Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17.06.2011, 11:53
Newbie 1st class
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Geneva
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
lusonomad has no particular reputation at present
UK National Insurance refund?

My girlfriend living with me in Geneve is currently unemployed. She lived and worked in the UK for many years.
Can anyone tell me if she entitled to claim any kind of unemployment allowance from the UK?
If so, how do we sort this out?
Thank you
Reply With Quote
Old 17.06.2011, 12:26
Posts: n/a
Re: UK National Insurance refund?

If she was living in the UK she might be entitled to a job seekers' allowance, and that can be transferred here, but she has to go to UK to register as unemployed first.
Reply With Quote
Old 17.06.2011, 13:37
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 481
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 267 Times in 168 Posts
gourmet is considered knowledgeablegourmet is considered knowledgeablegourmet is considered knowledgeable
Re: UK National Insurance refund?

and you are not getting a refund as such but an allowance. You are also required to provide proof of job hunting and attend interview every fortnight. Not sure how that work if you do not live in the UK.
Reply With Quote
Old 17.06.2011, 14:37
Newbie 1st class
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Riehen, Basel
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Karen1983 has no particular reputation at present
Re: UK National Insurance refund?

My husband is in a similar situation, as he is not working.

There could be something you can do via HMRC in UK and then Switzerland, we are going through the process at the moment, which is getting the right documentation from HMRC for Switzerland and have been told this could take up to 4 months and then whatever needs to happen in Switzerland so not a quick process. It is not a refund, just be the same as she would be entitled to if living in the UK.

My husband is non resident in the UK, your girlfriend might have to be the same, I would recommend she calls this number +44 191 203 7010, explain situation, in Switzerland, not working, worked in UK blahblah, they could ask her to complete a formto request a statement of national insurance contrubitions, please note they ask for 3 - 5 years of P45, P11ds and final payslips in March for the last 3-5 years, luckily I had all this!!! Then HMRC sends the statement to you, this is the part which takes around 4 months and then you have to do something in Switzerland but we have not got that far yet so unsure if it is the RAV or somewhere else.

On another note, my husband has recently registered with RAV, although we are not entitled to anything as he has not worked in Swizterland he has a consultant which is good, better than no help if not working.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Karen1983 for this useful post:

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cantons refund Health Insurance Premiums armandair Insurance 4 07.04.2011 09:09
UK National Insurance Contributions Guy Lauterbrunnen Insurance 12 21.08.2009 19:18
National Insurance Contributions Price Increase (UK) jonnyt Permits/visas/government 27 27.06.2009 13:33
Car is kaputt - cancelling insurance-refund? maudthecat Insurance 6 11.06.2009 19:46
Swiss National Insurance Number - should I have one? kodokan Permits/visas/government 6 23.11.2008 14:36

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:46.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0