Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #161  
Old 03.08.2010, 08:01
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 12,404
Groaned at 191 Times in 168 Posts
Thanked 17,922 Times in 7,292 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
All this media now about breast is best etc... what about the poor mothers who for whatever reason can't breast feed? they read threads like this and must feel distraught that they are giving their babies nasty formula? I really wish all the do gooders would zip it sometimes and think about how people may feel if things haven't gone to plan for them

I plan to breast feed but I am certainly not going to take it for granted that I can, no end of problems may arise which means I can't. Am I then to be judged for not being able to? getting a bottle out in public and feeding the baby and receiving many disapproving looks and tuts?
So you think because of the potential upset of a few women, the promotion of the massive benefits should be stopped? That it's just about "do-gooders" getting on their high horses?

You have to weigh up the proven advantages for the many, by an increase of breast feeding, against the alledged disadvantage to the few who are unable to breast feed, or have to stop early.

As a result of "breast is best" being so prevelant, so well known, I certainly would assume that any woman who isn't breast feeding in the early days, is not doing so out of choice. From me, you'll get looks of sympathy, not derision.

My wife was able to breastfeed our children for only 3 months each. She was heartily disappointed, but certainly didn't feel that she was ever being disapproved off.
__________________
Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 03.08.2010, 08:21
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,735
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
So you think because of the potential upset of a few women, the promotion of the massive benefits should be stopped? That it's just about "do-gooders" getting on their high horses?

You have to weigh up the proven advantages for the many, by an increase of breast feeding, against the alledged disadvantage to the few who are unable to breast feed, or have to stop early.

As a result of "breast is best" being so prevelant, so well known, I certainly would assume that any woman who isn't breast feeding in the early days, is not doing so out of choice. From me, you'll get looks of sympathy, not derision.

My wife was able to breastfeed our children for only 3 months each. She was heartily disappointed, but certainly didn't feel that she was ever being disapproved off.
I feel that some comments made on here regarding breast feeding must make some women who can't feel very upset.

Incidentally my mother bottle fed me and my brother as did all her friends and relatives at the time in the 70's as breast feeding was just 'not fashionable' back then, we all turned out fine.

I completely agree however that breast feeding is a good thing and as i said before aim to do it myself BUT please spare a thought for the readers who can't before making highly judgemental posts in previous threads (not necessarily you just some posters in general)
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 03.08.2010, 08:58
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,400
Groaned at 434 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
I feel that some comments made on here regarding breast feeding must make some women who can't feel very upset.

Incidentally my mother bottle fed me and my brother as did all her friends and relatives at the time in the 70's as breast feeding was just 'not fashionable' back then, we all turned out fine.

I completely agree however that breast feeding is a good thing and as i said before aim to do it myself BUT please spare a thought for the readers who can't before making highly judgemental posts in previous threads (not necessarily you just some posters in general)
Yes and more then that! Formula is not the devil, it is a very good product even if it isn't natural. If a woman prefer to bottle feed, she should be able to do so without being judged for that.
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 03.08.2010, 09:44
ljm ljm is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Geneva
Posts: 754
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 375 Times in 220 Posts
ljm has an excellent reputationljm has an excellent reputationljm has an excellent reputationljm has an excellent reputation
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
So you think because of the potential upset of a few women, the promotion of the massive benefits should be stopped? That it's just about "do-gooders" getting on their high horses?

You have to weigh up the proven advantages for the many, by an increase of breast feeding, against the alledged disadvantage to the few who are unable to breast feed, or have to stop early.

As a result of "breast is best" being so prevelant, so well known, I certainly would assume that any woman who isn't breast feeding in the early days, is not doing so out of choice. From me, you'll get looks of sympathy, not derision.

My wife was able to breastfeed our children for only 3 months each. She was heartily disappointed, but certainly didn't feel that she was ever being disapproved off.
Thank you for this post. It is great to hear something so sensible and non-judgmental, especially when it comes from a man.
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 03.08.2010, 09:57
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,735
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
Thank you for this post. It is great to hear something so sensible and non-judgmental, especially when it comes from a man.
Who's being judgemental? I certainly wasn't. I was pointing out the judgemental sentiment towards women who don't breast feed for whatever reason
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nickers for this useful post:
  #166  
Old 09.09.2010, 18:14
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,400
Groaned at 434 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

If someone in here didn't breast feed, I would like you to PM me please. I have some questions...

