English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Family matters/health (https://www.englishforum.ch/family-matters-health/)
-   -   teething (https://www.englishforum.ch/family-matters-health/80140-teething.html)

mirfield 24.06.2011 14:59

Re: Teething meds
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mimi1981 (Post 1239846)
was a fraction away from dumping whiskey in her bottle. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky (Post 1239849)
I have been told on numerous occasions to rub whisky on his gums, figured it can't harm it's natural :D

Bonjela contains nearly as much alcohol as whiskey (just over 33%).

mimi1981 24.06.2011 15:01

Re: Teething meds
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirfield (Post 1239854)
Bonjela contains nearly as much alcohol as whiskey (just over 33%).


I know what I'll be having tonight then

MusicChick 24.06.2011 15:05

Re: Teething meds
 
Is Bonjela herbal? It's true there was alcohol in it, I remember trying it once on a canker sore of my bub, and it was a real no go. So, carrot it was for teething, anything rubbing and gnawing off the gum, hahaha, fast! All the teeth were alrite, but the mollars. Mimi, ours had thrush too, that's how I always knew it was the teething thing, annoying.

mimi1981 24.06.2011 15:08

Re: Teething meds
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 1239862)
Is Bonjela herbal? It's true there was alcohol in it, I remember trying it once on a canker sore of my bub, and it was a real no go. So, carrot it was for teething, anything rubbing and gnawing off the gum, hahaha, fast! All the teeth were alrite, but the mollars. Mimi, ours had thrush too, that's how I always knew it was the teething thing, annoying.

Nope it's not herbal. It's lidocaine and something else:

http://www.boots.com/en/Bonjela-Teething-Gel-15G_7720/

mirfield 24.06.2011 15:08

Re: Teething meds
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 1239862)
Is Bonjela herbal?

Ingredients
Lidocaine Hydrochloride (0.33% w/w), Cetalkonium Chloride (0.010% w/w), Ethanol 96% (33.45% w/w), Glycerol, Hypromellose 4500, Sodium Cyclamate, Banana Flavour and Water

I suppose the banana flavour might count as herbal....

NotAllThere 24.06.2011 15:08

Re: Teething meds
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 1239862)
Is Bonjela herbal?...

It's salicyclate, so in origin, yes, it's herbal.

Guest 24.06.2011 15:13

Re: teething
 
Just a word of caution with trying to advance the teething with abrasion (i.e. hard or splintery foods). My dental hygienist warned me that it can spark an infection which can end up being much more painful than the actual teething.

It's rare but it was enough to make me stick to a cooled gel teether ring for my son. Although we came out of the teething phase relatively unscathed.

My MIL had recommended bits of bread but that might have been done "in her day."

Nickers 24.06.2011 15:18

Re: teething
 
At the moment the green OSA gel on his dummy seems to do the trick the best. He's not really a chewer, he rarely chews anything or puts anything to his mouth that I give him so a teething ring is pointless, carrots and cucumber end up on the floor and hoovered up by the dog along with pieces of bread - but bread does seem to be the most successful for him chewing - in fact its about the only thing I have seen him chew

mimi1981 24.06.2011 15:19

Re: teething
 
Quote:

Just a word of caution with trying to advance the teething with abrasion (i.e. hard or splintery foods). My dental hygienist warned me that it can spark an infection which can end up being much more painful than the actual teething.

It's rare but it was enough to make me stick to a cooled gel teether ring for my son. Although we came out of the teething phase relatively unscathed.

My MIL had recommended bits of bread but that might have been done "in her day."

I heard the same thing from my little ones dentist. She advised to avoid crunchy food when she was teething for this reason and to stick to foods like pasta and mashed potato.

Each to their own in my opinion. I just manage each situation as it arises and hope that I do the right thing. It's mainly 70% guesswork, 10% advice and 20% common sense anyway......

MusicChick 24.06.2011 15:19

Re: teething
 
Watch out for phtalates in teething rings, though, they should have bisphenolA free written on them, should moms care for staying away from that. And I wouldn't cool it too much, to keep the circulation in the gum areas on normal level.

In fact I have seen these nifty phtalates free teething binkies here past few month, has anyone seen it too? Flat with ridges.
One thing my child didn't like was fresh bread, peculiarly. Not really crumbly stuff, but things that gave resistance.

mimi1981 24.06.2011 15:21

Re: Teething meds
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirfield (Post 1239868)
Ingredients
Lidocaine Hydrochloride (0.33% w/w), Cetalkonium Chloride (0.010% w/w), Ethanol 96% (33.45% w/w), Glycerol, Hypromellose 4500, Sodium Cyclamate, Banana Flavour and Water

I suppose the banana flavour might count as herbal....

