should you really be putting a 12 week old baby in to a creche/krippe?
Some people dont have much choice. Its difficult to live on one income. If you saw our flat, everything in it is old, or a hand me down. We have a cheep rent but thats due to it being in my mom-in-laws name for 25 yrs, so they havent raised the rent. We have to be choosy on what we spend real money on. Otherwise, i dont know if i would be able to be a stay at home wife/mom.

Quote:
View Post
Breast is best, undoubtedly. It is the people who ram it down your throat that are the problem. I couldn't feed our girl and was stigmatised on the ward by the nurses. I was a double failure because I'd delivered by caesarian and then couldn't feed her. Mr Bound had to have a letter from the hospital to enable him to buy bottles as they were not culturally acceptable. This was in the middle east and women had no other option due to the lack of clean water etc. I think the road show may be in Zug today, there was something going on at Metalli this morning to do with health.
That would be sooooo hard. I know a lot of women get depressed when they cant nurse right away, but to not be able to do it at all... Im sorry. It must have been hard too to live in a culture of women who just didnt bottle feed. i cant imagine what you must have gone through.

I couldnt breast feed past 6-7 months with my girls. When they kept waking up in the night getting hungry again (and that was after they were sleeping through the night, close to, i think it was 4-5 months), we started giving them a bottle before bed so that they could sleep well. I hadnt realised i was drying up, so i just stopped nursing when they started needing it every 3 hours instead of 4-6 hours.

When will people stop trying to force their views on others. I can understand people wanting to help, and share their views, but to condemn you for yours...
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 24.09.2008, 16:46
swisskat's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: back in the UK
Posts: 170
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 32 Times in 23 Posts
swisskat has made some interesting contributions
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
Breast is best, undoubtedly. It is the people who ram it down your throat that are the problem. I couldn't feed our girl and was stigmatised on the ward by the nurses. I was a double failure because I'd delivered by caesarian and then couldn't feed her. Mr Bound had to have a letter from the hospital to enable him to buy bottles as they were not culturally acceptable. This was in the middle east and women had no other option due to the lack of clean water etc. I think the road show may be in Zug today, there was something going on at Metalli this morning to do with health.
Thanks for this post, Zug bound! I was a double failure, too. The outside pressure to breastfeed was so high that my litte one nearly starved first before I realised that the milk will not "just come, you have to relax (and try harder)" and started bottle feeding. Within one day my non-stop crying baby turned into a happy little fella.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 24.09.2008, 21:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Breast feeding

After nearly 7 months breast feeding is currently a habit I'm trying to give up, or at least cut back on... but with little success!! As already mentioned, once you've got going, it's just so much easier than the whole bottle malarky, but as I'm still feeling very new here, and therefore often meeting new people, I find it faintly embarrassing to be constantly introducing myself: 'hi, I'm Carter, and these are my boobs!' Obviously I'm very discreet, but still, I'm sure that nearly everyone in Zurich has met 'my girls' at this point, and they very probably have not yet met me!!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 24.09.2008, 22:01
Texaner's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zentralschweiz
Posts: 2,048
Groaned at 99 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 2,984 Times in 1,429 Posts
Texaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
...As already mentioned...it's just so much easier than the whole bottle malarky...
Yep, all three of our children went from breastfeeding (ranging from one to two plus years) straight to solid foods — with breast milk-filled bottles occasionally as needed. We thus avoided much of both the formula and 'baby food' stages. No regrets.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 26.09.2008, 16:09
dino's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,663
Groaned at 31 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 1,279 Times in 628 Posts
dino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
After nearly 7 months breast feeding is currently a habit I'm trying to give up, or at least cut back on... but with little success!! As already mentioned, once you've got going, it's just so much easier than the whole bottle malarky
ask mum to introduce you to one of those baby formulas ...

by the way... you're doing rather well to be using an online forum at your age
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 22.10.2008, 17:04
ljm ljm is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Geneva
Posts: 754
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 375 Times in 220 Posts
ljm has an excellent reputationljm has an excellent reputationljm has an excellent reputationljm has an excellent reputation
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
...I believe it is undisputed that the infants subsitutes to milk in Europe is a 100% equal alternative to breast milk.

To be pro-breastfeeding is fine with me. It is the contra-bottlefeeding I am against.
The first statement -- absolutely not true. Formula is only an attempt to emulate breastmilk but breastmilk is a moving target, so formula can and will never be its 100% equivalent. The only fact here is that most formula-fed children in the West are well-nourished and develop normally.

I will not go into any discussion on the potential adverse long-term effects of its use. Let us just say that formula-fed children are 'doing fine' -- but this presumes that an accident such as recent formula contamination in China can not happen. Actually, formula is quite often recalled from shops even in the West, for various reasons and this is also a risk one needs to take into account.