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 09.09.2010, 19:19
NickH's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vaud
Posts: 185
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 94 Times in 55 Posts
NickH has earned some respectNickH has earned some respect
Re: Breast feeding

Think the point here is that you try to do the best for your kids. If you cant Breast feed then you cant. Same goes for most people want their kids to have the best education, the best opportunies, etc.

Its more of an issue where people do not realize the benefits of breast feeding for the mother and child.
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 09.09.2010, 20:54
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,400
Groaned at 434 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
Think the point here is that you try to do the best for your kids. If you cant Breast feed then you cant. Same goes for most people want their kids to have the best education, the best opportunies, etc.

Its more of an issue where people do not realize the benefits of breast feeding for the mother and child.
This is great in the perfect world, but in reality, you have people feeling the need to lecture those who don't breastfeed without knowing facts and personnal realities...
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 09.09.2010, 21:02
swisspea's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: From one side of lake Zurich to the other...
Posts: 6,020
Groaned at 35 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 5,825 Times in 2,736 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

There's no point in lecturing someone 'after the fact'...no point...

One piece of advice I got when pregnant with my first was to only take breastfeeding advice from women who had managed to have breastfeed successfully...goes for most parenting and birth 'issues'...

And I have the utmost respect for women who suffer through and don't end up breastfeeding for very long with their first child...and go back and try again with their second...I've talked online with women who only managed to breastfeed their third or fourth child...that takes guts, and a lot of determination, because lots of people will assume that if it doesn't work once, it won't work at all...but I reckon more like 80% of the time the problem is with the baby, not with the mother...
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 09.09.2010, 21:43
olympe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hong Kong now Bern before
Posts: 557
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 245 Times in 156 Posts
olympe is considered knowledgeableolympe is considered knowledgeableolympe is considered knowledgeable
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
This is great in the perfect world, but in reality, you have people feeling the need to lecture those who don't breastfeed without knowing facts and personnal realities...
Don't worry I got the other crap the other way round from my parents especially, criticising me for breasfeeding ! Thank god i was living very far the 2 times i breast fed. Whatever you do as a parent, whatever choices you make , there are always some smart arses to tell you you're doing it wrong.. and excuse my French!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank olympe for this useful post:
  #171  
Old 09.09.2010, 22:00
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Marek09 has earned some respectMarek09 has earned some respect
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
The immunilogical effects of breast feeding is in no way undisputed actually. Regarding the nutrial aspects, I believe it is undisputed that the infants subsitutes to milk in Europe is a 100% equal alternative to breast milk.

To be pro-breastfeeding is fine with me. It is the contra-bottlefeeding I am against.

Tilia - as a Doctor I can honestly say, that you are so very, very wrong. Immunologically and nutritionally the benefits of breastmilk are proven and completely undisputed. There are thousands of high quality scientific research articles to prove breastmilks superiority over artificial substitutes. The only claims to the contrary are the marketing claims of formula companies.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Marek09 for this useful post:
  #172  
Old 09.09.2010, 22:53
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,400
Groaned at 434 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
Tilia - as a Doctor I can honestly say, that you are so very, very wrong. Immunologically and nutritionally the benefits of breastmilk are proven and completely undisputed. There are thousands of high quality scientific research articles to prove breastmilks superiority over artificial substitutes. The only claims to the contrary are the marketing claims of formula companies.
I believe it. But as a subtitute, Formula is a top quality. When a woman doesn't have the nutriments to feed her child, when she can't do it because of medications, Formula should be seen as a great product.