Banana flavour!!! That would explain why she loves banana's and it may also account for the monkey like behaviour :msntongue:

mimi1981 24.06.2011 15:23

Re: teething
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 1239890)
Watch out for phtalates in teething rings, though, they should have bisphenolA free written on them, should moms care for staying away from that. And I wouldn't cool it too much, to keep the circulation in the gum areas on normal level.

In fact I have seen these nifty phtalates free teething binkies here past few month, has anyone seen it too? Flat with ridges.


I'm not being funny, but if I looked out for every nasty in everything that went in my daughter's mouth, then frankly I'd have to leave her in a padded cell. Of course I do my best to avoid things that aren't good for her but when someone buys your kid a gift and she then decides it's her favourite teething thing should I then bin it for fear of hidden nasties?

MusicChick 24.06.2011 15:37

Re: teething
 
Honestly, naw, I wouldn't over do it and panic, checking every single thing that ends up in the kiddo's mouth, nor feel bad, why...

But I'd be cautious of meds that would be longer period and, of bisphenolA plastic stuff, that child would be attached to and gnaw on for weeks on. Lidocaine for a day or two, I woudn't fret, with a week break. I wouldn't be so comfortable applying Lidocaine for a week or two, though. We are all different, this is not a recipe on how to deal with teething babes and moms.

mirfield 24.06.2011 15:40

Re: teething
 
Do they do anything with clove oil for babies?

I rub clove oil on my gums when I have toothache, It's wonderfulk stuff.

mimi1981 24.06.2011 15:44

Re: teething
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 1239924)
Honestly, naw, I wouldn't over do it and panic, checking every single thing that ends up in the kiddo's mouth, nor feel bad, why...

But I'd be cautious of meds that would be longer period and, of bisphenolA plastic stuff, that child would be attached to and gnaw on for weeks on. Lidocaine for a day or two, I woudn't fret, with a week break. I wouldn't be so comfortable applying Lidocaine for a week or two, though. We are all different, this is not a recipe on how to deal with teething babes and moms.

Well my one had Bonjela every night for 7 days at a time, with the doctors blessing. She didn't have anything in the daytime, just Bonjela and parats at night to help her (and me) sleep.

Luckily toys and other kids proved to be enough of a distraction in the daytime to stop her needing anything in her waking hours :)

As you say, there are no recipes for correct parenting, teething techniques or anything when it comes to kids. Each one is different and even what works one day for the same kid won't work for them the next day. I'm learning that the hard way at the moment as darling daughter is hitting that lovely tantrum stage that I was sooooo looking forward to :rolleyes:

mimi1981 24.06.2011 15:45

Re: teething
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirfield (Post 1239929)
Do they do anything with clove oil for babies?

I rub clove oil on my gums when I have toothache, It's wonderfulk stuff.


For you maybe, but for those of us near to you it's vile :msnsick:

Ever wondered why you find yourself alone when you have a toothache?

mirfield 24.06.2011 15:47

Re: teething
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mimi1981 (Post 1239941)
Ever wondered why you find yourself alone when you have a toothache?

Sometimes I don't even have toothache....

mimi1981 24.06.2011 15:50

Re: teething
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirfield (Post 1239946)
Sometimes I don't even have toothache....


And sometimes I don't have a headache

MusicChick 24.06.2011 15:58

Re: teething
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mimi1981 (Post 1239937)
As you say, there are no recipes for correct parenting, teething techniques or anything when it comes to kids. Each one is different and even what works one day for the same kid won't work for them the next day.

Totally. I enjoy chatting over parenting stuff, since lots of it is inspiring, I never expect people feel obligated to follow advice, since we are only brainstorming, nor telling people that the fact they decide to do things differently makes them bad parents, that's pretty clear, no reason to compare. But sharing ideas is fun. I feel we are too big for constant disclaimers on internet posting.

Quote:

I'm learning that the hard way at the moment as darling daughter is hitting that lovely tantrum stage that I was sooooo looking forward to :rolleyes:
Hmmmm....then they get into a super loyal, compliant ways, the authority pleasing phase, it's still super cute, but I kinda miss the spunk an drive of a mad tot, hahaha. The more hands on situations.

Clove for teeth? I thought adults only consume cloves in mulled wine and hot totties.

mirfield 24.06.2011 16:01

Re: teething
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 1239963)
hot totties.

I assume you mean hot toddies, but I'm all for trying hot totty to cure a toothache too :msntongue:


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:06.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0