Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.06.2011, 17:10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: N.Ireland
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweenstar has no particular reputation at present
Importing Food

Hi All,
Great Site.
I am heading to Kandersteg Scout Centre this summer and will be driving over from the UK. We are a forward party bringing equipment and food before the Scouts arrive. My question, which i am sure has been asked before, is what are the chances of being stopped at the Basel border on our way from Calais to Kandersteg. I have looked at the allowances with regards to fresh meat and we would be over this if we plan to bring what we had intended. We did intend to bring a reasonable amount of food with us for the 17 people for the 10 days. In reality it is all going in a 4x4 car etc therefore it's not a forty footer truck!! I have looked at the forum pages that date back to similar queries in 2008/2009. If anyone could tell me the current situation is regarding border searches or would the officers look differently upon a traveling party going to a Scout Camp?? We are picking up another leader in Basel hence the route.

Any help greatly appreciated

regards

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.06.2011, 17:33
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing Food

You are obliged to stop at the border and declare what you are bringing and pay the import duty on it. Bring your receipts it's easier that way.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 07.06.2011, 17:42
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: N.Ireland
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweenstar has no particular reputation at present
Re: Importing Food

Quote:
View Post
You are obliged to stop at the border and declare what you are bringing and pay the import duty on it. Bring your receipts it's easier that way.
I.E the receipts for the fresh meat are not over the max total allowance of 300CHF?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07.06.2011, 17:49
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,599
Groaned at 2,592 Times in 1,849 Posts
Thanked 39,694 Times in 18,713 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing Food

Quote:
View Post
I.E the receipts for the fresh meat are not over the max total allowance of 300CHF?
You have to pay import duty of around CHF 20/kg on any fresh meat over the 0.5kg per person limit, regardless of cost. The limit for poultry and game is much higher.

In the case of processed meats (hams, sausages, tinned, dried, etc.), it is 3.5 kg per person.

The CHF 300 is the tax free per person limit, but there are additional limits on quantity.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07.06.2011, 18:05
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,653
Groaned at 279 Times in 230 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing Food

Lets say you are talking 200g per person per day = 34kg of meat. How are you moving that about while keeping it cool enough to stop killing half the troop with salmonella!!!

You can buy cheap (but edible) sausages in Switzerland - we're not that backwards - and it will save you a lot of hassle.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 07.06.2011, 18:16
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing Food

Quote:
View Post
I.E the receipts for the fresh meat are not over the max total allowance of 300CHF?
Yes & No. The receipts often have quantities listed, because you need to stay over CHF per person plus as GG said, the allowed quantity of certain products, meat, poultry, etc.

Quote:
View Post
Lets say you are talking 200g per person per day = 34kg of meat. How are you moving that about while keeping it cool enough to stop killing half the troop with salmonella!!!

You can buy cheap (but edible) sausages in Switzerland - we're not that backwards - and it will save you a lot of hassle.
I was going to say the same thing (well, except for the sausage suggestion). But then I though "none of my business, none of my business".
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07.06.2011, 18:22
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: N.Ireland
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweenstar has no particular reputation at present
Re: Importing Food

Quote:
View Post
Lets say you are talking 200g per person per day = 34kg of meat. How are you moving that about while keeping it cool enough to stop killing half the troop with salmonella!!!

You can buy cheap (but edible) sausages in Switzerland - we're not that backwards - and it will save you a lot of hassle.
Thanks!! I have access into a food retailer in NI (hence the cost savings) that will vaccum pack everything in cool/ice boxes that will last a lot longer than needed for the journey, then its straight into the fridge. We will be buying some stuff there but we have been 6 times to Kander before and with costs of travel now so high we are balancing a good program and savings on food. Does the KG allowance apply to the party total rather than the people in the car?

thanks

chris
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07.06.2011, 18:43
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing Food

Quote:
View Post
Thanks!! I have access into a food retailer in NI (hence the cost savings) that will vaccum pack everything in cool/ice boxes that will last a lot longer than needed for the journey, then its straight into the fridge. We will be buying some stuff there but we have been 6 times to Kander before and with costs of travel now so high we are balancing a good program and savings on food. Does the KG allowance apply to the party total rather than the people in the car?

thanks

chris
It applies to the # of people in the car at the time you are traveling over the border. If possible you could split up the amounts in various cars. But then you'll need to split up the purchases (have separate receipts).

TBH, try to calculate the real cost of the meat, poultry including taxes and see if it's worth it, and/or change up your menus to reduce the amount of meat/poultry you bring. You can check prices on online shopping sites for CH like coop.ch and leshop.ch
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Importing pet food to europe hoslo Business & entrepreneur 1 30.05.2011 03:15
Importing pet food Village Idiot Pet corner 7 03.06.2010 14:28
Importing dog food from the US when moving? Switzerland2009 Pet corner 5 22.10.2009 14:12
The Myth of Pure Food (or Why Middle-Class Food Bores Are Just Kidding Themselves) Guest General off-topic 345 10.09.2009 18:53
New Business...importing things, clothing, food, misc things from the USA Wife of a swiss Business & entrepreneur 9 09.10.2007 15:05


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0