Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 29.08.2009, 18:09
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich, Zumikon
Posts: 130
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 87 Times in 52 Posts
Canariesfan is considered knowledgeableCanariesfan is considered knowledgeableCanariesfan is considered knowledgeable
New English Family Doctor

Good news! There is an English Family Doctor starting up in practice in Zurich. She is an expat herself! She will be based in the middle of Zurich. The telephone number is 043 244 8161 or you can email her at dr.angela.caddick@gmail.com.

It will be great to have a doctor that understands!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dr Angela Caddick.pdf (130.2 KB, 1231 views)
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Canariesfan for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 29.08.2009, 18:29
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Yes, right there
Posts: 858
Groaned at 42 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 194 Times in 145 Posts
zürihegel has slipped a little
Re: New English Family Doctor

Probably nice for English speaking people. But not a good recommendation for Swiss - six out of ten medics at this practice are Germans. Medicine is a matter of confidence which grows via the language... I know from experience, I used to live together with a medic who's foreign accent always was a barrier when working with patients.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users groan at zürihegel for this post:
  #3  
Old 29.08.2009, 18:40
Laurence_PLover's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EU
Posts: 64
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 23 Posts
Laurence_PLover has made some interesting contributions
Re: New English Family Doctor

Quote:
View Post
Probably nice for English speaking people. But not a good recommendation for Swiss - six out of ten medics at this practice are Germans. Medicine is a matter of confidence which grows via the language... I know from experience, I used to live together with a medic who's foreign accent always was a barrier when working with patients.
Would not agree, would nor surprise me if it was a barrier here in switzerland.

In Germany, I have been to consultations with many non-German medical people, never a problem.

I have two doctor friends in Cologne, one Russian, one French/Belgian, they feel at home, never had a problem with prejudgement and / or negative attitudes.



L.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Laurence_PLover for this post:
  #4  
Old 29.08.2009, 18:45
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New English Family Doctor

Quote:
View Post
Probably nice for English speaking people. But not a good recommendation for Swiss - six out of ten medics at this practice are Germans. Medicine is a matter of confidence which grows via the language... I know from experience, I used to live together with a medic who's foreign accent always was a barrier when working with patients.
Yes. That's exactly what the English Forum is for funnily enough - English speaking people.

Do you know, I really don't know what on earth you're on about..
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 29.08.2009, 18:50
Oldhand's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,008
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 6,812 Times in 2,051 Posts
Oldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New English Family Doctor

Quote:
View Post
Probably nice for English speaking people. But not a good recommendation for Swiss - six out of ten medics at this practice are Germans. Medicine is a matter of confidence which grows via the language... I know from experience, I used to live together with a medic who's foreign accent always was a barrier when working with patients.
Tell that to us national health patients who had no choice. I found it difficult to understand my Pakistani doctor and the Jamaican nurse who saw me through major surgery. Luckily the language barrier didn't stop their excellent skills.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Oldhand for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 29.08.2009, 19:29
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,436
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New English Family Doctor

Quote:
View Post
Tell that to us national health patients who had no choice. I found it difficult to understand my Pakistani doctor and the Jamaican nurse who saw me through major surgery. Luckily the language barrier didn't stop their excellent skills.
I was thinking something along that line also as there are many Middle Eastern and Asian doctors (with varying degrees of accent) in the US.