In my view, you can not be pro-breastfeeding without being contra-bottlefeeding at the same time. I think that most women breastfeed because they believe that formula is not good for their children. Otherwise, why would they bother? But if 'contra-bottlefeeding' means 'forcing others to breastfeed', then I agree, no one should be made to feel guilty for not breastfeeding as long as they made an informed choice. Which, I may add, is sadly often not the case.

Quote:
View Post
...I've been taught that your baby benifits from nursing for up to a year. After that, its no longer benifitting exept that it is cheaper then buying formula, or milk.... I dont know if thats true, but thats what ive been taugh...
Sorry to butt in again, but just to dispel this breastfeeding myth: breastmilk always has benefits. It is often assumed that after 12 months the baby does not need breastmilk because its digestive system is mature enough to be able to process cow's milk. While it is certainly true that a toddler does not need breastmilk to survive and indeed would become malnourished if sustained on breastmilk alone, this does not mean that breastmilk is useless.

Cow's milk is originally meant for calves and human milk is made for humans. This is why, as long as it is produced, it has enzymes and anti-bodies that benefit the child. Also, breastfeeding can provide comfort to sick or distressed toddlers so it has a psychological benefit as well.

Last edited by vwild1; 28.03.2010 at 11:08. Reason: Merged 2 successive posts into 1
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 23.10.2008, 12:56
PatriciaNBern's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bern
Posts: 128
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 73 Times in 39 Posts
PatriciaNBern has earned some respectPatriciaNBern has earned some respect
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
In my view, you can not be pro-breastfeeding without being contra-bottlefeeding at the same time. I think that most women breastfeed because they believe that formula is not good for their children. Otherwise, why would they bother? But if 'contra-bottlefeeding' means 'forcing others to breastfeed', then I agree, no one should be made to feel guilty for not breastfeeding as long as they made an informed choice. Which, I may add, is sadly often not the case.
I have to disagree with you personally. I'm sorry. I do both. I breastfed both of my girls, and am breastfeeding my third girl right now. After a few months i started using formula as well to be sure they had enough to eat before bed. Also, the breast pumps hurt me too much to use, so we used formulas every time my husband and i went on a date. We found it practical and they got the best of both worlds.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 23.10.2008, 13:22
swisspea's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: From one side of lake Zurich to the other...
Posts: 6,007
Groaned at 35 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 5,778 Times in 2,726 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

I just read the article - breastfeeding rates in switzerland are about as low here as in Australia...80-90% leave hospital breastfeeding, drops rapidly from then and by 4 months it's definitely less than half, and by 6 months only 20% are being breastfed...that would make the breastfeeding mums the 'minority group' - wouldn't it...

I definitely feel like a 'minority group' when I am out and about with my bubs...that and the 'dummies' 'pacifiers' (we call them 'dummies' in Australia) - I think it's about 80% of kids who seem to have them...and they seem to have them all the time...much more than Australia...definitely a cultural thing...
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 23.10.2008, 13:39
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
I just read the article - breastfeeding rates in switzerland are about as low here as in Australia...80-90% leave hospital breastfeeding, drops rapidly from then and by 4 months it's definitely less than half, and by 6 months only 20% are being breastfed...that would make the breastfeeding mums the 'minority group' - wouldn't it...

I definitely feel like a 'minority group' when I am out and about with my bubs...that and the 'dummies' 'pacifiers' (we call them 'dummies' in Australia) - I think it's about 80% of kids who seem to have them...and they seem to have them all the time...much more than Australia...definitely a cultural thing...
I was one of those people who said "No child of mine will have one of those things permanently sticking out of his mouth"...

...until I had a child. Suddenly they became the best invention since sliced bread. I have to say that we quickly established a rule that he was allowed to have it at bedtime and if he is sick (and on occasion if he is in danger of kicking off with a Level 10 tantrum in the middle of Migros) but in those early days it was brilliant. It even became known in our house as "the plug".
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 23.10.2008, 13:49
majoe42's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lachen SZ
Posts: 35
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
majoe42 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Breast feeding

That's the other option that some of us forget about. That you can express your milk, keep it for about 12hrs in the proper temperature. I know of a few mothers who did that and it worked pretty well until their babies were weaned properly.

I did this too - a round trip to the little fella's nursery to feed him would have taken more than two hours each time so I was the office dairy cow hiding in the ladies loos expressing milk three times a day.[/quote]

I'm sorry though to hear that you had to do it in the loo. This is still a reality all around the world. The pantry in any office is still out of our bounds. =(
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
breastfeeding




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Breast feeding at 8 !! Maple Leaf General off-topic 41 12.09.2010 19:48
Feeding the kids Swiss food Galatea Family matters/health 23 06.11.2009 13:25
Breast pump rental Zurich swiss_in_training Family matters/health 13 28.08.2008 21:32
Bird feeding Colonelboris Daily life 11 13.04.2007 13:22


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0