Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12.12.2009, 23:00
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
beccyo has no particular reputation at present
C-Section in Zurich - no insurance!!

Hi, I'm new to this forum and have been reading a lot of the posts but I have to start from scratch - sorry if I have missed the info on another post!

My husband is starting a new job in Zurich in Jan and I am due to have baby number 2 in early Feb! We are moving to Zurich late December...From what I have seen I am not eligible for private health insurance for the birth but I need to have a c-section. Can anyone tell me where I can get info on what I need to do - register for doctor, etc on the public system???
I need to move quite quickly so really appreciate any advice or info.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12.12.2009, 23:12
Mel07's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 756
Groaned at 14 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 949 Times in 371 Posts
Mel07 has a reputation beyond reputeMel07 has a reputation beyond reputeMel07 has a reputation beyond reputeMel07 has a reputation beyond reputeMel07 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C-Section in Zurich - no insurance!!

Quote:
View Post
Hi, I'm new to this forum and have been reading a lot of the posts but I have to start from scratch - sorry if I have missed the info on another post!

My husband is starting a new job in Zurich in Jan and I am due to have baby number 2 in early Feb! We are moving to Zurich late December...From what I have seen I am not eligible for private health insurance for the birth but I need to have a c-section. Can anyone tell me where I can get info on what I need to do - register for doctor, etc on the public system???
I need to move quite quickly so really appreciate any advice or info.
Thanks
Hi Beccyo. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the impending new arrival.

I am no expert and others may have more info but I just wanted to let you know that as soon as you have your permit to live in Switzerland you are eligible for basic health insurance. In fact, you must, by law, get private health insurance.

Within that insurance you are covered for the birth of the baby in a public hospital. This would, I think, also cover a medically necessary c-section.

I arrived in Switzerland pregnant as well and bought my insurance 2 weeks before delivering my baby by c-section in a private clinic. The insurance company paid a pre-determined amount towards the birth (from memory it was something like 300+Chf for each day I was in the hospital) and since I was in a private clinic we had to top up the remainder ourselves.

There is a very helpful and knowledgable forum member called Jenny who knows everything to do with insurance. She has been very helpful to me personally and many others on the forum. You should contact her if you would like to speak to someone in english about your situation.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Mel07 for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 12.12.2009, 23:44
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,716
Groaned at 257 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 17,514 Times in 7,121 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C-Section in Zurich - no insurance!!

That's a great response from Mel07; I hope it helps to set your mind at rest, beccyo!

As Mel07 suggests, get in touch with Jenny asap! You can send her a PM (private message) from the link in Jenny's profile (click on her name in the previous sentence!)

Uh, sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs re. using forums but I don't know your skill level and I'd like to help you get your insurance sorted out asap.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 13.12.2009, 20:15
Mrs. Doolittle's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Tessin
Posts: 6,136
Groaned at 122 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 7,236 Times in 3,409 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C-Section in Zurich - no insurance!!

Quote:
View Post
Hi, I'm new to this forum and have been reading a lot of the posts but I have to start from scratch - sorry if I have missed the info on another post!

My husband is starting a new job in Zurich in Jan and I am due to have baby number 2 in early Feb! We are moving to Zurich late December...From what I have seen I am not eligible for private health insurance for the birth but I need to have a c-section. Can anyone tell me where I can get info on what I need to do - register for doctor, etc on the public system???
I need to move quite quickly so really appreciate any advice or info.
Thanks
Arranging health insurance can be done to be in place for when you arrive. You will need to find an OB/GYN (insurance company can recommend one) and do bring your medical records (scans, etc).
Medical care here is excellent so this is one thing you need not worry about. Probably what you will need is someone to help you out at home for when you have the baby and afterwards. Perhaps you have family already offering to stay with you, which is great.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 13.12.2009, 20:21
Blonaybear's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Blonay
Posts: 1,597
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 836 Times in 432 Posts
Blonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C-Section in Zurich - no insurance!!

The basic insurance includes a c-section providing it is considered necessary by the doctor.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blonaybear for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 13.12.2009, 20:25
Mrs. Doolittle's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Tessin
Posts: 6,136
Groaned at 122 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 7,236 Times in 3,409 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C-Section in Zurich - no insurance!!

Quote:
View Post
The basic insurance includes a c-section providing it is considered necessary by the doctor.
Absolutely. The medical records will help determine this. Many doctors are pro VBAC but it is not always possible. The hospital stay here after a C section is considerably longer than in some other countries, which is also not necessarily a bad thing.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 13.12.2009, 20:49
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: C-Section in Zurich - no insurance!!

Don't worry - I had to have a c-section and I had only basic insurance as I arrived here accidentally pregnant (still don't know how it happened - and people have even drawn diagrams and everything!). Hospitals here are like hotels - my stay was wonderful, and the care I received was excellent, as was the care for my preemie. I was in for six days - I think that's standard for a c-section.

Good luck with everything!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 13.01.2011, 19:57
rsimek's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: zürich
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rsimek has no particular reputation at present
Re: C-Section in Zurich - no insurance!!

Hi,
Could you Please tell me which hospital you have chosen ??and the doctor too.I have a due date in april 2nd 2011 ,quite tenssed .

Quote:
View Post
Don't worry - I had to have a c-section and I had only basic insurance as I arrived here accidentally pregnant (still don't know how it happened - and people have even drawn diagrams and everything!). Hospitals here are like hotels - my stay was wonderful, and the care I received was excellent, as was the care for my preemie. I was in for six days - I think that's standard for a c-section.

Good luck with everything!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What about a "Great Deals" section of the forum to complement the For Sale section? Chuff Forum support 11 18.07.2009 19:13
C-section and driving markalex Family matters/health 3 26.05.2009 09:48
Pets Section? IQ_QI Forum support 2 25.01.2008 14:34
URGENT PLZ>Cesarean section in USZ and I`ve basic insurance with wincare MOGA Insurance 8 27.09.2007 00:05
I was looking at the photo section... jamaicanRUM General off-topic 23 24.01.2007 12:49


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0