Besides... I've long suspected and learned for a certainty in the past year or so here, it doesn't matter what accent the doctor has or where the doctor is from, their handwriting is equally illegible!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 29.08.2009, 19:38
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 15,031
Groaned at 283 Times in 205 Posts
Thanked 17,463 Times in 9,031 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New English Family Doctor

The foreign docs I have experienced were comforting, as they did some of the things quite similarly the way I am used to from home. I also loved the respect they had for me as a patient and the way they allowed me to have lot of questions and some, understandable anxiety. I think the fact that they had to go through the settling-in-the-new-country process themselves made them cut some slack to the worrywards like me . I think at the end of the day, it does not matter where one is from but how much that specific expert actually knows.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 29.08.2009, 19:45
Laurence_PLover's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EU
Posts: 64
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 23 Posts
Laurence_PLover has made some interesting contributions
Re: New English Family Doctor

Quote:
View Post
The foreign docs I have experienced were comforting, as they did some of the things quite similarly the way I am used to from home. I also loved the respect they had for me as a patient and the way they allowed me to have lot of questions and some, understandable anxiety. I think the fact that they had to go through the settling-in-the-new-country process themselves made them cut some slack to the worrywards like me . I think at the end of the day, it does not matter where one is from but how much that specific expert actually knows.

In a nutshell, true.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Laurence_PLover for this post:
  #9  
Old 29.08.2009, 20:13
Nev
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New English Family Doctor

This is good news for anybody who feels more comfortable consutling a native English speaker. I have to say though that I've lived here on and off for many years. In all that time I've seen my fair share of docs and I have to say that the overwhelming majority of I've come across (in Zurich and the Romande) speak pretty good English if necessary.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30.08.2009, 11:47
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Yes, right there
Posts: 858
Groaned at 42 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 194 Times in 145 Posts
zürihegel has slipped a little
Re: New English Family Doctor

Quote:
View Post
... Do you know, I really don't know what on earth you're on about..
If you don't know, why then do you post...? Put brain in gear before speaking out is a saying here in Switzerland
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at zürihegel for this post:
  #11  
Old 30.08.2009, 12:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New English Family Doctor

Quote:
View Post
If you don't know, why then do you post...? Put brain in gear before speaking out is a saying here in Switzerland
My brain is in wonderful gear, thanks for your concern.

I think you need to apply that little Swiss saying to yourself

Considering how many non-Swiss live here and have to get use to different accents from all over, and as Switzerland is slap-bang in the middle of Europe, your statement about accents is terribly ignorant. Maybe you think this is a forum for Swiss folk to give advice to Swiss folk do you? Are you then imparting valuable info that another Swiss person cannot have an native English-speaking doctor because they wouldn't trust her due to her accent?! Knowing quite a few Swiss after 10 years here, I know they would find what you have written to be incredibly ignorant. Astonishing!!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 30.08.2009, 19:46
Sky's Avatar
Sky Sky is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere special far away
Posts: 4,152
Groaned at 55 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 6,431 Times in 2,450 Posts
Sky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New English Family Doctor

It's a blessing to be able to communicate when you're in a no-nonsense serious medical situation.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sky for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 30.08.2009, 19:59
Nev
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New English Family Doctor

If anybody has a problem in finding a doctor who speaks their native language then all they have to do is call their embassy who'll have lists. As for Canariesfan's post, an English GP for those who want it can only be a plus.

The only point I'd make is that you may miss out if you let language become a barrier in terms of who you go to. One of the things I like about this country is the access to specialists. In England, GPs do most of the work. Here you can go direct to a specialist, be it gastro, gyno, dermatology, orthopedic, pediatrics etc. it's unlikely these'll be native English speakers but as I said before, most of these folks speak good English... albeit with an accent. Accents have never proved a barrier to me getting excellent healthcare here. I've never come across a doc I didn't trust or couldn't communicate with, and most times, if my language skills fail me and I have to resort to English, I'm left wishing my French and German could be as good as their English!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 30.08.2009, 20:06
allegra_:)
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New English Family Doctor

Quote:
View Post
Probably nice for English speaking people. But not a good recommendation for Swiss - six out of ten medics at this practice are Germans. Medicine is a matter of confidence which grows via the language... I know from experience, I used to live together with a medic who's foreign accent always was a barrier when working with patients.
Of course it's nice for English speaking people. The information was for them. Not for the Swiss.