A child can perfectly grow and developed on Formula and have the same potential that an other child.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #173  
Old 09.09.2010, 23:13
Mud's Avatar
Mud Mud is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Romandie
Posts: 2,569
Groaned at 26 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 5,002 Times in 1,826 Posts
Mud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 09.09.2010, 23:26
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,735
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

Are mothers and babies doomed then if circumstances prevent the mother breast feeding? If formula is so bad are you saying these babies having to be fed on it are suffering? And reducing the mother to feel guilty she can't provide 100% care for her baby

I was fed formula. I seem ok ish on good days
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nickers for this useful post:
  #175  
Old 09.09.2010, 23:30
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,237
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,933 Times in 4,177 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
Quote:
View Post
Quote:
View Post
All this media now about breast is best etc... what about the poor mothers who for whatever reason can't breast feed? they read threads like this and must feel distraught that they are giving their babies nasty formula? I really wish all the do gooders would zip it sometimes and think about how people may feel if things haven't gone to plan for them

I plan to breast feed but I am certainly not going to take it for granted that I can, no end of problems may arise which means I can't. Am I then to be judged for not being able to? getting a bottle out in public and feeding the baby and receiving many disapproving looks and tuts?
It's easy to judged when you are not in the situation...
....especially easier if you are not the same gender.

Sorry, but I had to play that card this time.
Are you suggesting Nicky is a man

Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 09.09.2010, 23:32
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,237
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,933 Times in 4,177 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
Are mothers and babies doomed then if circumstances prevent the mother breast feeding? If formula is so bad are you saying these babies having to be fed on it are suffering? And reducing the mother to feel guilty she can't provide 100% care for her baby.
No, no, you've got it all wrong. Women who bottle feed their children aren't doomed. They just aren't trying hard enough...
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #177  
Old 10.09.2010, 07:40
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,400
Groaned at 434 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

I didn't want to start the whole pro-breastfeeders lecture again. I got someone who answered my questions on PM.

Questions I would never dare to post in here.

Why? Because Breastmilk is so awesome, those who can't breastfeed have no other option that to feel like a such of defect, neglect, bad mother.

Instead to help those women to feel better with their situation, they prefer to come back with facts, stats and medical researchs.

Just to turn the knife in the wound.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #178  
Old 10.09.2010, 09:03
Tilia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,765
Groaned at 81 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 2,649 Times in 1,194 Posts
Tilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

You are wrong.


Quote:
View Post
Immunologically [ ]the benefits of breastmilk are proven and completely undisputed
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 10.09.2010, 09:09
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,400
Groaned at 434 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

Quote:
View Post
You are wrong.
How? (I know too short...)
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 10.09.2010, 09:35
Tilia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,765
Groaned at 81 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 2,649 Times in 1,194 Posts
Tilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breast feeding

The advantages of breast feeding over formula is not undisputed from an immunological perspective. The debate regarding this issue is still ongoing and controversial within the scientific bodies.

K M Järvinen and H. Suomalainen writes in their "Development of cow's milk allergy in breast-fed infants" in the introduction:

"In the light of epidemiological studies, the effect of breastfeeding on the development of allergic diseases and CMA in the breast-fed infant remains controversial."

And in their conclusion:

"Exclusive breastfeeding does not in general seem to protect against allergic sensitization. Leucocyte, cytokine, sIgA and fatty acid composition in human milk varies between atopic and non-atopic mothers, and between mothers of infants with CMA and those with a healthy infant, irrespective of maternal atopic or non-atopic predisposition. These findings support the concept that the effect of breastfeeding on the development of allergy may depend on the composition of mothers' milk, and that variations in the levels of immunologically active constituents of human milk may partly explain the contradictory results on the protective effect of breastfeeding regarding development of allergy. Among sensitized breast-fed infants that show severe sustained symptoms of food allergy and/or impaired growth, breastfeeding should be discontinued and feeding with hydrolysate or amino acid-based formula commenced to ease the immunoinflammatory process, to ensure adequate growth and to prevent more extensive sensitization."

(Jrvinen, K.-M. and Suomalainen, H. (2001), Development of cow's milk allergy in breast-fed infants. Clinical & Experimental Allergy, 31: 978–987. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2222.2001.01151.x)

This is just to show an example. Please note that I am only saying that the issue is not undisputed. I am not stating who is right and who is wrong. Since the issue is disputed, the jury is still out on that and each family has to do what they think is best for their child.


Quote:
View Post
How? (I know too short...)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
breastfeeding




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Breast feeding at 8 !! Maple Leaf General off-topic 41 12.09.2010 19:48
Feeding the kids Swiss food Galatea Family matters/health 23 06.11.2009 13:25
Breast pump rental Zurich swiss_in_training Family matters/health 13 28.08.2008 21:32
Bird feeding Colonelboris Daily life 11 13.04.2007 13:22


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0