Accent argument - yes and no:
Yes, it makes things easier when one can speak in one's own language or dialect.
No, reality looks a bit different. There are many doctors coming from abroad, working in Switzerland. While they do have accents, they can at the same time handle medical matters quite professionally.

In my opinion, it depends which medical field you require. While in an emergency or requiring a family doctor, I would prefer "my own language" or someone who is quite fluent in it. Whereas in a heart surgery I just don't care if the doc is nice, friendly, approachable or speaks "my" language perfectly.

http://www.doctor.ch/ - search engine for medicos

Last edited by allegra_:); 30.08.2009 at 20:08. Reason: addition of link
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 30.08.2009, 20:09
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,857
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New English Family Doctor

Ms.Caddick is not listed on the MZR team http://www.mzr.ch/aerzte.html
  • Is she licensed to practice in ZH?
  • Do the Swiss insurers recognize her?
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Goldtop for this post:
  #16  
Old 30.08.2009, 20:14
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,857
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New English Family Doctor

Quote:
View Post
Of course it's nice for English speaking people. The information was for them. Not for the Swiss.

Accent argument - yes and no:
Yes, it makes things easier when one can speak in one's own language or dialect.
No, reality looks a bit different. There are many doctors coming from abroad, working in Switzerland. While they do have accents, they can at the same time handle medical matters quite professionally.

In my opinion, it depends which medical field you require. While in an emergency or requiring a family doctor, I would prefer "my own language" or someone who is quite fluent in it. Whereas in a heart surgery I just don't care if the doc is nice, friendly, approachable or speaks "my" language perfectly.

http://www.doctor.ch/ - search engine for medicos
Such an expat may not have the necessary contacts to the local specialists, local hospitals, local social services, local authorities, local regulatory authorities, etc. That can be crucial when complexity prevails.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Goldtop for this post:
  #17  
Old 30.08.2009, 20:15
allegra_:)
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New English Family Doctor

Quote:
View Post
Ms.Caddick is not listed on the MZR team http://www.mzr.ch/aerzte.html
  • Is she licensed to practice in ZH?
  • Do the Swiss insurers recognize her?
Both can be found out easily. By phoning the admin team or while trying to make first appointment.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 30.08.2009, 20:20
allegra_:)
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New English Family Doctor

Quote:
View Post
Such an expat may not have the necessary contacts to the local specialists, local hospitals, local social services, local authorities, local regulatory authorities, etc. That can be crucial when complexity prevails.
Yes, that's what I meant.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 31.08.2009, 14:51
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich, Zumikon
Posts: 130
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 87 Times in 52 Posts
Canariesfan is considered knowledgeableCanariesfan is considered knowledgeableCanariesfan is considered knowledgeable
Re: New English Family Doctor

Quote:
View Post
Ms.Caddick is not listed on the MZR team http://www.mzr.ch/aerzte.html
  • Is she licensed to practice in ZH?
  • Do the Swiss insurers recognize her?
The MZR website is currently being updated to include Angela Caddick and provide an English link and should go live shortly. She is most definitely covered by Swiss insurance and licensed to practise in Canton Zurich.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 14.09.2009, 02:41
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: shaffhouson, Nuenkirch
Posts: 137
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 47 Times in 26 Posts
shazzles has no particular reputation at present
Re: New English Family Doctor

does this english doctor need an english nurse ???????
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
doctor, english speaking




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
English speaking doctor in Olten crombif Family matters/health 1 21.07.2009 08:56
Recommendation for Family Doctor in Dübendorf/Glattal Area? carcharhinus Family matters/health 5 27.04.2009 15:36
Looking for English speaking doctor in Hunenberg MAAH Family matters/health 5 02.06.2008 12:09
Swiss family looking for an english speaking family, Lucerne Andeli Family matters/health 2 08.01.2008 11:13
My family doctor died...looking for a new one in Zurich.... goodhill Family matters/health 2 25.02.2007 21:49


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0